PDA

View Full Version : A happiness thread

Inhuman Bot
2008-05-26, 08:07 PM
I figure that because there is a depression thread, there shold be one for happiness. So here it is. Anyone have some luck recently? I just won a draw myself. :smallsmile:

Jack Squat
2008-05-26, 08:11 PM
I figure that because there is a depression thread, there shold be one for happiness. So here it is. Anyone have some luck recently? I just won a draw myself. :smallsmile:

that is awesome...what were the terms?

As for me, I have tomorrow off of work and I'm going to spend it with my girlfriend...watching Shooter and Firewall, and doing Wii Fit.

Days off rock :smallbiggrin:

Syka
2008-05-26, 09:01 PM
I just got to spend the weekend with my boyfriend and my roommate was out of town. So...we basically spent 30 hours playing GTA, watching Doctor Who, sleeping, making out on occasion, watching the Hitcher and a short film by a local group, and seeing Prince Caspian. Goooood weekend. :) Very nice to relax and forget the two papers totaling 9 pages that I have due Friday. :smalleek:

Cheers,
Syka

Copacetic
2008-05-26, 09:27 PM
I just got to spend the weekend with my boyfriend and my roommate was out of town. So...we basically spent 30 hours playing GTA, watching Doctor Who, sleeping, making out on occasion, watching the Hitcher and a short film by a local group, and seeing Prince Caspian. Goooood weekend. :) Very nice to relax and forget the two papers totaling 9 pages that I have due Friday. :smalleek:

Cheers,
Syka

Sounds like fun. :smallsmile:

I, on the other hand, had a so-so weekend. But still better than the crappy weekends I come to expect so, bonus optimist points for me.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-05-26, 09:32 PM

Cheers,
Syka

My weekend was just about the opposite

I got up at my normal time to go to work on Saturday (5:45). At 7, I left for the airport and took my flight from MSP to Ithaca Ny (via Detroit) for my brother's graduation at Cornell University, which I arrived in upstate New York at about 3:30 PM (in an airport that looks like it belonged in Wings). After the rest of the fam gathered, we went and walked around campus a bit, then went to the bro's fraternity for a barbecue hosted by all the graduating members, then went to the grocery store for ice and balloons for Sunday. We then went back to the hotel and went to bed. I got up around 6:00 or so on Sunday, and was at the stadium around 7 with my parents to save seats for everyone who came up (total of 14). from 7:30-10:00 or so, I went and saw the new artificial turf baseball field Cornell just put in, infield and all (what can I say, turf is my job). then walked down to Collegetown Bagels for breakfast, which consisted of coffee, and a pizza bagel sandwich with feta and pineapple, which were on the best damn bagel I've ever had. We then walked back to the stadium, and the ceremony started at 11, then immediately afterwards, went across the street for the Civ Eng ceremony. I then went and had the best ice cream in the world at the campus diary bar, went and picked up the food for our graduation party, waited an extra hour since they forgot to heat up the food that was supposed to be ho. We then went and had our festivities with aforementioned family members, and some of my brother's friends. We got back to the hotel at around 10PM, I went to bed at 11, then got up at 4:30, so I could catch my 6AM flight to Detroit. I got back home here in the Twin Cities around 11AM today, and haven't done much of anything but watch tv while I recover from the craziness experienced in Ithaca this weekend. As a note, if any of you ever get a chance to go visit that area of the country, especially if you like wine, do so asit's really something. On top of that the weather was actually nice up there, which from what I hear, is a real rarity.

You may now go back to get on topic.

ghost_warlock
2008-05-26, 09:43 PM
I had an alright weekend. I worked every night but about half the kiddies (including the one that's usually the hardest to work with) were on home-passes so it was really quiet.

Highlights:
* discovered Kingdom of Loathing (http://www.kingdomofloathing.com)
* discovered a webcomic called Red Meat (http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/) (CAUTION: not for kids!) :smalleek:
* got my druid on WoW to 28th level when I got home on Sunday
* had a massive argument with a guy on another message board, it started out being about misrepresentation and, after coming to an Understanding, turned into Solving the Worlds' Problems :smallsmile:
* had a curry for lunch on Sunday

Edit: forgot about the curry...I'm ashamed of myself :smalltongue:

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-26, 09:56 PM
Highlights:
* discovered Kingdom of Loathing (http://www.kingdomofloathing.com)

Good! Join the GITP clan!

Hm. This weekend, I was actually pretty bored and homesick. But the class I'm taking is going well. And today I made new friends! Sort of. They were people I knew of, but didn't know.

Agamid
2008-05-26, 10:05 PM
i had a very busy, but very cool weekend.

On saturday morning i was woken by my phone going off. It was my friend Rio and she wanted me to drive the Garden City shops and bring my reptile licence. Turns out she's bought me a gorgeous little lizard called Lucien, but not having a licence herself, couldn't take the little fella.

http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs28/300W/i/2008/145/8/7/Limpy_by_Armenius.jpg

She also bought me a life-sized and very life-like statue of a king cobra, that we've put next to the door so that people see it when they sit down to take their shoes off.
Then i went shopping and bought all but the top that i need for a costume party i'm going to, which was great, as i know where to find the top and was worried about everything else.

Sunday morning i went to a photography markets with my dad, little brother and friend sam.
i got a really amazing leather camera case - hand decorated - with a box brownie in it, a lieca pin for my friend and was given a Man Ray book for free. I also managed to get back into modeling as i met a photographer who is in need of a model of my size, shape and looks, which is fantastic!
Dad bought me lunch after that.
In the afternoon i went to (but didn't march in) the Brisbane Zombie Walk, which was great fun. We had a turn-out of over 1500 zombies, much better than the last 2 years.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/2520291463_9700fd2709.jpg?v=0 http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/2525650564_2a8849c0cd.jpg?v=0 <-- Danzaver

Skippy
2008-05-26, 11:06 PM
It's been awesome times.

I've seen Iron Man twice, Prince Caspian and Indiana Jones, within a week. All three of them with a pair of gorgeous girls. I got two awesome posters at work as a reward for my efforts. I found out that a girl that I like also likes me.

That's enough to make me happy.

Em Blackleaf
2008-05-26, 11:47 PM
On Saturday, I went to a pool party and saw some people I entirely forgot about (that's how long it's been since I've seen them).

On Sunday I did absolutely nothing except write a report about Ulysses S. Grant. I feel very smart, because I wrote most of it off the top of my head.

I just got to hang out with my best friend today. Who I get to see all the time anyway, but I like being at her house. I thought we were going to work on that history project, but she had her share done and I had my share done, so we just ate, talked, and walked around the block.

Also the song I'm listening to is making me very happy. :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-26, 11:58 PM
I should stop reading this thread, you're all making me jaelous.:smallfrown:

Skippy : Can I borrow your life?

Ishmael
2008-05-27, 12:27 AM
Hmm...this weekend was amazing, which I am very happy about.

Friday night I saw Iron Man, which was awesome.

On Saturday, I got to take a hike in the morning, which really wasn't intensive, but it was satisfying enough. I got my hiking fix. Then I got to go to work and make money, always good. After that, I had a great dinner and went cycling for 12 miles, just to burn off some steam.

Sunday I worked for eight hours, went home, and had a party with some family friends. Good times.

Today, more work, and I got a chance to write in my journal about some issues that I've been avoiding admitting to myself.

I am happy.

Solo
2008-05-27, 12:49 AM

True happiness can only be achieved though the slaughter of the servants of Ruinous Powers!

Skippy
2008-05-27, 07:36 AM
I should stop reading this thread, you're all making me jaelous.:smallfrown:

Skippy : Can I borrow your life?

I'm afraid I'm using it right now, I'm sorry. Maybe next time...

Inhuman Bot
2008-05-27, 12:20 PM
You have to admit though solo, We get pretty good benefits. Have you ever seen those gutairs my 1st edition minions got?

Lorn
2008-05-27, 12:32 PM
Well...

Got to hit someone with a sword among other things on Saturday at a Regia show. Then spent the evening drinking with a bunch of likeminded people.

Watched aforementioned person shout "THEGNY WANNA SWORD" and "THEGNY WANNA HELMET" among other strange, strange things on Sunday when I was too tired to do anything.

Took advantage of a free house on Sunday night through to Monday late evening, getting my (now) girlfriend over. Much fun was had, many movies were ignored, we finally became official.

Life is good.

SDF
2008-05-27, 12:41 PM
Well progress for my trip to Sierra Leone next summer is coming along well. I might even go for a preliminary trip this Christmas. My epidemiological research on their water and health is even going to get me research credits and a probable publication in a scientific journal.

I will have a paid summer research internship as an ecologist at the USGS this summer.

My friends and I are looking into opening an artsy, indie, hookah/coffee shop which would solve a lot of money problems for me, and be an awesome place to hang out.

I just moved apartments, and am now rooming with three friends. Two of them are musicians as well as I am, so we are going to jam a lot.

Jibar
2008-05-27, 12:48 PM
My friends and I are looking into opening an artsy, indie, hookah/coffee shop which would solve a lot of money problems for me, and be an awesome place to hang out.

I am now incredibly jealous of you.
Incredibly.

What? I got no happiness to add. I'm an obsessive compulsive toteophobic depressive with God knows how many other neuroses. Happiness is an alien concept to me.

Apart from seeing Madeline the other day...

Now you're confused, huh?

Dragonrider
2008-05-27, 01:07 PM
This weekend I....

-Regained a friend I thought I'd lost
-Learned another friend is coming to see me
-Hung out with awesome people
-Listened to good music
-Learned that I can still have a meaningful conversation with someone even if I don't like them as a person

'course, I also slept about 10 out of 72 hours. :smalltongue: I can barely keep my eyes open.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-27, 01:13 PM
I'm afraid I'm using it right now, I'm sorry. Maybe next time...
Darnit, I shall have to convince/hire/bribe I'm Da then...

OwlbearUltimate
2008-05-27, 01:59 PM
My weekend was ok, but the highlight was definately renting Da Ali G Show Season 1 with a friend. IMO I thought it was better than Borat. If you liked Borat, I highly recommend renting it. Most of it is Ali G doing interveiws with political figures (The interveiw with the Sergeon General was the best) I am going to rent season 2 this weekend, so I'll update this thread soon enough :smallwink:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-27, 02:34 PM
Your happiness thread cannot last! They never do! The Depression Thread, however, will go on and on! And we of the DT will do what we can to see that your pathetic attempts to cheer people up will come to a dismal end. Stop the happiness before it spreads! I'm completely kidding, of course. Just Bor being silly.
:smallamused:

d'Bwobsling
2008-05-27, 04:15 PM
^that was kind of obvious
I this contagious?!? :smalleek:
*puts on a gas mask*

Player_Zero
2008-05-27, 04:29 PM
I'm feelin' pretty good right now... Even though I suppose you could say I am the most stressed I have ever been.

While my future career and whatnot hinges on my actions in the next couple of weeks I'm still feeling glad that at least I will have a nice long holiday from everything startin' at the end of my exams.

Good ol' irrational happiness... Too bad irrational depression is usually just around the corner.

Castaras
2008-05-27, 04:34 PM
I'm very happy because right at this moment I am:

a - On holiday
b - Talking to the guy I love. ^,^

The Rose Dragon
2008-05-27, 04:37 PM

a - On holiday

I am very unhappy because right at this moment I am the exact opposites of those things (both not on holiday and not talking to the girl I like (love is a lie propagated by the world governments to keep you in the dark from the real secret behind Roswell)).

So, since I'm unhappy, all happy people must die. I'll just start with you for now.

Castaras
2008-05-27, 04:42 PM
Blaaargh.

I is teh deaded lulz.

Still happy though! :smallbiggrin:

Kaelaroth
2008-05-27, 04:51 PM

a - On holiday

Honestly, you didn't have to tell everyone about us already! :smalltongue:

Seriously, though - good on y'all happy folks. May you stay like that forever and ever.

Jae
2008-05-27, 05:26 PM
Okay I actually have a bajillion reasons to be happy right now!
Only a four day week yeeeah. It's going to go by pretty fast is my guess. which is exciting in itself. Uhmm I told two of my friends we had to hang out at some point this week. which im hoping i can fit in and thatll be good =]

Tommorow is wed, right? Well me&abestie will be studying which usually ends up in half fun and i have to ask her about going to this pizza thing so if we do that, that'll def be cool. AND MY FRIEND COMES HOME FOR NINE DAYS TOMMOROW!!!! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: Toooommmmmoooooorrrrrroooooowwwww after months. amazing!

So this friday Ill be doing the sleepover thanggg with the same friend ill be studying with. which will be amazing. either saturday or sunday me and a really good old friend should be going to the movies..indy jones maybe?? or this new horror. chyeah. And saturday night i think will be a movie night for the friend thats coming home @ another good friends house. movie nights with those people are always completely amazing.

and on top of this, like, amazing week plan ive got going on...today was brilliant. I got great advice, from a teacher no less. My best friend who i never get to see has been facebooking me videos that are hilarious and it feels like we're joking irl again and thats amazing :smallbiggrin: got to have a long convo && make plans with somebody i hadnt talked to for awhile. (plans for next week, hence why they werent mentioned.) the day flew by && i absolutely loved it.

Im excited. about my entire flipping life :smallsmile:

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-27, 06:01 PM
I look forward to this weekend very much, for my friends are coming down from EC to save me from the dullness that is summer school!

Jagg
2008-05-27, 06:06 PM
I'm very happy at present for the following reasons...

* My brother and his family arrive soon and I haven't seen them in AGES :smallbiggrin: It will be great to catch-up.

* I get to go to Gencon for at least one day :)

* Um without revealing too much of myself...I helped some relatives make $252,000.00 yesterday. booya!!

Thats enough to make me happy.

Player_Zero
2008-05-27, 06:09 PM
I'm happy that I get to sleep in as long as I like. :smallsmile:

Inhuman Bot
2008-05-27, 07:30 PM
Your happiness thread cannot last! They never do! The Depression Thread, however, will go on and on! And we of the DT will do what we can to see that your pathetic attempts to cheer people up will come to a dismal end. Stop the happiness before it spreads! I'm completely kidding, of course. Just Bor being silly.
:smallamused:

wow bor calm down. Just trying to spread the happiness..

And by that, I mean recruit followers. Hey kids, uncle Slaanesh wants YOU to join the emperors children! you get gutars! You KNOW you want to!

Dave Rapp
2008-05-27, 07:40 PM
Happy... happy... hmm. Good question.

Last night I identified and removed a rather annoying negative influence on my life. This morning I beat the Elite Four in Pokémon Diamond. At school, after we had all finished the Final, we all played Halo on the comps for a while and I purposely crashed two banshees into the enemy base, which generated lots of laughs. For the second final of the day I designed a whole website in under two hours, which was a major ego boost. I met my friend's girlfriend's mom, who had a really nice car. And I just finished (like 5 minutes ago, siruzly d00ds) what may be my best comic strip yet.

So lots of Yays all around! :smallbiggrin:

Ranna
2008-05-28, 08:45 AM
I find myself most happy over the most inane little things in life, a funny thought as I walk along brings a smile to my face, rays of sunshine light up my life.

And today my happy thought comes from the new-found knowledge of "why I was never able to float very well as a child". I used to hate those swimming lessons where you had to lie on your back and float for ages I always was rubbish at it, and finally after a whole 5mins searching (on a completely non-related topic) I stumbled across the reason. And its a good one too.. So now all my fears over my inability to float have been washed away

ahhhhhhhhh

Happy happy happy....

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-28, 08:44 PM
I this contagious?!? :smalleek:
*puts on a gas mask*

Not only is it contagious, but there is no known cure, and it's terminal. Go forth, my young warriors, and stamp out happiness wherever you see it! Hurry, before we all smile ourselves to death!

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-28, 08:51 PM
I can't see this without giggling
http://community.livejournal.com/scans_daily/2747341.html?page=1#comments

Warning: Contains batman

evnafets
2008-05-28, 08:54 PM

In the depression thread, people offer advice and support so that the poster no longer feels depressed.
So we should be offering advice here so that the posters no longer feel happy?

:smallbiggrin:

Uncle Festy
2008-05-28, 09:00 PM
@^: Yes! It's urgent that we do so!
Smiling takes more muscles then frowning! If we smile too much, we'll exhaust ourselves to death!
Depress! Depress!
EDIT: Hey, I hit Bugbear. Happy! :smallbiggrin:

Castaras
2008-05-29, 09:08 AM
It's the other way round, isn't it?

47 muscles to frown, 18 to smile, or something like that.

Jokerz
2008-05-29, 12:30 PM
WHEEEE!!! I just finished my finals for school, saw Iron Man, saw my girlfriend from Duke TIP, and am going to get Brawl in a week. Oh, and I just got Iron Cannon in Rumble Fighter. I love this week.

B-Man
2008-05-29, 12:39 PM
I've been on a pretty high note this week. I spent my Sunday evening having dinner with my aunt, who I haven't seen in a few years. I spent my Monday gardening with my friend and we had a Halo binge at her place afterward.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-29, 02:18 PM
My wife told me that my 1-year old daughter took her first steps unsupported today. And quickly proceeded to crash all around the house from one furniture item to another, bonking her head quite frequently, but still very much enjoying her new ability, doing a little dance and clapping after each successful traverse of a room.

And that makes me happy :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-29, 03:16 PM
Tomorrow I get to go dress shopping. And being female, I secretly enjoy clothes shopping.
And then the next day, my friends come down to visit, and it will be exciting. :smallbiggrin: