PDA

View Full Version : Question with 4e Paladin Mark

xirr2000
2008-05-26, 10:47 PM
So in our adventure so far I have been playing a paladin. I like the mark because sometimes the DM forgets his monster is marked and takes a swing at another character either because its more tactically sound to do so or because its an opportunity attack or because he just plain forgot he was marked. In our last adventure he said, "well the creature probably would not have forgotten". My question is: Is it the PCs job to remind the DM of marks? From a roleplay perspective it makes sense, a creature I assume knows its marked and has some burning knowledge that he must hit the paladin or else it's goin to hurt. But at the same time I love reminding the DM after the fact when he forgets. How are you all handling this?

Rebonack
2008-05-26, 10:53 PM
I would say a level 2 kobold would have no idea what this spooky fiery stuff is and what it does. They might be able to figure it out through trial and error (I don't get burned when I swat the dragon guy in all the armor) but by that time they'll probably be dead anyway.

Stick a marker of some kind on the monster so it will be clear that they're painted. If your DM has them attack someone else that's what the monster tried to do. Either they made a mistake or they're just determined to attack someone else or they are clueless about the mark.

holywhippet
2008-05-26, 10:56 PM
Are you using miniatures for your battles. If so, I'd use something like a plastic ring or something to clearly indicate which critter you have marked. If not, the DM should use a pencil mark or something on the sheet they are keeping track of enemies on to indicate that they are marked. I would allow the DM to take back their move if they forgot something.

That reminds me, in one game session a goblin wizard cast web on our fighter, then whacked him with a flaming sphere setting the webs on fire. Three goblins ran forward to attack in melee and I asked the question "Did those goblins just run into burning webs?". Our DM reconsidered and decided that no, they didn't.

Roderick_BR
2008-05-27, 06:25 AM
Ask your DM if he wants you to remind him or not. He may even say he doesn't need to, meaning that if he forgets, then the monster forgot, and you get the bonuses. If he asks to, then do it, even if just to be fair to the DM that need to keep track of tons of things at once.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-27, 06:40 AM
I believe that by the rules, the target cannot forget, since (regardless of intelligence and other scores) the target of an ability always knows exactly what the ability does to him.