PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Infested Builds

JeminiZero
2008-05-27, 03:18 AM
Dear Forum, partly inspired by this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80968), I am trying to come up with a viable build centred around the Chicken Infested Commoner Flaw, mainly for laughs. I am already aware of the exalted flaming chicken thrower (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=844086), but I am now trying to come up something else. My only idea so far has been...

The War-Cluck: 1 Commoner / X Warlock. Combine Warlock Dead Walk, and a limitless supply of chickens for... a personal army of Zombie Chickens! You have to be at least 1 Commoner / 6 Warlock to start off. And you need some means of quick-drawing as many chickens as needed, and killing them all as a move or free action. Then you could animate their corpses with a standard action in the same round.

E.g. Since you can animate 2x your warlock level in undead, at 1 Commoner / X Warlock, you need to quickdraw X * 2 HD worth of chickens or X * 4 live chickens since they are 1/4 HD, becoming 1/2 HD on Zombification (I assume they are 1/4 HD based on the rather similiar Raven (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Raven)). After quickdrawing them, you need to kill them in a move or free action, and then you can animate them all as a standard action in the same round. If anyone knows of any feat, abilities or combinations thereof that allows one to kill such large numbers of quickdrawn chickens as move or free action, let me know.

Even if doing so as a move action is not possible, as long as you can generate a huge number of quickdrawn dead chickens, as a Full round action, you could make a stockpile of chicken corpses in the 1st round, and then animate a portion of it each subsequent round.

The method of last resort is to build the chicken corpse pile before the fight starts, the normal slow way, and shove them all into a bag of holding. And then flip the bag inside out when you need them (as with any other Warlock, really except you can garuntee your corpse supply in between fights).

Of course, even if I do manage to pull off animating (Warlock level * 4) zombie chickens per round, I'm not sure how viable the build will be. The zombie chicken attacks will only hit on a natural 20, so at level 7 (warlock 6) with 48 zombie chickens in your army, one might expect 2.4 hits per round, doing a measly 1 HP or so damage per hit. Not much damage, and any sort of DR will stop all damage. But presumably, being mobbed by 48 zombie chickens should be more than enough to stop whatever enemy you are facing dead in its tracks (and any killed can be quickly replenished), while the Wizard tries to nail them with a Split Ray Chained Enervation.

And this scales to a total of 152 zombie chickens at level 20 (warlock 19) averaging 7.6 hits per round. One might try to enhance the damage using Corpse Crafter and Deathly Chill to add 1d6 cold damage per hit, giving 2.4-7.6d6 cold damage (average 8.4-26.6) per round which is rather poor damage. Fortunately you have your other Warlock abilities to back you up.

One might also add Destructive Retribution for a 10' 1d6 negative energy burst on undead chicken death. The trouble of course is that the burst has a tendency to kill you should you get caught in it and the party fighter flanking enemy being meleed by chickens, unless you have tomb tainted soul. Trouble then becomes that your undead chicken horde is useless against the undead (since killing a chicken heals both your chicken army and the enemy undead they are meleeing). However, if you do take Destructive Retribution/Tomb Tainted Soul, you can suddenly heal yourself, on top of flooding your enemies with suicide bomber chickens.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ways of Killing NI quickdrawn chickens per round? Other possible Chicken Infested builds?

Cuddly
2008-05-27, 03:21 AM
Commoner 1/Cleric19. DMM persist greater consumptive field.

marjan
2008-05-27, 04:59 AM
Ways of Killing NI quickdrawn chickens per round?

Fell Flight. Though you would need to be at least lvl8 Warlock for this. Any form of flying will do. Just fly 10ft above ground and drop chickens. Some might survive (what's HP of chickens anyway), but you should be able to kill at least 1/6 of total amount of chickens drawn.

JeminiZero
2008-05-27, 06:48 AM
Commoner 1/Cleric19. DMM persist greater consumptive field.

Hmmm... If I recall correctly Consumptive field grants you temp HP, Str bonus and caster level bonus when cast. Is it applied immediately to anything entering it, or only at the end of your turn? If the former, you can consume chickens immediately upon drawing them, and can effectively consume NI chickens for NI bonus. If the latter, than you can only consume as many chickens who can fit in your field at the end of each round.

Fell Flight. Though you would need to be at least lvl8 Warlock for this. Any form of flying will do. Just fly 10ft above ground and drop chickens. Some might survive (what's HP of chickens anyway), but you should be able to kill at least 1/6 of total amount of chickens drawn.

Depending on who you ask, Chickens may or may not have flight speed. If they do have flight speed, then they can't be dropped to death.

If they don't have flight speed, then you could actually pull something like this off at Warlock 6, provided you had a surface to spiderwalk on. But you would have to spend time moving from the ground up and back again should you run out of chicken corpses mid-fight.

It would be more ideal if you could just kill the Chickens immediately when they are quick drawn. Maybe ranks in Profession: Poultry Neck Snapper? Gloves that deal damage to something in your hand as a free action?

Swooper
2008-05-27, 08:26 AM
...Ok, what the hell? I've seen wacky stuff in D&D before, but spontaneously generating chickens? Where is this from? :smalleek:

JeminiZero
2008-05-27, 08:38 AM
...Ok, what the hell? I've seen wacky stuff in D&D before, but spontaneously generating chickens? Where is this from? :smalleek:

This post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4348855&postcount=27) explains the flaw and how it might be abused.

So you can try and come up with builds based on this flaw that are less abusive (and more DM acceptable) than flooding the world with Chickens. Because the only thing funnier than killing your enemy, is doing so with massive numbers of spontaneously generated chickens.

Notably, Arcane and "Mundane" Ranged Builds aren't nearly as compatible with this flaw since you may draw a chicken when you really wanted a spell component, or ammo for your mundane ranged attack. (Edit: Unless Chickens are your Ammo, as with the Exalted Flaming Chicken Thrower.)

monty
2008-05-27, 08:40 AM
It's a special commoner flaw from one of the Dragon magazines (don't have time to check which one right now). There're a couple of others too.

Zenos
2008-05-27, 08:48 AM
When you need to escape a monster that TPK'ed your party, just make a five mile high pilar of chickens. Good bye monster, I'm now five miles higher than you!

Or just fill the room with chickens so it suffocates.

Swooper
2008-05-27, 08:51 AM
Wait a second. By the logic presented in the post you linked, the same thing could be done with a single spell components pouch, on the assumption that it never runs out. You don't create chickens, but you can do essentially the same with... oh, I don't know, bat poo? :smallconfused:

It's really just a silly interpretation of the simplification of spell components pouches... but then, filling the world with chickens in the blink of an eye is pretty awesome in a way, so I forgive you :smallcool:

jcsw
2008-05-27, 09:11 AM
Quick Draw only allows you to draw weapons as a free action, IIRC, good thing the material component of Melf's Acid Arrow is a dart, so there are a NI amount of darts in a spell component pouch for you to use.

And btw, chickens can still use their wings to slow their fall, although I'm not sure how far you can drop them before they can't survive.

Yeah, and the greater consumptive field thing is sick, try fell animate DMM-ing it.

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-27, 09:34 AM
Commoner 1/ Cleric 2 (to get 3 Hit Dice and the next feat) with Profane Lifeleech. Generate an arbitrary number of chickens as a free action and Lifeleech them for HP.

Drunken Master builds are impressive- TWF chickens for damage...

Take Solo's Battle Bard, add something to make opponents flat-footed (Hold Person is good), and Iaijutsu Chicken them to death.

Solo
2008-05-27, 09:37 AM
Wait a second. By the logic presented in the post you linked, the same thing could be done with a single spell components pouch, on the assumption that it never runs out. You don't create chickens, but you can do essentially the same with... oh, I don't know, bat poo? :smallconfused:

Turn a Decanter of Endless Sand on flow, throw it in a Bag of Holding, and start drawing out handfuls of sand.

Next!

Fishy
2008-05-27, 10:25 AM
This sounds like a job for Nanobots. Say, Commoner 1/Swordsage X/ Exemplar. Create an arbitrary number of chickens with 13 ranks in Jump, have them all Aid Another at you, ascend into Valhalla in a blur of feathers and clucking, to never be seen in the mortal world again.

Except that doesn't actually work, because you don't have control over the chickens. Hrm.

EDIT: Infinite chickens + Exemplar + Handle Animal?

JeminiZero
2008-05-27, 10:35 AM
Quick Draw only allows you to draw weapons as a free action, IIRC, good thing the material component of Melf's Acid Arrow is a dart, so there are a NI amount of darts in a spell component pouch for you to use.

True. I suppose any Chicken Infested build would have to rely on spell component pouch free action draw then.

Commoner 1/ Cleric 2 (to get 3 Hit Dice and the next feat) with Profane Lifeleech. Generate an arbitrary number of chickens as a free action and Lifeleech them for HP.

Its not really an arbitrary number of chickens. You can only fit so many chickens within Profane Lifeleech's 30' burst. And each chicken only provides 1 HP (if you assume the Chicken is like a Raven). Although it is a good way for an evil cleric to heal early on, before he gets consumptive field.

You could also tag on a 1 Cleric/1 Commoner splash on any primary Cha build (since Rebuke Undead gains more uses with higer Cha). Maybe even the War-Cluck described above.

Take Solo's Battle Bard, add something to make opponents flat-footed (Hold Person is good), and Iaijutsu Chicken them to death.

Where is this Iaijutsu from and what does it do?

EDIT: Infinite chickens + Exemplar + Handle Animal?

I'm not sure how well that would work. It is impractical to transport thousands of trained chickens around since they can be killed quite quickly in a fight. You might use this to help the wizard craft stuff in the safety of your base, but not to boost the AB/AC of a fighter in mid combat.

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-27, 10:41 AM
Oriental Adventures, Iaijutsu Focus basically lets you deal+someD6 damage when you attack a flat-footed enemy immediately after drawing a weapon.

Wabbajack
2008-05-27, 11:16 AM
Commoner1/ anything with base willsave 5 and 15 int and cha

Just take the dark speech feat, a wand of restoration and craft an army of chicken hiveminds^^

Duke of URL
2008-05-27, 11:26 AM
I'm thinking Dread Necromancer with a Fell Animated Negative Energy Aura active. The zombie chickens don't rise until your next turn, but you can keep the supply going indefinitely round to round, limited only by how many chickens you can pack into the aura's radius, and how fast the zombie chickens can move out. Once you've started the cycle, you don't even need to take move or standard actions to continue it (though, controlling/changing commands for the zombies does require an action).

Tack on Destructive Retribution, pack a wand of a low-level AOE spell, and start the kamikaze chicken runs.

Solo
2008-05-27, 12:01 PM
Oriental Adventures, Iaijutsu Focus basically lets you deal+someD6 damage when you attack a flat-footed enemy immediately after drawing a weapon.

You make a Iaijutsu check, modified by charisma.

A result of 10-14 gives you 1d6 additional damage, 15-20 gets you 2d6, etc, etc, caps at 9d6.

Aquillion
2008-05-27, 12:03 PM
Wait a second. By the logic presented in the post you linked, the same thing could be done with a single spell components pouch, on the assumption that it never runs out. You don't create chickens, but you can do essentially the same with... oh, I don't know, bat poo? :smallconfused:Brilliant! We now have an answer to what happens when you start to fill the world with chickens: A wizard, somewhere in the world, must have Celerity memorized. He sees a solid wall of chickens approaching from all corners of the earth, stretching from horizon to horizon, all the way up into the stars. With his genius-level 36 int, he realizes in an instant what has happened... and he responds by casting celerity and frantically trying to pull bat poop out of his spell component pouch quickly enough to block the encroaching tidal wave of chickens off.

Tokiko Mima
2008-05-27, 01:37 PM
Brilliant! We now have an answer to what happens when you start to fill the world with chickens: A wizard, somewhere in the world, must have Celerity memorized. He sees a solid wall of chickens approaching from all corners of the earth, stretching from horizon to horizon, all the way up into the stars. With his genius-level 36 int, he realizes in an instant what has happened... and he responds by casting celerity and frantically trying to pull bat poop out of his spell component pouch quickly enough to block the encroaching tidal wave of chickens off.

Kind of like a 'grey goo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo) stopped by bat poo' scenario.... :smalltongue:

Technically, just with the fireball (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fireball.htm) spell components, you could create a massive gunpowder based explosive device as a free action, since manipulating spell components is also a free action.

JeminiZero
2008-05-27, 11:32 PM
I'm thinking Dread Necromancer with a Fell Animated Negative Energy Aura active. The zombie chickens don't rise until your next turn, but you can keep the supply going indefinitely round to round, limited only by how many chickens you can pack into the aura's radius, and how fast the zombie chickens can move out. Once you've started the cycle, you don't even need to take move or standard actions to continue it (though, controlling/changing commands for the zombies does require an action).

Tack on Destructive Retribution, pack a wand of a low-level AOE spell, and start the kamikaze chicken runs.

My main concern with taking Chicken Infested with any sort of component requiring Caster, is that when you actually want spell components, you may end up pulling Chickens from your pouch (warlocks don't require components and so this isn't a concern). Also:

Even if you kill several creatures with a single Fell Animated spell, you can’t create more HD of undead than twice your Caster level. The standard rules for controlling Undead (PH p198) apply to Zombies created with this feat.

Which strictly means no matter how many chickens you pull fron thin air and kill with the spell, you can only animate 2x caster level HD worth of undead with a single casting.

Right. Next question would be how are you going to catch your foe flat-footed. Hold Person would work, but if they are already held, they are pretty much dead anyway, and not everything can be held. Maybe Feint or Hide in Plain Sight?

Also, you won't be hitting very much with the chickens since they can't be enchanted, at least not without Drunken Master and VoP (as per the exalted flaming chicken thrower), or Psionic Meditation/Deep Impact or Fell Shot (does Iaiajutsu apply to range?).

Commoner1/ anything with base willsave 5 and 15 int and cha

Just take the dark speech feat, a wand of restoration and craft an army of chicken hiveminds^^

Never heard of Dark Speech so I tried googling it.

2. When used to create a hivemind among vermin, the speaker can affect up to 200 creatures under 1 HD. The speaker may also use the Dark Speech in additional ways. The DC for these powers is 5 + speaker's HD + speaker's Cha bonus. These abilities all deal 1d4 points of temporary Charisma damage to the speaker with each use.

If I understand this correctly, you can create a single 200 chicken hivemind, but you burn 1d4 Cha for each command you give it. What are the stats of a Chicken Hivemind, and how well does it scale?

Still no way of killing chickens as move/free action?

Solo
2008-05-27, 11:35 PM
If only there was some way for you to Eschew Material components.

Aquillion
2008-05-27, 11:40 PM
My main concern with taking Chicken Infested with any sort of component requiring Caster, is that when you actually want spell components, you may end up pulling Chickens from your pouch (warlocks don't require components and so this isn't a concern).So? It's a free action. If you get a chicken, just try again until you get the bat poop.

Cuddly
2008-05-27, 11:57 PM
Hmmm... If I recall correctly Consumptive field grants you temp HP, Str bonus and caster level bonus when cast. Is it applied immediately to anything entering it, or only at the end of your turn? If the former, you can consume chickens immediately upon drawing them, and can effectively consume NI chickens for NI bonus. If the latter, than you can only consume as many chickens who can fit in your field at the end of each round.

Anything with 9 or less HP within the radius (it lasts rounds/level) that fails it saves immediately dies. For each creature that dies, you gain +2 str, +1 CL, and +1d8 temp HP. CL caps at 1/2 total your original caster level.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-28, 01:42 AM
CL caps at 1/2 total your original caster level.
Which is why, once your CL is maxed, you recast it.

Original CL: 13
1st casting: 19
2nd casting: 28
3rd casting: 42
4th casting: 66
5th casting: 99

That should be enough for most purposes.

JeminiZero
2008-05-28, 02:52 AM
If only there was some way for you to Eschew Material components.

Ah yes. How could I forget that feat.

Anything with 9 or less HP within the radius (it lasts rounds/level) that fails it saves immediately dies. For each creature that dies, you gain +2 str, +1 CL, and +1d8 temp HP. CL caps at 1/2 total your original caster level.

The question is whether "original caster level" refers to effective caster level (including consumptive field caster level bonus) when you (re)cast the spell, or your original unenhanced caster level. If the latter, then it won't stack up as quickly.

Still, Consumptive Field may be the solution to the Warlock Chicken Corpse Supply problem.

So you could make a Chicken Infested Eldritch Disciple, and when enemies shows up, cast Consumptive Field, and flood the field with Chickens (who die on entering the field). Cast Dead Walk on Chicken Corpses, and send out wave after wave of Zombie Chickens at your enemies. If and when your enemies do get close, they will be surprised when you smash them with your 300+ Str.

Edit: Anyone know of anyway of immediately commanding the chickens when they appear? Then you could use them directly as attack chickens, and the Nano-bot idea might be feasible.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-28, 02:56 AM
The question is whether "original caster level" refers to effective caster level (including consumptive field caster level bonus) when you (re)cast the spell, or your original unenhanced caster level. If the latter, then it won't stack up as quickly.
Any reference to caster level in any spell is referring to your CL at the time you cast the spell. No spell in the entire game makes a distinction between your unenhanced CL and your CL at the time of casting.

JeminiZero
2008-05-28, 09:35 AM
Well, lets see if I got this correct:

Tentative Name: Unlimited Chicken Works

01: Commoner 1- Flaw: Chicken Infested, Flaw Feat: Extend Spell, Char Feat: Persist Spell, Human Feat: Able Learner
02: Warlock 1
03: Cleric 1-Char Feat: Practiced Spellcaster: Cleric
04: Cleric 2
05: Cleric 3
06: Eldritch Disciple 1-Char Feat: Practiced Spellcaster: Warlock
07: Eldritch Disciple 2
08: Eldritch Disciple 3
09: Eldritch Disciple 4-Char Feat: Divine Metamagic (Persist Spell)
10: Eldritch Disciple 5 (Warlock 6-Gain Dead Walk)

On level 10, you effectively have Warlock 6 / Cleric 7, and cast as Warlock 10/Cleric 10. You can DMM Persist Consumptive Field (which I think is spell level 4 and available at Cleric 7), and spontaneously produce chickens as a free action. On entering the field, the chickens die, giving you +1d8 temp HP and +2 Str, lasting 10 rounds. As a level 10 warlock, you can animate 20 HD or 40 zombie chickens/80 Skeleton Chickens in one casting of Dead Walk, each round. And you can do this all day long.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Domains for the Cleric? A better name?

Douglas
2008-05-28, 10:00 AM
Two problems, one good, one bad:
Consumptive Field only kills things that are below 0 hp. You have to drop each chicken to negatives by some other means, and you have to be careful to not drop them all the way to -10 when you do. Greater Consumptive Field gets rid of this problem but is significantly higher level.

The bonuses from each death last as long as the field does - or all day, in this case. Kill 10000 chickens and you get 10000d8 temp hp and +20000 strength, all of which lasts for 24 hours or until someone dispels your Consumptive Field. Yes, this is broken.

1st casting: 19
2nd casting: 28
3rd casting: 42
4th casting: 66
5th casting: 99

That should be enough for most purposes.
The bonus from multiple Consumptive Fields doesn't stack with itself. You'd get this, instead:

1st casting: 13+6 = 19
2nd casting: 13+9 = 22
3rd casting: 13+11 = 24
4th casting: 13+12 = 25
5th casting: 13+12 = 25

Without adding certain other cheesy tricks to it, repeated castings of Consumptive Field cannot more than double your caster level.

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-28, 11:32 AM
Right. Next question would be how are you going to catch your foe flat-footed. Hold Person would work, but if they are already held, they are pretty much dead anyway, and not everything can be held. Maybe Feint or Hide in Plain Sight?

1 level of Warblade- take Sapphire Nightmare Blade and max ranks in Concentration, so you can use SNB reliably (it requires you to beat the enemy's AC with a Concentration check). You can use SNB every other turn (and make a standard action attack in the turns you're not using it), allowing you to create Chickeny Death.

The Fell Animate Exploding Chicken build is better, though...

The bonus from multiple Consumptive Fields doesn't stack with itself. You'd get this, instead:

1st casting: 13+6 = 19
2nd casting: 13+9 = 22
3rd casting: 13+11 = 24
4th casting: 13+12 = 25
5th casting: 13+12 = 25

Without adding certain other cheesy tricks to it, repeated castings of Consumptive Field cannot more than double your caster level.

They aren't stacking, but your CL when you cast the second one is 19. This allows a maximum caster level of (more), so when you kill your next batch of 9999999999999999999999999 chickens, it goes up to (more).

Recast GCF. Create more chickens; your caster level now caps at (lots more).

Repeat ad nauseam.

The bonus isn't stacking, it's overlapping, but the cap is increasing, and since each Chicken Spam Attack allows you to increase your CL arbitrarily high (limited only by the cap), it goes up to the new cap. Recast, get a higher cap, get that cap as CL, recast...

Douglas
2008-05-28, 12:16 PM
The bonus isn't stacking, it's overlapping, but the cap is increasing, and since each Chicken Spam Attack allows you to increase your CL arbitrarily high (limited only by the cap), it goes up to the new cap. Recast, get a higher cap, get that cap as CL, recast...
Yes, I know. That's why the second casting had any effect at all.

You cast it once and go to the cap. The cap is +6.

You cast it again, and the cap is now +9. Go to the cap and your total caster level is 22.

You cast it a third time and the cap is now 22/2 = +11. Go to the cap and your total caster level is 13+11 = 24.

Fourth time the cap is +12, for a total of 25.

All subsequent castings have a cap of +12 unless you can somehow boost your caster level to 26 or higher - and the field itself won't do that because its cap only gets you to 25 with your base of 13.

NecroRebel
2008-05-28, 12:34 PM
Morkaischosen, what douglas is saying is that the cap will never go above your original caster level. In particular,

First casting:
Maximum caster level = x + x/2, or 3x/2, where x is your original caster level.

Second casting:
Max. caster level = x + (first casting max)/2 = x + 3x/2/2 = x + 3x/4 = 7x/4

Third casting:
Max caster level = x + (second casting max)/2 = x+7x/4/2 = x + 7x/8 = 15x/8

This patern continues forever, so your maximum caster level is always modeled by the equation x + (((2^n) - 1)x)/2^n, where x is your original caster level and n is the number of repetitions. Since (2^n) - 1 will never match or exceed 2^n, your maximum possible caster level will always be less than double your original caster level.

Doesn't mean it isn't a neat trick though.

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-28, 01:17 PM
OK, sorry, you're all right. I should think a little more about this stuff...

monty
2008-05-28, 04:06 PM
Infinite geometric series are evil.

JeminiZero
2008-05-28, 10:06 PM
Consumptive Field only kills things that are below 0 hp. You have to drop each chicken to negatives by some other means, and you have to be careful to not drop them all the way to -10 when you do. Greater Consumptive Field gets rid of this problem but is significantly higher level.

Ah yes, I believe I have mixed up normal and greater consumptive field. Anyone know of any Cleric spells within the first 4 spell levels that can kill countless number of chickens?

The bonuses from each death last as long as the field does - or all day, in this case. Kill 10000 chickens and you get 10000d8 temp hp and +20000 strength, all of which lasts for 24 hours or until someone dispels your Consumptive Field. Yes, this is broken.

Yes it is quite broken. Probably more broken than the Coin Flip Cleric-Crusader, since you get NI temp HP on top of NI Str bonus, as free actions no less.

The Fell Animate Exploding Chicken build is better, though...

It almost certainly requires you to take Tomb Tainted Soul, since the Chickens are produced, killed, and animated at point blank range. Otherwise if the enemy gets an AoE spell on you while you are surrounded by your own chickens...

And of course your non-undead, non tomb-tainted party members have to keep away.

1 level of Warblade- take Sapphire Nightmare Blade and max ranks in Concentration, so you can use SNB reliably (it requires you to beat the enemy's AC with a Concentration check). You can use SNB every other turn (and make a standard action attack in the turns you're not using it), allowing you to create Chickeny Death.

Hmm... Then how does something like this look:

Tentative Name: Cluck-tousai the Slasher
Commoner 1 / Warblade 1 / Psion 1 / Rogue X

Human
-Need at least 13 Str for Psionic Weapon
-Need at least 13 Wis for Psionic Meditation

01: Commoner 1- Flaw: Chicken Infested, Flaw Feat: Weapon Proficiency: Chicken (is there such a thing?), Char Feat: Psionic Weapon, Human Feat: Able Learner
02: Warblade 1
03: Rogue 1-Char Feat: Elusive Dance (Req Perform Dance 5)
04: Psion 1-Psion Bonus Feat: Psionic Meditation (Req Concentration 7)
05: Rogue 2
06: Rogue 3-Char Feat: One of Choice
07: Rogue 4
08: Rogue 5
09: Rogue 6-Deep Impact (Req BAB 5)

*Commoner 1 gives Chicken Infested
*Psion 1 gives Concentration as a class skill, bonus Psionic Feat, and the Power Points for Psionic Focus.
*Warblade 1 gives Sapphire Nightmare, and Armor/Shield Proficiencies
*Rogue gives Sneak Attack bonus damage, and perform as class skill for Elusive Dance.

So each round you:
1) Draw a Chicken as a Free Action (from the spell component pouch)
2) Use Sapphire Nightmare as a Standard Action to catch your foe flat footed
3) Use Deep Impact to ignore a good chunk of enemy AC and to ensure your strike hits.
4) Stack Iaijutsu Focus and Rogue Sneak Attack to deal a good chunk of bonus damage
5) Use Psionic Meditation as a Move Action to regain focus. Rely on Elusive Dance to prevent AoOs (will not work as well if you are surrounded by more than 1 enemy)
6) Drop the Chicken as a free action

So at level 9, Iaiajutsu Focus would have 12 ranks, giving an avarage of 22.5 on Iaijutsu check, or 3d6 bonus damage. Rogue 6 would give you 3d6 sneak attack. Add on Sapphire Nightmare 1d6 bonus bonus for a total of 7d6 bonus damage on a touch attack, with a Chicken. :smallbiggrin:

How does this look? Any ideas on what other feats might be useful?

FlyMolo
2008-05-29, 12:42 AM
I am totally allowing this chicken-infested flaw in my game. This means you, guy.

If you make cheese with it, you will be smited with counter-cheese. But this is amazing stuff. For pure comedic value I'll let you take it for free on your next level-up.

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-29, 04:57 AM
You could replace that psion level with more Rogue- Warblade gives Concentration as a class skill. You would then need to take Wild Talent to qualify for Psionic Weapon.

Pretty sure Iaijutsu Focus doesn't stack with Sneak Attack, unfortunately...

JeminiZero
2008-05-29, 09:41 AM
I am totally allowing this chicken-infested flaw in my game. This means you, guy.

Who me?

If you make cheese with it, you will be smited with counter-cheese.

It might be a tad difficult not to make cheese. The ability to produce an arbitrary number of chickens in one round, in and of itself, is already rather cheesy (Trap Finding Chicken Stampede, Chicken Solid Fog, Wall of Chickens etc).

But this is amazing stuff. For pure comedic value I'll let you take it for free on your next level-up.

Its a flaw, and a rather major flaw at that. Its difficult to use in any build that is not specifically designed around it. ("On no, I am dying! Wait, I think I had a potion in my belt pouch!" *cluck* *cluck*).

In fact its such a huge flaw, I reckon only Cheese can compensate for its shortcomings. ("On no, I am dying! Chicken Solid Fog! That should buy me some time. now if I can only find where I put that potion.")

You could replace that psion level with more Rogue- Warblade gives Concentration as a class skill. You would then need to take Wild Talent to qualify for Psionic Weapon.

The Psion splash provides both the Psionic Focus AND a bonus Psion feat. So if I drop it, I would have to burn 2 feats to compensate.

Pretty sure Iaijutsu Focus doesn't stack with Sneak Attack, unfortunately...

Really? Dang. I don't have OA so I wouldn't know. Tried googling it and this thread (http://www.enworld.org/archive/index.php/t-31171.html) popped up, but it seems to suggest otherwise.

Reading that thread, the other thing I realize is that I don't think any of the above classes have Iaijutsu Focus as a class skill (another unfortunate side effect of not having OA). It seems that only Samurai and Sohei have it. So I might have to add a splash of one or the other. Another possibility that struck me was human paragon, but that has -1 BAB compared to Samurai.

Anyone know of any way to get it as a class skill? A feat perhaps? Also, other Chicken infested build ideas are still welcome.

Lochar
2008-05-29, 09:43 AM
Able Learner as a human allows one skill to always be considered a class skill, IIRC.

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-29, 09:46 AM
I think there's an Iaijutsu Master PrC that gets it as a class skill; you need some ranks to enter the class, but you can pick them up cross-class with Able Learner, and then you get all kinds of extra Iaijutsu stuff and your maximum rank goes up to the full class-skill mark.

FlyMolo
2008-05-29, 10:02 AM
Yes, you. Well, it would be amazing. And if you have Quick Draw, you just produce a certain number of chickens every time you draw something.

So you would get an extra feat, which you could spend on quick draw, mitigating the effects while producing chickens.

Cmon, please?

I can't believe I'm asking you to take a flaw. Urgh. :smallfrown: I feel dirty.

JeminiZero
2008-05-30, 09:00 PM
I think there's an Iaijutsu Master PrC that gets it as a class skill; you need some ranks to enter the class, but you can pick them up cross-class with Able Learner, and then you get all kinds of extra Iaijutsu stuff and your maximum rank goes up to the full class-skill mark.

If this (http://forumplanet.gamespy.com/ad_d_and_forgotten_realms/b49067/12719116/p1/?4) is correct, then to qualify for Iaiajutsu master, I need 9 Iaijutsu focus, which can only be achieved cross class on level 15. As well as a bunch of rather useless feats (since katana is an exotic weapon, I need 2 feats to get Weapon Focus katana). Although the level 5 ability to add Cha bonus to each Iaijutsu damage hit die sounds quite good.

Squeezing everything in is going to be rather painful, and I will probably have to take Samurai anyway for Katana proficiency. And take Fighter levels to get a few extra feats to qualify.

It might look something like:

01: Commoner 1- Flaw: Chicken Infested, Flaw Feat: Weapon Proficiency: Chicken, Char Feat: Psionic Weapon, Human Feat: Able Learner
03: Samurai 1-Char Feat: Steady Concentration
04: Rogue 1
05: Psion 1-Psion Bonus Feat: Psionic Meditation (Req Concentration 7)
06: Rogue 2-Char Feat: Elusive Dance (req Perform Dance 5)
07: Rogue 3
08: Rogue 4
09: Rogue 5-Char Feat: Deep Impact (Req BAB 5)
10: Fighter 1- Fighter Feat: Improved Initiative
11: Rogue 6
12: Rogue 7-Char Feat: Quick Draw
13: Rogue 8
14: Rogue 9
15: Rogue 10-Char Feat: WF Katana, Rogue Feat: Crippling Strike
16: Iaiajutsu Master 1
17: Iaiajutsu Master 2
18: Iaiajutsu Master 3-Char Feat: ??? (Skill Focus Concentration?)
19: Iaiajutsu Master 4
20: Iaiajutsu Master 5

At level 20, Iaijutsu Focus would have 23 ranks, giving an avarage of 34.5 on Iaijutsu check, or 5(Cha Bonus + d6) bonus damage. Rogue 10 would give you 5d6 sneak attack. Add on Sapphire Nightmare 1d6 bonus bonus for a total of 10d6 + (5*Cha bonus) bonus damage (ave ~35 + 5*Cha) on a touch attack (if your Concentration can overcome their AC). Unfortunately, it is rather End heavy, with the Iaijutsu Cha benefit only kicking in at level 20.

One thing that is bothering me, is how to get Concentration high enough to overcome virtually any AC for Sapphire Nightmare. I included Skill Focus Concentration and Steady Concentration in the scheme above, but are there any other feats that could do better?

Yes, you. Well, it would be amazing. And if you have Quick Draw, you just produce a certain number of chickens every time you draw something.

So you would get an extra feat, which you could spend on quick draw, mitigating the effects while producing chickens.

Unfortunately, Quick draw won't get rid of the painful probability of drawing a Chicken when you need a potion, or a scroll, or anything that cannot be drawns as a free action, since Quick Draw only applies to weapons. Really, Chicken Solid Fog of cheese is virtually a necessity.

Chronos
2008-05-30, 11:10 PM
Note that if you have any class that gives access to Iajitsu Focus, then you use the class skill cap for maximum ranks, not the cross-class cap. So if the OA Samurai does get it, then you can enter Iajitsu Master after only six levels.

For another way to boost concentration checks, the Shape Soulmeld feat to get Vitality Belt would give you a +4 morale bonus to all Constitution checks and Constitution-based skills (all one of them). It's not an untyped bonus like Skill Focus, so it won't stack with any other morale bonuses, but morale bonuses are pretty rare unless you have a bard in the party, anyway.

JeminiZero
2008-06-02, 08:25 AM
Note that if you have any class that gives access to Iajitsu Focus, then you use the class skill cap for maximum ranks, not the cross-class cap. So if the OA Samurai does get it, then you can enter Iajitsu Master after only six levels.

The reason why Iaijutsu master is taken last is because its quite hard to squeeze in all the feat needed to qualify, and the Psionic Weapon/Deep Impact/Psionic Meditation/Elusive Dance combo at the same time.

I also figured that a Marshal splash with Motivate Constitution minor Aura lets you add your Cha bonus to Con checks and skills (in this case Concentration). So splashing Marshal, lets you focus on pumping Cha to improve Iaiajutsu Focus, Iaijutsu Master bonus damage, AND Concentration checks.

And with that, I present the latest incarnation of Cluck-tousai the slasher, the Charismatic Chicken Master :smallbiggrin:

01: Commoner 1- Flaw: Chicken Infested, Flaw Feat: Weapon Proficiency: Chicken, Char Feat: Psionic Weapon, Human Feat: Able Learner
03: Samurai 1-Char Feat: Quick Draw
04: Marshal 1-Motivate Constitution
05: Rogue 1
06: Rogue 2-Char Feat: Elusive Dance (req Perform Dance 5)
07: Psion 1-Psion Bonus Feat: Psionic Meditation (Req Concentration 7)
08: Rogue 3
09: Rogue 4-Char Feat: Deep Impact (Req BAB 5)
10: Rogue 5
11: Rogue 6
12: Rogue 7-Char Feat: Improved Initiative
13: Rogue 8
14: Rogue 9
15: Rogue 10-Char Feat: WF Katana, Rogue Feat: Crippling Strike
16: Iaiajutsu Master 1
17: Iaiajutsu Master 2
18: Iaiajutsu Master 3-Char Feat: Steady Concentration Or Shape Soulmeld
19: Iaiajutsu Master 4
20: Iaiajutsu Master 5

Edit: If the DM permits it, consider dropping 2 levels of Rogue for 2 Paladin, so that you can add your Cha bonus to saves, but you lose Crippling strike.