PDA

View Full Version : Laptop problems.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-27, 06:42 AM
I've been having some issues with my laptop, and I'm unable to access my Notepad and Wordpad documents. A friend told me that it's probably because of the System Configurations (several programs were disabled to speed my laptop up), but I'm not sure which box needs to be ticked in order to allow me to access the documents in question. If anyone could help me, I'd really appreciate it.

bluewind95
2008-05-27, 06:45 AM
I've been having some issues with my laptop, and I'm unable to access my Notepad and Wordpad documents. A friend told me that it's probably because of the System Configurations (several programs were disabled to speed my laptop up), but I'm not sure which box needs to be ticked in order to allow me to access the documents in question. If anyone could help me, I'd really appreciate it.

Hm... disabled how? Just from startup or uninstalled?

If you disable something from startup... it shouldn't affect your documents like that...

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-27, 06:50 AM
They shouldn't have bee uninstalled (a few things, such as IM and Open Office, had been disabled for some reason, though). I'm not very good with computers, so please could you be as simple as possible when explaining things to me?

adanedhel9
2008-05-27, 10:34 AM
Disabling services and startup items should have nothing to do with opening documents.

What happens when you double-click on a document? Can you right-click on a document, go to "Open With" and choose notepad/wordpad?

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-27, 12:21 PM
I just tested that, and it didn't work. The repair people seemed to think it was a problem with the documents themselves, so until I can find someone who's more compitant then they were, I'll need to work around not being able to access the documents in question (it isn't that much of a problem).

adanedhel9
2008-05-27, 02:16 PM
I just tested that, and it didn't work.

By didn't work, what do you mean? Does nothing happen? Do you get an error message? Does the computer blow up?

Can you open notepad or wordpad without a document? Start>Programs>Accessories>Notepad or Start Programs>Accessories>Wordpad.

Can you open either with a brand new document? Right-click somewhere, and go to New>Text Document. Try to open the resulting file.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-27, 02:20 PM
I can start new documents before opening them, but whenever I try opening a document which i created before the RAM upgrade, I get the message "Access Denied" (this happens regardless of how I try to open it).

Flickerdart
2008-05-27, 03:54 PM
Hm...so you can't get access to ANY text document?

Try a few things to isolate the problem.

Try opening the file with another editor. OpenOffice, Word, Appleworks.
Try opening the file from another directory or drive (External USB drive, perhaps)
Try different directories to determine whether it's the entire drive or just a location.
Perform all of these from the admin account.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-28, 04:16 AM
I can access douments which I made after the RAM upgrade. Opening a Notepad document using Open Office, but it didn't work, and I don't have any other similar programs on here. Also, I'm not sure how to try accessing it from other directories or drives.

Zeb The Troll
2008-05-28, 05:24 AM
The problem you're having is the access part. Did you create a new account or anything after the RAM upgrade?

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-28, 05:42 AM
No. I'm still using my own account (I had to put my e-mail's password in again due to the one I saved being disabled, though.)