PDA

View Full Version : Favorite games

Inhuman Bot
2008-05-27, 12:46 PM
So I was wondering: what games are the playgrounds favorites? what genres, and why? personally some of my favorites are:
The elder scrolls series- amazing is all I can say.
Super mario galaxy- it was a new idea, and despite the nightmere controls, Spring mario is fun.
Warcraft 3- One of the best rts games I've played
Mario & Luigi superstar saga- It's funny, and you can dodge enemy attacks.
Mother 3- Epic. Just plain Epic.
Starcraft- Another Blizzard game, one of my first games ever.
Super mario world- catchy songs, and years latter it's still fun
The world ends with you- It's unique fighting system, ability to affect drop rates and good story make it my favorite ds game.

endoperez
2008-05-27, 02:52 PM
Dominions series - the awesome descriptions make it feel like you're reading a good fantasy novel, and the mechanics are fun to play with as well.

Roguelikes - ADOM, Crawl, DoomRL, whatever - they're just great.

Cave Story was very good for a free game, and had surprisingly good plot.

DraPrime
2008-05-27, 04:03 PM
The Metal Gear series. It did wonders for stealth games. And it was just ridiculously fun.

Dhavaer
2008-05-27, 04:14 PM
Mass Effect.

Dihan
2008-05-27, 04:33 PM
I won't list all my favourites because I'd be here for a while. Here are my very best:

Mario Kart Wii: Traditional karting? Check. New things? Check. Online? Check. Online that doesn't suck? Check. The new stages are good and the old stages are... mostly good.

Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask: The darkest Zelda game, filled with hidden meanings and for the time the interaction and quests with NPCs were cutting edge. I love the whole transformation mask concept and the three day limit (except for Song of Time, of course) adds tension and urgency to an already dark game. The moon is also very scary too.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Yes, I prefer it to Melee... Though anyone who uses Zelda would say so. It has it's flaws but it is still a really fun game. Except for the Freeloader, it hasn't left my Wii since I got it. The OST is also epic.

Final Fantasy VI: I personally love the FF games where each character has a unique class, something later games have lacked. Kefka's laugh will haunt me on the same level as Majora's Mask's moon... Kefka's theme tune is also brilliant.

Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations: I love the whole series but this one is the culmination of Mr Wright's story, featuring even more plot twists than before. I love shouting "OBJECTION!" into the DS' microphone. The villains are even more villainous (yes, I'm looking at you Dahlia Hawthorne!). Brilliant.

Other notable mentions: Elite Beat Agents, Kingdom Hearts, Super Mario Galaxy and Fire Emblem.

Kane
2008-05-27, 05:11 PM
The C&C series: They've all been awesome for their time, and I love #3.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: Awesome game, really, there's no better open ended RPG out there, and it's the first game that I realized that "Hey... There are mods for this..."

HalfLife: best FPS I've ever played. EVER. And I recently got to play some of HL2.

Mass Effect: It's coming out for PC! It's coming out for PC! GLEE! (Played some on a friends 360)

Warcraft 3: Battlenet. Cube Defense, Pirates, TDs, etc., etc, etc.

World in Conflict: Tactical Nukes are a religious experience, man.

Sins of a Solar Empire: I'm torn between the TEC, their wonderful economy, okay ships, and awesome capital ships, and the Vasari, with Phase Space Stabilizers, good ships, and meh capital ships.

Shovah
2008-05-27, 05:13 PM
Dominions series - the awesome descriptions make it feel like you're reading a good fantasy novel, and the mechanics are fun to play with as well.

Yes, endo, yes. Huge Depth, great community, incredibly complex multiplayer with games than can last weeks/months and quick games that can be over in a few hours or less.
Everybody: Buy this game.

Most things released by Valve, including Half Life, Half Life 2 and the episodes, TF2, Portal, and Garrys Mod.

Company of Heroes and Dawn of War, Warcraft 3(if mostly for custom games such as TD), every Total War game so far, Supreme Commander.

Alot of Nintendo stuff(or stuff on their consoles) including, but definitely not limited to:
All the Super Smash Bro's games, Original Mario Cart/Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Majoras Mask/Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Golden Sun 1&2, Harvest Moon 2&DS.

Many, many more, but those will do for now.

The Rose Dragon
2008-05-27, 05:23 PM
Bioshock. Especially during my third play, where I got to discover a lot of things I missed during the first run, and things just clicked into place.

Starcraft. I still wish I could do the game justice by not cheating. And by playing its expansion before the second game comes out.

Baldur's Gate 2. Never got to play the first one, but until the day I play Planescape: Torment (anyone wants to send their copies to me (I'll pay of course), please contact me), it will remain the best RPG I played.

Jade Empire. Wuxia action in a fun and relatively well-thought out setting? Yes, please.

World of Warcraft. It's addictive, dammit.

Command & Conquer series. All of them. Even Tiberian Sun.

Cainen
2008-05-27, 06:01 PM
System Shock 2, Total Annihilation, Deus Ex, ADOM, Ultima VII, Space Empires IV, Planescape:Torment, X-COM:UFO Defense, Jagged Alliance 2...

The list goes on and on, really.

Prophaniti
2008-05-27, 06:33 PM
Like others, far to many favorite games to list them all, but I'd just like to say that I love the Might and Magic games (before Ubisoft). Classic fantasy adventure that I keep coming back to.

Also, Ultima Underworld. Great fun.

Lastly, I do like a little WoW now and then, though I'm hoping the new Age of Conan or Warhammer Online will be more what I'm looking for in an MMO.

Nibleswick
2008-05-27, 07:03 PM
Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance

Jedi Knight 2

Warcraft 2&3

Diablo 1&2

Civ 2

Alpha Centauri

Colonization

all of the Dark Forces games

Nox

Battle for Wesnoth

Kane
2008-05-27, 07:12 PM
Indeed. Prophaniti's comment reminded me;

Prince of Persia; Sands of Time trilogy. Neo has nothing on the Prince.

Heroes of Might and Magic. (2 and 3. 4 was meh, 1 is too primitive for me now.)

Battle for Wesnoth

Ur-Quan Masters

Sid Meier's Pirates!

Inhuman Bot
2008-05-27, 07:43 PM
Hey, anyone else ever play the secret island of Dr. Quandray? good (if creepy to me) times..

endoperez
2008-05-28, 03:52 AM
System Shock 2, Total Annihilation, Deus Ex, ADOM, Ultima VII, Space Empires IV, Planescape:Torment, X-COM:UFO Defense, Jagged Alliance 2...

The list goes on and on, really.

The List goes ever on and on
Down from the Pong where it began.
Now far ahead the games have gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Playing them with eager hands,
Until they join some larger way
Where many games and genres meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

:D

I must agree with your list, except for Space Empires, and that only because I've never seen it played... I've heard a lot about it.

Nibleswick
2008-05-28, 09:44 AM
Hey, anyone else ever play the secret island of Dr. Quandray? good (if creepy to me) times..

Wow, I haven't thought about that game in years, it was so creepy, but addictive.

galpha7
2008-05-28, 08:15 PM
Kingdom Hearts series

Zelda Series

Banjo & Kazooie Series (Origional 2 for the N64)

All Smash Bros

Okami

Portal

And many many more for the NES

lemonhoney
2008-05-28, 08:40 PM
Final Fantasy VI - Easily my favourite game, just because for the time it was such a milestone for the RPG industry. It had a much darker setting, a real emphasis on story and characters, and breaks several traditions - like, the main character being a girl who did not having a ridiculous love-interest (yet still finding love in the end... in a much more unique way than in other RPGs).

Ragnarok Online - I suppose by now it'd just be considered an old washed-up level grinding MMORPG, but when its popularity was at its peak, I made some great memories in the world of Rune-Midgard. Even if its a bit outdated, I've enjoyed it more than any other MMORPG i've played.

Harvest Moon series - This series is just too cute and addictive to not love!!

Cainen
2008-05-28, 09:19 PM
I must agree with your list, except for Space Empires, and that only because I've never seen it played... I've heard a lot about it.

It's one of the most complex 4X games I've ever played, and I love it for that. The tech tree is mindnumbingly huge, and the scope of what you're dealing with isn't apparent until you see the size of your first galaxy.

That, and it's very, VERY fun to make suicide bomber ships with point defense guns meant to bumrush the enemy's long-range ships while yours fire away. Or any other number of strategies you can get into in the game. If you're using it, there's a counter to it.

Super_mad09
2008-06-01, 03:00 AM
Sims 2 Warcraft 3 Empire Earth Age of empires 2 etc.

The Orange Zergling
2008-06-01, 03:47 AM
-Warcraft 3 - The game itself isn't bad, but the World Editor makes it a thousandfold better and is more than enough to compensate.
-Starcraft - Aliens, psionics, and guns.
-Bioshock - Even though I (still) haven't beaten it and it runs kind of clunky on my computer it's just awesome. Somewhat easy but still.
-Half Life 2 - Excellent graphics, awesome gameplay, and pretty good story.
-Command & Conquer - All of them. Westwood ones were better, but even EA can't make them suck.
-Super Smash Brothers - All of them. Just plain fun, even the old ones.

Hm... it seems I've pretty much just echoed every one else's lists... <.<'

Calamity
2008-06-01, 04:44 PM
Final Fantasy VIII: This game has possibly one of the best soundtracks ever composed. Many say the junction system needlessly complicated, I find it wonderfully simple. The story is enhanced to better than what it should be thanks to the music. Plus, it has amazing cinematics for a PS1 game. My all time favourite.

Prince of Persia series (PS2): Brilliant. It's fun to be able to do pratcially anything (the most arcobatic videogame character I know) and just rewind if you go wrong.

Resident Evil 4: Thrilling. It keeps you on your toes. :smallamused:

Sims 2: Let them live in luxury, or BURN THEM ALL TO THE GROUND!Hours of amusement.

Metal Gear Soild 2: This is the kind of gaming experience you'd expect form a PS3 or Xbox 360, not a PS2. And it has a good soundtrack too, which seems to be getter rarer these days.

Assassin's Creed: Any game that I get the chance to tackle people out of the way and cause total chaos is a great game in my book! :smallbiggrin: Plus I love:
when a subtle plot is going on underneath the main one.

Burnout Series: See above, I guess I'm just a sucker for causing chaos. It's even more fun with cars.

Kingdom Hearts Series: Very addictive. KH1 and KH2 opening sequences alone make it worth buying. I love the storyline in KH, even if at times it's a bit cheesy.

Terraoblivion
2008-06-01, 05:24 PM
This last has a distinct lack of white, celestial wolves with a talent for painting.

Okami very definitely is one of them for me.

I am not sure otherwise because my mind has some properties in common with Swiss cheese and so i keep forgetting even things i truly love unless i am somehow reminded of them. Okami i remember though. Everything about it is just pure win and awesome.

mentatzarkon
2008-06-02, 10:00 AM
The List goes ever on and on
Down from the Pong where it began.
Now far ahead the games have gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Playing them with eager hands,
Until they join some larger way
Where many games and genres meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

Heh heh, Tolkien would be proud.
I'm amazed that no one seems to have the old Hero Quest/Quest for Glory games in there, so I'll give a shoutout. Also, Master of Magic and Space Quest.

/Edit - How could I forget the Realms of Arkania games! My god, Blade of Destiny and Star Trail together wasted like a year of my time.

AmberVael
2008-06-02, 10:37 AM
Hmmm...

Legacy of Kain series- Because Raziel is cool, and Kain is badass. The gameplay isn't bad, but the story and voice acting are so amazing...

Jade Empire- I like the combat system. The sort of supernatural martial arts style is very fun.

Crackdown- Complicated? Not really. Story? Non existent. Gameplay? Repetitive.
Ability to throw a truck into four lane traffic and toss a grenade into the resulting series of collisions? Yaaaaaaay! :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

Portal- This was a triumph. I'm making a note here: huge success. I can hardly overstate my satisfaction. Aperture science! *runs off singing joyously*

And my guilty pleasure:

Ninety Nine Nights- Similar to Crackdown. The voice acting is terrible, the plot is horribly lame and was ripped from some child's fantasy story. But somehow, somehow the ability to get 2000+ hit combos and literally slaughter armies on your own is just enticing...

Oregano
2008-06-02, 10:50 AM
Hmmm...
Legacy of Kain series- Because Raziel is cool, and Kain is badass. The gameplay isn't bad, but the story and voice acting are so amazing...

You, my friend are awesome. I love the Legacy of Kain and I'm still hoping for a new installment after the cliffhanger in Defiance.

KOTOR 1 and 2: I can see through the flaws and just enjoy the game, and Jedis rule which is why I ant force unleashed.

Dragonquest: One of the best series of RPGs ever and really difficult to boot.

Final Fantasy: Good stories(in my opinion), crazy minigames and some awesome characters although I'm starting to go off the series.

Elder Scrolls: Probably the most open RPGs out there, good gameplay and interaction and cool NPCs and quests.

Other good mentions:
Super Smash Bros
Fable(and the second one when it comes out)
Mortal Kombat
Soul Calibur
Halo(the first ones the best but the other two are good)

TheSorrow
2008-06-02, 09:23 PM
Psychonauts- The last great platformer

Grand Theft Auto IV- I know its recent bound the details in it pass anything that has ever been done before it.

No More Heroes- Favorite Wii game, combines humor and violence plus a distinct artstyle ( I like it when games go in a different direction)

Fable- The choices

The Orange Box- Halflife 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2. Need I go on?

And not to forget the Metal Gear Solid Series- I love you to death

Zarrexaij
2008-06-02, 09:37 PM
Silent Hill series - I've found every single one of these games scary and excellent. Yes, that includes 0rigins and The Room. Obviously I like the series if I have a Pyramidhead avatar. :smalltongue:

Half-life series - Gordon Freeman is my hero. It's THE FPS I enjoy the most.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - The best open-ended roleplaying game on the PC I've played. Almost everything it did, it did right (except for combat and the skill system, that sucked). It was ridiculously fun, even if Cliffracers are obnoxious. Unfortunately it's younger cousin Oblivion isn't as delightfully eccentric or creative (fortunately Shivering Isles answered this).

Mass Effect - Given how I like Star Trek, you can image how delighted I was to have a roleplaying game that happens IN SPACE. My only regret is that I can't play an alien. Wrex and Tali were hilarious characters.

Phase
2008-06-02, 10:51 PM
Spore: Even though it isn't even out yet, this is perhaps one of the greatest steps forward in gaming history. Procedural generation, massively single player, even the mere mention of this game gives me goosebumps.

There is a reason they call it a sporegasm. :smallwink:

Dumbledore lives
2008-06-02, 11:12 PM
I'll list it by consoles
NES: Super Mario Bros 1-3
LOZ
a few others

SNES: Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Star Fox
Pretty much any beat 'em up
Sim City

N64: Super Mario 64
Both Banjo Kazooies
Star Fox 64
Legend of Zelda: OOT
Super Smash Bros
Probably some more

Gamecube: Super Mario Sunshine
Mario Kart: Double Dash
LOZ: Windwaker
Super Smash bros. Melee
Madden '05- Surprising I know, but I've had a lot of fun with it.

Wii: LOZ: Twilight Princess
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

I know I'm a Nintendo fanboy, but there are a lot of awesome games for the systems. Also Kingdom Hearts, Elder Scrolls, Katamari, Tony hawks, and many many others. Way to many awesome games, I'm off to play some now.

Haruki-kun
2008-06-02, 11:15 PM
Kingdom Hearts, FFX and Tales of Symphonia are my favourites.

Skippy
2008-06-02, 11:51 PM
Chrono Trigger, Mario Kart DS, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Solid 3, Phoenix Wright, Super Mario RPG, Mischief Makers, The World Ends With You, Minesweeper, Megaman 5, StarTropics, the whole Zelda saga (except Zelda 2), Rayman Raving Rabbids, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Pokemon Red version, Game & Watch Gallery, Tetris, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Killer Instincts, Wario Ware, Puzzle Quest, Kirby Super Star, Donkey Kong Country...

And those are the ones coming to my mind right now. I'm pretty sure there are a lot more.

Edit: Forgot Golden Sun and Golden Sun 2

Semidi
2008-06-03, 01:49 AM
1: Bauldur's Gate 2

This is the game that got me interested in Roleplaying. I've played every quest, and played it multiple times with multiple classes... I think I want to play through it again soon. In my mind, this was about as close to perfection as I'll ever get. Love it.

2: Elder Scrolls: Morrowind

I had so much fun with this game. I didn't care for Oblivion, it lacked the grit present in Morrowind. Morrowind had an amazing story, beautiful landscapes, and had so much potential for adventure. Sure it had problems , but I found that I just loved exploring so much that I didn't care.

3: Half-Life 2

The greatest FPS ever made.

4: Diablo 2

How many hours did I sink into this? I don't want to think about it. This is also a prime candidate for re-play.

5: Starcraft

Again, how many hours did I sink into this game? It was really the first game that I really, really got into. I suck at Starcaft. But I love the game nonetheless. I can't wait to suck at Starcaft 2.