PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Monk?

MammonAzrael
2008-05-27, 02:48 PM
Are there any feats or PrCs that advance both Monk and Barbarian abilities?

If there isn't any official stuff, any homebrew? Thanks!

Kurald Galain
2008-05-27, 02:52 PM
I don't think so, officially, because barbarians can't be lawful whereas monks must be lawful.

Starbuck_II
2008-05-27, 02:53 PM
Are there any feats or PrCs that advance both Monk and Barbarian abilities?

If there isn't any official stuff, any homebrew? Thanks!

Doesn't Forest of the Fist (or is it Fist of the Forest) in Complete Champion work?

Don Beegles
2008-05-27, 02:54 PM
I think the biggest problem is that Barbarians must be Chaotic, and Monks must be lawful. By RAW, you can't have the best abilities of each class at the same time. You have to pick one. If, however, you released the requirements to make Monks any nonchaotic, and Barbs any nonlawful, then I see no major problem with the following feat, or something like it:

Ascetic Berserker
Benefit: A character with this feat can stack his levels of monk and barbarian for the purposes determining unarmed damage and number of uses of rage per day. He can also continue taking levels in monk after taking levels in barbarian.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-27, 02:58 PM
I don't think so, officially, because barbarians can't be lawful whereas monks must be lawful.

MammonAzrael
2008-05-27, 03:44 PM
Blast, I completely forgot about that! Bloody alignments.

Mainly I'm looking to get the Rage feature, and then have it stack with monk for number of uses per day...looks like that'll have to be some type of homebrew feat. Oh well.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-27, 03:51 PM
Half-Orc Paragon gets rage at second level, and has no restrictions on alignment.

Chronicled
2008-05-27, 03:52 PM
There's always the prestige class Bor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=19074). It has the prerequisites of the Caring feat, and 8 ranks in Fame (GitP).

sonofzeal
2008-05-27, 03:56 PM
By RAW, you can't have the best abilities of each class at the same time.
Not true. Monks don't lose their abilities if they become Chaotic. Ex-Monk Barbarians are a reasonably workable build, although as noted there isn't anything in particular tailored to that combination. Fist of the Forest is your best bet, but that's Complete (ugh!) Champion.

Don Beegles
2008-05-27, 09:52 PM
Really? Well, that's what i get for not checking the SRD. I assumed that Monks were like most other classes and lost Supernatural abilities when they switched alignments. If that's the case, than Son of Zeal is right; it wouldn't be too hard to do a multiclass build. Of course, you couldn't advance in monk after starting on barbarian, but that woudl have to be acceptable.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-27, 09:54 PM
Elf Ex-Monk/Barbarian/Fist of the Forest/Wild Runner. Do it. :smallbiggrin:

cupkeyk
2008-05-27, 09:55 PM
Just use the half-orc paragon levels then top it with monk levels. Rage and punch.

Shifty
2008-05-27, 10:03 PM
Not sure if it's quite what you're looking for, but I found something that might fit the mould you were looking for right here on GiTP. It seemed a solid homebrew class, and I bookmarked it for later inclusion in a stillborn campaign. Here's the link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53334).

Chronos
2008-05-27, 10:19 PM
I don't think so, officially, because barbarians can't be lawful whereas monks must be lawful.That didn't stop them from making a feat that combines bard and paladin. You just specify in the feat or prestige class or whatever that it allows you to bypass one or both of the alignment restrictions (Devoted Performer allows bards to be lawful).

And for the record, barbarians don't have to be chaotic: They're allowed to be ethically neutral.