PDA

View Full Version : Who will be at Giriard's Gate?

Lupy
2008-05-27, 05:48 PM
The title says it all, who do you think will show up for the big fight at Giriard's Gate? Additionally, if you suspect some new alliances or a few characters joining forces, mention them.

My Theory:

Oots (reunited)
Team Evil (with a bunch of Hobbo's)
Hinjo and O-Chul (with some soldiers or Pallys)
The Linear Guild
Kubota and Co. (with Ninja Army)
Lord Tyrinnar

I can see Kubota and LG teaming up, he and Nale seem like the type to get along somehow. Additionall I hope that Roy is risen and the Oots is back together. RC will have established his little Hobbo City by the time he's ready to leave. Tsukiko may well have userped him as most important though, in which case he might go in on his own with an army of Hobbos to fight Xykon's undead army and any Azurite forces present. I'd like to see a major character duel go down like: Oots vs/ Xykon and Tsukiko, RC versus Hinjo, and LG versus any Oots they can get at.

Ertier
2008-05-27, 06:44 PM
I personally have a theory that we will get a main character (but NPC) death at Girard's gate. I think either Sabine, Hinjo, Therkla, O-Chull or possibly even Nale will get killed. I can see Sabine going down via a well placed arrow from Haley incuring Nale's rath. Perhaps Hinjo or O-Chull will go down in a blaze of glory. Therkla could die saving Elan or Haley. Nale's death would be epic though. I imagine it resulting from one of his horrible plans.

Penquin47
2008-05-27, 06:51 PM
Speculative spoiler, including OtOoPCs spoilers:

Since we know Durkon will return home posthumously, I think Durkon will die at Girard's Gate. They'll take him home, and discover that Durkon's people live in/near the dungeon surrounding Kraagor's Gate, thus bringing death and destruction to Durkon's people, as prophesied in OtOoPCs that got him sent away from home.

Pun Pun
2008-05-27, 09:06 PM
I think that Giriard's gate will be too soon for another clash between Xykon and team evil and the OoTS. They have already met twice and the third meeting will mean the permenant death of likely Sykon, though possibly redcloak. When Roy is resurected he and his team will defeat the bad guy for the final time.

Here is how I see Giriard's gate going down. The main enemy will be the linear guild, in a mad plan to conquer the gate. However, Nale will be put in a underling pposition when he brings his father into the equation. Angry about this, he will trick Elan into helping to deafeat their father together, possible using Haley as bait. Thekla will die saving Elan from his brother or a betrayal from his brother. By the end of this gate the linear guild will be defeated, only to possible make a cameo appearance at the final gate, probably helping the order.

I have to agree with Penquin47's theory and also believe that this gate will be Durkon's death. Likewise I believe that Vaarsuvious will temporairly betray the order during this section, in a search for power, but return by the end.

Wishful thinking:
Finally Redcloak will be ursurped by Tsukiko and will watch as she or Xykon kills a buntch of Hobgoblins. Disgusted by Xykon's actions he will assist the order in defeating them and fill the need for a cleric that Durkon's death would leave. He could take MITD and O-Chul with him.

Lupy
2008-05-29, 03:54 PM
@Pun Pun: Yes! I always wanted my favorite character to join Oots, I'll miss Durkon, but it's worth it. Plus the MitD eating Xykon with Nutmeg will be awesome. SOD Spoiler:
But who will remove Xykon's spell on the MitD?

David Argall
2008-05-29, 05:11 PM
Since this is prediction of the future of the strip, it is the sort of thing we have been requested to Now first, the Azure City characters are AC characters. Hinjo, Kubota, etc are all going to stay at Azure City, not go on to the next gate. They will not be seen much, if at all, after the end of the current book. Therkla may be the only exception as she might try to chase after Elan. The rest have little or no reason to be leaving the city.
The death of Durkon is quite possible. However, it will not be a permanent death. Durkon is the party cleric and "we got to have a cleric" is D&D dogma. So he will get raised in fairly short order.
Equally, the LG and other stars will survive. They will be needed for the finalie at the next gate, or maybe thereafter.

There is a good chance Lord Tyrinnar will not be at the gate itself, but rather will be in the same book, just as the party has spent much of its time at Azure City at Cliffport.

LuisDantas
2008-05-29, 06:15 PM
I began reading OOtS midway through (thanks to a tvtropes.org link). While I've read all the strips from the start since, at first I thought Hinjo was a full Order member. I'm not sure Hinjo or Daigo are any more NPCs than any of the original six members of the Order, really; both of them have good enough rapport with the Order members.

I don't think the Azurite paladins are likely to want to return to Azure City any time soon, more so if they can choose to try and defeat Xykon and company at some other gate. With their own gate gone, it is logical and necessary for them to transfe their duty to all the remainging gates.

The Durkon theories are intriguing, I sort of expect them to be true. Of course, I like Durkon, so I hope he doesn't die permanently. Actually, I think he is less likely to remain dead than Roy himself.

Also, it's only a hunch, but I fully expect Tsukiko to eventually become disappointed with Xykon, perhaps sooner rather than later. She's very impulsive and Xykon is the type of person who does not really make a lot of concessions for others' expectations. I even expect Redcloak to remain loyal (to a point) to Xykon for longer than Tsukiko.

And, uh, who is Lord Tyrinnar again? (Sorry, I honestly don't remember...)

Beholder1995
2008-05-29, 06:21 PM
I have to agree with Penquin47's theory and also believe that this gate will be Durkon's death. Likewise I believe that Vaarsuvius will temporairly betray the order during this section, in a search for power, but return by the end.

Hmmm... you've got me thinking (darn you!)
Vaarsuvius, if he doesn't experience an epiphany in the current state of things, may well snap and leave the Order, possibly even shifting down to Evil alignment for a while. If so, it would be very interesting to see him come and save the day at Girard's gate.

Also- why does everyone think that Lord Tyrinnar is even gonna be in the comic? Even if he is Elan's dad, there wouldn't be much point in having him. As far as I can tell, there's absolutely no reason for it.

Beholder1995
2008-05-29, 06:24 PM
To LuisDantas: Tyrinnar is the lord of Tyrinaria, and has Haley's father imprisoned. Secretly she is building up a reserve of cash high enough to free him. It is also generally accepted that he is Elan/Nale's father, even if their is no compelling evidence for it.

Also: I thought the Paladins were forbidden from the other gates? I don't imagine that they'd go to guard it against Soon's oath, even if it was in jeopardy.

LuisDantas
2008-05-29, 06:41 PM
To LuisDantas: Tyrinnar is the lord of Tyrinaria, and has Haley's father imprisoned. Secretly she is building up a reserve of cash high enough to free him. It is also generally accepted that he is Elan/Nale's father, even if their is no compelling evidence for it.

Thanks.

Also: I thought the Paladins were forbidden from the other gates? I don't imagine that they'd go to guard it against Soon's oath, even if it was in jeopardy.

You're right, of course. #277 says so, at least. But I don't think there is any reason why they shouldn't try and keep Team Evil away from the gates. Their oaths, as I understand them, are against seeking the gates, not protecting them. At the very least, they should be free to pursue Xykon and trying to stop him before he comes near any gate.

snoopy13a
2008-05-29, 06:58 PM
How can we be sure that they'll even reach Girard's Gate? What if Roy is brought back and they defeat Xykon and Redcloak at Azure City leading into an entirely different plot?

Emanick
2008-05-29, 07:31 PM
How can we be sure that they'll even reach Girard's Gate? What if Roy is brought back and they defeat Xykon and Redcloak at Azure City leading into an entirely different plot?

Both because of the prophecy, and because Rich is not about to sacrifice the entire backstory of the comic for a completely different mission. :smallwink:

~Eman :)

SPoD
2008-05-29, 07:56 PM
Exactly; Xykon MUST go to Girard's Gate before Kraagor's Gate, because the prophecy says so.

So the next gate will have both OOTS and Team Evil, though it is not required that they actually fight one another--just that they both get there eventually. Also, there are exactly two things that we know are on the Western Continent: the nation of Tyrinnaria, and Girard's Gate. The likelihood of them being in the same place is very high, but even if they aren't, there's a good chance that Haley's father will be with the OOTS when they encounter the Gate.

Kaolix
2008-05-29, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure Hinjo or Daigo are any more NPCs than any of the original six members of the Order, really; both of them have good enough rapport with the Order members.

Bit of a nitpick, while I agree with your sentiment, at least with regards to Hinjo being quite a main character (at least for now, anyway) They are most definately NPC's - The only PC's known of in the OotS universe are the OotS themselves. Several joking references have been made drawing attention to the fact that they are the PCs, and everyone else are NPCs.

As to whether they'll remain around, remember: Miko had far screen time than both of them, quite probably more than both of them put together, and now that her role is complete it has been made rather clear that she won't be returning. While I don't expect such finality for Hinjo & co., there is certainly no real reason to suspect for even a moment that they may remain strongly plot-relevant once the Azure-City arc completes. As nice as it would be.

However, personally I am of the view that the 'Azure City arc' won't be over for a long time yet. Theres the small matter of a city to be retaken at some point, and I don't expect that to happen any time soon, nor do I expect it to occur entirely off-camera/without PC interaction.

Lizard Lord
2008-05-30, 01:40 AM
When the LG left Azure City they left with hopes of obtaining the next gate.

I would have thought they would have found and secured Girard's Gate by now. Unlike Redcloak or the OotS the only thing they had to slow them down was the lack of equipment which they most likely solved in the first weak after their escape.

I am fairly certain the LG will be there. Whether or not they will have new recruits may be another story.

Prowl
2008-05-30, 01:43 AM
I'm going to be a contrarian and say they will find

Girard

at Girard's Gate.

David Argall
2008-05-30, 02:33 PM
I'm going to be a contrarian and say they will find

Girard

at Girard's Gate.

Well, he is likely to get some pictures and mentions, but he is going to be a minor player, perhaps like Soon who appears in about a half-dozen of the non-scribble strips. This is the OOTS' story and so Girard will get second billing, if that.

silvadel
2008-05-30, 03:31 PM
First to Girard's gate -- Linear Guild (obvious but the rest are spoilers)

Second to Girard's gate -- Kabuto (defeated by linear guild)

Third to Girard's gate -- Xykon -- shows linear guild who is boss and they run with their tails between their legs.

On their way back to cliffport you have them battle the oots

Upon the linears defeat the OOTS gets information that Xykon is starting the ritual that very day.

Oots gets there just on time to mess the ritual up (which ends up blowing the gate up) and Xykon leaves.

Lupy
2008-05-30, 08:15 PM
First to Girard's gate -- Linear Guild (obvious but the rest are spoilers)

Second to Girard's gate -- Kabuto (defeated by linear guild)

Third to Girard's gate -- Xykon -- shows linear guild who is boss and they run with their tails between their legs.

On their way back to cliffport you have them battle the oots

Upon the linears defeat the OOTS gets information that Xykon is starting the ritual that very day.

Oots gets there just on time to mess the ritual up (which ends up blowing the gate up) and Xykon leaves.

That's good.
What if Xykon ticks off Nale enough he helps the Oots to beat him in the final battle?

Razzy
2008-05-30, 08:31 PM
That's good.
What if Xykon ticks off Nale enough he helps the Oots to beat him in the final battle?

Even if that happens,
I doubt we'll see a permanent Heal Face Turn from Nale. Unless he died in the battle against Xykon, he probably would turn on the OotS again as soon as the common threat was dealt with. Wanting to get back at Xykon =/= agreeing with the OotS's goals and values.

Lupy
2008-05-30, 08:50 PM
Even if that happens,
I doubt we'll see a permanent Heal Face Turn from Nale. Unless he died in the battle against Xykon, he probably would turn on the OotS again as soon as the common threat was dealt with. Wanting to get back at Xykon =/= agreeing with the OotS's goals and values.

Yeah, he'll turn on them, so what? It'll still be cool while lasts.

Razzy
2008-05-31, 04:52 PM
Yeah, he'll turn on them, so what? It'll still be cool while lasts.

Maybe I'm a big softy, but I'm not entirely sure I want to see what that would do to Elan. He'd probably convince himself that Nale was shaping up to be some sort of sixth ranger (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SixthRanger), and then be crushed when he showed his true colors again.

Lupy
2008-05-31, 07:40 PM
True, he will hurt Elan, but this time Haley is looking out for him, I don't think it will be as bad?

doliest
2008-05-31, 07:51 PM
The prophecy says that he will be within 1000 feet first, not that, say, he passes over it without even noticing it?

FoE
2008-05-31, 07:52 PM
Since a member of the Order of the Scribble has been guarding each of the gates so far, I predict Girard will also be at Girard's gate. However ...

... he'll be long-dead, or at least retired, and the version left behind will only be a kind of sentient illusion.

LuisDantas
2008-06-01, 02:20 AM
The Oracle's prophecy is quite inconclusive evidence to me. It does not even imply that Xykon will be near Girard's gate by his own choice and design, nor does it hint when he will be there.

For all the prophecy says, Xykon may be caught up in some other plot and only happen to be near Girard's gate while running some other errand a few decades in the future.

Of course, we know that Xykon wants to conquer at least one of the other gates, so it is logical to assume that he went that way. But the prophecy does not really narrow the possibilities any further than "look for him at Girard's gate instead of at the polar gate".

An Enemy Spy
2008-06-06, 06:53 PM
the LG will arrive at the gate and :nale: try to get through the illusions and fail miserably. :thog: will get through with ease due to the fact that he does'nt overanalize them.