PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Ridley: The kobold space pirate

Iormungandr
2008-05-28, 12:19 AM
So I want to build Ridley (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Ridley) from the Metroid series. Bouncing ideas around with my local D&D friends generated several ideas:
-Build it as a homebrew monster, perhaps like a dragon with less magic and more bite-you-in-the-face;
-Modify the Dragonfire Adept to become more physical;
and some other ideas I can't remember.

A kobold seems a bad choice for building Ridley due to the ability modifiers. After looking at kobold variants from Unearthed Arcana and pages 170-175 of the DMG, I came up with the following kobold variant:
Wild kobold

–2 DEX, -2 WIS. Wild kobolds are hardier than other kobolds, but are weak-willed. Their small size belies their strength and their clumsiness. (difference from a normal kobold: +4 STR, -4 DEX, +2 CON, -2 WIS)
No light sensitivity.
+2 racial bonus on Survival checks.
No racial bonus on Profession (mining) checks: Wild kobolds don't mine.
Favored Class: Barbarian. ... Sure why not.

I took the last three points from the desert kobold (UA 13). The first point was taken from both the desert kobold and an expansion of the earth kobold (UA 17). The desert kobold gives -4 STR, +2 DEX, -2 WIS; a difference of +2 CON, -2 WIS. The earth kobold gives -2 STR, -2 CON; a difference of +2 STR, -2 DEX. I increased the differences to +4 STR and -4 DEX.

So whether the following is an extreme variant on the Dragonfire Adept or a monster build all to itself, I present the tentative Dragonfire Berserk. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/monkeyfett/berserk.jpg)
Skills per level: probably 2+INT
Class skills: Climb, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Search, Spot, Survival, Swim

Upping the hit die to at least d10, maybe d12. Full BAB, poor will. Halving the Invocation progression and breath effect progression, removing Dragonkin and adding Wings (as a Swift Wing, DrM 51).
Ridley's invocation choices would be Deafening Roar, Frightful Presence, Terrifying Roar, and maybe Wingstorm.

Possible other ideas:

Changing the Scales progression to that of a Dragonkith (Drc 124), (+1 at first level, +1 every three levels after first; note: Dragonkith Scales ability stacks with existing natural armor; remove the stackability if given to Ridley?)
Maybe giving the Totem Dragon and Draconic Adaptation class abilities as a Dragon Shaman (PHB2 12)
Giving Ridley some natural weapons and maybe Improved Grab (easier if built as a monster?)

Is this build at all fair? What modifications to this build would you recommend to make it fair?
By fair I mean you would allow it if you were DM-ing.

Discussion topic for uninterested parties:
If this build isn't to your taste, what ideas do you guys have on how else to build Ridley in 3.5? Or if you don't want to talk about the space dragon, do you have any ideas for building Kraid, Mother Brain, space pirates, or metroids in 3.5?