PDA

View Full Version : How do you make a "spoiler"

Dragoon 6
2008-05-28, 01:26 AM
Hey everybody. how do you put info into a spoiler spot?
Help!

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-28, 01:35 AM
*Your Text Here*

Like that.

Charity
2008-05-28, 03:13 AM
and if you want to know how Tippy did that

He has special powers

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-28, 03:19 AM
and if you want to know how Tippy did that

He has special powers

Now someones just getting fancy. It's actually interesting how the computer treats double noparse tags. That last /noparse tag is treated as a loner, as the second noparse tag isn't recognized as code.

Charity
2008-05-28, 05:10 AM
Yeah I couldn't get the noparse statement inside a spoiler tag, which was of course my plan...

Zeta Kai
2008-05-28, 06:55 AM
Also, for the record, more information about the coding available for use on this forum can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode).

...or should I say here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode).

No, I really shouldn't.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-28, 09:32 AM
And here's where I point out that there are a few "gaps" in that FAQ, and you have to know where to dig stuff up from Board Issues:

A few strategies for figuring out any other formatting questions you may have:

Most formatting is described in the Forum FAQ (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/faq.php) (In the toolbar next to "User CP") under "Reading and Posting Messages" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_vb_read_and_post)/""Are there any special codes/tags I can use to markup my posts?" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_vb_special_codes)/. It describes everything except for horizontal rules, line breaks (Only useful for tables), some special table options, and dice rolling.

EDIT: There is also a link directly to this section of the FAQ at the very bottom of the reply window (under all previous replies) where it says "[url=http://www.giantitp.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode]vB code (]"Click Here"[/url) is On."
If your question isn't answered there, or if you just don't want to click through that many links, you can find someone that uses the formatting you need in their post and hit "Quote". The formatting of their post will usually be retained in the quote box.

Exceptions: Dice Rolls: Dice rolls are linked to the database in a special way that makes them show up as "[roll0]", "[roll1]", "[roll2]", and so on when quoted.
Horizontal Rules and Line Breaks: These are additions to the board code that are subject to a bug that causes the "[" to be replaced with "<" and "]" to be replaced with ">" when the post that contains them is quoted or edited. These need to be fixed manually.
To get the skinny on all the special options for tables, see the Board Issues thread "vBCode {table] installed".
For a full account of the dice roller, see the Board Issues thread "Dice Roller installed".

If you have trouble finding those last two links, you may have to do a board search.

Rawhide
2008-05-28, 09:48 AM
And here's where I point out that there are a few "gaps" in that FAQ, and you have to know where to dig stuff up from Board Issues:

There are more than a few gaps, omissions, and things not relevant to this forum. Its just the generic one that came with the software that we have been meaning to but have never gotten around to rewriting.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-28, 11:19 AM
There are more than a few gaps, omissions, and things not relevant to this forum.
Well, then either we have different ideas of what makes "a few", or I was just being polite. :smalltongue:

In any case, I tend to see the omissions as a bigger issue, since I don't think very many people read the "things not relevant to this forum" bits on the FAQ. Whereas the gaps become a bit more obvious when you've seen a few tables that use colspans and header rows. The number of "How do I do this?" threads vs. the "Why can't I do that?"* threads tends to demonstrate that, I think.

[hr]* Where "that" is a reference in regards to software functionality. I'm aware we get plenty of of "Why can't I do that?" threads in regards to board rules. :-P

Rawhide
2008-05-28, 03:52 PM
Don't forget that the table mechanics are very non standard and by virtue of this will get a lot more questions from people who don't read the FAQ.

For demonstration of this, check how many threads we get about spoilers which is in the FAQ.

Renegade Paladin
2008-05-28, 04:04 PM
I don't see why anybody ever needs to ask questions about board code they see at all. It's trivially easy to quote a post containing the phenomenon and see what the code is if you really want to know so badly.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-28, 04:21 PM
Yeah I couldn't get the noparse statement inside a spoiler tag, which was of course my plan...

Yes, my code fu is stronger than Charity's.

Charity
2008-05-28, 07:27 PM

There seems to be an extraneous [ in there that seems to not be matched though it must be used ... argh I still can't see how it works

...noparse][[/noparse]/spoil...

that one

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-28, 07:51 PM
There seems to be an extraneous [ in there that seems to not be matched though it must be used ... argh I still can't see how it works

...noparse][[/noparse]/spoil...

that one

Yes, its there because for some stupid reason the board won't ignore that [/spoiler] tag inside the spoiler box even though it is between noparse tag's. So I just added in the [ inbetween noparse tags so that it will show up as [/spoiler] in the final post (the noparse tags being edited out as code).

It appeared how I wanted but using unintuitive code because the stupid board won't noparse that [/spoiler] for some reason. If you enter it in the way that makes sense you get the following:

Charity
2008-05-29, 02:20 AM
Thanks Tippy, I will endeavour to remember that
*secretly creates a link to this page knowing fully well that he'll do no such thing*

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-29, 10:53 AM
I don't see why anybody ever needs to ask questions about board code they see at all. It's trivially easy to quote a post containing the phenomenon and see what the code is if you really want to know so badly.
The one exception, of course being the die roller. :smallwink:

I don't think it occurs to a number of people that quoting will reveal the coding. 'Specially if they're the type that doesn't quote very much to begin with.

Neftren
2008-05-29, 05:09 PM
There are more than a few gaps, omissions, and things not relevant to this forum. Its just the generic one that came with the software that we have been meaning to but have never gotten around to rewriting.

I believe I had a thread somewhere which listed most of the board codes. I never finished it though... I can organize it all into a big table and repost it so that others can link directly to it...

I just have to go dig it out.