PDA

View Full Version : Help with feat choice please

Breaw
2008-05-28, 01:59 AM
Playing a Human cleric of Kord with 1 level in Barbarian. He's super fun, part of that is due to the stats (18 str, 15 dex, 15 con, 14 wis, 13 int, 12 cha). I just leveled up and am having trouble picking a level 3 feat. My 2 previous feats were Improved unarmed and Improved grapple.

Play style atm is this: When things start to get physical I will generally start by grappling opponents and working to knock them out (finish with subdual), only spell I'm likely to cast here is enlarge person if the situation demands it. If me or member of my party are getting seriously injured I switch gears to greatsword mode and start bringing on the hurt. This suboptimal battle strategy works well to bring my ridiculously stated character more in line with the rest of the party.

If we are facing clear and obvious danger I instead buff the party and let heads roll. It all boils down to my characters perception of the danger he's in.

ANYWAY, what to pick for level 3 feat (also looking to fill level 6 feat, level 9 will be improved critical). I have been looking around and have a few options that look reasonable:

1) Power attack: Meh. I would rather not since in my game power attack is 1/1 damage gain even with 2 handers, and would rather pick something that the other slashers in the party didn't already have.

2) Combat expertise: Could use it to pick up improved trip at level 6 to fit with the wrestling theme.

3) Something to do with rage. Probably just pick up another rage per day, since imo casting while raging ruins the concept of raging.

I'm sure SOMEONE out there has the perfect skill (or two) for just such a situation. Please let me know what you think. ; )

SoD
2008-05-28, 02:19 AM
1) Yeah, you could grab power attack, but you've expressed your displeasure at it. However, I always (on melee orientated characters) enjoy grabbing it so I can take improved sunder. Nothing says 'Oh, sh*t!' like being able to say: 'oh, I just sundered your +5 vorpal greatsword of uberness'.

2) Combat Expertise going down the improved trip line: yeah, seems decent.

3) Rage orientated feats: look through complete warrior, it has feats such as 'extra rage', 'intimidating rage', 'instantaneous rage' and I'm pretty sure there's another.

My suggestion: In your situation, an extra rage or two wouldn't go astray. However, seeing as you seem to like the 'non-killing' method (non leathal damage), the power attack for improved sunder could also be good. Especially if you're putting stuff into intimidate: ''Give up now.'' ''Never! Not as long as I have my magic sword, you will fall before me!'' *ka-schwing!* ''Give up now.'' ''...ok.''