PDA

View Full Version : Sentient Aurora - Psionic ToB Discipline [PEACH]

Khatoblepas
2008-05-28, 09:32 AM
This is another Tome of Battle discipline I'm thinking of implementing into my campaign setting (hence the setting specific stuff. My campaign doesn't have the sacred nine disciplines, it's just another fighting style). But before I continue, I need feedback on the manuevers I've already created, and see if they're balanced or not (I based the dispelling strikes off of the Warlock's dispels, they are gained at roughly the same levels) and what I can include for the rest of the levels (I'm really drawing blanks here. Anything I include here I'll remove from any feats that I take them from, anyway x3)

More fluff to come.

Sentient Aurora

Associated Skill: Autohypnosis

The discipline of Sentient Aurora teaches that all psionic ability is mind over matter, and that if you think that you can control psionic energy, you can - it is not just those with innate psionic talent who can use psionics to their advantage. Both the Azcatian Diamond Army and the Trollkin horde teach this discipline, each with slight variations, and both argue that they created it.

1st
Subconscious Ward: Stance - gain bonus on saves against psionic powers and psi-like abilities based on Autohypnosis ranks.
Northern Illumination: Stance - gain constant detect psionics
Aurora's Refraction: Counter - delay the effects of a psionic power or psi-like ability for 1 round.
2nd
Mindfeeding Strike: Strike - steal a power from flat footed target.
Dawn's Focus: Boost - [psionic only] Regain psionic focus if you strike a foe in combat.
3rd
Dispelling Strike: Strike - deal +3d6 damage and dispel psionics on target.
Quell the Dawn: Counter - [trollkin only] Deal damage to foe and make him lose psionic focus.
Dissonant Aura: Stance - manifesters within 20ft must make concentration checks to manifest powers.
4th
--
5th
Greater Dispelling Strike: Strike - deal +6d6 damage and greater dispel psionics on target.
6th
Aurora's Reflection: Counter - turn a power back to the manifester, become dazed.
7th
Evershifting Lights: Counter - take no damage from a fatal attack with a successful autohypnosis check.
8th
Mindfeeding Aura: Boost - steal a power with each attack you make against a flatfooted foe.
Desolate Tundra: Stance - create a Null Psionics Field 5ft around yourself.
9th
Northern Cross: Strike - deal +15d6 damage, all enemies within 20ft are affected by an Null Psionics Field.

Subconscious Ward
Sentient Aurora (Stance)
Level: Swordsage 1
Initiation Action: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You

You can convince yourself that you are more resilient against psionics.

You gain a bonus to all saves against psionic powers and psi-like abilities based on your ranks in Autohypnosis.
Autohypnosis
Ranks Bonus
4-8 +1
9-13 +2
14-18 +3
19+ +4

This is a supernatural ability.

Dawn's Focus
Sentient Aurora (Boost)
Level: Swordsage 2
Prerequisite: One Sentient Aurora maneuver

Your weapon provides the perfect thing to concentrate on as you try to become psionically focused. Everything seems to go smoothly and without effort and as you strike the enemy, the world once again makes sense.

If you deal damage to an enemy with a melee attack the round you use this manuever, you automatically regain psionic focus.

Subconscious Ward
Sentient Aurora (Stance)

As you assume this stance, all psionic entities begin to glow with an evershifting, ephemeral light of many colours.

You gain detect psionics as an always-on, constant effect as long as you maintain this stance. You still most concentrate as the power to get more information, as normal.

Mindfeeding Strike
Sentient Aurora (Strike)
Level: Swordsage 3
Prerequisite: Two Sentient Aurora maneuvers
Initiation Action: 1 standard action
Range: Melee attack
Target: One flat-footed creature.

Your weapon reaches out, channeling your hungry mind and steals knowledge and energy from an opponent caught unawares.

As part of this manuever, you make a single melee attack against a flat-footed creature. If you are successful, you steal a psionic power of a level equal to your (Initiator Level /2, round down), maximum 9th and temporary power points enough to manifest that power at the minimum manifester level. THe next round, you can manifest that power. However, if you do not manifest the power, it fades, and you lose the temporary power points. While you have the power in your possession, the victim of this attack cannot manifest it.

Dispelling Strike
Sentient Aurora (Strike)
Target: One creature or object

Your weapons resonates with energy, and it sweeps into your opponent, disrupting the psionic energy imbuing them with power.

As part of this manuever, you make a single melee attack against a creature or an object. If you hit, you deal +3d6 damage to the creature or object, and they are affected by a targetted dispel psionics (roll d20+Initiator Level, max +10).

Greater Dispelling Strike
Sentient Aurora (Strike)
Level: Swordsage 5
Prerequisite: Three Sentient Aurora maneuvers
Target: One creature or object

Your strike rings true, your weapon resonating with the same frequency of your foe's active psionic powers, disrupting them.

As part of this manuever, you make a single melee attack against a creature or an object. If you hit, you deal +6d6 damage to the creature or object, and they are affected by a targetted greater dispel psionics (roll d20+Initiator Level, max +20).

Aurora's Refraction
Sentient Aurora (Counter)
Initiation Action: 1 immediate action

You focus on the power trying to take hold of you, and convince yourself so vehemently that you aren't being affected, the psionic power cannot take hold of you as easily.

When you fail the save of any power that targets you (not an area effect power), make an Autohypnosis check with the same DC as the spell's save. If you succeed, you delay the effects of the power for one round. After this time has elapsed, you are affected as normal.

Quell the Dawn

Your enemy attempts to strike you, momentarily leaving themselves open to a mental assault.

If you take damage from a melee attack, you can create a temporary feedback loop with the contact made by the attack. The enemy takes damage equal to 1+your ranks in Autohypnosis, or the damage of it's attack, whichever is lower, and it automatically loses psionic focus.

Evershifting Lights

The enemy drives his weapon into you, drawing blood and grievously wounding you, but still you stand as resolute as before, having convinced yourself you are not yet done for.

If an attack would reduce you to 0 hit points or less, you can make an autohypnosis check (DC10+amount of damage taken) to take no damage from that attack.

Dissonant Aura
Sentient Aurora (Stance)

Your force of will is so strong, you can convince even other people that they cannot manifest psionic powers.

While your are in this stance, each manifester within a 20ft radius of you must make a concentration check (DC = 10+ranks in Autohypnosis+Wis modifier) to manifest a power.

Aurora's Reflection
Level: Swordsage 6
Prerequisite: Three Sentient Aurora maneuvers
Target: You and 1 Manifester.

Your strength of will forces the power back to whence it came.

If you are targetted by a power (not an area of effect power), you can make an opposed check (d20+Initiator Level vs 10+manifester level of the power targetting you) to force it back at the manifester as an immediate action. Whether you succeed or fail, you are dazed for 1 round afterward.

Desolate Tundra
Sentient Aurora (Stance)
Level: Swordsage 8
Prerequisite: Four Sentient Aurora maneuvers

You concentrate on the psionic aura surrounding you, shunning it with such immense conviction that the very air around you becomes cold with the vacuum of psionic energy you have created.

While your are in this stance, you have a Null Psionics Field active, centered on you, emanating out with a radius of 5ft. You are treated as being inside your own Null Psionics Field.

Mindfeeding Aura
Sentient Aurora (Boost)
Level: Swordsage 8
Prerequisite: Four Sentient Aurora maneuvers

You channel your hungry mind through your weapon, decimating your foe's psionic talents.

With each attack this round you make against a flat-footed opponent, you can steal a power as if you had hit with Mindfeeding Strike. The temporary power points and stolen powers persist for a number of rounds equal to 1+your Wis modifier instead of 1 round.

Northern Cross
Sentient Aurora (Strike)
Level: Swordsage 9
Prerequisite: Five Sentient Aurora maneuvers
Target: One creature (see text)

You slice through the enemy, the aurora streaming from your weapon, emanating in a cross shape outward from you, quelling the psionic storm.

As part of this manuever, you make a single melee attack. If you hit, you deal +15d6 damage and affect the target as Null Psionics Field. Also, every enemy within 20ft must make a Will Save (DC19+your Wis modifier) or also be affected by an Null Psionics Field for 1 round. Enemies affected by this manuever cannot use powers, psi-like abilities, or supernatural abilities, and their items are surpressed.

Embrace the Aurora
Prerequisite: Psionic subtype or Trollkin, Swordsage level 1st.
Benefit: Add Autohypnosis to your class skill list. You gain access to the Sentient Aurora discipline. You can learn manuevers from this discipline as normal.

Stycotl
2008-05-28, 10:47 AM
very interesting. don't have time for critical analysis at the moment, but will read everything later. at the moment though, you need more maneuvers. and the 9th level northern cross is underpowered in my opinion. 9d6 is not that much paired with 1 round of null psionics.

i have been pondering a psionic discipline for a while now, and you might have just saved me a lot of work. so i'll be by to give more feedback in a bit.

cool idea. hat's off to you. aaron out.

Stycotl
2008-05-28, 10:10 PM
ok, after some reading, here are my thoughts.

-again, more maneuvers. i know, they are hard to come up with. that is when you ask for help from the playground.

-also, come up with a tactical feat for this discipline. and give something else to the feat you already have. autohyp is cool, but maybe a +s bonus to concentrate checks or something.

-warding stance: cool.

-both dispelling strikes: in my opinion the damage should be higher. that's just me though. if you like it where it is, keep it there. if i were doing it, i would do 4d6 for the 3rd level, and 8d6 for the 5th level dispel.

-aurora's refraction: too high level. either drop it to 1st or 2nd level, or delay it until the end of the encounter, and even then, it might rate a 3rd level slot.

-dissonant aura: base this on your autohyp ranks, like you did the warding stance. otherwise, there is just too much rolling involved. say, DC of manifester check equals 10 for 4-8 ranks; 15 for 9-12 ranks; 20 for 13-16 ranks; 25 for 17-20 ranks; and 30 for 21-24 ranks. these numbers were just made off the top of my head, so i am not really sure that they are on par with actual caster level capability. they might be too low or too high, but this was the jist of what i was saying. also, raise the radius. 20 feet sounds good. 10 feet is melee range. that will make this maneuver a lot more viable.

-aurora's reflection: a+

-northern cross: more damage. it's a 9th level effect for crying out loud. 9d6 is pathetic compared to the 20d6, auto 100, and other high damage outputs of high level (not even neccesarily 9th level) maneuvers.

either raise damage to 14d6 or so, *or* make so that the target of the melee attack does not get a save against the null psionics field. anyone else in range can save, but not that one foe.

EDIT: on second thought, after actually reading null psionics field, i change my mind. the power doesn't give a save anyway, and though it says "see text" for power resistance, my perusal didn't find how it is affected. so i would still just raise the damage. no save for anyone. raise damage to 14d6 or 15d6, and call it good.

other than that, i can't think of anything. good job. aaron out.

Khatoblepas
2008-05-29, 08:34 PM
Updated. :)

I still need more manuevers, though. :\

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-29, 08:52 PM
This discipline switches moods from overpowered to nigh-useless too wildly. Northern cross, for example. Against psionicists (And casters, if you enforce the transparency that isn't so transparent), it's amazing. Everything else, and it's a buncha crap, because it's a single strike that has no effect other than adding a pitiful 52.5 extra damage. It needs a rebalancing and being thought out on the fact that pigeonholing on psionics makes it either useless or broken.

Khatoblepas
2008-05-30, 06:42 AM
This discipline switches moods from overpowered to nigh-useless too wildly. Northern cross, for example. Against psionicists (And casters, if you enforce the transparency that isn't so transparent), it's amazing. Everything else, and it's a buncha crap, because it's a single strike that has no effect other than adding a pitiful 52.5 extra damage. It needs a rebalancing and being thought out on the fact that pigeonholing on psionics makes it either useless or broken.

Um, null psionics fields stops supernatural abilities, too. Take the Balor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#balor) for example. While it doesn't make him useless, it declaws him significantly, and it only affects him. Sure, some monsters won't see a benefit, like the Terrasque (who has no supernatural abilities) but incorporeal creatures will be taken out of the picture, and the majority of high level enemies are, in fact, plentiful with the supernatural abilities, and buff spells/powers, and stuff like that.

Of course there'd be times when it's inappropriate to use some Sentient Aurora manuevers. Just like there's times when you shouldn't use some Setting Sun manuevers (like the throws. I don't think you can break the size difference rules, so usually Huge and larger creatures are unaffected by it.) It's situational, just like most of the manuvers for the Swordsage. That's why they get so many of them. Desert Wind can't affect Fire immune creatures, setting sun can't affect creatures two size catagories larger than you, Stone Dragon can't affect flying creatures higher than your reach, Sentient Aurora has no point against nonpsionic/magical creatures. Also, it's not a regular discipline. You have to take a feat to even access it.

13379\/\/4R
2008-07-01, 07:53 AM
What are the Sentient Auroras prefered weapons?