PDA

View Full Version : Planar Binding's Morality

SolkaTruesilver
2008-05-28, 03:12 PM
As I understood, trapping an extraplanar entity that is always evil (ex: Devils, Demons) is an evil act. All right, I can understand that meddling with super-evil powers is bad.

But.. as the spell description states, if I TRAP a good-aligned creature and bind him to do what I want, it's a good act???

Albonor
2008-05-28, 03:53 PM
Yeah, that's a good example of "let the DM make the call, not the spell descriptor".

black dragoon
2008-05-28, 03:59 PM
I second that one. Honestly a lot of the supposed evil acts and acts of good are really meant for specific situations. I mean heck I know one guy who did almost nearly every act in the book of vile darkness but, always did so with good intentions (planescape seriously anything can and does happen)

mostlyharmful
2008-05-28, 04:18 PM
I'd go so far as to say Calling them and then permenantly locking them down with soul binding or just straight Binding is a Good act (yes, capital letter Good). Grabbing them and "Carbon Locking" them out of the cycle can only be a beneficial thing from the point of view of the multiverse

Jack_Simth
2008-05-28, 04:18 PM
As I understood, trapping an extraplanar entity that is always evil (ex: Devils, Demons) is an evil act. All right, I can understand that meddling with super-evil powers is bad.

But.. as the spell description states, if I TRAP a good-aligned creature and bind him to do what I want, it's a good act???
Mind you, you're probably using Magic Circle Against Good (an [Evil] spell) to do so....

If you want to be absolutely sure you're in the clear, there's a few steps you need to take.

1) Use a Knoweledge check to find an appropriate, specific outsider who's got something of a mercenary spirit.
2) Contact said outsider outside the bounds of the Planar Binding spells - Greater Scrying and Message, or Sending, perhaps.
3) Skip the Magic Circle and Dimensional Anchor spells.
4) Pay the critter as appropriate to the Planar Ally line.

Do things that way, and it's not so much a kidnapping as it is setting up an appointment.

black dragoon
2008-05-28, 04:24 PM
Bribes? Well I guess that would work but wouldn't a Fiend just ask for your soul damming you anyway?

Jack_Simth
2008-05-28, 04:38 PM
Bribes? Well I guess that would work but wouldn't a Fiend just ask for your soul damming you anyway?
So don't do fiends. Call in Elementals, Angels, Archons, and other nonevil outsiders.