PDA

View Full Version : Homage to Bunko's Basement

Draz74
2008-05-28, 06:15 PM
Hey everyone,

I've noticed I haven't heard too much about items from sources other than the PHB, DMG, and MIC. What items from other sources are good to know about? (Let's try to stay away from Arms & Equipment Guide mostly, since it's 3.0.)

Here's the few I've heard quite a bit about:

That ridiculous overpowered whirling dagger thing from a Forgotten Realms book
The Splitting enhancement from Champions of Ruin
Wand Bracers and Wand Chambers from Dungeonscape
Belt of Magnificence from Miniatures Handbook
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis from Tome of Magic

What other items -- mundane or magical -- are good to be aware of?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-28, 06:21 PM
The Belt of Battle. Widely considered the second most powerful item ever, right after the candle of invocation. MiC

The Glowstone, from some FR book. Recharges one charge from an item every 10 minutes. Buy one and never run out of charges again. It's rumoured this is every Artificer's wet dream.

Thiel
2008-05-28, 06:25 PM
There's a lot of handy nonmagical equipment scattered around the different source books.
The special arrows from Races of the Wild comes to mind. (Arrows that deal slashing, bludgeoning or non-lethal damage instead of piercing)

Draz74
2008-05-28, 06:32 PM
The Belt of Battle. Widely considered the second most powerful item ever, right after the candle of invocation. MiC

Only, MIC was one of the sources I wasn't asking for. :smallwink:

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-28, 06:42 PM
Marbles and 11 foot poles.

Thought bottle, as I'm sure it appeared outside the MiC.

A dorje of Timeless body. You're invulnerable to anything 50 times.

Nebo_
2008-05-28, 06:57 PM
Dust of Sneezing and Choking.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-28, 07:04 PM
Dust of Sneezing and Choking.

He said no core or MiC.

Curmudgeon
2008-05-28, 07:36 PM
Self-loading crossbow, from Arms and Equipment Guide. You can add the quick loading property (updated in MIC) to make it a semi-automatic weapon.

Great crossbows, from Races of the Wild. Good damage, but an even better threat range (18-20). Whip up some Keen Edge magic on 50 bolts at a time and you're in good shape -- although it's still an exotic weapon.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-28, 07:38 PM
Let's try to stay away from Arms & Equipment Guide mostly, since it's 3.0.

:smalltongue:

sonofzeal
2008-05-28, 09:09 PM
From obscure books?

Gal-Ralan (Fiend Folio) - acts like a Cloak of Resistance, except it also gives you an additional +2 on saves against death effects, ability drain, and "soul effects" (such as Magic Jar), and costs a fraction of the price (+1 for 625 gp; +5 for 15,600 gp). The downside is it lowers your Con by 1 (people with odd Con values rejoice!)

Night's Extract (Fiend Folio) - creates a 20' radius of deep darkness akin to starlight. Gets you a 50% mischance if they have normal vision, 20% if they have Low-Light, and nothing if they have Darkvision... and magical light dispels it. Still, it lasts for hours and costs a mere 50 gp a pop, so it's easy to toss around everywhere and if it doesn't work, no big deal.

Scorpions Claws (Sandstorm) - exotic light weapon, slashing 1d6/x2... but {a} can be used in a grapple at no penalty, and {b} gives a +4 on grapple checks. See if you can talk your DM into letting you dual-weild for a +8. :smallcool:

Hal
2008-05-28, 09:52 PM
I forget what they're called, but there are arrows in RoW that deal 1 point of fire damage. Useful is you're wanting to set something on fire from a distance and don't have a mage around.

Earthsilk Jersey (RoS). It gives you DR 1/Slashing, Bludgeoning. So, it only blocks one type of damage, but for 150gp, how can you pass up DR 1?

And pretty much anything from Dungeonscape. I like the Oil chambers. A trick I want to try out: Fill a weapon oil chamber with lantern oil, then get it set ablaze after attacking an enemy. Yes, you get lit, too, but combine that with some elemental resistance and you're golden.