PDA

View Full Version : Portal!

BURNhollywoodBURN
2008-05-28, 08:46 PM
OK, so I just bought a new graphics card, and should be able to play Portal soon. I just want to see if you guys have any useful advice for me before I can play.
(Note: If you use the words "cake" or "lie," I will kill you.)

MeklorIlavator
2008-05-28, 08:57 PM
The sweet confectionery is a falsehood.:smallbiggrin:

tyckspoon
2008-05-28, 08:58 PM
Save before entering any room with a chance of death. The game has an autosave function that activates when you kill yourself, but you can't completely count on it.. it might create its save point while you're still under fire by a turret or about to get whanged in the face by an Aperture Science High Energy Pellet.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-28, 09:19 PM
http://4chanarchive.org/images/v/10440296/1201783728389.jpg

Neftren
2008-05-28, 09:23 PM
I've always wanted to see a screenshot of someone shooting a portal at the ground, then putting the exit directly above it in the ceiling. Then you jump in and fall out the ceiling... and back into the blue portal. Infinite loop!

tyckspoon
2008-05-28, 09:27 PM
I've always wanted to see a screenshot of someone shooting a portal at the ground, then putting the exit directly above it in the ceiling. Then you jump in and fall out the ceiling... and back into the blue portal. Infinite loop!

There's an Achievement for that, actually. It's awarded if you manage to continuously fall something like a thousand feet, which can only be achieved by lining up a wall-floor pair and letting Chell fall for a few minutes.

Edit: Scribe, would you mind [spoiler]ing that? It's stretching the frames.

onasuma
2008-05-29, 06:56 AM
Best map pack: http://portalmaps.wecreatestuff.com/
Just make sure you can open rar files.

Breltar
2008-05-29, 07:50 AM
Also might want to practice on the Portal Flash Game (http://portal.wecreatestuff.com/portal.php), it is a fun diversion. Just dont let your boss catch you playing at work.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-05-29, 07:56 AM
Advice: if you are subject of motion sickness (even if you are not), take a soft drink with you while playing that game. Or bring some gingember to chew on. That game made me wanna throw out, and my friend (who I was playing with, switching seats) got a very bad headache because of that amazing game.

valadil
2008-05-29, 08:43 AM
I agree with trying the flash version first. I've seen a few people just not get Portal. They seem to think the portals cut holes in walls. Seeing the game from the side better illustrates whats going on so that when you do play the real thing you'll have a better understanding of what's going on.

As far as the game itself goes, the beginning was a huge let down for me. The game is 19 levels long and the first 17 felt like basic training missions. They were fun, don't get me wrong. But I would have liked some of the more interesting content to show up earlier.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-05-29, 02:26 PM
OK, so I just bought a new graphics card, and should be able to play Portal soon. I just want to see if you guys have any useful advice for me before I can play.

Quicksave is your greatest ally

Attilargh
2008-05-29, 02:41 PM
Think with Portals. GLaDOS is your friend. Do not look into the operational end of the Device.

There's an Achievement for that, actually. It's awarded if you manage to continuously fall something like a thousand feet, which can only be achieved by lining up a wall-floor pair and letting Chell fall for a few minutes.
Thousand? More like thirty thousand. I found setting up a roof-floor pair in the really tall room in level 18 worked pretty well. Trying to build a gravitational accelerator was a pain, however. I still don't get how people manage to break that one glass pipe by shooting a computer at it.

NEO|Phyte
2008-05-29, 02:46 PM
I still don't get how people manage to break that one glass pipe by shooting a computer at it.

You mean the "Oh, you're supposed to get the rocket turret to blow out that glass pipe? I just used a computer" pipe?

Because if they're like me, what they mean is that they dropped a computer in front of the vent and used it as a stepping stool to proceed. It honestly didn't occur to me to blow the pipe until I played through with the commentary and reached that part.

Attilargh
2008-05-29, 02:59 PM
I'm not that dense, I know what normal people do. God know I attempted it, only to be foiled by the insanely bouncy objects I tried to step on. I meant what I said, I'm certain there are people who've maaged to accelerate a piece of furniture to such speed it breaks the tube.

As an amusing aside, I think I broke it accidentally the first time around. I'd accidentally left a portal open and the turret had shot the pipe. When I wasn't looking.

Corlindale
2008-05-29, 03:20 PM
Judging from the commentary, it seems that a reason for the game's relatively slow start is that playtesters had so much trouble grasping the concept of portals. I got it quickly, but didn't really mind the long tutorial-ish part. After all, it is actually a game in which it makes sense for the story to have a lot of the game in tutorial form, and the sheer joyous feel of portalling made me live with the initial simplicity of puzzles.

I love the game, played through it thrice and mean to replay it again - and I'm not sure I could say that about any other game.

SurlySeraph
2008-05-29, 03:47 PM
Eventually, you will fight turrets. Killing the turrets will make you feel guilty, because they speak like children and say sad things when they die. Kill them anyway.

Also, the game is very short. You'll be left wanting more at the end of it.

Eakin
2008-05-29, 06:47 PM

You aren't going to need too much advice. It's a fun game, but hard it is not. At least until you fire up the challenges.

Icewalker
2008-05-29, 06:57 PM
Yeah, it is a very user-friendly game.

As to the extended amounts of tutorials thing, it is partially because Portal kind of is a tutorial: it was a test on the game system, to see if it worked, and if they should make more games in the future. The answer was yes. :smallbiggrin:

Attilargh
2008-05-29, 11:56 PM
You aren't going to need too much advice. It's a fun game, but hard it is not. At least until you fire up the challenges.
Some of which can be, yes, pretty honkin' hard. Like the one where the turrets get put into immovable cages. Murder.

Icewalker
2008-05-30, 12:44 AM
Yeah, I never beat the challenge version of TC 16. I couldn't figure out the turret room in 18 either.