PDA

View Full Version : (Can't believe I'm asking this...) AoOs and Charging

evisiron
2008-05-29, 12:18 AM
After playing for several years I think I spotted something all our groups have been doing wrong, but need to ask.

Does Charging prevent Attacks of Opportunity from your target?

I have always seen it played this way but cannot find anything to back it up in the SRD.
Have we been wrong all this time?

*EDIT* Question answered. Thank you to all those that replied. :smallsmile:*

Crow
2008-05-29, 12:19 AM
No it does not.

Nebo_
2008-05-29, 12:21 AM
Of course not. You were wrong.

tyckspoon
2008-05-29, 12:25 AM
No. Using the Spring Attack feat does not provoke from your target, but Charging follows all the normal movement rules in addition to its own restrictions. However, normally charging will only provoke an Attack of Opportunity if the charger has less reach than his target, because the AoO is triggered for moving out of a threatened square. It's perfectly safe to charge into a threatened square in order to attack as long as you don't have to move any further.

Tehnar
2008-05-29, 02:08 AM
But you can tumble as a part of your charging movement. Which wont provoke attacks of oportunity.

daggaz
2008-05-29, 09:32 AM
Of course not. You were wrong.

Dude, Morbo... the correct answer was,

"WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!"

FlyMolo
2008-05-29, 09:56 AM
Dude, Morbo... the correct answer was,

"WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!"

Yes. Quoted for truth.

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-29, 10:00 AM
Not that this is necessary, but that would make a few ToB maneuvers a bit rubbish- there're several that say "You charge, and do not provoke AoOs for doing so."

kamikasei
2008-05-29, 10:02 AM
Not that this is necessary, but that would make a few ToB maneuvers a bit rubbish- there're several that say "You charge, and do not provoke AoOs for doing so."

Ah, but is the point of them to avoid AoOs from your target (which only comes up with reach) or from other enemies you might pass in a crowded battle?

ashmanonar
2008-05-29, 10:10 AM
Ah, but is the point of them to avoid AoOs from your target (which only comes up with reach) or from other enemies you might pass in a crowded battle?

From other enemies.

Of course, ToB is notorious for having poorly worded maneuvers. It very well could be the opposite.