PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Daggers

Kyroswolf
2008-05-29, 01:13 PM
I have a Master Thrower NPC that I am using as a recurring opponent in my Table Top game. I'm scouring my books looking for a throwing dagger, but can't find one. Does anyone know if such an item exists, or do I have to create a custom one? I know that a regular dagger has a range increment of 10 feet, but wondered if there was something better?

SolkaTruesilver
2008-05-29, 01:19 PM
Hum.. you could make a composite Throwing dagger. I do believe it increases the range..

[/joke]
(sorry, I just finished reading the joke thread)

Enguhl
2008-05-29, 01:22 PM
Not to my knowledge, though the far shot feat would help here. Also you could just fudge some stuff and say they are a special new kind of dagger.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-05-29, 01:24 PM
Hum, I also think there is a magical enhancement to increase range, no?

SamTheCleric
2008-05-29, 01:24 PM
Why not just use the Dart? Same damage... 20 ft range.

Kyroswolf
2008-05-29, 01:38 PM
Not Darts, for flavor. I've think a throwing knife is just....cool.

If no one knows of one I'll probably just fudge in the range for the dart. This character has already done battle once. So I'm not likely to change her feats around. Will see what is discovered before her next appearance.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-29, 02:04 PM
If I had a dagger/knife specially balanced for throwing in one of my games, I'd keep the standard dagger range interval, but give it a +1 to attack when thrown. More expensive than a standard dagger, but not as expensive as Masterwork.

I'm trying to picture just how good a Master Thrower should be... of course thinking about the girl in El Mariachi... should be easy for her to hit a bulls' eye on a dartboard from 15 feet (-2 penalty to attack for range interval); what would you consider the equivalent Armor Class?

Duke of URL
2008-05-29, 02:18 PM
Not Darts, for flavor. I've think a throwing knife is just....cool.

Darts aren't the type of darts you throw at a board, they're throwing knives. Pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

Kyroswolf
2008-05-29, 02:58 PM
Thanks, All. Now to find a way to get that Masterwork bonus without the ridiculous cost.

Timberboar
2008-05-29, 03:02 PM
Thanks, All. Now to find a way to get that Masterwork bonus without the ridiculous cost.

Just write it down on his sheet?

I guess I don't understand. Are you tracking an NPC's monetary resources?

Tsotha-lanti
2008-05-29, 03:05 PM
Darts aren't the type of darts you throw at a board, they're throwing knives. Pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

Well, technically they're miniature javelins, but it all works out the same.

Kyroswolf
2008-05-29, 03:14 PM
Just write it down on his sheet?

I guess I don't understand. Are you tracking an NPC's monetary resources?

The short answer is yes. The long answer is this particular NPC has....or rather had, a bandoleer that functioned similar to a belt of many pockets, but would only hold the weapons from her particular guild, so she could stuff hundreds of her throwing daggers into it, and have near infinite ammo. I'm sorry but no way I'm going to give a PC, much less and NPC 30,000gp worth of Mwk Daggers.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-29, 03:18 PM
Not saying you have to pay any attention to this - I'm all in favor of doing whatever seems best to you, or even just whatever seems coolest...

From the 3.5 PHB:
A dart is the size of a large arrow and has a weighted head. Essentially, it is a small javelin.

I assume the difference between a dart and throwing knife is that a dart is thrown paper airplane/javelin style, while a knife is thrown like a tomahawk, spinning end over end... (That is how you throw a knife/tomahawk, isn't it? I've never thrown either one.) :smallredface:

Oh, and here's the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dart_%28missile%29).

Tsotha-lanti
2008-05-29, 03:19 PM
Hundreds seems pointlessly excessive. And why make them masterwork? If you have to have exceptional ones, just get a few returning daggers. It's not like they'll be throwing more than 2-3 per round (well, unless they're TWFing) anyway.

Timberboar
2008-05-29, 03:22 PM
The short answer is yes. The long answer is this particular NPC has....or rather had, a bandoleer that functioned similar to a belt of many pockets, but would only hold the weapons from her particular guild, so she could stuff hundreds of her throwing daggers into it, and have near infinite ammo. I'm sorry but no way I'm going to give a PC, much less and NPC 30,000gp worth of Mwk Daggers.

Ah, it's a matter of scale. I see. :)

Why not go the Jarlaxle route and have just a handful of throwing knives enchanted to return to his hand anytime he reaches for one? Without an enhancement bonus, they'd be a neat magical effect for PCs without the potential of unbalancing your campaign economy.

The "magic" belt could just be a bit of misdirection.

Anyway, just a thought. Good luck to ya!

Kyroswolf
2008-05-29, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the advice. Well the PCs now have the belt. One of them is playing a Spellwarp Sniper from CompAd. He managed to spot the MT after she nearly downed the teams samaria. Hit her with both Scorching Rays and took her down to -4....from full health. Yeah....kinda regretting letting that class in the game. Anyway. They were told they would get a bigger reward for brining the MT in alive, so they looted her, but she is still a going concern in the campaign, they just don't know it yet. Anyway, when she makes her reappearance she might just have a few +1 Returning Daggers.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-29, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the advice. Well the PCs now have the belt. One of them is playing a Spellwarp Sniper from CompAd. He managed to spot the MT after she nearly downed the teams samaria. Hit her with both Scorching Rays and took her down to -4....from full health. Yeah....kinda regretting letting that class in the game. Anyway. They were told they would get a bigger reward for brining the MT in alive, so they looted her, but she is still a going concern in the campaign, they just don't know it yet. Anyway, when she makes her reappearance she might just have a few +1 Returning Daggers.

Y'know about that handy ability named Attuned?

Kyroswolf
2008-05-29, 09:33 PM
I do not. I have MIC, but haven't read it cover to cover.