PDA

View Full Version : That ONE Guy

Jimp
2008-05-29, 01:19 PM
Recently I have noticed that one of the players in my IRL group consistently plays the same character in EVERY game. Looking back over the games I've been with him in, either as another player or DM, he has always played a brooding and surly fighter. Every. Single. Time. Not even with class variation, just straight fighter, even though he has expressed interest multiple times in ToB classes and said classes being allowed in-game. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't result in basically the same gaming experience in every session. His character gets drunk and surly, either gives out about not fighting enough or starts a bar fight and otherwise does very little until a combat pops up.
Anyone else experience something like this?

SamTheCleric
2008-05-29, 01:22 PM
All of my wizards are sarcastic know-it alls that treat other people as though they are but insects beneath his boot.

And I don't try to do that.

Wow, what does that say about me? :smalleek:

Enguhl
2008-05-29, 01:26 PM
Not someone that plays the same character exactly, but he played the same general character. You know, twice the class levels of the rest of the party with at least +7 LA worth of templates that no one had heard of (and i have 38 D&D books and have at least skimmed through the others...). He also generally gets about 10 levels above us in wealth. We were pretty sure something was going on between him adn the DM, seeing as when we started a level 5 campaign he got to bring his level 10 character over from another campaign.
Back to the point of the thread, its generally some 3000 year old half dragon kind of character with amazing levels in sorcerer and fighter apparently...

SolkaTruesilver
2008-05-29, 01:38 PM
bah, I knew someone who always wanted to make a Ranger/Druid with an archery build. Every. Single. Time.

Oh. An elf every time too.

Also, she wanted casting, that's why she took levels in druid. But not all the way. She ended up being a not too good archer, with sub-par spellcasting abilities. And then she complained she wasn't pulling her weight..

Here are my characters I played, if you see a pattern, please tell me:

- Male Avariel Druid
- Male Human Sorcerer (a charmer)
- Male Dwarf Fighter/Kensai
- Male Human Rogue
- Male Human Warlock (that one could have lied his way into heaven)
- Male Elf Beguiler
- Male Grey Elf Wizard

But on the other hand, I also knew someone who always played the same human wizard (by default. When he died but we kept the same campaign, he changed). Luckily for us, "Tilius" (the human wizard) was a very good roleplay, and while he was an arrogant jerkass, we had a lot (LOT) of fun with him.

Torgo Stoutshield, my dwarven figher mentionned up-there, was introduced with the group where Tilius was the "leader" (because he was "noble", hehe). I had a deal with the DM, and my character was the Prince of the Clan Stoutshield (brother of the Thane), one veryrespected torough the Delzoun clans, and he was about 14th in line of inheritance of Adbar's throne. Well, to make a long story short, my character wanted to keep his mouth shut about his inheritance, and simply wanted to kill greenskins adventuring. When Tilius started barking orders and insulting Torgo, the poor wizard had a charging dwarf directed toward him, and it took the rest of the whole party (5 guys!) to hold Torgo off. the Dwarf would probably have smashed a few teeth of that snob "noble".

Good times... :smallcool:

I think it ends up if the character that keep being re-created is enjoyable to play along with or not. Which, at the end, is how to judge a character. If someone play something different every single time, but his roleplay is just.. bad, then it's just as bad.

Glyde
2008-05-29, 01:59 PM
One of my friends always plays a sarcastic character, often a bard or sorcerer. It can get annoying sometimes having to deal with his characters, depending on who I'm playing. I don't really follow a trend. Well, I shouldn't say that. All my characters are ****ing weird races.

currently active:
Male Half-Fiend Blade, NE (2e)
Warforged Fighter (Not really weird, but certainly weird for my group.)
Female Ibixian/Minotaur Priestess of Eldath (I love this one)
And... Female Human Rogue disguised as a male city guard for half the campaign.

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-29, 02:01 PM
I've seen it crossing game systems.

First was the Star Wars Human Soldier. "He's a stormtrooper who got amnesia. He likes guns." (paraphrased)

Next- D&D Human Fighter, Erasmus Stern. I wasn't in this campaign, but I know he had an ancestral shortsword that he never used, because the bastard sword was better.

Then in another campaign, he played that guy's descendant, a cleric of... you'll never guess... Erasmus Stern.

My characters tend to have a little more variation. First one I did was an Elf Wizard, and since then (even ignoring PbP) I've gone through Half-Elf Cleric of Olidammara (did take a Rogue level, too), a Half-Orc Paladin, a Human Rogue-going-on-Shadowdancer, and an Elf Druid. PbP, meanwhile, I have such things as an Elf Psionic Weaponmaster and the pure insanity of the Gestalt Illithid Favoured Soul of Trithereon (CG God of Freedom)// Wilder/Illithid Slayer.

Pie Guy
2008-05-29, 02:10 PM
Out of my three characters so far (for some reason, we always are way overpowered, even when not trying. Most of us not trying), two have been sorcs. Well, ones a fighter multiclassed to sorc. I like spontaenious casting, so sue me.

Adumbration
2008-05-29, 02:11 PM
Let's see. My characters so far - all from this year.

Half-orc cleric of Kord.
Air goblin swordsage.
Rogue/Fortune's Friend (human, I think).
Wood-elf Duskblade.
Human sorceror/stormcaster.
Favored soul of Iborighu.

Most of them have been on one-shots, unfortunately - my playing style has degraded from at least slightly roleplaying to just going after the phat lewts. No point in real character developement or history if you know it won't last. I've found myself on couple of occasions showing up without a name - just made something on the spot, and never heard it used again.

Kinda sad, really. Started playing DnD last autumn, when I was introduced to the DM.

Duke of URL
2008-05-29, 02:15 PM
It does sound like a rut to me. On some level, I've reused character concepts, names, and backstories, but I play other characters as well.

My current characters in PbP games are:

{table]Trevor Nightshade | Male CN Human Warlock | (2 games) Arrogant, self-centered, and not much of a long-range thinker/planner
Taia "Shredder" D'rea | Female CN Pixie Rogue//Dervish | (2 games) Self-confident, in it for the fun of it, likes the trappings of wealth
Grish | Female CN Half-Orc Fighter/Rogue | (Really Male, but those darned cursed belts...) Tough, thuggish, currently way out of his/her depth
Garrin Kite | TN Human Wizard | Bookish, sarcastic, devoted to the family business
Knaath | NE Flind Fighter | Cruel, vicious, greedy
Sherrik Nath | NE Human (Necropolitan) Dread Necromancer | Sold out his hometown and joined the undead willingly because he wanted to be on the winning side
Galan Hanforth | TN Human Bard | Brash, self-confident, diplomat and infiltrator
[/table]

Scintillatus
2008-05-29, 02:21 PM
I like to keep a stable of personalities and names so I don't just make Joe Genericdude each time, but I also make new characters when prodded to. This might be contributed to by the fact that I have yet to finish a damned game.

SurlySeraph
2008-05-29, 02:26 PM
I tend to play death-obsessed paladins very, very often.

Telonius
2008-05-29, 02:29 PM

- Male Avariel Druid
- Male Human Rogue
- Male Elf Beguiler
- Male Grey Elf Wizard

Pattern detected. They're all male! :smallbiggrin: Also seem to be on the charismatic side.

valadil
2008-05-29, 02:51 PM
I know a that ONE girl. It's not that she always plays the same build, but she always plays the same character and uses the same tactics.

The time this irked me the most was for a game I was running. She'd just finished up playing an elven ranger who focused on archery. She said she wanted something different, so she'd try a scout (at this point none of us had seen a scout played before so despite the thematics it was sufficiently different). Not wanting to be left behind she asked me to help with her build. I explained that a scout could either be a mobile sniper or a charging melee in order to get use out of skirmish. She opted for the melee for variety's sake. I gave her a bunch of appropriate feats and she had a fairly solid character. Over the course of the game though she never once drew a weapon that wasn't her long bow. Then she whined about how I gimped her. I should have sundered the damn bow and done her a favor.

I can understand recycling a character. I've had several that didn't last long enough for me to fully explore them. Repeatedly going for the same character however is beyond me.

Da King
2008-05-29, 03:10 PM
Samurai McDualwield, he is obsessed with Dual-Wielding gigantic swords (usually over-sized monkey-gripped bastard swords) and ALWAYS plays a Human fighter, and only ever takes the prestige class Dread Commando.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-05-29, 03:12 PM
I predict even more people seeking validation for their character choices in this thread. The Internet is not all about you, people.

An old player of mine would always run melee fighter/warrior-types of the amoral bent, always focused on amassing wealth and power and not above cheating their companions (but rarely if ever actually actively harming them - although the player would always plan strategies for "dealing with them"). They did get differentiated by the methods they chose, though. Edit: Also, in any system where it was possible, they'd be trolls/ogres.

Xyk
2008-05-29, 03:18 PM
I don't think I have a huge trend. I will often play similar characters because that is what the party lacks or just because I'm better at those. I do have a few things I will never play. Non-spontaneous casters. It's just too much work for me. I usually play rogues or rangers with an occasional sorcerer sprinkled in. I do have a trend to put intelligence fairly high. I just cannot stand dumb people in RL or RP.

My group get's bored with characters very quick so there is almost no similarities between characters for most of them.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-29, 03:24 PM
Samurai McDualwield, he is obsessed with Dual-Wielding gigantic swords (usually over-sized monkey-gripped bastard swords) and ALWAYS plays a Human fighter, and only ever takes the prestige class Dread Commando.

As far as I get the impression from what you say on these forums, Samuria McDualwield and his buddy the homicidal cleric of Pelor aren't exactly recurring failures of characters, just an almighty amount of fail packed into one or two.

Breaw
2008-05-29, 03:42 PM
I am guilty of a fairly obvious pattern of characters. My last 3 characters have been Assassin, Ranger/Sorc multiclass, Cleric of Kord with some Barbarian levels. While not all quite the definition of a Gish character, they have that taste to them. Not gonna try to rationalize them one way or another, I've had fun :smallbiggrin: (oh damn, that was a rationalization now wasn't it...)

As far as the people I've played with, it's not so much the character choice as the playstyle that I've found to be frustratingly predictable. Had a player whose cleric died and who then rolled a rogue. Different alignment, different race, different motivation, equally confrontational to play with. Seems that this players idea of roll playing is 'create conflict with other players'. Damn larpers... :smalltongue:

RTGoodman
2008-05-29, 03:58 PM
Several of my groups are really bad about this. We've had (and these are all separate people): guy that has to play play either a Human Rogue or a Cleric with the Fire and Trickery domains; guy who has to play a Shifter or Warforged ninja (or ninja/rogue, or ninja/barbarian, or ninja/swordsage, etc., and even if we're in a non-Oriental, non-Eberron game); girl who has to play a Rogue; guy that has to play a Human or Elf Rogue/Assassin; guy who has to be an anime character (I don't know any of them, but his current one is called Guts and others have been confirmed by others to simply be anime copies); and guy who has to play an Elf Archery Ranger. And all but the anime guy and Ranger had to play Chaotic Neutral Stupid so they could steal from the party and party-kill when they wanted.

Now that I've written all that out, it's a wonder I still play D&D after, oh, four or five years of that...

EDIT: And, of course, what makes it worse is that we've never had a game that lasted more than 5 or 6 sessions (and I was usually the DM of those), with most lasting 2 (one of character creation, one of playing), so most of those "repeat offenders" have brought up rehashes of these characters, on average, every 3 sessions or so.

Sanzh
2008-05-29, 04:27 PM
I used to play rogues a lot, but my DM got mad at me for always coming very close to dying (we fight very high CR-monsters).
Now, I always play Warblades. Despite higher hitpoints, I still get dropped down to 3-ish hitpoints every session.

AslanCross
2008-05-29, 04:53 PM
One of my players has ALWAYS been an archer-type Ranger with a "damn race X, they killed my family" background. Even when we played a one-shot Eberron adventure (Hell's Heart), he insisted on playing an archer even if the place lacked open spaces.
In the new group that I hear he's joining, he wants to play the same character type again. @_@

Da King
2008-05-29, 05:05 PM
As far as I get the impression from what you say on these forums, Samuria McDualwield and his buddy the homicidal cleric of Pelor aren't exactly recurring failures of characters, just an almighty amount of fail packed into one or two.

Well, I've only played in this one Campaign with him, but his friends say that he always plays this same character in their campaigns as well, and he has never done anything different.

The_Werebear
2008-05-29, 05:20 PM
We have two in our group, a good one and a bad one.

The good one plays Cloistered Cleric's of widely varying personalities with heavy flails and a penchant for running directly into melee despite their fragileness.

The bad one plays different character classes and races, but always with the same concept. She is always a manipulative sneak who will steal from, lie to, badmouth, and betray the party for her own in and out of character gain. She usually picks NG, CG, TN, or CN for an alignment. (As you can probably guess, a penchant for pissing me off with her shenanigans.)

evisiron
2008-05-29, 06:26 PM
Ah yes, we have an "Elf for every occasion" player who, as you can guess, is always an elf.

The builds can vary a bit, but the personalities are always the same. The Dread Pirate and Paladin of Lolth matched up perfectly. :smalleek:

de-trick
2008-05-29, 06:48 PM
i had a few generic human warrior priest types, and a lot of human in PbP

Chronicled
2008-05-29, 07:04 PM
Been with 3. One guy was the generic Drizzt fanboy/copycat; a girl who was always a CE Drow Duskblade with multiple personalities and a nasty personality; and a fellow who was a Gnome Beguiler who focused only on his Bluff skill and treated it like the Jedi Mind Trick. The latter two were in the same group and (especially the Duskblade) did some pretty nasty munchkining--they didn't know how to powergame or min/max properly, so the rules were pretty flagrantly violated.

Xsjado
2008-05-29, 07:09 PM
Last group had a munchkin ranger 2 weapon build. When he died he didn't even bother writing out a character sheet for his new guy: kept the old one and played with that again. DM let him get away with it because he would die about halfway into every dungeon we went into. It became a sort of game where the DM found as many ways to kill this guy without it getting obvious that he was being targeted.:smallamused:

Best DM I've ever played with, awful group though.

Xefas
2008-05-29, 07:37 PM
I know a that ONE girl. It's not that she always plays the same build, but she always plays the same character and uses the same tactics.

The time this irked me the most was for a game I was running. She'd just finished up playing an elven ranger who focused on archery. She said she wanted something different, so she'd try a scout (at this point none of us had seen a scout played before so despite the thematics it was sufficiently different). Not wanting to be left behind she asked me to help with her build. I explained that a scout could either be a mobile sniper or a charging melee in order to get use out of skirmish. She opted for the melee for variety's sake. I gave her a bunch of appropriate feats and she had a fairly solid character. Over the course of the game though she never once drew a weapon that wasn't her long bow. Then she whined about how I gimped her. I should have sundered the damn bow and done her a favor.

Oh. my. god.

I have a "That ONE Girl" who always played Catfolk Rangers. Then she said she wanted something different and picked out a Catfolk Scout, but asked me for advice on how to build it. I told her she could be either a mobile sniper or a charging melee type. She opted for melee to change things up, and so I built a really good melee Scout with all the best feats I could find, but during the entire run of that character, she never once used any weapon but her longbow. The entire time she was whining that I'd gimped her horribly on purpose.

When I offered to let her swap out feats to emphasize the bow instead, she said I was sexist because I wasn't giving anyone else that option, and that I was "coddling her" because she was a girl even though only a few sessions before I had let a (male) player swap out his Fighter levels for Warblade levels for the same reason (he was feeling weak compared to everyone else).

Solo
2008-05-29, 07:48 PM
Oh. my. god.

I have a "That ONE Girl" who always played Catfolk Rangers. Then she said she wanted something different and picked out a Catfolk Scout, but asked me for advice on how to build it. I told her she could be either a mobile sniper or a charging melee type. She opted for melee to change things up, and so I built a really good melee Scout with all the best feats I could find, but during the entire run of that character, she never once used any weapon but her longbow. The entire time she was whining that I'd gimped her horribly on purpose.

When I offered to let her swap out feats to emphasize the bow instead, she said I was sexist because I wasn't giving anyone else that option, and that I was "coddling her" because she was a girl even though only a few sessions before I had let a (male) player swap out his Fighter levels for Warblade levels for the same reason (he was feeling weak compared to everyone else).

So how does she cope with reality? Not well, I take it?

Just Alex
2008-05-29, 07:51 PM
Given the quote, I'm not exactly certain that "reality" is even in the same zip code as that girl.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-29, 08:00 PM
Possibly by imagining a manless femlae utopia she rules that has tons of monkeys?

And where she is always right and is a genius optimizer? :smalltongue:

SolkaTruesilver
2008-05-29, 11:11 PM
Pattern detected. They're all male! :smallbiggrin: Also seem to be on the charismatic side.

Darn it! you found my secret!!!

Hum..but I think you are wrong. Let's see..

my Druid Cikomyr wasn't charismatic for 2 copper
my sorcerer Solka Truesilver was a lot (we got 1)
my rogue was.. slightly. 12 charisma, does it count? (let's say 1.5)
my dwarf was not charismatic. a mere 10.
my Warlock was very, very charismatic. Wasn't it the point? :smallamused: (2.5)
the Beguiler was slightly charismatic. He used cha-linked skills, but except for that.. he was more an intelligent guy than anything else (3)
the wizard wasn't charismatic either. He had a huge demonic scar trough his face that he inherited from his father/grandfather

Well.. 3 out of 7. I guess I may try to compensate for something? :smallfrown: Actually, I like trying to be the head of the party. It helps me practicing to be quick on my feet (mentally)

I predict even more people seeking validation for their character choices in this thread. The Internet is not all about you, people.

It isn't..? :smallfrown: wh.. why...?

Seffbasilisk
2008-05-29, 11:53 PM
I've ran into a few people who try to run in the same ruts for a while, so with my group there's a houserule in place that you can't fill the same role two characters in a row to allow some variety....even though the (formerly a Rogue) Bard ended up being more Rogue then the Monk/Rogue...

Personally the only consistant with my characters is paranoia, but that stems from a number of excessivly cruel DMs where Paranoia was the only way of survival. I'm actually playing one PC currently who isn't paranoid at all...but did just sit there while a PC was captured, knocked unconscious, and quite possibly tortured, and killed, then asked the other party members "I am unfamiliar with your battle strategy. Is this...normal? Within operation perameters? It seems that a member of this unit has been rendered temporarily nonfunctional, and I wonder as to the wisdom of this."

Xefas
2008-05-30, 12:10 AM
So how does she cope with reality? Not well, I take it?

Nope, not well at all.

My group has horrible luck with female players. This one was the best we've had, actually. The worst kept insisting to have sex with everything. Including the dire animals, the old lady questgiver, and the things without discernible anatomy. It was pretty much impossible to do...anything. Even our resident Belkar came to me afterward and said "That chick makes me really uncomfortable..."

The rest have all been between the two.

Devils_Advocate
2008-05-30, 01:18 AM
Last group had a munchkin ranger 2 weapon build. When he died he didn't even bother writing out a character sheet for his new guy: kept the old one and played with that again. DM let him get away with it because he would die about halfway into every dungeon we went into. It became a sort of game where the DM found as many ways to kill this guy without it getting obvious that he was being targeted.:smallamused:
Oh my God! They killed Kenny! Those bastards! (http://planescapecomic.com/26.html)

TheOOB
2008-05-30, 01:37 AM
I have a player who basically always plays the same thing. He's always the morally ambiguous rogue. Even when his class isn't rogue...he's the rogue.

He really is a good player, the only annoying thing is that in every single game he plays the buissnessman, buying and selling whatever he can, investing in stocks, getting cheep goods to seel before traveling anywhere, buying buissnesses. In a few games this would work, but in most games this is far beyond the scope of what we do.

Farmer42
2008-05-30, 02:09 AM
We have a guy in our regular group who generally plays to type. We gave the player the alignment Lawful Lawful, also known as Lawful [feminine hygiene product container]He character all tend to be extensions of himself. But do not let me come off as being smarmy and superior. I have a few tendencies. I like gish builds, and when I play HERO/Champions/M&M I tend towards tech at the very least, and often do power suit builds.

ghost_warlock
2008-05-30, 02:14 AM
Hmmm...looking back, I think pretty much all of my characters could fit into one or more of these archetypes:

1) Insane ("These hellhound tongues sure are delicious raw! Still, could use a bit more brimstone to bring out the flavor of the meat." "I was born the poor son of a gnollish prostituted and a plate of spaghetti. Life was tough, growing up on the orange vineyard, but we made due with oars. It's the dwarven way, after all!" "Beholders? Dere's good eatin' on dem.")
2) Power-mad/vengeful ("Once we've earned their trust, we'll make these Brelanders pay for what they did to Cyre." I'm lumping these two together because usually the characters are obsessed with obtaining power so that they can have revenge for past injuries)
3) Paladin-in-Sheep's-clothing (played like a paladin, even though the character was a wizard, ranger, psion, fighter, or whatever)
4) Working for redemption (whether or not the character was aware of this)

Solo
2008-05-30, 02:35 AM
Nope, not well at all.

My group has horrible luck with female players. This one was the best we've had, actually. The worst kept insisting to have sex with everything. Including the dire animals, the old lady questgiver, and the things without discernible anatomy. It was pretty much impossible to do...anything. Even our resident Belkar came to me afterward and said "That chick makes me really uncomfortable..."

The rest have all been between the two.

Her character should have died from dire animal related internal injuries.

jcsw
2008-05-30, 05:22 AM
This one guy I know always played the loud and brash tanker, the kind that gets the party into trouble

1st Game - Barbarian, so it wasn't too weird.
2nd Game - Dwarven Defender, Ran into a visible force field, while shouting, giving away our (planned) ambush, claimed his character was chaotic for the "small things" but was really lawful on the inside. Ri-ght.
3rd Game - Blackguard, Shouted death threats to shopkeepers, in the middle of the commerical district.

Solo
2008-05-30, 05:24 AM
This one guy I know always played the loud and brash tanker, the kind that gets the party into trouble

1st Game - Barbarian, so it wasn't too weird.
2nd Game - Dwarven Defender, Ran into a visible force field, while shouting, giving away our (planned) ambush, claimed his character was chaotic for the "small things" but was really lawful on the inside. Ri-ght.
3rd Game - Blackguard, Shouted death threats to shopkeepers, in the middle of the commerical district.

Your problems can be solved with a standard "Ozymandias" pattern sorcerer, specializing in stabbing his team mates in the face.

Grynning
2008-05-30, 05:57 AM
I have a buddy who was a martial artist and professional trainer by trade, and almost every single one of his characters was a kung fu badass - Ninja, Psionic Warrior, Swordsage, or some combination of the above. He wasn't bad, but we used to give him a lot of crap and called all of his characters by the name of his first one. Finally he broke down and played a healing focused Favored Soul for a few sessions.

I play a variety of characters, but I am guilty of bad RP'ing in a different way - I always think like myself, and use a lot of meta-game knowledge to solve problems. It's so hard to stay in character when my character would be doing something retarded.

Oh, and Solo, I see you mentioning your "Ozymandias" sorcerer a lot. While I'm not sure whether you're referencing Alan Moore or Percy Shelly, if it's the former, Veidt was a factotum. A weird lawful evil factotum.

leperkhaun
2008-05-30, 05:59 AM
I dont really have a pattern. Iv played everything from fighter to wizard, from monk to planar shepard.

Since iv been playing DnD signifigantly longer than others in my group besides the DM, i tend to play whatever would fill out the party the best.

So if the party is lacking a skill monkey, ill be one, if they lack magical support ill play that

however, I tend to like paladin and wizards.

Solo
2008-05-30, 06:05 AM
Oh, and Solo, I see you mentioning your "Ozymandias" sorcerer a lot. While I'm not sure whether you're referencing Alan Moore or Percy Shelly, if it's the former, Veidt was a factotum. A weird lawful evil factotum.

And Batman was an artificer or rogue.

So what, would you prefer I call him "Evilwizardinton"?

Scintillatus
2008-05-30, 06:09 AM
Dr. Stephen Vincent Strange is the Sorcerer Supreme of the Marvel Universe, responsible for defending it from mystic threats. He is a master of the mystic arts, using his abilities to battle evil magicians and other supernatural villains. He is also often consulted by other superheroes on supernatural matters.

Dr. Strange!

Grynning
2008-05-30, 06:11 AM
Hey, one of my very good friends is named "Evilwizardinton!"

And seriously, Ozymandias is also the name of my cat, so I tend to notice the name. I only brought it up because I was just thinking about how fun it would be to stat out Adrian Veidt the Factotum. Unfortunately I don't have Dungeonscape :smallfrown:

(edit: removed, forgot which thread I was on)

SmartAlec
2008-05-30, 06:11 AM
Had a friend who played as a samurai. In everything. Refused to budge. No matter the setting, he would demand the mysterious traveller aestetic, laquered wooden armour, the curved exotic sword and the code of Bushido be open to him. Even when we moved to sci-fi.

The samurai got shot. A lot. Cue temper tantrum and quitting the group.

As solutions go it was a bit extreme, but it worked.

Xsjado
2008-05-30, 06:12 AM
I dont really have a pattern. Iv played everything from fighter to wizard, from monk to planar shepard.

Since iv been playing DnD signifigantly longer than others in my group besides the DM, i tend to play whatever would fill out the party the best.

So if the party is lacking a skill monkey, ill be one, if they lack magical support ill play that

however, I tend to like paladin and wizards.

I seem to end up in a similar pattern. Every time I've tried out a new RPG I usually get stuck being the healer, which I don't mind too much (my favourite DnD character is a Dwarf Cleric) but it gets old after a while. Especially if I've had a really good character concept and can't use it just because everyone else already picked the really interesting roles.

Samakain
2008-05-30, 06:17 AM
*stands up from the circle of chairs*

My name is Samakain

And i have a problem

I am a gish whore

Generally i play what we are missing, at the moment i'm running a rouge/sword sage for a bit of skill-monkeying and combat support. Would have been pure skill monkey but there only a 3 man team.

But i've played a dwarf war priest when we where needing a healer, a War blade/Fighter Mr.Tank Guy when we where needing a tank - although in confession that guy was a Link parody called Joint. But when we need some artillery or other direct damaging class, despite the range of options, i always go for a gish-type, an arcane trickster, jade phoenix mage, edlritch knight, arcane archer.

But now thats all explored, or at least explored enough before my group gimps me, i think i might start whoring divine magic/fighters now :P.

*edit*
Oh and halflings, 50% of my characters? all halflings
*edit*

Elixia
2008-05-30, 06:28 AM

- Male Avariel Druid
- Male Human Rogue
- Male Elf Beguiler
- Male Grey Elf Wizard

Hmm theyre all male .......... ;)

GolemsVoice
2008-05-30, 06:30 AM
I tend to play religious types, and I tend to play them over-the-top, often comicaly, almost always full of zeal and righteousness. I also try, but often fail, to stop me from doing that.

It doesn't matter if the deity in question is Praios (his church is build after the catholic church, with al it's advantages and negative aspects) from DSA (The Black Eye), Sigmar, A DnD deity or the christian god. I had them all.

By the way: BURN, WITCHES!

Tengu
2008-05-30, 06:35 AM
I imagined this thread being about this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheOneGuy) trope - because we currently have it in our Exalted group. 3 female PCs, 2 female NPCs, only one male PC and one very, very unimportant male NPC who's not even Exalted.

My brother tends to play paladins no matter what the game.
I personally almost always play characters who combine magic and physical prowess. I also tend to play confident types, and almost all my male characters are actually more competent and intelligent than they seem to be at a first glance. I also play good-aligned characters, practically exclusively.

I think I like Trigun a bit too much.

black dragoon
2008-05-30, 06:40 AM
Yeah, we have this one guy who ALWAYS PLAYS a

Egotistical jacka** who Min/maxs to kill a dragon of moderate power with a swing of his oversized sword starts fights with PCs and NPCs alike. That and constatntly stealing from other PCs/NPCs even though he supposedly has some form of 'honor code' and is normally evil in a good aligned party

Solo
2008-05-30, 06:41 AM
Yeah, we have this one guy who ALWAYS PLAYS a

Egotistical jacka** who Min/maxs to kill a dragon of moderate power with a swing of his oversized sword starts fights with PCs and NPCs alike. That and constatntly stealing from other PCs/NPCs even though he supposedly has some form of 'honor code' and is normally evil in a good aligned party
Seriously, why is there a lack of stabbity death for these characters?

Tengu
2008-05-30, 06:47 AM
Seriously, why is there a lack of stabbity death for these characters?

Seriously, why is there a lack of stabbity death for this player?

Anterean
2008-05-30, 06:54 AM
*Stands up from chair*

My name is Anterean.
I AM that one guy
I canīt help it but 75% I end up with a human male paladin
and often with a cavalery build.

*hangs head in shame*

Solo
2008-05-30, 07:00 AM
Seriously, why is there a lack of stabbity death for this player?

Character

Main Entry:
1char·ac·ter Listen to the pronunciation of 1character
Pronunciation:
\ˈker-ik-tər, ˈka-rik-\
Function:
noun

1 a: a conventionalized graphic device placed on an object as an indication of ownership, origin, or relationship b: a graphic symbol (as a hieroglyph or alphabet letter) used in writing or printing c: a magical or astrological emblem d: alphabet e (1): writing, printing (2): style of writing or printing (3): cipher f: a symbol (as a letter or number) that represents information
one of the persons of a drama or novel c: the personality or part which an actor recreates <an actress who can create a character convincingly> d: characterization especially in drama or fiction e: person, individual <a suspicious character>8: a short literary sketch of the qualities of a social type

You see, I have covered all the bases with my statement :smalltongue:

happyturtle
2008-05-30, 07:17 AM
I just caught myself. I've been playing teenage girls in all my games, although they all have different personalities. I have no idea why, as I feel no particular nostalgia for my own adolescence.

I'm considering changing my newest character into a crone druidess, just to try something different. Eventually I suppose I'll get around to playing a male character, but I haven't yet thought of a concept that appeals to me.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-05-30, 07:30 AM
Hmm theyre all male .......... ;)

You will have to use unnecessary surgery on some of my body parts if you ever want me to play a female character.

I just can't do it. I find it so silly. I guess it comes from the time I saw a (teenage) guy playing a female character, and she was a sex addict. I found it so immature, I guess I'll be scared for life.

(exception: playing misogyn guy who have been turned into a woman with a Girdle of Sex Change to be punished for his view. That would be awesome roleplay. But again, I wouldn't be a true female, right?)

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-30, 07:32 AM
Meh, playing a character of the opposite sex just because is really silly. Gender should only be of importance if it is a defining factor of the backstory. Else, it's just inconsequential.

black dragoon
2008-05-30, 07:57 AM
Yeah, I remember that we had another guy who left our group awhile back Not suprisingly related to the other guy. that always played either a female character, some form of wolf loving....er....something or other at one point he was half wolf 'spirit' I really don't how or why I had just started playing and really did'nt want to get thrown out on my arse. That or a really enfemiante guy.
As for the other guy he actually could be a really nice guy it's just that he loved playing (or trying to anyways) the role of magnificent Bastard for the group noramlly failing though. Either our groups sorted things out and we all get along pretty well now.

god we sound like a dysfunctional family on crack...:smallsigh:

Calemyr
2008-05-30, 10:23 AM
I'm somewhat guilty of this one, myself. I played an artificer in one campaign until the DM moved back home just as I was getting used to the new class. When a new campaign started up a few months later, I pretty much remade the same character under the new DM's house rules.

Other than that, I know I tend to prefer characters that favor brains over brawn, such as rogues, bards, rangers, and even fighters and wizards on occassion. I even once wrote up a paladin of the Red Knight (a manipulative, deceptive, strategist who would certainly be fallen if he followed any other god), but never got a chance to play it. Probably a good thing, really...

Starbuck_II
2008-05-30, 10:30 AM
I thought this was a discussion about that game character in, " I Wanna Be The Guy".

I perfer to play high Int low Wis characters as average Int characters. Not getting common sense , etc.
Like real life.

black dragoon
2008-05-30, 10:37 AM
Haha, absent minded proffs! :smallsmile:
Yeah sorry about that minor rant:smallredface:

sombrastewart
2008-05-30, 11:14 AM
I'm probably pretty guilty of this myself. In 3.5, it's one of two things usually: rogue or warblade. Warblades are my favorite 'devoted warrior' type, and in general, I like having a character will skills useful out of combat. I gravitate towards rogues for that reason. I know there are other classes for it, but I just don't want to dredge up an obscure (to our group) class.

The 'use out of combat' thing is something I end up carrying in about every RPG I play.

xPANCAKEx
2008-05-30, 12:13 PM
justice seems to have been my recent theme (cleric of st cuthbert, and i just submitted a paladin farmer... dont ask)

but i like the juxtaposition to my previous trend of mass roguery, both in class sense of personality

Burley
2008-05-30, 12:14 PM
I have two, almost 3.

One is my groups only female player. She's been a friend for a long time, but is one of my all around problem players. In EVERY campaign that I've seen her in, she has an 18 charisma. She picks races that will bump her charisma, usually to 20 or 22. She always plays a spontaneous caster (and always picks the same spells, which are almost always evocation). Her character concepts usually involve wanting to be a chef, or collection clothing/jewelry. Also, her character concepts, when written out, are 80% a description of how "hot" her character is. (I never, ever let her use her looks in my campaigns, though. Usually making the men she talks to homosexual, just to spite her. I am not letting her play a prostitute in MY world.)

The second is my best friend. He usually has good characters, but he always plays either a meat-shield or a druid. He'll meat-up a ranger with duel wield nonsense and end up having a low AC or something. Or, he'll build a druid that specialized in sniping from trees. By the time he made it into a tree and could get a shot, the fights were over (or he'd just decide not to waste an arrow).

The third is our new guy, who came from a group that is more about making fantasy super fantastic than using rules to make things fair. He came in saying that for his character he wanted to play a half-dragon, because he had played a few before and liked them. I was like...No. Turns out that the only reason he wanted that was because Races of the Dragon and Draconomicon were the only books he had.

black dragoon
2008-05-30, 12:24 PM
Yeah, we've got a Charisma fan in our group but he's such a roleplayer and normally makes negotiations and bluffing his area of expertise we let it slide.

SoD
2008-05-30, 01:17 PM
Well, we've got one guy who, no matter what, has at least one 18 in an ability score. At least. We roll for stats, in our own homes usually, and I'm not counting racial ability modifiers.