PDA

View Full Version : Self-Betterment in the Playground

Zakama
2008-05-29, 04:12 PM
Do you have some bad habits or health problems you'd like to drop? I know most people do, and that's why I made this thread. Post here what you'd like to accomplish, and we'll be here to support you. You'll also have a good reason to do (or stop doing) whatever it is, cause you'll have to tell us. :smallwink:

I, for one, am shooting for being in bed by 3:00. I've been staying up waaay to late.

Da King
2008-05-29, 05:02 PM
I'd like to find a way to do something about my insomnia.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-29, 05:10 PM
I wish I'd stop being better than everyone.

-and possibly work on my ego, just a little.

Zephra
2008-05-29, 05:17 PM
in bed by 3:00?? wow. I've been setting my limit at 11:00....
I've got to work on doing something this summer, so I don't just lie around all day.

Zakama
2008-05-29, 05:26 PM
in bed by 3:00?? wow. I've been setting my limit at 11:00....
I've got to work on doing something this summer, so I don't just lie around all day.

Yes. I'll just say this: It's pretty trippy going to bed when the sun is up. Okay, I almost never do that. But I did last night >_>

Jae
2008-05-29, 05:40 PM
hmm there arent any really bad habits I want to quit, but Ive got a few things Id like to improve on.

School I could definitely afford to take more seriously. but since its almost over, we'll see how that goes.

More volunteer work. I know Ive always aimed for four a week, which ive been failing to do very recently, but maybe i should make it six. In addition to this, I think Ill start sending out some business-like letters for donations and such for my club. When this is figured out, Ill go about doing all that guest speaker research. And on top of both of these, I think I will go out of my way more in general to do at least one nice thing for somebody everyday.

I think Im also going to take photo more seriously. Im still not convinced im any good, but i cant just not do it. And it clears my head. Theres something genuinely amazing about seeing something a certain way and being able to portray it. It's like idk. other people can see into your head and its amazing. And, recently, people have asked me to do photos FOR them. People have even went as far to say that when they get their senior photos done, they'd like me to do them. Over a PROFFESIONAL? im like whaaat? but its a good feeling. And Im going to take it more seriously. Get out on more internships and shoots asnd stuff.

and im very excited about all these plans. haha it sounds corny but im really excited about my life in general right now :smallamused:haha that really does sound so lame!! But I am. I love the thoughts the conversations the friends. i just think i took way too much for granted, and i intend to stop. :smallsmile: and i dont care if its corny! life is amazing! :smallbiggrin:

SMEE
2008-05-29, 05:41 PM
I want to stop biting my nails.

2 days without doing that. My record was 23 days. I must beat it this time!

Copacetic
2008-05-29, 05:43 PM

We'll just smack you with a rolled up news paper every time you do it. You'll either develop a phobia of The Times or quit. :smallbiggrin:

Zephra
2008-05-29, 05:55 PM
dip your nails in vinegar, or something. they'll taste horrible.

Ranna
2008-05-29, 06:02 PM
My bad habit is apparently is worrying that I have bad habits

Though I would love some person to just spend time with me an analyze me and tell me what is wrong and how I can fix them... I would actually pay for someone to do that. *Obsesses over bad habits more...*

Mordokai
2008-05-29, 06:06 PM
Getting payed for spending time with beautiful girl? Where do I sign up?

As for me, being less lazy. That's pretty much all.

OwlbearUltimate
2008-05-29, 06:49 PM
Hmmm, sleep earlier and study more for tests. I also need to stop procrastinating on homework (And that includes posting on this forum! I have an essay I am supposed to be editting right now!)

Recaiden
2008-05-29, 06:56 PM
dip your nails in vinegar, or something. they'll taste horrible.
But vinegar is delicious.:smallbiggrin:
I really should stop putting things off until the last minute, like the homework I should be doing.

Amotis
2008-05-29, 07:01 PM
"People say friends don't destroy one another.
What do they know about friends?" (http://youtube.com/watch?v=LMmll92na5o)

Jack Squat
2008-05-29, 08:05 PM
I'd like to improve my posture...not really a way I can think of to track it on here, maybe once I start devoting time to wii fit's yoga and balance things.

I'd also like to start working out some every day (even if it is just some push-ups and sit-ups). I suppose this would be easier to track, but I'm not going to get my hopes up about keeping this one up.

BizzaroStormy
2008-05-29, 08:10 PM
I'd like to lose my gut. Problem is I find excercise greatly boring unlees it swimming which I can't really do unless I can find a machine that magically spits out $10 bills and makes the weather warmer.

Finding a girl that would actually hang out with me would do great for my low self-esteem but sadly I can find no one. I'm just hoping I dont lose it in my senior year of HS after coming this far and already going thru a mental breakdown.

I would also like to improve my typing...

Bitzeralisis
2008-05-29, 08:30 PM
I need to get less lazy and less arrogant. They both work to worsen the other. I can pass while being lazy, which increases my arrogance, and my arrogance tells me that I can pass while being lazy, which increases my laziness. Stupid, it is.

Felixaar
2008-05-29, 08:36 PM
Me? I'm the greatest already. Though I could lose some weight... nah.

Collin152
2008-05-29, 08:37 PM
I have a habit I'd like to break.
I need all the fructose I take in, can't go expending it.

I should take up biting my nails, though. They grow so fast, if I don't, they dig into my palms when I restrain myself from doing things incredibly stupid.

I vow on these forums, furthermore, that I will start excercising regularly.
Hopefully that won't make me lose weight, though. I nearly broke 100... in reverse. Just about 4 more pounds and I'm back to double digit figures. Sure, I'm kinda small, so that's fine...ish....

Oh! I need to break my habit of not eating breakfast or lunch. I need those meals desperatley.

Ego Slayer
2008-05-29, 09:23 PM
-and possibly work on my ego, just a little.
I charge by the hour. :smallbiggrin:

Self-betterment, huh? I've tired that... still haven't succeeded in much. Too much stuff needs better-ing. :smallsigh:

Blayze
2008-05-30, 03:36 AM
I need to be louder and more assertive. I've taken to saying "I am awesome! I am great! I am powerful!" to myself in mornings. I'm trying to build up to shouting it.

Freshmeat
2008-05-30, 03:45 AM
Procastrinating less.
Taking important matters more seriously.
Taking unimportant matters less seriously.

ghost_warlock
2008-05-30, 04:02 AM

I used to bite my nails, too. This was my tactic for stopping, a long-term strategy:

I realized that, when biting my nails, it was more satisfying the longer the nail was at the time - more to chew on and/or hide in my brother's shampoo (or whatnot) after I was done. So I started putting off chewing them when they were short so I would have more to savor when I did chew them. Slowly, I started putting off biting them longer and longer until I had pretty much just lost interest in chewing them because the mechanical addiction to chewing them was over.

That, and I really hated the way dirt and sand crunched on my teeth when I had those things under my nails when I chewed them. "Gah!" >blech< :smallyuk:

Arioch
2008-05-30, 05:16 AM
I need to get rid of my spheksophobia. Seriously! It's hard to get around in the summer when you can't (to give just one example) go near a rubbish bin because there are wasps near it.

Also...lose weight, be less condescending (I don't mean to be, but apparently I sound like I am) and, currently, do more GCSE revision than I am.

Zakama
2008-05-30, 11:15 AM
Well... I barely got to bed on time last night, and then I forgot to turn off the lights downstairs, so I had to get up to do that. But hey, it's something. I have to get up early tomorrow so tonight I'm shooting for 11:00. Have you guys started doing anything?

B-Man
2008-05-30, 11:20 AM
Habits that I should try to break. Hmm. This is a toughie...

Probably should stop hitting the snooze button for an hour and a half every morning. I probably should stop drinking so much coffee in one day (I was at 1.5 litres yesterday). Should probably also try to go to bed before 01:00. Should probably try to stop eating breakfast at Tim Hortons. I probably could benefit from not fidgeting when I take a call at work (people have asked if I have ADHD, but it's just nervousness).

There's probably a dozen other things I should try to stop in order for self-betterment, but I think that that covers most of it.

Player_Zero
2008-05-30, 11:28 AM
Well, I hope you meet those aliens your looking for, who can give you a body, and you become an officer and you get a sex life, and all the other millions of things you feel you need to make you happy.

I want to revise more, and become more intelligent, and excerise more, and become a nicer person, and meet some friends, and help other people, and save everyone, and become more confident, and achieve something with my life, and love and be loved in return, and see everything, and meet everyone, and feel good about myself, and never have to do anything I didn't want to, and invent something really cool, and live in my fantasy land forever, and be the best, and not be most everything that I currently am.

I realise that this is just a list of my hopes, and I have no chance of accomplishing them, but still...

Someday I'll have everything, even a pretty girl like you. I'm just waiting for now... Someday, somehow...

Arioch
2008-05-30, 01:02 PM
Habits that I should try to break. Hmm. This is a toughie...

Probably should stop hitting the snooze button for an hour and a half every morning. I probably should stop drinking so much coffee in one day (I was at 1.5 litres yesterday). Should probably also try to go to bed before 01:00. Should probably try to stop eating breakfast at Tim Hortons. I probably could benefit from not fidgeting when I take a call at work (people have asked if I have ADHD, but it's just nervousness).

A very effective I discovered earlier this year is to put the alarm clock well out of arm's reach. That way, you have to actually get up to turn it off, waking yourself up more in the process. Plus, once you're up, it's easier to make yourself get on with things, rather than just going back to bed.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-30, 01:13 PM
Not being so extremely lazy and holding things out to last moment.
It would vastly improve stuff. Though I've tried for a few years but could never do it for more then a few days or if I wasn't allowed to go to a event if I didn't have it all done. Or stuff like that.

Collin152
2008-05-30, 01:40 PM
A very effective I discovered earlier this year is to put the alarm clock well out of arm's reach. That way, you have to actually get up to turn it off, waking yourself up more in the process. Plus, once you're up, it's easier to make yourself get on with things, rather than just going back to bed.

It works. I only sleep in an hour instead of six of them.

Trog
2008-05-30, 01:51 PM
Self betterment is a good goal. Spring always seems to be the time people actually get serious about these sort of things. New Year's resolutions need to be bumped back.

Currently I am working a few things:
- Getting more pay for work. It's dependent on others being willing to pay me more, of course, but I am actively pursuing it instead of just sitting back and wishing.

- Keeping up on household chores more. Been doing better at this. Not every day is a gem but I'm doing a lot better than I once was, generally. Still a lot of improvement to be had, but generally the new place is looking better than the old one.

- Keeping my word. Now it's not as though I intend to deceive anyone or anything. I just say I am going to do something and, all too often, I forget. So I've been trying to be better about that. Other things I will not want to do but I say I will. And then I don't. So I'm better off just saying no in the first place. Or at least being more direct about it, whatever the decision. So if I agree to do something I usually try to do it right then and there so there isn't time to forget. All too often I procrastinate and then I forget. It's a bad habit that needs breaking and should save me a lot of guilt I heap on myself.

- Spending better father son time with my kids. This one is hard, actually. :smalleek: My sons show up and all they want to do is hop on the computer or play a video game ( a couple of their favorite things because... well... they are boys. And boys who take after their dad, at that ), or go and play with neighbor friends. So I am trying my best to do more stuff with them. They grow up so fast. :smallfrown:

- My anger. Or... well... my temper, rather. I'm not, like, frothingly angry underneath all the time. But when I do get upset I go from :smallsmile: to :smallfurious: rather than the more usual progression of :smallsmile: :smallamused: :smallannoyed: :smallmad: :smallfurious:

Collin152
2008-05-30, 01:58 PM
- My anger. Or... well... my temper, rather. I'm not, like, frothingly angry underneath all the time. But when I do get upset I go from :smallsmile: to :smallfurious: rather than the more usual progression of :smallsmile: :smallamused: :smallannoyed: :smallmad: :smallfurious:

Naa, that's just fine.
Me too.
I wouldn't be surprised if my eyes go red with slit pupils even. My emotions go like this:
Peaceful -> Angry -> Bloodthirsty Frenzy
I think my nails and teeth actually get longer when I'm in a frenzy. My hair stands on end, that's certain.
Hmmm...

Self betterment goal: Aqquire massive quantities of wolfsbane.

Zakama
2008-05-30, 11:17 PM
Time: 11:31 PM.

>_>

Haruki-kun
2008-05-30, 11:31 PM
I want to not be so lazy.

I want to actually care about a lot of things I should care about.

I want to be able to tell people things to their face instead of keeping them to myself.

I want to be able to think things through and consider the consequences of my decisions... :smallfrown:

Hoggy
2008-05-31, 09:19 AM
For those that don't browse the Depression thread, I wish to win my own personal war on illegal substances. It is a very protracted war though, and the end is not within sight yet. :smallsigh:

B-Man
2008-05-31, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the idea. I have tried it in the past with very little success. I would just sleep through the alarm if it was out of arms reach. There really isn't a happy medium for me. :smalleek: