PDA

View Full Version : Casting spells through walls

throtecutter
2008-05-29, 06:52 PM
So, I was thinking, which can never be good.

Could a wizard x/ Arcane Archer 2 cast spells through walls if he used a way to see through walls , like a ring of X-ray vision, then casted Brilliant Blade (Complete Arcane) on his arrows, then used his imbue arrow ability.

Brilliant blade is like brilliant energy for 1 round per caster level, but doesn't bypass shield AC, or say that it only changes part of arrows.

BRC
2008-05-29, 06:54 PM
I don't see why not, except that it would require going into arcane archer, but I don't see a reason it couldn't work.

Aquillion
2008-05-29, 08:27 PM
By RAW, I think no.

Even if you can make your arrows into brilliant energy weapons:

Total Cover

If you don’t have line of effect to your target he is considered to have total cover from you. You can’t make an attack against a target that has total cover.Notice "line of effect" (not "line of sight"), so seeing through the wall doesn't help.

And although you might expect Brilliant Energy weapons to negate cover, the rules don't say that they do.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to convince a DM to allow it... except that it could get real broken real fast.

Worira
2008-05-29, 08:32 PM
Except that walls don't block line of effect for brilliant energy weapons, therefore they don't provide cover.

Curmudgeon
2008-05-29, 08:55 PM
No, this doesn't work, because you didn't read the DMG thoroughly enough.
Brilliant Energy: A brilliant energy weapon has its significant portion -- such as its blade, axe head, or arrowhead -- transformed into light, although this does not modify the item’s weight. It always gives off light as a torch (20-foot radius). A brilliant energy weapon ignores nonliving matter. ... A brilliant energy weapon cannot harm undead, constructs, and objects. This property can only be applied to melee weapons, thrown weapons, and ammunition. Only the head of the arrow passes through the wall without interaction. As soon as the shaft contacts the wall, the arrow stops.

Worira
2008-05-29, 09:01 PM
And you didn't read his post thoroughly enough.

Brilliant blade is like brilliant energy for 1 round per caster level, but doesn't bypass shield AC, or say that it only changes part of arrows.

Curmudgeon
2008-05-29, 09:19 PM
And you didn't read his post thoroughly enough. I read it. However, the correct version of Brilliant Blade is the updated one in Spell Compendium, and explictly refers to DMG page 224 for all the properties of brilliant energy. They've long since plugged the loophole that throtecutter is trying to exploit.

purepolarpanzer
2008-05-29, 10:44 PM
I read it. However, the correct version of Brilliant Blade is the updated one in Spell Compendium, and explictly refers to DMG page 224 for all the properties of brilliant energy. They've long since plugged the loophole that throtecutter is trying to exploit.

Oh snap. Point.

Mewtarthio
2008-05-29, 10:53 PM
Well, if you reverse-engineer the Burrowing Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#burrowingPower) feat, you could make a "Burrowing Spell" feat (+2 to spell level) to just cast spells through walls without going through that whole Arcane Archer nonsense.

monty
2008-05-29, 11:02 PM
Well, if you reverse-engineer the Burrowing Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#burrowingPower) feat, you could make a "Burrowing Spell" feat (+2 to spell level) to just cast spells through walls without going through that whole Arcane Archer nonsense.

And then you wouldn't have to take Arcane Archer levels! Brilliant!

Jack_Simth
2008-05-29, 11:08 PM
And then you wouldn't have to take Arcane Archer levels! Brilliant!
Yes, but you're making a reasonably high spellcraft check to do so ... and Rings of X-Ray vision deal Con damage if you use them too much.

Incidentally, ghost casters (or manifesters, even, if you don't want to use house-rules on it) with Rings of X-Ray vision get really nasty if you do that.