PDA

View Full Version : Aliens RPG

ArlEammon
2008-05-29, 08:54 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/alienrpg/news.html?sid=6187270&om_act=convert&om_clk=gsupdates&tag=updates;title;1

Ripley, where's my +6 Machine Gun of Flame?

SurlySeraph
2008-05-29, 09:23 PM
Cool. There are many, many ways they could screw this up, but it could also turn out awesome. As long as Vasquez makes an appearance, I'm happy.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-05-29, 10:02 PM
1) Wrong section
2) Doublethread
3) Awesome!

TheThan
2008-05-30, 12:31 AM
Hah!

And I’m working on an aliens vs predator D20 modern game.

Bryn
2008-05-30, 07:33 AM
This could be good, but I'm not sure why they're choosing to make an RPG of all things - Aliens seems to have very little in common with the typical RPG, in which characters slaughter their way through enemy after enemy (as opposed to running the hell away and then dying horribly despite every effort, even if they do shoot some of the xenomorphs), lots of talking (which only really happened at the beginning of the film to set up the suspense, horror and also action that was to follow), and most importantly relatively little sense of fear, suspense and urgency. In short, I have my doubts.

They're also making an FPS, Aliens: Colonial Marines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens:_Colonial_Marines), which seems to have the fantastic look of the films down in the screenshots, but could also go horribly, horribly wrong. Alien: Resurrection has showed how much potential the series has for disaster.

If either game can do the film justice, though, then it is going to be amazing.

Winterwind
2008-05-30, 08:02 AM
This could be good, but I'm not sure why they're choosing to make an RPG of all things - Aliens seems to have very little in common with the typical RPG, in which characters slaughter their way through enemy after enemy (as opposed to running the hell away and then dying horribly despite every effort, even if they do shoot some of the xenomorphs), lots of talking (which only really happened at the beginning of the film to set up the suspense, horror and also action that was to follow), and most importantly relatively little sense of fear, suspense and urgency. In short, I have my doubts.You never played the Call of Cthulhu RPG, I take it. :smallamused:
Seriously, futility of violence, horror, fear, suspense and urgency are fairly wide-spread in roleplaying games - I was going to say "aside of D&D", which, from what I hear, seems to be geared towards a combat heavy heroic style, but I'm sure even there a DM wishing to do so could evoke all of that (I agree with the part about talking though).

I'd assume it's going to play like grim and gritty cyberpunk most of the time anyway, since the majority of available antagonists are human (the Corporation, the military, criminals, androids), and the gamemaster will probably not want to overuse the aliens, since they would quickly lose their inherent terror sooner or later.

Ugh, that's what I get for not following the OP's link and interpreting Nerd-o-rama's "wrong section" post as indicative of this being about a forthcoming tabletop RPG based on Aliens. Nevermind. :smallredface:

Bryn
2008-05-30, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I know that horror is perfectly possible on a tabletop. Indeed, I try to emulate it myself in DnD - if my players aren't running away, I'm doing it wrong :smallbiggrin: Since I watched the film, I've also been heavily ripping off Aliens (http://z13.invisionfree.com/40K_Online/index.php?showtopic=645). An Aliens tabletop RPG would be absolutely delicious.

Unfortunately, that's a lot harder on a PC/console RPG. Since fights go a lot quicker than on a tabletop, there are more of them, which makes the characters seem a lot tougher than the monsters due to the repeated victories, which isn't compatible with Aliens. But, with any luck, they'll pull it off. If not, it will just be one more bit of DisContinuity. :smallbiggrin:

Winterwind
2008-05-30, 08:33 AM
I could imagine something in the X-Com: Ufo Defense / Ufo: Enemy Unknown vein - terrifyingly powerful opponents who will cause severe losses if attacked straight on, but can be taken out much more safely with proper tactics and cooperation between the squad members.

Or just have many NPCs to draw fire away from the PCs... :smallamused:

SmartAlec
2008-05-30, 08:51 AM
Funnily enough, I'm playing in an X-Com-based Neverwinter Nights campaign at the moment. Seems to work just fine.

Brauron
2008-05-30, 08:52 AM
I've run an Aliens RPG session using Call of Cthulhu rules. It worked beautifully.

TheThan
2008-05-30, 02:31 PM
Alien: Resurrection has showed how much potential the series has for disaster.

If either game can do the film justice, though, then it is going to be amazing.

What is this Alien: Resurrection you speak of?

:smallamused:

Bryn
2008-05-30, 02:44 PM
What is this Alien: Resurrection you speak of?

:smallamused:

Oh, good catch. I'm clearly losing my mind. After all, there were only three* films :smallbiggrin:

*two if you have especially high standards.

Prustan
2008-06-02, 08:13 AM
Aliens RPG... Has potential, in fact has a lot of potential, but so many ways that it could be screwed up beyond belief. FPS or Survival Horror fits a lot better, but if they can get it right it'll be awesome.