PDA

View Full Version : 4e First Build

JaxGaret
2008-05-29, 11:25 PM
I built a 5th-level Minotaur Fighter to run through KotS. Bait played the character, and he also built and ran a 5th-level Eladrin Fey Pact Warlock that multiclassed into Wizard, so it was two 5th level PCs instead of 5 1st level PCs. I DMed the session. We weren't too sure about what level to make them, and weren't too worried about it either.

Here is the gist of the Fighter build:

Str 18 Con 18 Dex 10 Int 14 Wis 14 Cha 8

Feats: Potent Challenge, Toughness, Weapon Focus

Minotaur's Oversized racial feature + Maul = 2d8 weapon damage. Crushing Blow as an Encounter power is dealing 4d8+8 damage.

Boundless Endurance seems really, really nice to have. Rain of Steel is deadly to Minions.

It's just a very basic quick thrown-together meatshield Fighter build, but it's deadly and fun. The Eladrin Warlock was very hard to get a bead on with its extra movement capabilities, and garnering a Wizard Encounter AoE power (or what have you) is great for the Warlocks' versatility.

All in all, it was lots of fun.

Yakk
2008-05-30, 03:09 PM
Hmm. It appears that the budget for 5 1st level characters is 500.

The budget for 2 5th level characters is 400.

So the XP budget was pretty close. Nearly all of the encounters would have been "too low level" individually I suspect.

AKA_Bait
2008-05-30, 03:15 PM
Hmm. It appears that the budget for 5 1st level characters is 500.

The budget for 2 5th level characters is 400.

So the XP budget was pretty close. Nearly all of the encounters would have been "too low level" individually I suspect.

Truthfully, it worked out pretty well. Most of the PC's encounter powers got used and it probably would have been more dangerous for the second character had it not been for the Warlock's Misty Step ability to put himself up in the trees from which he cound snipe at the Kobolds without getting swarmed.

Scintillatus
2008-05-30, 03:19 PM
Awesome, you enjoyed it? I'm pretty stoked for the two games I'll be in soon.

AKA_Bait
2008-05-30, 03:22 PM
Awesome, you enjoyed it? I'm pretty stoked for the two games I'll be in soon.

Yeah, although we really just ran it for the one encounter. RP was non-existant. So, as a combat system, at 5th level, the first time I played it, it was fun.

Scintillatus
2008-05-30, 03:24 PM
Well, that's a whole lot of qualifying. Make a PBP then! :smallamused:

Yakk
2008-05-30, 04:48 PM
Truthfully, it worked out pretty well. Most of the PC's encounter powers got used and it probably would have been more dangerous for the second character had it not been for the Warlock's Misty Step ability to put himself up in the trees from which he cound snipe at the Kobolds without getting swarmed.
Well, and your Minotaur was a pretty crappy defender from how you described the build (looks like a damage-heavy fighter, not a defense-heavy fighter... I suppose you need damage from somewhere!) Which makes it harder for the Warlock to hide behind you.

The encounters would have been built for a 500 XP total. You where balanced for a 400 XP total. By "a bit low level", I mean that they would have been full of level 1ish monsters -- which is OK, but I think you are supposed to have about as many encounters full of level 1ish monsters as you do level 9ish monsters by level 5. ;)

Accuracy powers would end up being less useful than standard, extra attacks and area powers probably more useful.