PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce "Lien"?

Beholder1995
2008-05-30, 07:56 AM
This is something that's been bothering me for a while. But tell me, how is Lien's name pronounced? I think these are the options:

Lee-en

Line

Leen

Lyen (one syllable)

Lie-en

So.... which is it?

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-05-30, 09:20 AM
Lee-en

Line

Leen

Lyen (one syllable) This is closest to what I would say. Kind of like Brighid looks like it'd be 2 syll, but is only one -Breed- which sort of sounds like 2.

Lie-en

Kato
2008-05-30, 09:28 AM
It being an Asian name (or supposed to be one considering the Asian theme of Azurite city) I'm quite sure Lien is pronounced as Lee-Anne. (So, the two names Lee and the name Anne, spoken together, but as two short syllables. or take 'an' as the second, if this is more clear to you)

Morty
2008-05-30, 09:58 AM
I've always been pronouncing it as "Lyen" with "y" being very short.

ObadiahtheSlim
2008-05-30, 12:58 PM
Lean, just like what you have against your car.

Helanna
2008-05-30, 02:08 PM
I've always pronounced it Lee-en, but I don't really know much about Asian names.

I hate it when I find out that I've been pronouncing names wrong. After I finished, oh, maybe, the fourth Wheel of Time book, I discovered the glossary. It took me MONTHS to start pronouncing the names "right".

Beholder1995
2008-05-30, 02:40 PM
Hmmm... seeing these, I think I'll revise the list

Lee-en

Lee-en

Lie-en

Lie-en

Leen

Line

Lyen (one syllable)

Lee-an

Lee-an

Lie-an

Lie-an

I myself normally pronounce it Lee-en, but I'm not sure. Otherwise this thread wouldn't exist, now would it? :smallwink:

Kato
2008-05-30, 02:45 PM
Just a question... HOW do you pronounce the 'en'? I mean... what other way is there to 'an' or am I ignorant to some matter of pronunciation?

Newtkeeper
2008-05-30, 02:49 PM
Just a question... HOW do you pronounce the 'en'? I mean... what other way is there to 'an' or am I ignorant to some matter of pronunciation?

It can be an 'an', but I suspect it's an 'en'. The sounds are different- 'and' vs. 'end'.

Beholder1995
2008-05-30, 02:54 PM
It can be an 'an', but I suspect it's an 'en'. The sounds are different- 'and' vs. 'end'.

Yeah, thanks. I meant 'en' as in 'ben', or 'ten' and 'an' as in 'fan' or 'land'.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-05-30, 03:01 PM
Lee as the name, L then a long e.

En as in end.

Kaelaroth
2008-05-30, 03:01 PM
For me, it's always been "Leee-En", rhyming with "Teee-Ben". Also, just out of interest, I pronounce Daigo as "Die-Go", and Miko as "Meee-Koe". Are they right?

Beholder1995
2008-05-30, 03:05 PM
Maybe.... but that just got me thinking.... do you pronounce 'Daigo' day-go, dye-go, or dee-go? Or maybe Day-ee-go. I've always pronounced it 'day-go'.

On another note, I've always unquestioningly pronounced Miko 'Mye-ko'

Eric
2008-05-30, 03:11 PM
You pronounce it

Lien.

You're welcome

:smallbiggrin:

Echowinds
2008-05-30, 03:34 PM
Actually, since the Azure names are generally quasi-Japanese, it might actually be Ri-e-n. Ri because in Japanese Li doesn't exist, but it pronounces similarly.

It might be Lee-eh-un. Something like that anyways, I am not terribly good with phonetics.

Kato
2008-05-30, 03:55 PM
Okay, then I gotta apologize, Of course it's more towards 'Ben' or 'ten' than 'fan' or 'land', my mistake. So it is Lee(as the name, or with the same sound as in tea or so)-en(es in Ben/ten or so)
Also Echo might be true... the L sound in Asian (especially Japanese) is most common a sound between R and L, but using L is good enough.

I'll go with 'die' and 'go' for Daigo, cause this is a very common name and pronounced like that. Miko is 'me' and... er... what's a ko-sound? Anyway, I think it's a long o, as in really loooooooong ^^

MSK
2008-05-30, 04:18 PM
Lien: "Lee-inn" or "Lee-enn". First syllable stressed. If you can, make the south-east Asian cross between the r and l sounds.
Daigo: "Die-go". First syllable stressed, the final vowel is cut a bit shorter than you would normally have it in English.
Miko Miyazaki: "Mee-ko Mee-uh-zack-ee". First syllable of Miko stressed, third of Miyazaki stressed.
Kazumi Kato: "Kuh-zoo-mee Kah-toe". Second syllable of Kazumi and last of Kato stressed.
Hinjo: "Heen-joe". First syllable stressed. Like Daigo, the final O is cut short.
Shojo: "Sho-joe". First syllable stressed.
O-Chul: "Oh-chool". First syllable stressed. The u makes a sound halfway between the oo of "cool" and the u of "under".
Soon Kim: "Soo-un Keem". First syllable of Soon stressed. See note at O-Chul for pronunciation of the oo.
Thanh: I really have no idea. "Than"? "Thon"? Most likely closer to "Thon".
Sangwaan: "Sahng-gwonn". Unlike English, the ng would sound like "ng-g".
I think that's all the Asian names anyone could have trouble with. And yes, Soon is almost definately two syllables.

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-05-30, 04:43 PM
I've always pronounced it Lee-en, but I don't really know much about Asian names.

I hate it when I find out that I've been pronouncing names wrong. After I finished, oh, maybe, the fourth Wheel of Time book, I discovered the glossary. It took me MONTHS to start pronouncing the names "right".

Heee hehee hee he he he he....Sorry. :smallamused::smallbiggrin:

GalenDev
2008-05-30, 05:12 PM
LEE-ehn is generally the way I say it.

Pie Guy
2008-05-30, 05:44 PM
For me, it's always been "Leee-En", rhyming with "Teee-Ben". Also, just out of interest, I pronounce Daigo as "Die-Go", and Miko as "Meee-Koe". Are they right?

You stole my pronounciation! Have at you, knave!:smallbiggrin:

Lord Ike
2008-05-30, 05:52 PM
Lie-en
for Lien
Day-ie-go
for Daigo

The Extinguisher
2008-05-30, 06:26 PM
Lee-Anne seems about right.

Also, part of my really wants to prounounced Daigo as Day-Glo, but another part tells me not to be stupid.

Beholder1995
2008-05-31, 11:20 AM
Soon Kim: "Soo-un Keem". First syllable of Soon stressed.

Yeah, but Redcloak pronounced it like "I will leave soon", and enough so that Xykon became confused. And I don't think Mr. Burlew would've gone as far as having a main character mispronounce another character's name. From that I can only conclude that Soon Kim's first name sounds like the 'soon' in my previous example.

Kato
2008-05-31, 11:54 AM
Lien: "Lee-inn" or "Lee-enn". First syllable stressed. If you can, make the south-east Asian cross between the r and l sounds.
Daigo: "Die-go". First syllable stressed, the final vowel is cut a bit shorter than you would normally have it in English.
Miko Miyazaki: "Mee-ko Mee-uh-zack-ee". First syllable of Miko stressed, third of Miyazaki stressed.
Kazumi Kato: "Kuh-zoo-mee Kah-toe". Second syllable of Kazumi and last of Kato stressed.
Hinjo: "Heen-joe". First syllable stressed. Like Daigo, the final O is cut short.
Shojo: "Sho-joe". First syllable stressed.
O-Chul: "Oh-chool". First syllable stressed. The u makes a sound halfway between the oo of "cool" and the u of "under".
Soon Kim: "Soo-un Keem". First syllable of Soon stressed. See note at O-Chul for pronunciation of the oo.
Thanh: I really have no idea. "Than"? "Thon"? Most likely closer to "Thon".
Sangwaan: "Sahng-gwonn". Unlike English, the ng would sound like "ng-g".
I think that's all the Asian names anyone could have trouble with. And yes, Soon is almost definately two syllables.

I'd go with most of those. Except for...
1) How does the 'inn' fit in there? o.o
2) no complaints
3) why do you split the 'zaki'? I think's its more like 'sa-kee' (I cant think of something good to compare them too)
4) I'm not sure about Kasumi's Ka being stressed or not...
5) I'm not sure here as well... I generally stress neither...
6) alright there
7) I've no idea ^^*** O-Chul is like... seems completely made up. I can't think of any name like that. I just say Oh-Chool (as in cool), stressing the second syllable.
8) I just go by Ta-n... dunno how to explain it again.

Arkenputtyknife
2008-05-31, 12:49 PM
It should be pointed out that stressing the second syllable is an American practice, not the Japanese practice, which would be to speak the three syllables with equal timing, possibly with a fall in pitch after the first syllable. This might be because Japanese uses lots of long words (out of necessity, because of the relatively small number of distinct syllables in the language) and marking the first syllable makes it easier to figure out where one word ends and the next begins.

It's probably a moot point, since kaZOOOmi is almost certainly what the Giant had in mind when he picked the name, but it still sounds butt-ugly and just plain wrong to me. Same goes for the very common name Sakura (“Every show has one!”).

Kato
2008-05-31, 01:34 PM
Hehe... I feel the urge to come up with anime dubbing again ^^'''
Though, I can only speak of German dubs, it's cruel beyond any limits. Best example being the Naruto dub. All the real fans laugh about SaKUra and even more SasUKE (it's more a Saske, and Uke is a term referring to a passive part in a relation ship or even the dominated in sm-pairings) The very worst happened to Chouji who's pronounced as Joey/Chewy over here.
Anyway, I think the long 'su' syllable is right, cause it's none of the shortened u's as in Sakura oder Sasuke.
So... I hope the giant brings out a pronunciation chart for all the chars, so we don't have to be afraid, we might pronounce them wrongly.