PDA

View Full Version : [4.0] Characters and Builds

Iku Rex
2008-05-30, 09:12 AM
Post 4.0 characters of any level or even "builds" in this thread.

Please don't turn it into a Q&A thread! I don't mind answering questions about the character, but I'm not going to post the details of every power or every item.

I've made a 6th level dwarven paladin.

Why? I've decided to try running a character through a few encounters to get a better feel for the 4.0 rules. Specifically, I'll be using the Keep on the Shadowfell adventure with a single 6th level "player" character. (I'll avoid adventure spoilers in this thread.) Obviously the adventure (and the system) wasn't designed for that, but I don't want the hassle of making custom encounters or making and running 5 PCs. After skimming through the adventure I suspect even level 6 will be too low for some of the encounters, but I want to keep the lower level opponents somewhat relevant. On the upside, I'll be learning more about the powers available to level 6+ characters.

So:

Bram, Dwarven Paladin 6

22 point buy:
Str 15 7
Dex 10
Con 13 3
Int 8
Wis 15 7
Cha 14 5

+1 Str, +1 Wis level 4
+2 Con, +2 Wis Dwarf

End result:
Str 16 (+3)
Dex 10 (+0)
Con 15 (+2)
Int 8 (-1)
Wis 18 (+4)
Cha 14 (+2)

Feats:
Dwarven Weapon Training, Raven Queen's Blessing, Warrior of the Wild, Durable

Powers:

At will prayers:
Bolstering Strike (lv1)
Holy Strike (lv1)

Encounter prayers:
Radiant Smite (lv 1)
Invigorating Smite (lv3)

Daily prayers:
Radiant Delirium (lv1)
Sign of Vulnerability (lv5)

Utility prayers:
Astral Speech (lv2)
Wrath of the Gods (lv6)

Items:

Picking items was a bit tricky. There doesn't seem to be any specific advice in the DMG for starting characters beyond level 1. I found no "wealth per level" table. It is still important to game balance though, so I went with a few basic items to make it a more or less "standard" 6th level character. It adds up to about 6000 gp.

Edit: Scintillatus found it. I was pretty close.

Holy Symbol of Hope +1 (lv3)
Lifedrinker Warhammer (lv5)
Dwarven Plate Armor +2 (lv7)
Amulet of Protection +2 (lv6)
Belt of Vigor +1 (lv2)
320 gp (1000 gp - lv 3 item)
Standard adventurer’s kit
2 Handaxes
Crossbow
20 Crossbow bolts

Trained skills: Religion, Diplomacy, Endurance, Insight, Perception (Ranger)

Speed 5
Initiative: +3 (lv/2)

Passive Insight: 22 (10+4+5+3)
Passive Perception: 22 (10+4+5+3)

HPs: 60 (15 paladin + 15 Con + 30 five levels)
14 Healing Surges/day (10 paladin + 2 Con + 2 Durable)
Healing Surge heals 15 (60/4 + 1 item)

AC: 25 (10 + lv/2 + 8 armor + 2 enhancement + 2 shield)

Fort: 19 (10 + lv/2 + 1 paladin + 3 Str + 2 item)
Ref: 18 (10 + lv/2 + 1 paladin + 2 shield + 2 item)
Will: 20 (10 + lv/2 + 1 paladin + 4 Wis + 2 item)

Basic Attacks:
Crossbow +5 (+2 proficient + 3 lv/2), 1d8 damage
Warhammer +9 (+2 proficient + 3 lv/2 + 3 Str +1 item), 1d10+ 6 (+3 Str + 2 feat + 1 item)
Handaxe +8 (+2 proficient + 3 lv/2 + 3 Str) 1d6+ 5 (+3 Str +2 feat)

Most attacks will be through powers. -1 attack and damage when Cha based power. Add Wis damage if Holy Strike and marked. Add Cha damage if Wrath of the Gods. Add +1d6 if Quarry. Check powers for extras.

Tactics:
The character's main schtick is using healing surges to stay in a fight. Every encounter he can use four healing surges from Lay on Hands (minor action), one healing Surge from Second Wind (minor action since dwarf) and one healing surge from Raven Queen's Blessing (free action when dropping opponent). Once per day he can use a free action to regain hit points as if he'd spent a healing surge (dwarven armor). On top of that he can heal himself if bloodied with Invigorating Smite and gain temporary hit points with Bolstering Strike and his lifedrinker weapon.

His bread-and butter offensive power is Holy Strike for 1d10+10 radiant damage against a marked opponent. He'll be using Hunter's Quarry to get +1d6 damage against any obvious threat (once per encounter, but the power lasts the entire encounter). (Edit: Nope. Errata. See below. Must reconsider that feat.) Wrath of the Gods adds another +2 damage from Cha on all attacks. Once per day he can pull out the big guns and if Sign of Vulnerability hits, the following Radiant Delirium, Radiant Strike and Holy Strikes should do some decent damage.

So, any thoughts? What would you do if you were making a level 6 character for a solo adventure?

Any mistakes? I've already had to rebuild the character after noticing that you can't wear plate armor (well) without Str 15 and Con 15. The proficiency feats have prerequisites that have to be met to use the feat, apparently even if you got it from a class ability that "counts as" a feat. I'm currently not sure about using Lay on Hands on yourself. The target is "one creature" and the rules are quite clear that "one creature" can be "you". (" 'Creature' or 'creatures' means allies and enemies both, as well as you.") The wording, the Healing Hands feat and some powers using "you or one creature" makes me unsure about the intent though.

Scintillatus
2008-05-30, 09:25 AM
WBL is:

1 Level +1 magic item.
1 Level = magic item.
1 Level -1 magic item.

Wealth equal to a level -1 magic item.

Pick what you like from the adventuring gear section.

Meanwhile, here's the level one Swashbuckler-style Rogue I'll be playing in Stupnick's game.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg5s7p32_32fhrfv2c8

I'm also working on a Strength-based Assassin-style Rogue, and I'll probably poke around the Paladin and Wizard sections later today.

Charity
2008-05-30, 09:32 AM
His bread-and butter offensive power is Holy Strike for 1d10+10 radiant damage against a marked opponent. He'll be using Hunter's Quarry to get +1d6 damage against any obvious threat (once per encounter, but the power lasts the entire encounter).

Nope, sorry Hunters quarry, (and the rogue equivilant) only last for 1 round/encounter for the multiclass version.

The table also references "designate prey" for the ranger, which should be Hunter's Quarry. (And as official "real" errata for Warrior of the Wild: it should be "once per encounter UNTIL THE END OF YOUR NEXT TURN, you can use the ranger's Hunter's Quarry feature". Just like Sneak of Shadows, it's meant to give the extra striker damage for 1 round per encounter. )

Iku Rex
2008-05-30, 09:34 AM
WBL is:

1 Level +1 magic item.
1 Level = magic item.
1 Level -1 magic item.

Wealth equal to a level -1 magic item.

Pick what you like from the adventuring gear section.There it is! (Page 143 in DMG.) Thanks. I'll make some changes.

Iku Rex
2008-05-30, 09:38 AM
Nope, sorry Hunters quarry, (and the rogue equivilant) only last for 1 round/encounter for the multiclass version.How do you figure? You can only use it once per encounter, but the effect "remains active until the end of the encounter, until the quarry is defeated, or until you designate a different target as your quarry".

Edea
2008-05-30, 09:38 AM
I'm playing a Wizard who multiclassed into Warlock that I made first...assuming I can find people to play with ;;_;;

Charity
2008-05-30, 09:40 AM
How do you figure? You can only use it once per encounter, but the effect "remains active until the end of the encounter, until the quarry is defeated, or until you designate a different target as your quarry".

See my edited post above, officialy errata'd before the books even hit the shelves... still, it was loads better than the other multiclass feats otherwise.

See here (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=228193)

SamTheCleric
2008-05-30, 09:48 AM
I've got the concept in my head that I cant put on paper cause I'm at work and don't have my books. He (or she) will be my first living forgotten realms character.

Half-Elf Cleric of Avandra. Battle Cleric type, so Str > Cha > Wis > Con > Dex > Int

For the Half-elf power... take one of the Fighter at-wills for an encounter power.

First level feat: Channel Divinity: Avandra's Favor (or whatever its called :P)

Second Level: Initiate feat for Paladin
Fourth Level: Novice Multiclass feat for Paladin.

Paragon Path: Angelic Avenger.

Iku Rex
2008-05-30, 09:56 AM
See my edited post above, officialy errata'd before the books even hit the shelves...:smallsigh:

still, it was loads better than the other multiclass feats otherwise.I wouldn't say "loads better", but it was pretty good. Now it's significantly worse than some of the other options IMO.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-30, 04:59 PM
Here's my first build... what do you guys think?

Character Name: _____________ Level _1__ Class Cleric______ Paragon Path _________ Epic Destiny ________ Total XP: ______
Race: Half Elf__ Size: _M_ Age: 19__ Gender: Male_ Height: 5'8" Weight: 145_ Alignment: Good__________ Deity: Avandra_____

ABILITY SCORES
STR: [14] Abil Mod [+2] Mod+1/2 Level [+2]
CON: [16] Abil Mod [+3] Mod+1/2 Level [+3]
DEX: [10] Abil Mod [+0] Mod+1/2 Level [+0]
INT: [10] Abil Mod [+0] Mod+1/2 Level [+0]
WIS: [14] Abil Mod [+2] Mod+1/2 Level [+2]
CHA: [16] Abil Mod [+4] Mod+1/2 Level [+3]

INITIATIVE
Intiative: [+0]=Dex [0] + 1/2 Level [0] + Misc. [0]

DEFENSES
AC: [16] = 10+1/2 Level [0] + Armor/Abil [6] + Class [0] + Feat [0] + Enh [0] + Misc [0] + Misc [0]
FORT: [13] = 10+1/2 Level [0] + Abil [3] + Class [0] + Feat [0] + Enh [0] + Misc [0] + Misc [0]
REF: [10] = 10+1/2 Level [0] + Abil [0] + Class [0] + Feat [0] + Enh [0] + Misc [0] + Misc [0]
WILL: [16] = 10+1/2 Level [0] + Abil [4] + Class [2] + Feat [0] + Enh [0] + Misc [0] + Misc [0]

MOVEMENT
Speed [5] = Base [6] + Armor [-1] + Item [0] + Misc [0]

SENSES
Passive Insight [19] = 10 + Skill Bonus [+9]
Passive Perception [12] = 10 + Skill Bonus [+2]

HIT POINTS
Max HP [28]
Bloodied [14] 1/2 HP
Surge Value [7] 1/4 HP
Surges/Day [10]

Second Wind 1/Encounter. USED [ ]
Death saving Throw Failures [ ] [ ] [ ]

Resistances:

Current Combat Conditions and Effects:

ACTION POINTS
Action Points: [ 1 ]

ATTACK WORSKPACE
Ability: Mace
Att Bonus [+4] = 1/2 Level [0] + Abil [2] + Class [0] + Prof [2] + Feat [0] + Enh [0] + Misc [0]

Ability: Crossbow
Att Bonus [+2] = 1/2 Level [0] + Abil [0] + Class [0] + Prof [2] + Feat [0] + Enh [0] + Misc [0]

DAMAGE WORKSPACE
Ability: Mace
Damage [1d8+2] = Abil [2] + Feat [0] + Enh [0] + Misc [0] + Misc [0]

Ability:
Damage [1d8] = Abil [-] + Feat [0] + Enh [0] + Misc [0] + Misc [0]

BASIC ATTACKS
Attack vs Defense
[+4] vs [ AC] Weapon/Power: Mace Damage: 1d8+2
[+2] vs [ AC] Weapon/Power: Crossbow Damage: 1d8
[ ] vs [ ] Weapon/Power: Damage:
[ ] vs [ ] Weapon/Power: Damage:

RACE FEATURES
Ability Score Mods: +2 Con, +2 Cha
All allies within 10 squares get +1 Diplomacy
Choose one At-Will power from any class, use it an an encounter power (Bolstering Strike)
+2 Diplomacy and Insight

CLASS / PATH / DESTINY FEATURES

Channel Divinity: Once Per Encounter you can invoke divine power: Turn Undead, Divine Fortune.
Healer's Lore: Add wisdom modifier to the hit points gained by any cleric power that has the healing keyword
Healing Word: You gain the Healing Word Power
Ritual Casting: You gain the Ritual Caster feat as a bonus feat. You possess a ritual book and it contains two rituals you have mastered: the Gentle Repose ritual and one other 1st-level ritual of your choice

SKILLS
Acrobatics [ 0] = DEX [0] + 1/2 Level [0] + Trained [ ] + Armor Penalty [ ] + Misc [ ]
Arcana [ 0] = INT [0] + 1/2 Level [0] + Trained [ ] + Armor Penalty [ ] + Misc [ ]
Athletics [ 2] = STR [2] + 1/2 Level [0] + Trained [ ] + Armor Penalty [ ] + Misc [ ]
Bluff [ 4] = CHA [4] + 1/2 Level [0] + Trained [ ] + Armor Penalty [ ] + Misc [ ]
Diplomacy [11] = CHA [4] + 1/2 Level [0] + Trained [5] + Armor Penalty [ ] + Misc [2]
Endurance [ 3] = CON [3] + 1/2 Level [0] + Trained [ ] + Armor Penalty [ ] + Misc [ ]
Heal [ 7] = WIS [2] + 1/2 Level [0] + Trained [5] + Armor Penalty [ ] + Misc [ ]
History [ 0] = INT [0] + 1/2 Level [0] + Trained [ ] + Armor Penalty [ ] + Misc [ ]
Insight [ 9] = WIS [2] + 1/2 Level [0] + Trained [5] + Armor Penalty [ ] + Misc [2]
Intimidate [ 4] = CHA [4] + 1/2 Level [0] + Trained [ ] + Armor Penalty [ ] + Misc [ ]
Nature [ 2] = WIS [2] + 1/2 Level [0] + Trained [ ] + Armor Penalty [ ] + Misc [ ]
Perception [ 2] = WIS [2] + 1/2 Level [0] + Trained [ ] + Armor Penalty [ ] + Misc [ ]
Religion [ 5] = INT [0] + 1/2 Level [0] + Trained [5] + Armor Penalty [ ] + Misc [ ]
Stealth [ 0] = DEX [0] + 1/2 Level [0] + Trained [ ] + Armor Penalty [ ] + Misc [ ]
Streetwise [ 4] = CHA [4] + 1/2 Level [0] + Trained [ ] + Armor Penalty [ ] + Misc [ ]
Thievery [ 0] = DEX [0] + 1/2 Level [0] + Trained [ ] + Armor Penalty [ ] + Misc [ ]

FEATS
Avandra's Rescue
Ritual Caster

LANGUAGES KNOWN
Common
Elven
Dwarven

POWER INDEX
AT-WILL POWERS

Priest's Shield
Standard Action - Melee Weapon
Target: One Creature
Attack: +4 vs AC
Hit: 1d8+2 and you and one adjacent ally gain a +1 power bonus to AC until the end of your next turn.

Righteous Brand
Attack: +4 vs. AC
Hit: 1d8+2 damage and one ally within 5 squares of you gains +2 to melee attack rolls until the end of your next turn

ENCOUNTER POWERS

Healing Word
Special: Twice per encounter but only once per round
Minor Action - Close Burst 5
Target: You or one ally
Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain an additional 1d6 hit points

Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune
Free Action: You gaina +1 to your next attack roll or saving throw before the end of your next turn

Channel Divinity: Turn Undead
Standard Action - Close Burst 2
Attack: +2 vs Will
Hit: 1d10+2 radiant damage adn you push the target 6 squares. The target is immobilized until the end of your next turn
Miss: Half damage, and the target is not pushed or immobilized

Channel Divinity: Avandra's Rescue
Move Action - Melee 1
Target: One Ally
Effect: Shift into the space of an adjacent ally; that ally simultaneously shifts into your space. Your space and your ally's space must be the same size.

Healing Strike
Attack: +4 vs Ac
Hit: 2d8+2 radiant damage and the target is marked until the end of your next turn. In addition, you or one ally within 5 squares of you can spend a healing surge with a +2 bonus.

Bolstering Strike
Attack: +5 vs AC
Hit: 1d8+3 damage and you gain 2 temporary hit points

DAILY POWERS

Avenging Flame
Attack: Strength vs AC
Hit: 2d8+2 damage and ongoing 5 fire damage (Save ends)
Miss: Half Damage, and no ongoing damage
Special: If the target attacks on its turn, it can't attempt a saving throw against the ongoing fire damage.