PDA

View Full Version : Your duty to mankind...

SamTheCleric
2008-05-30, 09:17 AM
Is to make this (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=4213) character better. (Banned Books: All Psionics, All Setting Specific, Tome of Battle, Tome of Magic, Magic of Incarnum, Complete Champion and Dragono Magic)

Level 8 Human Sorcerer

Feats:
Human - Draconic Heritage (Silver)
1 - Draconic Breath
3 - Draconic Presence
6 - ?

Spell Selection:

First: Shield, Lesser Orb of Cold, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, True Casting
Second: Alter Self, Ray of Ice, Resist Energy
Third: Fly, Hold Person
Fourth: Solid Fog

-

The idea is that if I need AoE damage, I spend a spell slot to use draconic breath... and with the Draconic Spirit Cincture (Magic Item Compendium), the breath weapon will be 2d8 damage per level of the spell given up. 30' cone of cold.

FlyMolo
2008-05-30, 09:41 AM
Reserve feats. They rock.

Summon elemental and Umbral Shroud and fiery blast. Especially fiery blast. Check them out.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-30, 09:45 AM
Do any of those reserve feats match up with the spells ive chosen? :smalleek:

FlyMolo
2008-05-30, 09:54 AM
They're blastery feats, and you have a batman sorceror there. Not really? Touch of Distraction does, but it sucks.

It's a real pity, because they are fun feats. Summon elemental as an at-will SLA? Trapfinding, flanking for the rogue, bait. The possibilities are endless. Anyway, I was not really helpful. Ah well.

Check out Draconomicon and Dragon Magic. If you haven't already. Already used Draconomicon and Dragon Magic is banned. Durn.

Dragon pacts? I don't remember where they hiding at, but they seem right up your alley.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-30, 09:58 AM
Well, my spell selection could change... but yeah, I'm going for the utility sorcerer with my breath weapon being my main source of damage.

No reserve feat is keyed off of Solid Fog? How sad! :smallbiggrin:

Douglas
2008-05-30, 10:10 AM
Reserve feats for sorcerers work much better if you take Heighten Spell. For example, you could take a reserve feat keyed off of [cold] spells and use Heightened Ray of Frost to power it with your highest level spell slot without having to spend a spell known on a high level cold spell.

FlyMolo
2008-05-30, 10:49 AM
Reserve feats for sorcerers work much better if you take Heighten Spell. For example, you could take a reserve feat keyed off of [cold] spells and use Heightened Ray of Frost to power it with your highest level spell slot without having to spend a spell known on a high level cold spell.

I don't know if that works RAW. With a wizard, surely, but sorcerors apply meta as they're casting, unless they take a feat to prepare. (I think that works?) So yeah. You could easily argue it of course, but it just isn't something the rules were written to take account of.

marjan
2008-05-30, 11:42 AM
T
It's a real pity, because they are fun feats. Summon elemental as an at-will SLA?

No. It's better than that - Su ability.

I don't know if that works RAW. With a wizard, surely, but sorcerors apply meta as they're casting, unless they take a feat to prepare. (I think that works?) So yeah. You could easily argue it of course, but it just isn't something the rules were written to take account of.

Don't remember exact wording, but key words are:
Highest level [appropriate descriptor] spell available to cast.
So with Heighten Spell and highest level spell slot you use your highest spell level to determine strength of effect. I think that there is example of this somewhere in the book.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-30, 07:19 PM
Hmm. none of the reserve feats blow my skirt up... not that i'm wearing a skirt... <_<

Any other ideas. Ooo maybe frostburn has something.

EDIT: If I picked up Magical Aptitude and a metamagic feat... I could be Sorcerer 5/Wild Mage 3... and... that's always fun. :smalltongue:

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-30, 07:27 PM
Hmm. none of the reserve feats blow my skirt up... not that i'm wearing a skirt... <_<

Any other ideas. Ooo maybe frostburn has something.

The teleportation reserve feat and the Minor Shapeshift only have one word to describe them, especially the second one for Gishes or Lady's Gambiteers:

R0XX0RZ!

Really, they're THAT good.

As for spells, drop Hold person and get stinking cloud. Heightened, it's a save or suck really hard.

Then, drop the ray of ice or the orb of cold, for Glitterdust and Grease, respectively. Your rogue/Factotum/Whatever is going to love you for grease, and Glitterdust is "Just that good".

Then, once you can, pick either Enervation of Orb of Cold/Acid/Sound. They rock.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-30, 07:31 PM
Hmm. Stinking cloud is quite good... I'll add that to the list. Thanks for the tip :)

Would it be a waste of a feat to take Extra Spell as my 6th level feat? Extra 2nd level spell known. Lots of options to put there.

FlyMolo
2008-05-30, 08:13 PM
Hmm. Stinking cloud is quite good... I'll add that to the list. Thanks for the tip :)

Would it be a waste of a feat to take Extra Spell as my 6th level feat? Extra 2nd level spell known. Lots of options to put there.

Possibly? I know that a popular option is to get that rotating bonus feat with chameleon and use it for extra spell/power for some flexibility.

I recommend... Oh, one of my favorite feats. Bladeproof skin. Spelltouched, DR 3/bludg. You need to be exposed to iron body, but by sixth level that's child's play. I love it, and put it on all my arena chars with a spare feat. When you're only taking small weapon damage, dr 3 is awesomezor. Better than toughness. :smallwink:

SamTheCleric
2008-05-30, 08:20 PM
Well, I've still got plenty of time (at least a week) before the game starts... for now I'll tack on Extra Spell [False Life]

Hmm. The reason I didn't take glitter dust... is because I -always- take glitter dust with all my arcane casters... wanted to try something a little different. Any other recommendations for a level 2 spell? Damage may be best... as I do need to occasionally hurt something that's a single target. :smallbiggrin:

JaxGaret
2008-05-30, 08:26 PM
Versatile Spellcaster is always a great feat for spont casters. It's almost too good not to take, like Natural Spell for Druids.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-30, 08:31 PM
Oo. that's a good one... I'll replace Draconic Presence with that.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-30, 08:33 PM
Well, I've still got plenty of time (at least a week) before the game starts... for now I'll tack on Extra Spell [False Life]

Hmm. The reason I didn't take glitter dust... is because I -always- take glitter dust with all my arcane casters... wanted to try something a little different. Any other recommendations for a level 2 spell? Damage may be best... as I do need to occasionally hurt something that's a single target. :smallbiggrin:

Web or Blast of Force are excellent, IMO. There's also combust, which is pretty powerful.