PDA

View Full Version : Tripping Cleric

TheLostOne
2008-05-30, 11:29 AM
I'm building a martial cleric up to level 5 and planning on taking Ordained Champion in a few levels when we can work it into the campaign.

Core books and the completes are allowed, everything else is a case-by-case basis.

I'm a human with the War and Strength Domains.
Stats are 14 9 16 13 18 11 with my level 4 bringing Dex to 10.

I took Combat Expertise and Improved trip at first level with Weapon Focus (Heavy Flail) as my War domain bonus and I'm planning on enlarging and then tripping everything in sight.

I'm not sure what to spend my 3rd level feat on, and really what direction to take from there. Is there anything that would be a good synergy with tripping?

Also, does anyone know if the Strength bonus from the strength domain power stacks with other strength enhancements?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just to add. My deity in this setting has access to War, Strength, Law, Knowledge, Healing, Protection and Planning. I was thinking of taking Planning as my extra domain once I get OC for the extend spell feat and cool spells, but should I reconsider that? I'll be losing spontaneous healing so maybe I should take the healing domain and the spontaneous domains feat. What do you think?

Solo
2008-05-30, 11:37 AM
As a cleric, you could use your feats and actions on better things.

Griffin131
2008-05-30, 11:38 AM
I'm not sure what to spend my 3rd level feat on, and really what direction to take from there. Is there anything that would be a good synergy with tripping?
A high Dex for AoOs with Combat Reflexes. You're SoL there.

The Aether ate the rest of my message omg!
The Strength domain special power doesnt stack with other enhancement bonuses (IE Bull's Strength). It wouldn't be overpowered to make it untyped tho.

TheLostOne
2008-05-30, 11:56 AM
As a cleric, you could use your feats and actions on better things.

Well I'm not really sure what else to spend the early feats on. When I say tripping everything in sight I exaggerate slightly. I plan to buff at the beginning of combat and then wade in using spells as utility for debuffing, healing and such instead of for direct damage. I really like trip because I can use it any time I would be making a normal attack. I'll only have so many OC smites and I'll be support casting as needed so in the mean time instead of just whacking people I'm cutting their legs from under them.

I want to get the Holy Warrior feat, extra turning, and maybe Spontaneous Domains, but what else would you consider vital?

@Griffin: Yeah, I know I won't be getting the extra AoO's, but I can keep a vital enemy on the ground.

If the strength power doesn't stack then it might be a decent choice to sacrifice for a feat once I take OC.

marjan
2008-05-30, 12:01 PM
If you are set on using tripping as your strategy you should get Power Attack (you should take this anyway) and then Knockdown (if it is allowed).

TheLostOne
2008-05-30, 12:09 PM
If you are set on using tripping as your strategy you should get Power Attack (you should take this anyway) and then Knockdown (if it is allowed).

Not exactly set on it, but not sure what else to go with for a melee focused cleric.

Is Knockdown legal in 3.5? It sounds ridiculously overpowered. Free trip attempt any time you hit for more than 10. It's not in any books is it? Seems like it was copy/pasted into the SRD and forgotten about.

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-30, 12:14 PM
Am I the only one who imagined a cleric on acid, sitting in the corner going 'woah man' ?

Griffin131
2008-05-30, 02:26 PM
@Griffin: Yeah, I know I won't be getting the extra AoO's, but I can keep a vital enemy on the ground.
You do know that tripping someone that is standing up doesn't trip them again, right?

Trip builds should be either a) lots of attacks/AoOs to trip everyone, or b) be able to do lots of damage after a Trip (Knockdown + Improved Trip + Power Attack).

TheLostOne
2008-05-30, 03:37 PM
Bah. That makes sense now that I think about it.

Hmm. So would you say Imp Trip is not worthwhile to take? If not, what kind of feats would you suggest for a melee focused Cleric/Ordained Champion instead?