PDA

View Full Version : Sharingan Bloodline

Aleron
2008-05-30, 12:37 PM
I've seen a few builds on things from the Naruto Universe. After reading the latest manga chapter last night and seeing Sauske's new & improved Mangekyou Sharingan eye I got to thinking how would you work out creating the Sharingan in D&D. It's too ability heavy to make as a feat really, so I was working through the list of abilities and character alterations in D&D when I came upon Bloodlines! PERFECT! Fits the flavor exactly, as the Sharingan is a Kekkei Genkai which literally means "Bloodline Limit". Mechanically I think it's also a Great way to fit in the theme.

I know that a lot of the basic bloodlines in the books are considered weak and not worth taking due to the XP penality you acrue either way, either for taking the level(s) in bloodline or for not taking it (20% XP Redux!!) but I'm hoping that my Sharingan bloodline will be strong enough to allow it to be considered a viable option for a character to take, considering some of the abilities it give.

Some Notes, as affinities don't make as much sence in the naruto-verse the generic Demonic/Draconic/Fey/whatever Affinity +2/4/6 has been replaced with a different ability. Yes, these are more powerfull than an actual bloodline. They are supposed to be, especailly for the levels you give up in a class for them.

{table=head]Character Level|Minor|Intermediate|Major
1st|- |- |+2 Sleight of Hand
2nd|- |+2 Sleight of Hand |Improved Initiative
3rd|- |- |Dexterity +1
4th|+2 Sleight of Hand |Improved Initiative |Uncanny Dodge
5th|- |- |1 Tomo Eye
6th|- |Dexterity +1 |Evasion
7th|- |- |+2 Spot
8th|Improved Initiative |Uncanny Dodge |Improved Uncanny Dodge
9th|- |- |Wisdom +1
10th|- |1 Tomo Eye |2 Tomo Eye
11th|- |- |Sharingan Affinity x2***
12th|Dexterity +1 |Improved Evasion |Lightning Reflexes
13th|- |- |+2 Search
14th|- |+2 Spot |Improved Evasion
15th|- |- |Charisma +1
16th|Uncanny Dodge |Improved Uncanny Dodge |Chidori 2/day****
17th|- |- |Sharingan Affinity x4***
18th|- |Wisdom +1 |Fireball 2/day(SP)
19th|- |- |+2 Spellcraft
20th|1 Tomo Eye* |2 Tomo Eye** |3 Tomo Eye*****
[/table]

*1 Tomo Eye: +2 on all rolls dealing with Illusion & Enchantment Spells, Spell like abilities or Spuernatural Effects
**2 Tomo Eye: +10 inherant bonus to land speed
***Sharingan Affinity: Double or Quadruiple the effect of 1 and 2 Tomo Eye
****Chidori: When using Chidori ignore Armor & Natural Armor for one round. This is a move action and may be taken with your normal move action.
*****3 Tomo Eye: 1/day you may copy any 1 Spell like ability or Supernatural Effect you are able to see. You retain the abilty use the copied effect or ability indefinately. You may use a copied ability from the 3 Tomo Eye 3/day. The 3 Tomo Eye also allows the selection of the Mangekyo Sharingan feat.

I will add the Mangekyo Sharingan feat listed above in a bit, I wanted to get this out and get some feedback. Not necessarly planning on using this in a game...just an exercise in "What if".

For refrence:
1 Tomo Eye
http://www.leafninja.com/images/information/eyes/Sharingan1.gif

2 Tomo Eye
http://www.leafninja.com/images/information/eyes/Sharingan2.gif

3 Tomo Eye
http://www.leafninja.com/images/information/eyes/Sharingan3.gif

Various Forms of Mangekyou Sharingan:
http://www.leafninja.com/images/information/eyes/Sharingan5.gifhttp://www.leafninja.com/images/information/eyes/Sharingan6.gifhttp://www.leafninja.com/images/information/eyes/Sharingan9.gifhttp://www.leafninja.com/images/information/eyes/Sharingan10.gif

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-30, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't do something like this for D&D at least.

It would either be brokenly good, or thanks to level costs, completely useless.

At the most, I'd let someone pick up an ability that lets them copy spells.

And, it clashes more than a little in a standard setting. As incoherent as some of those can get...

There's a Naruto D20 (http://www.narutod20.com/) someone made up. And Behold The Void is doing a General Shounen Anime System (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80835) (I am so tempted to run that village hidden in the trash campaign :P)

Aleron
2008-05-30, 09:21 PM
I'd seen refrences to the Naruto d20, but I've never looked at it. I'm downloading it now and will take a look at it. This was, as I said, just something that hit my mind and I decided to throw togeather, so I'm not heart broken. :)

SilentNight
2008-05-30, 11:08 PM
Sorry, but you were uber-ninja'd. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69660) Sorta.

Aleron
2008-05-31, 06:52 AM
Well, sorta...Byakugan, while also an Dojutsu(Eye technique) is a different Kekkei Genkai and has greatly different abilities than the Sharingan. And honestly I'd think that the Byakugan also would deserve a similiiarlly powerfull bloodline set up.

Solo
2008-05-31, 07:32 AM
Your bloodline fails at accounting for emo-ness.

Demons_eye
2008-06-01, 12:12 AM
Epic ^

But all the same cool

Xuincherguixe
2008-06-01, 01:16 AM
Your bloodline fails at accounting for emo-ness.

Yeah, but honestly who'd want to play that. Actually, that might be a good balancing factor.

Unless they actually want to be. In which case the penalty reverses and they can't.

(No, I'm not serious :P)

Corncracker
2008-06-01, 06:03 AM
Here are some inconsistancies with the Sharingan from the show and yours.

1) Chidori is NOT part of the Bloodline at all, It just so happens to only be useful at that point.

2) The Sharingen doesn't have an effect on agility. Not that 2 of the three people who you regularly see use it, Kakashi and Sasuke (I've seen up until the whole Sai thing, so I haven't seen a whole lot of Itachi fight) and they are just fast fighters due to their styles.

3) I haven't the slightest clue where your getting the Idea of Sharingan boosting Charisma.

Now, what I would suggest is keep the Reflex bonus's, do to the enhanced vision allowing him to see things and react sooner, and give him some dodge bonus to AC.

Overall, quite the nice Idea.

Xuincherguixe
2008-06-01, 07:05 AM
Most of you have probably seen this part anyways, but I'm putting spoiler tags on this, as it makes reference to the fight at the end of the Rescue Sasuke Arc.

Well, one thing is that it seems that the Sharingan allows one to see slightly into the future. Or at least Sasuke could. When fighting Naruto, he was able to see how he would attack.

Because of his improved Sharingan, it seems Sasuke was able to have greater control over the Curse Seal... somehow. Not really sure how that works. That probably was after a fashion improving agility, but it's more along the lines of it's just using up less chakra to get the same affect.

And of course, Chidori is a technique that can only be effectively used by Sharingan users. Though others might be able to learn it, it's implied that one would be extremely vulnerable to counter attacks.

And naturally if Naruto knew it, he'd come up with something else. Probably involving clones somehow. But that doesn't really matter.

Either way, yeah, not part of the bloodline.

Jibar
2008-06-01, 07:12 AM
Well, one thing is that it seems that the Sharingan allows one to see slightly into the future. Or at least Sasuke could. When fighting Naruto, he was able to see how he would attack.

I thought that was the analytical powers at work? Know what moves your opponent was going to use and thus make it appear as though you could see the future?

I don't know why I said that because I don't watch it or read it or whatever. Too much yaoi plasted on DeviantArt for me to ever like it.

Xuincherguixe
2008-06-01, 08:14 AM
I thought that was the analytical powers at work? Know what moves your opponent was going to use and thus make it appear as though you could see the future?

I don't know why I said that because I don't watch it or read it or whatever. Too much yaoi plasted on DeviantArt for me to ever like it.

Yeah, it gets kind of confusing. Kakahashi used his abilities to make it LOOK like he could see the future. But Sasuke seemed like he actually could. This was at around episode 130ish I think. Many people say the series jumped the shark after that arc, but whatever.

As far as Yaoi goes, I don't think that really matters :P You can probably find yoai of just about anything. Even things that don't even make sense. Especially things that don't make sense.

Aleron
2008-06-01, 03:22 PM
@Corncracker
1)Chidori is, or would be a Feat that this Bloodline would grant access to like it does for Lightning Refleses, ect...no, not all can use it, but as was earlier stated, people with Sharingan can most easily use it effectively. I just didn't feel like stating it out in full as a feat when I wrote it.
2)The boost to Dex(agility) is based on their seemingly pre-cognitive abilities while the sharingan is actived. Users can more easily dodge attacks. I also thought about giving them a +1 "Natural Armor" that would signifiy this, but the dex works better since it is also usefull with Reflex Saves, which makes too much since to ignore.
3)Honestly, I was about to add another +1 to Dex, but I wasn't sure that people would be willing to accept that. I guess it would be ok though since classes like the Human Paragon and what not give +2 boosts to stats for a 3 level class, which a major Sharingan Bloodline would in essence be.

As to why Cha, the more tomo the easier it is to charm people with Genjutsu so it made some since to me.

ZeroNumerous
2008-06-01, 03:55 PM
My suggestion: Naruto D20. It's much more suited to this sort of thing than D&D. It even comes with a Sharingan bloodline all stated out.

As for the differences between any mechanical Sharingan and the Sharingan from the manga/anime: Lets be honest. The entire Uchiha clan is one giant deus ex machina and they automatically succeed at everything they try to unless the plot demands otherwise. If you're accurately representing the show then you'd just write down:

Sharingan Eye
Benefit: Roll a d4. You win in that many episodes.

Corncracker
2008-06-01, 09:48 PM
@Corncracker
1)Chidori is, or would be a Feat that this Bloodline would grant access to like it does for Lightning Refleses, ect...no, not all can use it, but as was earlier stated, people with Sharingan can most easily use it effectively. I just didn't feel like stating it out in full as a feat when I wrote it.
2)The boost to Dex(agility) is based on their seemingly pre-cognitive abilities while the sharingan is actived. Users can more easily dodge attacks. I also thought about giving them a +1 "Natural Armor" that would signifiy this, but the dex works better since it is also usefull with Reflex Saves, which makes too much since to ignore.
3)Honestly, I was about to add another +1 to Dex, but I wasn't sure that people would be willing to accept that. I guess it would be ok though since classes like the Human Paragon and what not give +2 boosts to stats for a 3 level class, which a major Sharingan Bloodline would in essence be.

As to why Cha, the more tomo the easier it is to charm people with Genjutsu so it made some since to me.

Dex would also help improve their Balance, Ride, and USe rope skills, abilities that have NOTHING to do with Sharingan and things they wouldnt' help.

If anything, Sharingan would activate a dodge bonus to AC, not a Natural Armor, as it allows he to see what they are doing and easily doge on attack.

Also, it would give Circumstanctial Reflex bonus's, as he has to be able to see what it is he's avoiding for his Sharingen to have any effect By giving him a dex Bonus, he would gain bonus's to Reflex saves of things he can't see, which should be outside the scope of the Sharingan's abilities.

Basically, by Giving him Dex bonus's instead of just Circumstantial Dodge and Reflex bonus's, you're giving Sharingan powers and abilities it didn't possess in the show.

And giving people stat boosts for the sake of making their abilities stronger seems rather silly to me. The Sharingan itself has no power of your physical or mental being, and thus should never be able to increase a stat.

Basically I'm saying if you are going to adapt something from another show and put it into D&D, you need to remain faithful to what the attack is like from the show. True, it's not possible to remain 100% faithful to it, but there are a bit to many inconsistencies with your version and the shows to make it seem like they are meant to be the same thing.

And in regards to the "Sharingan Future seeing" thing,

At that stage of Sharingan. Sasuke is able to see the muscles contract in a way that allows him to know what his opponent is doing. I remember it explaining this as he and Naruto fought.

This is further enforced when he is unable to see the Chakra tails Naruto form attack, because there is no muscle contractions to watch in Chakra, therefore it's obvious Sasuke doesn't have foresight of any kind.

God I feel dirty for argueing points in this thread. :(

Aleron
2008-06-02, 07:16 AM
@Corncracker

Ok...I see what your saying as far as Dex possibly being, maybe, a bit much but really, how many times in the show/manga have people managed to have their danger sence flare(You know...the whole Half-freeze-slight over-the-shoulder-look-thing people do in the manga) even when they should have no clue something is coming. I mean, people have been shown sitting, eating or talking or whatever and then, BAM! Danger pose! Or people are flying trough the trees chasing after someone(about every arc) and suddenly BAM! Danger pose last second dodge of that shuriken that was aimed at their back from somewhere noone could see...and that's with people without any of the dojutsu(including Naruto). The idea that someone with the Sharingan activated has an advantage, maybe from noticing a shadow on the ground that's wrong or something...well it's as plausable as the "Danger Pose".

Also, my comment on "Natural Armor"(which I didn't give the BL) was in quotes for a reason. It wouldn't have been an actuall natural armor bonus if I did give it to the 'Line, it would have been a Dodge, or maybe even an inherant bonus like a monk's. But as I gave the Dex bonus, it plausable that he'd get the +1 armor from Dex anyway, so no need to double up like that.

I know he can't see the future, but a skilled user can mimic someones actions well enough, and read their body language and movements well enough, that with suficent experience and skill (like Kakashi) they can make it look like their predicting, or reading, the future. Any comments about that are based on that assumption/