PDA

View Full Version : Zombies fans in the Playground

Caracol
2008-05-30, 04:44 PM
Because Zombies kick ass.

I would like this thread to be a gathering of all the Playgrounders that just love zombie movies, books, games or wathever it is. It could be a place to discuss about zombie stuff, and to suggest good movies/books to everybody or rant about what zombie-related stuff you didn't liked.

Come on, like Tsukiko, let's show our (figurative) love for the Undeads!!!

Phase
2008-05-30, 05:37 PM
I posted this over in random banter, might as well post it here.

Best thing to do in a zombie attack? Well, logic says one of three things will happen.

1. The zombies hunger for flesh, any flesh at all. In this case, the zombies will devour each other. No worries.

2. The zombies require living flesh. In this case, just stand among them and imitate them. They're the living dead, they can't be that smart. Eventually they starve to re-death. No worries.

3. The zombies require living flesh and can detect it with zombie powers. In this case, just move at an average speed of two miles per hour.

Shadowcaller
2008-05-30, 05:47 PM
I posted this over in random banter, might as well post it here.

Best thing to do in a zombie attack? Well, logic says one of three things will happen.

1. The zombies hunger for flesh, any flesh at all. In this case, the zombies will devour each other. No worries.

2. The zombies require living flesh. In this case, just stand among them and imitate them. They're the living dead, they can't be that smart. Eventually they starve to re-death. No worries.

3. The zombies require living flesh and can detect it with zombie powers. In this case, just move at an average speed of two miles per hour.

But if they are the super-fast type of zombies like in 28 days later, or can't starve to death for some unexplained reason?

Innis Cabal
2008-05-30, 05:48 PM
zombies win by getting flesh, dragging you down, or infecting you through wounds, football helmet and skin tight clothing. Those who dont have the body for it will be forgiven as its a life or death matter

Pie Guy
2008-05-30, 05:58 PM
Zombies... are awsome. My avatar proves it.

@Phase: The zombies don't stop for rest or food or anything, They just keep moving.

WalkingTarget
2008-05-30, 06:43 PM
I like the idea of zombie films/books/games. Like much other horror stuff, it's ridiculously easy to do poorly. Gore-horror is more acceptable in this film genre than in some of the others, in my opinion, but there are still limits as to how much of it I put up with.

Fast zombies were an interesting idea for something new, but I hope that they don't become the standard. Zombies aren't scary because they can get to you quickly, they're scary because there are so many of them and they're relentless.

The Zombie Survival Guide is almost required reading these days. I thoroughly enjoyed the follow up novel World War Z.

I've, unfortunately, been unable to participate in a session of the All Flesh Must Be Eaten RPG, but the book was entertaining. I also like the Zombies!!! board game.

Innis Cabal
2008-05-30, 06:52 PM
i was really dissapointed with the zombie survival guide. Its not so much a survival guide for zombies, its a survival guide for the zombies in his world, and frankly, thats not what i was looking for.

Brickwall
2008-05-30, 07:03 PM
You mean these zombies? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiJa8PgHi-g

If not, well, then I'm not so much a fan.

WalkingTarget
2008-05-30, 07:06 PM
i was really dissapointed with the zombie survival guide. Its not so much a survival guide for zombies, its a survival guide for the zombies in his world, and frankly, thats not what i was looking for.

Hmm...

A valid criticism. There are enough variations on zombies to make an all-encompassing guide difficult to keep coherent (slow/fast, any flesh/only brains, supernatural/biological, etc). I treated it as a stand-alone work so wasn't exactly expecting it to apply to all cases (the vendor at GenCon that I bought it from explained that to me ahead of time). When the guy later wrote a narrative that used his rules it made it easier as he didn't have to spell out how everything worked.

Innis Cabal
2008-05-30, 07:08 PM
I was told it was a guide to survive a zombie attack, i figured, wrongly i know, that it was more of an all encompassing look at just what to do with certain situations. Not that its a bad book, i did buy it in the end, but when i went through it i was thinking "well this is all just a little...presumptious....." sense he only talked about one kind of zombie

SuperMuldoon
2008-05-31, 01:19 AM
Zombie sneak attack!

*ahem* Zombies are rad. I met George Romero and he autographed my Dawn of the Dead dvd. World War Z is awesome.

The big question for all the zombie lovers, since I know we have all had the discussion of "what would you do if the zombie apocalypse happened" is: If you had the power to start the zombie apocalypse, would you do it?

2xSlick
2008-05-31, 02:20 AM
You mean these zombies? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiJa8PgHi-g

If not, well, then I'm not so much a fan.

Pfft, I laugh at your pathetic dancing zombies. Now these are real zombies! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbvP7dT3Dx0&feature=related

StGlebidiah
2008-05-31, 02:27 AM
I fluv zombies!

Regarding what I would do in a zombie attack: I would shamble around and eat whatever it is that the zombies are eating... because I would be one!

It's part of my universal zombie theory: in every zombie movie I've seen, none of the protagonists has any freakin' clue what a zombie is (notable exception being Land of the Dead, where they had lived with zombies for a while, but still didn't have a clue about what the zombies actually were or were becoming or were capable of). This leads me to the conclusion that, in the event of a zombie apocalypse, anyone who has any idea what a zombie is or what to do about it will inevitably be the first to turn into a zombie! So we're all borked.

Caracol
2008-05-31, 04:23 AM

Morbo says : ZOMBIES DON'T WORK THAT WAY!:smallbiggrin:
1st statement is not true (at least, in all the movie and books don't work): zombies eat only living flesh, and they ignore each other. In some movies they are even more specific in their taste, and eat only human brains!
2nd statement worked only in Shaun of the Dead (hilarious movie by the way, has anyone seen it?) and only for little time: the zombies eventually found out the survivors and attacked them.
3rd statement assumes that they stop and rest as much as you do, but no movie has represented zombies resting or tired. This means that if you stop for the night, they eventually reach you, not to mention that when you stop to rest there's ALWAYS others wandering in the area.

Fast zombies were an interesting idea for something new, but I hope that they don't become the standard. Zombies aren't scary because they can get to you quickly, they're scary because there are so many of them and they're relentless.

I don't like the idea of fast zombies. Zombies are (supposed to be) a representation of modern day numbness and auto-destruction behaviour that humans have nowadays. That's why you can see thesr movies as social commentary, other than gory movies.
Zombies are cool because they are soo many, they are slow and stupid but eventually will eat everyone or infect the last survivors. That's why they are scary. Fast zombies are more like unstoppable raging predators: what can they represent in this case? I don't know, but I suspect that they made them that way only because they are more suitable for fast-paced action scenes that are the only thing that Hollywood wants to do.
I hope they stop with this trend, is becoming annoying.

Yes, that's the problem of the guide. I enjoyed the first and the last part, but the equipment part was made with American readers in mind. Max Brooks himself states, somewhere in the WWZ book, that "a guy made a survival guide, but it was good only for american, other people in the world didn't understand all the references to SUV and weapons", so we can say that he understood his mistakes.
Many sections of the guide are useless for me. I don't have that kind of weapons and tools, many buildings and facilities are completely different than the standard american ones, and the terrain analysis don't work in a place like Italy when almost everything is urban enviroment. The best anti-zombie weapon that I can use by now is my wooden kendo stick.

I enjoyed WWZ, it's a great book, sure, has it's limits (too patriotic, too "I trust the American-way"), and I would have preferred the first part (about the virus spread and the chaos) to be longer, but so far is the most realistic depiction of a zombie outbreak I've seen.

hanzo66
2008-05-31, 04:48 AM
Read the Zombie Survival Guide and liked it. Found it fun that the author also happens to be Mel Brooks' son.

Arang
2008-05-31, 05:05 AM
I would like to be recorded saying that I loathe the undead.

I even have a plan.

ghost_warlock
2008-05-31, 05:25 AM
I love zombie movies.

I also own a kukri. Just. In. Case.

Hoggy
2008-05-31, 09:24 AM
I have been a fan of Zombies ever since a good friend introduced me to Resident Evil 2, aged 10. I now have a Zombie fetish.

No kukri, but I do have a shuriken. Also, a guitar would be fun to wrap around undeadhead, though I would miss it terribly (both Zombie and guitar). Also, can of deodorant+duct tape+lighter in my room = DIY flamethrower, not to kill Zombies, but just because a flaming Zombie would make an EPIC pic on my cameraphone. Also, farming community = lots of sharp/shooty things.

I wub Zombies.

Irenaeus
2008-05-31, 02:03 PM
Even thoughI prefer Voodoo-zombies to Romero zombies, i think both are great fun, and really like movies about either of them.

Strangely enough, I think Shaun of the Dead is simultaneously the best zombie move and zombie movie parody ever made.

Szilard
2008-05-31, 04:02 PM
Zombies move at 1 mile per hour but always manage to catche up to you.

Mr. Scaly
2008-05-31, 07:07 PM
Zombie Ninjas!

StGlebidiah
2008-05-31, 07:18 PM
I don't like the idea of fast zombies. Zombies are (supposed to be) a representation of modern day numbness and auto-destruction behaviour that humans have nowadays. That's why you can see thesr movies as social commentary, other than gory movies.
Zombies are cool because they are soo many, they are slow and stupid but eventually will eat everyone or infect the last survivors. That's why they are scary. Fast zombies are more like unstoppable raging predators: what can they represent in this case? I don't know, but I suspect that they made them that way only because they are more suitable for fast-paced action scenes that are the only thing that Hollywood wants to do.
I hope they stop with this trend, is becoming annoying.

28 Days Later used fast zombies to great effect to say some pretty damning things about humanity. That movie wasn't so much social commentary as a study of the collapse of civilization and civilized behaviour. Note how the hero character was essentially acting like a rage zombie when he attacked the army base to rescue his friends - for me that was the climax of the movie.

28 Weeks Later was just a blatant cash grab that didn't really say anything about anything, however =/

FoE
2008-05-31, 07:25 PM
Zombies move at 1 mile per hour but always manage to catch up to you.

Because you never see people encounter zombies in open fields, and they attack in large numbers, cutting off your escape.

In any case, anyone who watches zombie movies knows that zombies are only marginally dangerous. The real danger is the idiot right next to you, the one who is:

1) hiding the fact he was bitten by a zombie
2) doesn't like you because of the colour of your skin or your sexuality;
3) wants all the women to himself
4) thinks it would be better if he were in charge, even though he's an idiot
5) believes the zombies are God's way of smiting us
6) believes that his son, daughter, wife or girlfriend can be cured of the zombie virus one day and is keeping them around until then.

As soon as you identify one or more of these traits in a fellow survivor, shoot him. He's only going to open the mall doors and get eaten by the zombies anyways.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-05-31, 07:37 PM
I love what zombies can do for a game. I want to play Dead Rising. I want people to get over the vaguely biased opinion that zombies should only be slow and stupid or are otherwise no longer zombies. I think Shaun of the Dead should get more air-time and wish I had a pub nearby. That is all.

FoE
2008-05-31, 07:37 PM
Hey, who here likes the idea of plant zombies? (http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?&id=83908) Zakama suggested the idea in another thread and I essentially adapted the idea.

Essentially, plant zombies would not be true zombies, but rather corpses animated through attaching a certain type of plant to them. Perhaps their bodies could be wrapped in vines or sprouting leaves. They could still gain energy from water and sunlight, but the plants themselves are incapable of recieving nutrients from the soil, which is why they must attach to other organisms and feed on flesh. They also reproduce through spores introduced in a bite.

This would make zombies less susceptible to headshots but more susceptible to fire.

@V: I remember Yellow Musk Zombies! But weren't those more "protect the plant" animated guardians rather than flesh-eating zombies? Also, as my link shows, Wizards beat me to it with the Golgari, who "don't bury their dead. They plant them."

@VV: Agreed. Shaun of the Dead is easily one in the top 10 zombie movies ever made.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-05-31, 07:43 PM
I think D&D might have beaten it to you with Yellow Musk Zombies and Yellow Musk Creepers. It's a good idea though.

Phase
2008-05-31, 09:11 PM
I saw Shaun of the Dead today on comedy central.

Awesome.

Innis Cabal
2008-05-31, 09:13 PM
Greatest Zombie Movie Ever.

Deathcow
2008-05-31, 09:49 PM
Also, can of deodorant+duct tape+lighter in my room = DIY flamethrower, not to kill Zombies, but just because a flaming Zombie would make an EPIC pic on my cameraphone.

Haha, that made me laugh.

Moff Chumley
2008-06-01, 12:20 PM
The Zombies are awesome. Completely revolutionized british invasion music, imo. The Way I Feel Inside gives me chills whenever I hear it. And who can deny the sixtiesness of Time of The Season? Yup, The Zombies are terrific.

FoE
2008-06-02, 12:26 AM
The Zombies are awesome. Completely revolutionized british invasion music, imo. The Way I Feel Inside gives me chills whenever I hear it. And who can deny the sixtiesness of Time of The Season? Yup, The Zombies are terrific.

Wah-wah-wah-wah-waaaaaaaaaaaah. :smalltongue:

Zombie-fan poll! Do you prefer flesh-eating zombies or brain-eating zombies?

It's the former for me, if for only because the brain-eating variety seem to talk (which is just ridiculous) and cracking open a human skull with your teeth just isn't feasible. Tearing off flesh at least makes a little more sense.

(Also, I wish more people would comment on my plant-zombie idea. Please, if it's bad, I must know!) :smallfrown:

Caracol
2008-06-02, 03:57 AM
Flesh eating zombies. I didn't even watched a movie about brain eater zombies so far.
The idea of a plant zombie is not bad, why don't you try to make a DnD monster about it? There's never enough zombie-like monsters in games (I don't like how zombies are represented in DnD. They don't have a bite attack or a way to spread the infection, wich makes them lame)

How about zombie webcomics? I only know Last Blood (http://www.lastblood.net/) and Zombie Hunters (http://www.thezombiehunters.com/). First one is not-that-bad, even if the stereotypes in that comic overwhelmes me sometimes. The second is way too anime to be taken seriously (by me at least, I like anime but NOT that kind of anime), but has a good section about different types of zombies that would be perferct for any RPG.

2xSlick
2008-06-02, 01:36 PM
Wah-wah-wah-wah-waaaaaaaaaaaah. :smalltongue:

Zombie-fan poll! Do you prefer flesh-eating zombies or brain-eating zombies?

It's the former for me, if for only because the brain-eating variety seem to talk (which is just ridiculous) and cracking open a human skull with your teeth just isn't feasible. Tearing off flesh at least makes a little more sense.

(Also, I wish more people would comment on my plant-zombie idea. Please, if it's bad, I must know!) :smallfrown:

Brainers myself. They tend to have a better internal logic. The flesh eaters are shown as being strong enough to pull off heads and rip people in half, yet they are constantly hampered by pathetic barricades. With the head muchers it's just the teeth that are overpowered.

I'm not sure what to make of the plant zombies. I can only think of one movie that had scary plants- [i]Night of the Triffids[i]. But that was only scary because 99% of the world's population goes blind. But planting the dead is always cool.