PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew D&D Wargaming

Odin the Ignoble
2008-05-31, 09:28 AM
I was thinking of drawing up some rules for playing out Massed Combat in D&D.
Do Any of you have suggestions?

My basic idea was to have each unit of an army function like character. Combat would (for the most part) run like a normal combat. Units would get bonuses for flanking maneuvers and other tactical advantages like having the high ground. A Unit of twenty kobolds would fight a unit of twenty orcs in the same way a single koblold and orc would fight. I was thinking that each individual battle would have a 'standard unit size.' Units with larger numbers would have stat bonuses and smaller units would have stat penalties.

There are some problems that I keep running into:
First off how would you handle moral? Would it be some derived from wis and int stats? Would the charisma of the units leader have an effect? Should a separate Morale Stat be set up?

Secondly, How would individual characters be used? Would they function like individual units with significant unit size stat penalties? What if they are part of a unit?

How should magic be handled? My first idea was to have any spell cast by a individual have a standard unit size penalties, but what about spells that effect multiple targets normally?

The last problem I have is establishing what can and cannot be included in an army. What I mean is if each player has 1,000,000 gp to hire soldiers how do you determine the relative value of a unit? Should pricing be based on the creatures chalenge rating?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Neftren
2008-05-31, 09:35 AM
Check out Heroes of Battle. They have some interesting methods of handling "large battlefield warfare".

UserClone
2008-05-31, 09:35 AM
Buy Heroes of Battle. (edit: THE NINJAS!)Alternatatively, buy The Quintessential Warrior. Or, you could buy D&D Miniatures. Call me lazy, but it's been done. That having been said, I wish you the best of luck, and if yours is better, I'll happily steal it for an war-based campaigns I might run.:smallsmile:

SolkaTruesilver
2008-05-31, 09:56 AM
Buy Heroes of Battle. (edit: THE NINJAS!)Alternatatively, buy The Quintessential Warrior. Or, you could buy D&D Miniatures. Call me lazy, but it's been done. That having been said, I wish you the best of luck, and if yours is better, I'll happily steal it for an war-based campaigns I might run.:smallsmile:

I am not sure about Heroes of Battle. It's not made out so the players can command large army and win the war, but rather the players are a small commando task force winning some critical strategic moment to win the battle.

There is absolutely no rule about "how an orc infantry led by a high-level barbarian would fare charging the elven archers led by a wizard". the DM have to decide prior to the event how the whole thing is supposed to ends up, and how the PCs can influence the outcome.

UserClone
2008-05-31, 10:10 AM
True, but it has a system for Morale Checks, it has a Victory Point framework, etc. It's definitely a starting point for that type of game, and would be excellent for a crossover between D&D and whatever the OP comes up with.

Griffin131
2008-05-31, 10:11 AM
http://birthright.net/ is all about kingdoms fighting one another... they have mass combat rules.

Matthew
2008-05-31, 10:13 AM
There's also the book from Monte Cook, Cry Havoc (http://www.montecook.com/mpress_Havoc.html), not to mention numerous attempts in the Homebrew Forums.

Odin the Ignoble
2008-05-31, 10:47 AM
As far as alternative source books I'm kinda strapped for cash. (insert sad face)

I was planing on basing the rules on the mass combat section of the Hero System Fantasy book.

The main purpose of the home brew rules is to me able to play out massed combat with the PCs without having to deal with individual small scale combats. say one PC has taken a position in the right flank and another in the vanguard. They could both play out their effect on the battle without having to run two individual unrelated combats. It would also allow high level PCs to treat groups of low level monsters as a single enemy for combat purposes. Ideally the transition between massed combat and smaller encounters would be seamless.

Griffin131
2008-05-31, 12:46 PM
As far as alternative source books I'm kinda strapped for cash. (insert sad face)
Birthright isnt an alternative source book - its a free download. Although, the movement between large and small scale wont be seamless.