PDA

View Full Version : Is my Signature too big?

Ionizer
2008-05-31, 09:52 AM
I just read over the New avatar and signature rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=39) link at the top of the page, and I think my signature is within those guidelines, but I figured "Better safe than sorry." If someone can tell me whether or not I can keep this sig, that would great. If it's too big, I'll just resize it.

Thanks in advance.

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-31, 10:07 AM
Nah, your sig is fine. :D Mine's much bigger.

Ionizer
2008-05-31, 10:10 AM
Thanks! Appreciate the quick reply, too.

Bayar
2008-05-31, 10:21 AM
Actually, it isnt. Images ahve to be 120 pixels high. Yours is 150. A quick resize and it wil be OK. Heh, Ionizer. That is kickass.

Solo
2008-05-31, 10:26 AM
And, may I ask, how is mine?

Ionizer
2008-05-31, 10:30 AM
All better?

AmberVael
2008-05-31, 10:40 AM
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/sjunderw/Other/signature.png
That block is 180 pixels tall and 468 pixels wide. That is supposedly about the size your signature is supposed to be, max, with the tallest image being 120px, with the addition of four lines of unspaced text.

Let me make some conversions here.

One line (in size 2 forum font) = 15 pixels of height.
A spoiler with no spaces around it = two lines (30 pixels)

Considering the way they posted the rules, I'm pretty sure that blank spaces between lines count as lines as well.

Edit: also note that lines of text can exceed the 468 pixels in width as long as they do not wrap.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-31, 11:39 AM
Right, given the metric of 120 px == 8 lines, the 12 line total limit comes to about 180 pixels. If you've got a tool that can measure pixels on the screen, it becomes easier to figure out if your sig exceeds that maximum.

Interestingly enough, almost everyone who replied to this thread has a sig over 180 pixels tall according to my screen ruler. So you guys might want to double check your sigs.

Animated Gifs may also pose a problem.

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-05-31, 11:54 AM
Interestingly enough, almost everyone who replied to this thread has a sig over 180 pixels tall according to my screen ruler. So you guys might want to double check your sigs.

Animated Gifs may also pose a problem.
Comrade Gorby: Yes. :smalltongue: Solo, Mauve, and Bayar all need to do some reduction, and Solo, you need to remove the animated .gifs.

Blank lines count towards the limit. A spoiler counts as two lines. A 120px height image essentially counts as 8 lines. Add it all up, and you shouldn't have more than 12 lines showing (when spoilers are closed).

As a note, we determine the number of lines in a sig based on a 1024x768 resolution.

Bayar
2008-05-31, 11:57 AM
Ah, then I will just erase the blank space in my sig.

Edit: Cant seem to erase a blank space in my sig. The one under the spoiler.

skywalker
2008-05-31, 01:32 PM
Ah, then I will just erase the blank space in my sig.

Edit: Cant seem to erase a blank space in my sig. The one under the spoiler.

Pretty sure it's a function of the board software to insert a blank line beneath spoilers and quotes and things in boxes like that.

Lord Ike
2008-05-31, 01:40 PM
Is mine OK?

AmberVael
2008-05-31, 01:43 PM
It seems, skywalkerThat your analysisIs flawed.

skywalker
2008-05-31, 02:01 PM
It seems, skywalkerThat your analysisIs flawed. Somewhat. However, for instance, I cannot remove the space between the quotes in my sig. It is literally impossible, by any means I know, to get that little line to disappear.

I concede the spoiler point, tho.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-01, 02:28 AM
Is there a limit on how much lines there may be in spoilers? It wasn't said in the new rules.

Rawhide
2008-06-01, 02:38 AM
Is there a limit on how much lines there may be in spoilers? It wasn't said in the new rules.

The size of images were specified. The number of lines of text is not that important, just be reasonable.

Castaras
2008-06-01, 02:43 AM
In a 1024x768? Dang.

*goes and changes resolution to check her sig is fine*

Just within the limits *whew* Better get any storm dragons out of my sig asap when I get them then...

Rawhide
2008-06-01, 07:40 AM
Please be aware that the 1024x768 that gorbash mentioned is a guide only. ie. People at that resolution might not have the window full screened.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-06-04, 10:29 AM
Please be aware that the 1024x768 that gorbash mentioned is a guide only. ie. People at that resolution might not have the window full screened.
Yeah, about that…

I seem to remember there being a time when having my window just a few pixels short of maximized at 1024 wide would create the Horizontal Scroll of Doom™. But now it seems I can get it down to 864 or so pixels before that sets in.

Has there been a small-monitor-friendly change to the way layout is managed or am I just crazy and mis-remembering things?

Beholder1995
2008-06-04, 12:18 PM
This seems like a good place to mention this question.

Why can't I have more than 500 characters in my signature? It also says that I can't have more than five images in my sig. Why is that? Sooo.... yeah.

EDIT::: And while I'm at it, is my signature too big?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-06-04, 12:44 PM
Many people find overly-large signatures to be an annoyance. Especially when they get so big that they are regularly bigger than the posts to which they are attached.

It's just a place to "sign off" on your post (hence the name, "signature") and maybe add a little personal touch. It is not a place for a comprehensive profile of yourself. There is no need to make a large and monstrous signature.

And, yes, your signature's about a line and a half too big.

NerfTW
2008-06-04, 04:55 PM
I recall a signature in one forum that was an entire screen tall, containing simply cast pictures of Buffy, Star Trek (one of them), Farscape, and at least two others, with the words "MY SIG IS ONLY ONE IMAGE AND WITHIN THE LIMITS, SO MODS, STOP *deleted for this board* WITH IT!!!!"

While an extreme example, you see where he went wrong, right?

You don't need a novel in your signature. Very few people care, especially if you're a prolific poster and they see your list of homebrews five times on every page.

Zherog
2008-06-05, 10:08 AM
* begins twitching *

Lady Tialait
2008-06-05, 02:05 PM
I belive mine is fine, just checking tho.

AmberVael
2008-06-05, 02:41 PM
Actually, it isn't fine.

Max height within spoilers is 300 pixels, and you surpass that with your first spoiler by 5 pixels.

I am unsure whether the spoiler limit applies to each spoiler in your signature or is a limit overall for all images in all spoilers- if it is a 300 pixel limit for all spoilers, that second image puts your far over.
Maybe we could get a mod ruling?

Lord Iames Osari
2008-06-05, 02:52 PM
I'm pretty sure my sig is okay, but I figure it can't hurt to ask for confirmation.