PDA

View Full Version : Pretender Gods ITP?

Rutee
2008-05-31, 01:03 PM
Anyone else besides me and Poison Fish play Dominions at all? Kinda been wondering about that lately. Plus 3.17 introduced Judaic Myth and I kinda wanna try out the Flaming Jesus Wheels against someone.. XD

Oregano
2008-05-31, 01:26 PM
I've never heard of Dominion but you've piqued my interest. Could you provide any information? I may very well play it sometime.

Rutee
2008-05-31, 02:10 PM
The game is Dominions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominions_3:_The_Awakening). Most of the nations are based on myth or history, taken to a fantastical (And awesome, as referenced by the Flaming Jesus Wheels) extent, though it's old and the graphics are /awful/.

Poison_Fish
2008-05-31, 02:14 PM
When we are talking about Dominions, we are specifically talking about Dominions 3 (http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/Dom3/1.htm). It's a fun game, but a very high learning curve in my opinion. They do have a demo you can download and try out for free here (http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/Dom3/6.htm).

Rutee
2008-05-31, 02:39 PM
Yeah, it's a pretty insane learning curve.. Manageable, but high. The hardest part is sitting down and reading the entire spell list, I think. Maybe trying them out by summoning..

The game's divided into 3 Ages. The Early Age is focused on magic, with the troops being lighter and wearing less armor, the LAte Age is focused on man, with the different mages being weaker, there being less magic, and the magical beings of the various mages are less common and less magical.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-05-31, 02:58 PM
I'm sad to say that, while I know the game, its only from a Lets Play on another forum, and I've never played it myself.

Oregano
2008-05-31, 03:00 PM
Hmm, sounds good, I enjoy a challenge aswell. Aslong as you can be Vikings/Norse/Asgardian people it's awesome in my opinion.

I'll buy it if I see it anywhere. I don't think I'll be getting it soon though, I don't need something else distracting me from my GCSEs.:smallannoyed:

EDIT:btw, What's your avatar Rutee, I could have sworn I'd seen it somewhere before?

Rutee
2008-05-31, 03:19 PM
There's like, 3 Norse Nations. Niefelheim in Early Age is Ice Giants, and they have descendants in Middle and I think Late Ages. Vanheim is the Vanir and their human servants, and they have descendants in the middle and Late Ages (I think Bogarus in Late Age is descended from them as well). Helheim is the Norse servants of the dead, Early Age only. You can order it from Shrapnel games, I'm sure.

And it's Konata cosplaying as Klan Klan from Macross, aptly called "Kon Kon".

Inhuman Bot
2008-05-31, 08:53 PM
Ah dominions. The new one sucks, if I'am thinking of the right series. The rest was fun though.

Rutee
2008-06-01, 08:29 AM
I don't think you are.. Dominions 3 is literally identical to Dominions 2, with a few new nations (Most of /those/ were patched in, to boot).

But that does answer my question. There aren't many people who play it here.. oh well.

Shovah
2008-06-01, 10:24 AM
Does it count if I don't play that much any more?
Used to be into it(and the community) alot, but just occasionally play single player now.

endoperez - I only see him in "Favorite Game" threads(where he always mentions dominions before me) plays(or atleast played) too.

Rutee/Poison, are you guys members of the official dominions community? And(haven't checked) is the new patch out yet?

SolkaTruesilver
2008-06-01, 02:27 PM
Alright, I just borrowing from my friend, and lemme say:

this game has not learning curve,
it's a learning cliff!!!!!

Shovah
2008-06-01, 02:34 PM
Solka, you're right(although it's alot easier if you've played Dom2). If you haven't, I suggest joining the community(over at ShrapnelGames.com) - they help alot.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-06-01, 02:36 PM
well, thanks a lot, I'll take that into consideration. But, isn't there, like, a tutorial somewhere (in the game or on the net)? I will try to find a manual somewhere on the internet (my friend lost his), I think it will help me.

Shovah
2008-06-01, 03:10 PM
There's a tutorial in the manual(which is very handy), but the Forums, or the IRC channel(#dominions) would be your best bet. You could also get involved in a "Blitz" on the IRC server - a quick game lasting a few hours at most - to learn the ropes.

Also, anybody here who's looking to learn about the game, feel free to send me a PM. I can also go on IRC/Msn to help there - I've been looking for an excuse to get involved again and teaching somebody the basics could help with that.

Rutee
2008-06-01, 03:18 PM
Yeah, a Learning Cliff sounds accurate.

A few notes of interest:
1: Try and hire a mage every turn to research magic. Spells listed in blue are special and restricted somehow (All the asian countries get Pack of Tigers, but only say, Caelum will get Summon Yazata)
2: You can hire your national troops from any citadel you control Citadels also get bonuses to resources as you sieze control of the surrounding provinces.
3: Sacred Troops can be blessed by any priest. The effects of the Bless vary with your God's starting magic. High Water Magic will lead to more Defense, for instance.
4: Wounds matter. If a soldier takes a hit, there's a decent chance they'll take a lasting wound (Called an Affliction). It's possible to heal Afflictions, though somewhat difficult.
5: There are a lot of summons. I suggest a 1v1 with the computer, set on Easy/Defensive AI, if you want to explore the magic items and summons. Preferably in a nation with a lot of magic paths.

Shovah
2008-06-01, 03:55 PM
There is no in-game tutorial, I'm not sure about on the internet.
Also, you probably shouldn't mention that you don't have a manual(even if it is your friends) on the forums - that's what alot of pirates have said, so..

SolkaTruesilver
2008-06-01, 03:57 PM
There is no in-game tutorial, I'm not sure about on the internet.
Also, you probably shouldn't mention that you don't have a manual(even if it is your friends) on the forums - that's what alot of pirates have said, so..

That's a weird opinion (on their parts) since I just found a (pirated) manual on the internet.

But thanks a lot all. The reading (so far) is very interesting. The designers of this game really wanted to put some of themselves into it, it seems.

Shovah
2008-06-01, 04:01 PM
Well, the Pirates mostly mentioned the manual thing when they had CD-Key problems during multiplayer.

And yeah - the designers really put alot into the game. They still update it regularly, and also get involved with the community. Great guys.

Also, you can thank the(dominions 2) community that I don't talk like:
omg dom is sooo gud, its lik da best game evar

Well, don't talk like that most of the time :smallwink:

Shovah
2008-06-01, 04:03 PM
Double Post

Poison_Fish
2008-06-01, 05:18 PM
I've just joined the forums recently under poisonfish, but I've mostly been lurking.

Shovah
2008-06-01, 06:08 PM
Okay. I might come back - haven't been there in a while.
Hmm.. I wonder if we have any reincarnated Lord Bobs/Frank Trollmans... Would be fun.

Oh, and if anyone wants a Blitz(quick game, at the very most it would be a few hours) PM me - I can host, and if needed I can communicate on here/msn/email/IRC.

RationalGoblin
2008-06-01, 09:39 PM
I play the demo of Dominions 2 and 3, but I'm not too keen on fishing out $50 for Dominions 3, and $20 or so for Dominions 2. Howvever, I like both of them a lot. I prefer Agartha and Abysia.

mentatzarkon
2008-06-03, 01:13 PM
I didn't know about Dominions until I randomly read a review for the third one, and yes, I immediately shelled out the $50. Not only is this game totally fantastic, but the manual is actually a pretty good read. Takes me right back to 1996 when games still came in an actual box with an actual manual.

There is a brutal learning curve, but once you get past that it's a truly enjoyable game. My only complaint about it is that the AI isn't really worth the effort. If you want to really experience it properly you've got to play against actual humans.