PDA

View Full Version : Have you heard of Veoh ? No. What's that ?

Bayar
2008-05-31, 01:19 PM
Yeah. That will happen soon. Why? Because Veoh suddenly felt that they were giving more to the community than taking from it. So they decided to BLOCK a number of countries. Why ?

Unfortunately Veoh has ended service in your countries due to a low concentration of users. Veoh is maintaining service in countries when we have the highest concentration of viewers.

So that means that they are aiming for countries that have a lot of viewers. Why ? Use your imagination.

The list of countries that got blocked. It is updated regularly:
1. Antigua and Barbuda
2. Argentina
3. Bermuda
4. Brazil
5. Bulgaria
6. Cayman Islands
7. Chile
8. Colombia
9. Costa Rica
10. Croatia
11. Cyprus
12. Czech Republic
13. Dominican Republic
14. Egypt
15. El Savaldor
16. Guadeloupe
17. Guam
18. Guatemala
19. Hungary
20. Iceland
21. Indonesia
22. Iran
23. Jamaica
24. Jordan
25. Latvia
26. Lithuania
27. Luxembourg
28. Malaysia
29. Malta
30. Mauritius
31. Morocco
32. Panama
33. Peru
34. Puerto Rico
35. Romania
36. Saudi Arabia
37. Serbia
38. Slovakia
39. Slovenia
40. Sri Lanka
41. Tanzania
42. Thailand
43. Trinidad and Tobago
44. Turkey
45. United Arab Emirates
46. Venezuela

Please do not flame or say something against the Gitp Code of conduct. This thread was created only to comment this event in a friendly way.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-31, 03:36 PM
No I haven't ever heard of it, I decided to check it out though.

It says that I can't view it because I'm Dutch. (The Netherlands) which is btw not on your list.

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-31, 06:32 PM
Pheww, worried it was gonna get a UK ban there.

I sympathise with the people in the countries who are losing it though. It was the only way I got to watch the last episode of Season one of x-men evolution.

Fostire
2008-05-31, 11:04 PM
That list is pretty much all of south america. Weird Uruguay isnt there its much smaller than many countries on that list.
EDIT: just tried to enter and it says veoh is no longer available in uruguay.

Madmal
2008-05-31, 11:17 PM
Darn it... Veoh was way better at showing anime than youtube...

TRM
2008-06-01, 08:34 AM
How much does it cost to stream videos over the internet into a country?

I'm trying to figure out the rationale behind this, the best way not to get more customers in a country is by removing service there, so what can they possibly gain from this?

My thoughts are (and I'm brainstorming, so hang with me):

Too expensive, in technology costs.
Too expensive in labor costs to... maintain... :smallconfused:
Conspiracy!!!! They hate all the countries on the list!!!
:smalltongue:

Anyone want to help me out here?

thubby
2008-06-01, 08:49 AM
How much does it cost to stream videos over the internet into a country?

I'm trying to figure out the rationale behind this, the best way not to get more customers in a country is by removing service there, so what can they possibly gain from this?

My thoughts are (and I'm brainstorming, so hang with me):

Too expensive, in technology costs.
Too expensive in labor costs to... maintain... :smallconfused:
Conspiracy!!!! They hate all the countries on the list!!!
:smalltongue:

Anyone want to help me out here?

2 reasons i know of. the countries are evil and censoring (doubt it)
or they are cutting down band width and to avoid pissing off their main audience they are cutting off other countries.

Bayar
2008-06-01, 12:50 PM
2 reasons i know of. the countries are evil and censoring (doubt it)
or they are cutting down band width and to avoid pissing off their main audience they are cutting off other countries.

Please. France censoring ? Hungary censoring? all the other countries censoring ? Every one of them at exactly the same time? And why would some sites (or whatever they are) censor it? An example would be annonymous or whatever it is called.

The second reason is more plausible, but switch main audience with "the biggest concentration of paying audience".

FdL
2008-06-01, 01:38 PM
Probably has to do with advertising.

Personally I've never used it, but it was a good alternative to downloading episodes.

Bleh.

Syka
2008-06-01, 01:59 PM
I didn't like Veoh. I've been using www.tv-links.cc and www.ovguide.com when TV-links doesn't have what I need. Between them, I get all the TV shows I missed, movies, etc. All without downloading a thing.

Veoh...eh, just didn't like it. It was a lot harder to navigate in my opinion (although OVGuide takes a little bit of getting used to as well).

Cheers,
Syka

Bayar
2008-06-02, 05:08 AM
I didn't like Veoh. I've been using www.tv-links.cc and www.ovguide.com when TV-links doesn't have what I need. Between them, I get all the TV shows I missed, movies, etc. All without downloading a thing.

Veoh...eh, just didn't like it. It was a lot harder to navigate in my opinion (although OVGuide takes a little bit of getting used to as well).

Cheers,
Syka

The only problem with this is that the movies are streamed from Veoh. So that means still no acces.

MrEdwardNigma
2008-06-02, 05:18 AM
No I haven't ever heard of it, I decided to check it out though.

It says that I can't view it because I'm Dutch. (The Netherlands) which is btw not on your list.

How bizarre. It works perfectly fine over here on the other side of the Dutch-Belgian border.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-06-02, 05:22 AM
Great program. I feel sorry for you guys :frown:

Stupid idea, but would a proxy help? Although I'm too computer illiterate to be able to set one up.

Bayar
2008-06-02, 12:29 PM
We know ways to defeat the system, like using programs to change our country IP. but it's not worth it. Let them block us. They suck for doing it.

Haruki-kun
2008-06-02, 12:50 PM
I'd heard of Veoh....

But I can't believe they'd do something like this. And it's such a great program, too. :smallfrown:

I guess it's a matter of time before Mexico gets blocked, too.

Brickwall
2008-06-02, 01:02 PM
Veoh? I steal all my anime from it, but thassit.

Syka
2008-06-02, 03:27 PM
I'm pretty sure TV-Links and OVGuide both provide multiple links from varying sites for most movies. One sight I seem to be getting a lot of my shows streamed from is 56.com or something via OVGuide for Burn Notice. It's...like an Asian YouTube.

But there should be more than one link to any one movie, not all hosted through Veoh. My links rarely take me to Veoh, if at all.

Cheers,
Syka

Dryken
2008-06-02, 06:04 PM
Syka, thanks for reminding me that tv-links is back up! I had moved on since they got busted!

Bayar
2008-06-02, 06:09 PM
I'm pretty sure TV-Links and OVGuide both provide multiple links from varying sites for most movies. One sight I seem to be getting a lot of my shows streamed from is 56.com or something via OVGuide for Burn Notice. It's...like an Asian YouTube.

But there should be more than one link to any one movie, not all hosted through Veoh. My links rarely take me to Veoh, if at all.

Cheers,
Syka

They dont have for Bleach :smallfrown: But at least I find decent ones on YouTube.