PDA

View Full Version : Help my Wizard

HOVA
2008-05-31, 03:19 PM
Hello all,

I am in a SGoS (Slaughtergarde) campaign playing a know-it-all elf (I know, real original) wizard alongside a high elf beguiler, drow rogue/swashbuckler, and a halfling druid (shooting for halfling outrider).

Two of us have just hit sixth level and I'm in need of feat advice. I must pick a metamagic or item creation feat to meet requirements for my planned progression. I am having a hard time choosing between Empower and Extend Spell. I would most likely get more use out of Extend because I really don't use many damage dealing spells and it would be easier on my precious few spell slots. At the same time, I could probably obtain a rod of lesser extend in the very near future. Are there any uses of Empower that don't involve damage spells? At this point, I am content to use wands to deal damage rather than use up my spell slots.

Are there any other good metamagic feats out there I should be considering?

Here's my build:
Gray Elf Wizard 5/ Divine Oracle 2/ Loremaster 6/ Ruathar 3/ Fatespinner 4
Variants: Elf wizard subs - General Wizardry and Natural Link (RotW), Spontaneous Divination (CC)
Feats:
1. Scribe Sroll (wiz), Skill Focus (Know(Rel)) (flaw), Collegiate Wizard
3. Craft Wondrous Item
6. Extend or Empower Spell (or a different suggestion)

Our DM has hinted at running Red Hand of Doom after we finish up with Slaughtergarde.

Your opinions/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance! :smallbiggrin:

UserClone
2008-05-31, 03:23 PM
Empower works on ANY numerical component even partiallydetermined by a die roll. classic example: enervation.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-31, 03:42 PM
Yeah, take Empower.

Also, use it on Reincarnation. I wonder what critter you get if you roll a 130?

Kurald Galain
2008-05-31, 03:46 PM

That's easy - two halflings.

Seriously though, consider Sculpt Spell as an alternative, especially if, rather than damage spells, you use walls, greases and fog banks a lot. Failing that, if you have save-or-lose spells on your list, you can't go wrong with Improved Initiative.

kamikasei
2008-05-31, 03:48 PM

This chick (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/12/31/)?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-31, 03:48 PM
That's easy - two halflings.

Seriously though, consider Sculpt Spell as an alternative, especially if, rather than damage spells, you use walls, greases and fog banks a lot. Failing that, if you have save-or-lose spells on your list, you can't go wrong with Improved Initiative.

Nope, if you have Save or Loses in your list, you take Heighten. It's amazing how Stinking Cloud is still really useful when Heightened.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-31, 03:55 PM
This chick (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/12/31/)?

http://www.gorbashkazdar.com/demotivators/powerleveling.jpg

HOVA
2008-05-31, 04:03 PM

I have planned to sneak in Sculpt at some point or at least get a rod of it... too handy not to have!

But Sculpt does require to already have another metamagic feat to get, which I don't have at this point in the campaign.