PDA

View Full Version : 360 vs Ps3 vs Wii

Kizara
2008-05-31, 04:23 PM
So, I've been kicking around the idea of getting a next-gen system for a while now.

I have a PS2 currently, and have been pretty happy with it. So, I don't want to start a war here, and I just want some opinions on the various systems out there. Previously, I was a diehard Nintendo fan, grew up with an SNES and N64, etc. They kinda lost me with the gamecube.

What I want from a new system:

-Reliability. My PS2 OCCASIONALLY would freeze + crash, but it was quite rare. If my system has alot of issues (xbox), then I don't want the hassle. Period.

-Multiplayer. I play games pretty seriously, and have been playing DotA competitively for the last year. I don't like the team-based shooters at all, but I do like fighting games (Soul Calibur 3 still is played every week with my friend).

-Titles that include RPGs (FF), mecha games like Armored Core, and good fighting games. Btw, Soul Calibur 4 is garbage and a huge dissapointment, as me and my friend are almost obsessed with the series.

-Cost matters somewhat, I dont want to drop $1k here. $800 for an xbox + multiplayer attachments is not acceptable to me (+ game costs).

My friend has a Wii and swears by it and wants me to get one, although I'm not really crazy about the Wiimote, I prefer more direct control.

Anyways, I hope I gave you all some idea of what I'm looking for, any thoughts/opinions/testimonials? :)

Diggs
2008-05-31, 04:40 PM
Well alot of this is going to fall under personal preference, but here goes.

I have two of the three systems; Wii and 360

Personally I am not too big on the Wii; I got it mainly for my wife who isn't that big of a gamer. As a whole I don't care about any of the titles that come out and there is nothing on the way that really piques my interests. The Wiimotes can be alright at times but I prefer to have a traditional controller.

The 360 is my favorite by far. I look forward to alot of the titles that they have exclusives on, I find the controller to be the most comfortable of them all but I have big hands so I am not sure if that would be a concern for you at all. Though as much as I like I have had the red ring of death twice now, and I know some people that have had more then that, but the customer support has always been pretty helpful to me and I got them back within one and a half weeks.

I have no experience with online multiplayer on Wii, so I can’t comment on that. I enjoy the structure of live, I personally enjoy digital distribution, and Microsoft has been doing a decent job of it.

With the PS3, I just have no idea to be honest. I don't have one, and I don't want one. It just doesn't have anything that I am really excited about.

Theork
2008-05-31, 04:47 PM
I'd say that X-box and wii are the main contenders here.
Not to put the PS3 down, but it does cost a lot and the 360 offers good graphics too. I don't want to dish out $60 for a single game and all that money for a load of hardware I don't need.

Out of your points I'd say the following;

X-BOX360
- Can have reliance problems, with the red ring of death, but luckily microsoft is willing to help fix these problems from little to no fee's and so It's not a major concern
-Has better graphics than the wii. So we all know that graphics might not necesarily be judged on realism (Wind waker) but you can play more dedicated gamer games such as Call of Duty 4, as well as have a large variety.
-Familiar remote. Although it does have it's differences you could easily adapt from a PS2 remote to X-Box.
-It has an average cost
-You have to pay to get the best online experiance.
-It has been out for awihle and so is outdated by the wii and PS3.

Wii
-Great online play. It's simple to do, and most importantly is free, but often requies friend codes that means online play can be somewhat restricted.
-Has several upcoming games, but compared to the XBOX has much fewer hardcore gamer games available. From the mouth of Sarcastic gamer "Has it got a good game without an Italian plumber"?
-The handset is pretty neat. Although it could hamper button mashing combat games the fact you are now using a remote to interact with the screen can be cool.
-Is relativly cheap. The console costs the least and the games are inexpensive.

That's my two scents. Even though I have a wii i notice that It's not as bias as you might suspect. I have yet to play Mario kart and Super smash bro's but the Legend of Zelda twilight Princess was the first game I got and I can say It should be a mandatory buy! :smalltongue:
If you enjoyed the PS2 and liked the more combat orientated games I think the X-box might have the advantage. It can play good graphic games although you have to pay for the online. But still, consider the wii, as your friend is right, it is still a good gaming console.

Albub
2008-05-31, 05:15 PM
I just bought a PS3 two weeks ago, and I'm a fan. I got the 40 gig, so there isn't any backwards compatibility, but that's a non issue because I already have a PS2. The sixaxis controller is really light and comfortable in my hand, and being a mainly PC gamer anyway, the lack of rumble doesn't bother me. The free online is nice, though it isn't as well structured as live is. I only have 2 games for it, and one of them is cross platform, but Resistance: Fall of Man is an awesome shooter and in my opinion far better than the tripe that is Xbox exclusive. As for graphics, the Xbox owners here are only kidding themselves. The difference between the two systems is hugely noticeable. I also own a 360, and I can honestly say that if graphical power does matter to you, take the PS3.

As for cost, the 40 gig PS3 costs less than a 360 elite, but any other Xbox package will be less than a PS3. But if cost is an issue, you should probably pick up a wii, 'cause they're chep as a blep, and with twice the entice.

Geno9999
2008-05-31, 05:27 PM
I have just the Wii, and let me tell you, it's one of (if not the best) systems on the plant. I'm hooked playing Brawl and awaiting the Wiiware game; SBCG4AP (http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbcg4ap.html)!
Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 are good titles.

From my impression of other people (on the interwebs) who have a 360 is that the system dies, and some of them have a still working NES. FROM (about) 1986!!!

My pick of who's going to win in this console war is Wii or PS3, because HD dvds lost the dvd format war. and... 360s support hd dvds...

RoboticSheeple
2008-05-31, 05:39 PM
Based on your needs (fighting games and RPGs including system exclusive Final Fantasy) you want a PS3 period, anyone that says anything else is a fanboy.

Emperor Ing
2008-05-31, 05:47 PM
My pick of who's going to win in this console war is Wii or PS3, because HD dvds lost the dvd format war. and... 360s support hd dvds...

And you need a blu-ray player on your console...why?
Seriously. I DONT think anybody buys consoles so they can play their super special awesome blu-ray. I still watch regular DVDs, and quite frankly, I still think VHS casettes own all. :smallyuk:

Based on your needs (fighting games and RPGs including system exclusive Final Fantasy) you want a PS3 period, anyone that says anything else is a fanboy.
hmm, someone's sounding like they're trying to justify their 500+ dollar purchase. :smallamused:

DraPrime
2008-05-31, 05:54 PM
I won't bother reviewing the PS3 since I know almost nothing about it, and you said cost matters. Anyway, this is how I see it: Since you like the standard controller more than the Wii mote then you'll probably want a 360 more. You might not like the 360 very much because of the team based shooters, but there's other games with multiplayer that aren't team based shooters, such as the recently released GTA4 (has shooting, but that's not the main focus). Wii has the immortally awesome Brawl for multiplayer, so that might have more appeal to you. As far as RPGs go 360 wins easily. With games like Mass Effect and Oblivion at its side how could it lose there? Now the whole "360 always crashes" thing is over-hyped. That happened the most in the early days when it just came out. Most 360s sold now have this problem a lot less often. And if it does happen Microsoft will gladly repair it for free. The Wii wins as far as cost goes. The system is a bit cheaper, and so are the games. However, one thing about the wii that is more expensive is the remote. The regular remote plus the nunchuck addition (which you'll need) is $60. The 360 controller is a somewhat cheaper $50. But the Wii is still cheaper just because its online play is free, while it costs money on the 360. Xbox Live is damn good though, so it might be worth the money depending on how much you use it.

Anyway, it's your decision.

Oregano
2008-05-31, 05:54 PM
Xbox 360 has Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata and Infinite Undiscovery on the way and Fable 2 aswell.. There's RPGs covered and the Wii's getting some Final Fantasy as is the DS.

Another plus point is, You may be able to get a 360 and a Wii for the price of a PS3. I'd say go with the 360 and/or Wii.

Mando Knight
2008-05-31, 06:31 PM
So, I've been kicking around the idea of getting a next-gen system for a while now.

I have a PS2 currently, and have been pretty happy with it. So, I don't want to start a war here, and I just want some opinions on the various systems out there. Previously, I was a diehard Nintendo fan, grew up with an SNES and N64, etc. They kinda lost me with the gamecube.

Well, with the Wii's VC, you can "DO A BARREL ROLL!" on a controller whose control sticks aren't going to fail after 6 months of play...

-Reliability. My PS2 OCCASIONALLY would freeze + crash, but it was quite rare. If my system has alot of issues (xbox), then I don't want the hassle. Period.
My Wii only crashed once... and I have no idea as to why. The 360's gotten a lot better, and my old roommate's worked fine

-Multiplayer. I play games pretty seriously, and have been playing DotA competitively for the last year. I don't like the team-based shooters at all, but I do like fighting games (Soul Calibur 3 still is played every week with my friend).
Well, there is this little game called Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Wii... which can be played with the Classic Controller or Gamecube Controller...

-Titles that include RPGs (FF), mecha games like Armored Core, and good fighting games. Btw, Soul Calibur 4 is garbage and a huge dissapointment, as me and my friend are almost obsessed with the series.
FF has a few Wii titles, including a just-released WiiWare game (If you want FFXIII, though, you'll need to buy a PS3), and Fire Emblem 9 and 10 (Path of Radiance, a Gamecube game, and Radiant Dawn, which was made for the Wii) are decent tactical/strategy RPGs, if a bit Nintendo Hard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NintendoHard); Smash Bros. Brawl is an oddball fighting game (if you've played the others you know what I mean), and Bleach: Shattered Blade is a decent fighter (motion controls aren't as precise as I'd like, but still a decent fighter...), and there are the Naruto Clash of the Ninja Revolution games (1, 2's coming out soon. haven't played either one, though, and if you don't like the anime/manga...); However, there are no mecha games for the Wii that I know of... yet (Nintendo's been keeping a tight lid on the Wii games in development for the latter half of this year).

-Cost matters somewhat, I dont want to drop $1k here. $800 for an xbox + multiplayer attachments is not acceptable to me (+ game costs).
If cost is an issue, then the Wii may be the way to go. It costs half as much as either the Xbox 360 or the PS3, and new (not WiiWare) titles cost $10 less than 360 or PS3 ones. Also, online multiplayer is free...

My friend has a Wii and swears by it and wants me to get one, although I'm not really crazy about the Wiimote, I prefer more direct control.
Heh... I usually think of the Wiimote as the more direct control method. However, that's mostly because I have mostly first-party games, and Nintendo knows how to use its tech the best... I couldn't see any other way to play Metroid Prime 3. Many of the newer Wii games do allow Gamecube or Classic controller support, one is a $20 add-on to the Wiimote, the other a >$20 separate controller (I got the last two Nintendo-brand ones that my Wal-Mart stocked, (except for the ones in the now-$50 clearance Gamecubes) so I think that decent GC controllers may be more expensive now...)

I would give you a review of the other two systems, but I don't have them, nor do I have the money for them...

Icewalker
2008-05-31, 11:07 PM
My understanding, having a Wii and a PS3:

Wii

Unique
Good games, some very good multiplayer
Has some internet reliability issues, I believe.
Good things coming in the future.
Virtual Console games, which is actually AWESOME.
Very fun.

PS3:

Shiny...
Very impressive mechanically
Only has a few good games
Not as well supported in terms of developers when compared to other systems
Has some good games coming though.
Blu-ray dvds, which will be standard.
Expensive, but see above: most blu-ray players cost as much as a PS3, and it does that as well as games.
NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE :smallfurious: But you have a PS2, so it's ok.
No reliability issues that I'm aware of: mine has always worked fine.

Xbox 360:

Biggest line up of games (Most of the best are FPS)
Weakest system in terms of capabilities
Big online play network.
Fewer games coming for it, at least fewer that are largely hyped.
Reliability issues

Artemician
2008-05-31, 11:44 PM
My understanding, having a Wii and a PS3:

What you understand is not in line with the facts.

Wii

Unique
A small selection of good games with mostly meh titles
Has some internet reliability issues, I believe.
Good things coming in the future.
Virtual Console games, which is actually AWESOME.
Very fun. Subjective. Some people consider it gimmicky
Mechanical capabilities of last-gen console
Innovative control for certain games

PS3:

Shiny...
Very impressive mechanically
Only has a few good games
Not as well supported in terms of developers when compared to other systems
Has some good games coming though.
Blu-ray dvds, which will be standard.
Expensive, but see above: most blu-ray players cost as much as a PS3, and it does that as well as games.
NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE :smallfurious: But you have a PS2, so it's ok.
No reliability issues that I'm aware of: mine has always worked fine.
Strong in terms of Adventure/RPG Games

Xbox 360:

Biggest line up of games (Most of the best are FPS)
Weakest system in terms of capabilities Bull****
Big online play network.
Fewer games coming for it, at least fewer that are largely hyped. Lolwhat?
Reliability issues Fixed by Microsoft
Strong with Shooter/Multiplayer games
[/QUOTE]

Jibar
2008-06-01, 02:01 AM

They're all good now. The only way they're ever going to freeze up and break down is if you treat them badly. Microsoft dealt with the Red Rings and now if they come up it is purely your fault.

A lot of Wii games are perfect, and a lot of XBox titles have offline play. The only problem is online play requires you to pay. I hear good things about some of the PS3s games though. What small selection of good games there are.

That's the XBox for you then. PS3 will get good RPGs later and probably Tekken, but Mech games seems to be exclusive to XBox.
Although I don't understand how Soul Calibur 4 can be a let down after Soul Calibur 3, but there ya go.

Well, the Wii can be costly for multiplayer (Wiimote AND Nunchuck). XBox isn't bad. Another controller will be a small price compared to the cost for another Wiimote/Nunchuck pair.

I love my Wii to death. Some of the most innovative and fun games I've got are on the system, and Brawl coming soon is going to mean the beauty will get a lot of play time. My 360 sees more playtime though because of more good singleplayer games and it's easier to set up multiplayer. Don't disregard the Wii though. Wii good.[/QUOTE]

Tom_Violence
2008-06-01, 05:54 AM
I would just like to throw in my little opinion, that I have gotten huge amounts of enjoyment out of the Wii, despite my hatred of the major Nintendo franchises (e.g. 'Brawl', etc.). I mention this because I've spoken to a fair few people who worry that if they don't like those flagship titles, then they're wasting their money on the console as that's where the major attention goes. Admittedly, I don't really play single player stuff on consoles, nor multiplayer online, but rather only really reel the thing out when there's a crowd round for parties (which happens fairly often, hence how I get my money's worth), and everytime I do it steals the show.

Very fun. Subjective. Some people consider it gimmicky

Pedant. Don't be so sensitive. I doubt anyone was really gonna buy the console, take it home and play it, and then whine and winge that "waa, its not fun! But some random guy on the internet said it was!!" We're mostly intelligent people here and I doubt we need your arrogant reminders that statements like "This is fun" are subjective, thank you very much.

Artemician
2008-06-01, 06:07 AM
Pedant. Don't be so sensitive. I doubt anyone was really gonna buy the console, take it home and play it, and then whine and winge that "waa, its not fun! But some random guy on the internet said it was!!" We're mostly intelligent people here and I doubt we need your arrogant reminders that statements like "This is fun" are subjective, thank you very much.

You'll notice that I never said that the Wiimote was *all* gimmicky. For certain games, it works like a charm. But for others, it's totally gimmicky. This results in some people considering it a gimmick, and other thinking it's awesome. Hence, the *some* prescriptor.

Also, the poster was phrasing his reply in an objective fashion. He meant it in an objective fashion. Quite a few people I know take a statement like that made by the OP to be an appraisal of *all* opinion on the Wii. Perhaps it's because I'm carrying over external baggage from Meatspace, but I feel the urge to point out that not everyone thinks the Wii is a gift to god.

Anyhow, that was not the main point of why I posted that message. What got me clicking the reply button was really the factual misconceptions, like the 360 having the "Worst Mechanical Capabilities of the Trio", or that the Wii has the largest game library.

I apologize if I offended anyone.

Triaxx
2008-06-01, 11:40 AM
Yes, the Wii can be gimmicky. Take note though, that it's a gimmick that both the XboX 360, and PS3 are both trying to copy it.

A good game without the plumber? Metroid 3 is an awesome first party. Twilight Princess was also awesome. For third party, RE4 is worth renting if you've played it before, just for the comparison to the PS2/GC version.

RoboticSheeple
2008-06-01, 07:08 PM
hmm, someone's sounding like they're trying to justify their 500+ dollar purchase. :smallamused:

Actually I have a Wii, a DS, a gamecube, a PS2 and some stuff even older. I don't have a PS3 but Kizara wants Final Fantasy and Fighting games and so there are no other options. I stand by my statement that anyone saying otherwise is a fanboy.

Work with the parameters you're given to pick a system don't try to change what Kizara has placed as wants in some perverse effort to stoke your egos for winning the internet.

Triaxx
2008-06-01, 08:24 PM
Reliability? I've had a total of one freeze with the Wii, and that was after it had been knocked off the desk it's on. Didn't break, just froze.

Multiplayer? The Wii has a few of it's own already, but will also emulate the entire GC library. Including SC2.

Games? Again, there are the new games, and entire gamut of GC games, plus the VC titles. That's twenty years worth of the best games in Nintendo history. Not to mention Force Unleashed's Wii exclusive Multiplayer, and duel mode.

And calling SC4 a disappointment is pretty rash of a judgment. Wait until it's released, then call it crap.

Cost? Wii is still the cheapest console, even counting the cost of four more controllers. ($180.00) It comes with a game, something neither of the others can boast. Unlike the PS3, the games don't feature an install time, since it doesn't have a hard drive. Mind you this is also a bad thing, but it's still fun so it doesn't matter.

Triaxx
2008-06-01, 08:25 PM
Reliability? I've had a total of one freeze with the Wii, and that was after it had been knocked off the desk it's on. Didn't break, just froze.

Multiplayer? The Wii has a few of it's own already, but will also emulate the entire GC library. Including SC2.

Games? Again, there are the new games, and entire gamut of GC games, plus the VC titles. That's twenty years worth of the best games in Nintendo history. Not to mention Force Unleashed's Wii exclusive Multiplayer, and duel mode.

And calling SC4 a disappointment is pretty rash of a judgment. Wait until it's released, then call it crap.

Cost? Wii is still the cheapest console, even counting the cost of four more controllers. ($180.00) It comes with a game, something neither of the others can boast. Unlike the PS3, the games don't feature an install time, since it doesn't have a hard drive. Mind you this is also a bad thing, but it's still fun so it doesn't matter.

Triaxx
2008-06-01, 08:31 PM

Siosilvar
2008-06-01, 08:48 PM
My cousin has a PS3, and I consider it okay (the graphics are excellent, but it is INSANELY expensive). I, however, own the Wii, and even with the limited games selection I have (no GC games, Twilight Princess, Wii Fit, Lego SW, Geometry Wars, Guitar Hero), it still is excellent (Wii Fit can really give you a workout) as long as you don't strain a muscle (my friend did so once while playing Call of Duty 3).
The Wii also has likely the best backwards compatability of the three (GameCube games, plus older ones can likely be found on Wii Shop Channel), in my opinion.
Also:

Reliability issues Fixed by Microsoft
Are you kidding me? Microsoft? Hello?

Also, I believe the PS3 is slightly backwards compatible (about half of my cousin's PS2 games play on it).

DraPrime
2008-06-01, 08:53 PM
Are you kidding me? Microsoft? Hello?

Don't be so presumptuous to disregard that just because the 360 is made by Microsoft. Very few 360s now made break unless you mistreat them by say, dropping them or something like that. I myself have had one for a year and it's perfectly fine. So don't be so quick to judge something that you do not own.

Erloas
2008-06-01, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the ability of the PS3 to play blue-ray movies. That is where the movie industry is heading, it isn't going incredable quickly but it is going. Some people are trying to claim its going to go to digital distrubution... and it will, but not in the near future. With about 20% of the US population not even using the internet, and the majority that do use it connecting at a rate of about 1.5Mbps it is going to take a long time before it becomes a viable alternative. Considering it isn't even a real option at this point, its going to be a while before it gets established.

Not sure about the 360, but I know the PS3 does DVD upscaling as well, which will give a better quality out of DVDs you already have. I'm going to take it as a given that someone that interested in console gaming is going to be someone that uses their TV enough to have already justified picking up an HDTV or will be in the very near future.

Even if it takes 1-2 more years before blue-ray players fall to mainstream prices that will be 1-2 years you would have access to them, and the PS3 is still pretty much the cheapest blue-ray player around. Even if it takes 1-2 years before the need for blue-ray hits any real level by that time players will probably be a little below $100, so with a PS3 you should somewhat consider that in the price.

As far as the consoles as consoles I haven't had much experience with any of them. I've played the PS3 and Wii to some extent but not a lot. I was entirely underwhelmed by the Wii and it had no appeal at all to me. That isn't to say it wasn't at all fun, but it was far below what people hyped it to be. I also haven't really been a fan of most 1st party Nintendo games for at least a decade, in fact I haven't owned a Nintendo since the NES. Their game designs are simply not for me. I've also heard a number of interviews with developers who are disappointed with the Wii because it doesn't have the power to do what they want with it. There are a few games that were on every platform except the Wii (360, PS3 and PC) because they would have basically had to redo the entire game to get it to run on the Wii.

The PS3 looked good and the games I played on it where also pretty good but it really didn't strike me as anything truely new from the PS2. We might start seeing some amazing things when developers really get the hang of the PS3 processor, but it is so different from everything else out there that developers seem to be having a harder time with it.

I've also read that Microsoft has done a lot to fix the red-ring problems with earlier versions of the 360. I believe they completely changed vendors for the parts that were giving them trouble earlier. There is rumor that they are going to release a new model very soon with a die shrink on most parts and will basically be like the PS2 slim was compared to the original PS2, and there is also rumor that the new revision of the 360 will also include a blue-ray player, though that has been denied by Microsoft but apparently 2-3 Tiawan manufacturers claim to have the contract to make them for it.

I haven't even really thought about getting any of the new consoles though. So many of the console games are going to shooters or shooter derived games and I just can't stand playing those sorts of games on a controller. It seems that the sorts of games that where the staple of the consoles 5 years ago and what seperated them from the PC have all but disapeared.
As it is I would much rather spend $300 on Warhammer models or fishing gear (and have) then any of the new consoles. (though I had thought about getting the PS3 for a blue-ray player until I thought about the fact that I probably average 1-2 movie rentals a year.)

Jibar
2008-06-02, 02:44 AM
I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the ability of the PS3 to play blue-ray movies.

But you also shouldn't so quick to dismiss the 360. The HD player was an add on. If Blue Ray starts to pick up, it would be easy for them to produce a Blue Ray DVD player add on.
(oh, and the 360 does upscale. Wonders for us since we lost our regular DVD player's remote)

Mr. Friendly
2008-06-02, 07:31 AM
I have played various games on all three systems.

If I were to buy one, it would be the Wii - it is the best value for the money. Also; if you have friends, family or kids, this is definitely a system you want, since it has the best multi-player functionality, IMO.

Here is some info about the "perfect" XBox 360 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems). Make sure you pony up the extra money for all the warranty coverage you can get. Take note that you have the following statistical chances: A 5% chance of RRoD. A 1 in 3 chance your system will overheat and fry itself. A 30% chance that your system will "engrave" your DVDs with cool crop circle designs making them unplayable.

The PS3 is a good system and has a lot of good games. The main drawbacks are that the system and the games are extremely expensive and more importantly (more important to me at any rate) Sony has an extremely poor ethical track record and conducts business in an extremely underhanded and dishonorable fashion.

All in all I prefer Nintendo as both the fiscally responsible choice, the entertainment choice and the moral choice. Nintendo is much more interested in keeping their players happy and in making good games with high re-playability than in making some more flashy games that have 10 hours of actual game time, are super easy and have no replay value.

Ranis
2008-06-02, 08:01 AM
Here is some info about the "perfect" XBox 360 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems). Make sure you pony up the extra money for all the warranty coverage you can get. Take note that you have the following statistical chances: A 5% chance of RRoD. A 1 in 3 chance your system will overheat and fry itself. A 30% chance that your system will "engrave" your DVDs with cool crop circle designs making them unplayable.

I would like to point out that I've had my 360 for about 2 1/2 years now and have never had anything bad or wrong happen with it, ever. It's never RRoD'd, scratched a disc, overheated, or anything like that.

Furthermore, I don't think anyone in the thread said anything about the 360 being "perfect." Secondly, anything wrong with a 360 these days is more likely than not to be a direct impact from you mistreating the system or not giving it enough room to breathe.

Tom_Violence
2008-06-02, 08:25 AM
I would like to point out that I've had my 360 for about 2 1/2 years now and have never had anything bad or wrong happen with it, ever. It's never RRoD'd, scratched a disc, overheated, or anything like that.

Furthermore, I don't think anyone in the thread said anything about the 360 being "perfect." Secondly, anything wrong with a 360 these days is more likely than not to be a direct impact from you mistreating the system or not giving it enough room to breathe.

One thing is certain - arguing statistics, and/or anecdotal evidence, is completely and utterly pointless in a debate like this. Unless someone's gonna roll out some actual data, all anyone here has to go on is hearsay, i.e. - the 360 has a bad reputation.

Ziren
2008-06-02, 09:06 AM
Most things have already been said, but I waned to point out another problem with the Wii: Third party support is basically nonexistant. I have a Wi and I enjoy it a lot, but almost every good game that has been published for it has been produced by Nintendo.

Tom_Violence
2008-06-02, 09:19 AM
Also, the poster was phrasing his reply in an objective fashion. He meant it in an objective fashion. Quite a few people I know take a statement like that made by the OP to be an appraisal of *all* opinion on the Wii. Perhaps it's because I'm carrying over external baggage from Meatspace, but I feel the urge to point out that not everyone thinks the Wii is a gift to god.

He was? He described it as "his understanding". Hardly sounds like a boast to objectivity to me. I'm not offended - I just hate the notion that no one is allowed to express an opinion anymore without everyone else jumping on it and reducing it to nothing more than a statement about frigging ice cream.

valadil
2008-06-02, 09:32 AM
Note: this is not a comprehensive review of the 3 systems. This is just what worked for me. Usually I go for which has the most games I wanted to play, but they were all tied in that regard.

I opted for a PS3. I got a 60GB for $360 on eBay last month. As far as I know the XBox360 is $300 or $400, so PS3s can be had in the same price range.

I do not own a PS2 but I own PS2 games, so the backwards compatibility was a biggie for me. So far they all work (though PS2 controllers don't necessarily work. I think I'll have to give up on Guitar Hero 2).

I wanted to play Rock Band. And I wanted to download songs. Therefore the Wii was out. I may still buy one eventually, but there was no point right now. That left me picking between 360 and PS3.

Two things turned me off from the 360. Having to pay for XBox Live (although that money is probably just going to PS3 games instead) and the 40% fail rate on older XBoxes. Too many red ring of death stories scared me off. I know the new ones are supposed to be better, but I just can't support a company that makes products that they know will fail so easily.

As far as games go, 360 and PS3 were pretty much tied for me. Your mileage may vary. Getting PS2 compatibility was a nice touch.

Yes PS3 games are pricier, but I'm planning on using gamefly or gamesnflix for renting games, and only buying the games that I really, really like. Both services charge the same amount for any game you rent, so prices are a moot point for my use case.

Other nice bonuses of the PS3 were its blue ray capabilities and it's alternate OS features. They make it real easy to install linux if desired.

Mr. Friendly
2008-06-02, 11:01 AM

And I have 4 different people I know with 360s and 1 has had nothing happen since he first got it and the other 3 have had to replace it twice (well, twice for two of them, four times for the other) between RRoD, disc scratching and overheating.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-06-02, 12:31 PM
I think its really quite hilarious how people seem to think that the RRoD are a reason to not buy a console. They really don't seem to know the problem, or are going about it the wrong way. Let me tell you how it happens:
1. You get RRoD.
2. You send customer support an email.
3. Microsoft sends you a box (no shipping fees for you)
4. You send console in.
5. You get console back.
Seriously, its EASY AS THAT. Takes about 1-1 1/2 weeks before you have a working console. I've had my console two years now, and its happened only once. But I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again, and I don't really care that much. Why? Because its only 1 week out of my 2 years of excellence. I've also owned a Wii, about a year ago. I bought Twilight Princess on it and an extra controller. After I beat that game all my Wii did was sit there and gather dust. I've sold it since then, and I know that the Wii now has a few other games worth buying (such as SSBM, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mario Cart . I'm sensing a pattern here :smallwink:), but in my opinion the 360 still trumps it, and hard (Oblivion, CoD4, Mass Effect, BioShock, GoW, Assassins Creed, etc. They also have a few great games coming in the future: Fallout 3, Fable 2, Alone in the Dark, Too Human).

But hey, maybe thats just my opinion I suppose. The OP nearly outed the 360 completely with his first post, so it might not be for him. Not liking team based shooters, but liking competitive online play might be hard on the 360 (as nearly all competitive online play comes from shooters, although the new Soul Calibur is coming out for it soon). Thats where the Wii and SSBM would come in I suppose. But if you like RPG's, and would be willing to wait for Soul Calibur, I think the 360 would be the best choice (Oh and it looks like Too Human (an RPG adventure type hybrid) will have online CO-OP with the option to have Free-for-all loot. Nothing says competitive like having to chase your buddy to that new kick-ass sword that just dropped off the last boss).

Tom_Violence
2008-06-02, 12:46 PM
I guess the one major reason why I personally have never picked up a 360 is that I know that the vast majority of titles on it, and especially the ones that I want to play, will eventually turn up on the PC. Moreover, they'll turn up better than they were on the 360. So a lot of the incentive to buy a different system goes out the window right there.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-06-02, 12:59 PM
I guess the one major reason why I personally have never picked up a 360 is that I know that the vast majority of titles on it, and especially the ones that I want to play, will eventually turn up on the PC. Moreover, they'll turn up better than they were on the 360. So a lot of the incentive to buy a different system goes out the window right there.

While that is true, and I do truly envy anyone who could uphold a PC long enough to experience all of the games the Xbox has to offer, thats just it. Its very expensive to get your PC to that kind of calibur, to the point when it will keep the same performance and prettiness that a pure console can offer. Sure, a PC has mods and generally free (and better) online, its not very reliable. You can pretty much always trust a console to run any game you put in it, and run it the way it was meant to be run. But you cannot always rely on your PC to do the same.

Tom_Violence
2008-06-02, 01:18 PM
While that is true, and I do truly envy anyone who could uphold a PC long enough to experience all of the games the Xbox has to offer, thats just it. Its very expensive to get your PC to that kind of calibur, to the point when it will keep the same performance and prettiness that a pure console can offer. Sure, a PC has mods and generally free (and better) online, its not very reliable. You can pretty much always trust a console to run any game you put in it, and run it the way it was meant to be run. But you cannot always rely on your PC to do the same.

Be that as it may, and I certainly can't afford to constantly keep a top-spec PC kicking about these days, I still doubt that I would ever buy a 360 for this reason. The money I would spend on the 360 might not be as much as the cost of upgrading the PC, but that the games on the PC are better versions, coupled with the existence of games on the PC that won't appear on the 360 (e.g. Neverwinter Nights), makes it a fair tradeoff in my mind. Also, with a bit of technical knowledge and a well-treated PC, I find that I rarely ever have much trouble with it at all. Finally, graphics are never a major concern of mine, so having to keep that particular aspect of my PC in tip-top shape doesn't matter so much.

valadil
2008-06-02, 01:53 PM
I think its really quite hilarious how people seem to think that the RRoD are a reason to not buy a console. They really don't seem to know the problem, or are going about it the wrong way. Let me tell you how it happens:
1. You get RRoD.
2. You send customer support an email.
3. Microsoft sends you a box (no shipping fees for you)
4. You send console in.
5. You get console back.
Seriously, its EASY AS THAT.

I'm glad that their customer service department is more competent than their engineers. No amount of high quality customer service will make me buy a product I know was poorly designed.

Albub
2008-06-02, 02:19 PM
I don't understand how free repairs/shipping excuses the 360 at all... 1/2 weeks before you get your console back is still 1/2 weeks without a console. If I'm dropping hundreds of bux on anything I want to be able to use it reliably. I've got a 360, and I've got a PS3. The reason I have a PS3 is because I was fed up with waiting for my 360 to come back so I went and did something about it. I'm glad I did.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-06-02, 06:23 PM
I don't understand how free repairs/shipping excuses the 360 at all... 1/2 weeks before you get your console back is still 1/2 weeks without a console. If I'm dropping hundreds of bux on anything I want to be able to use it reliably. I've got a 360, and I've got a PS3. The reason I have a PS3 is because I was fed up with waiting for my 360 to come back so I went and did something about it. I'm glad I did.

No, your right. There is no reason why Microsoft couldn't have fixed this problem sooner. Good customer support definatly does not excuse it. But you know you have a really good console when you have to go out and spend 600$ to compensate for a week of entertainment lost.

TheSorrow
2008-06-02, 08:55 PM
Wii and 360 = what I have and am fine except for the hurting inside that surfaces everytime I see Metal Gear Solid 4 or hear it being said. I used to have a PS2 and the MGS series. But that is the only thing I am jealous of the PS3 for.

Dhavaer
2008-06-03, 05:36 AM
If you like Guitar Hero, the guitar controllers are different for each system. The 360 guitars are much more sensitive to movement than the Wii guitars, for instance, so Star Power is easier to activate (which can be bad, if you don't want it activating by accident).

poleboy
2008-06-03, 06:14 AM
I don't think a PS3 is worth the extra money unless you intend to use it as the basis for a home entertainment center. Very few games are platform-exclusive these days (not counting Nintendo, they've always been like that), so if you want to play a game, chances are it's out for the 360 or the Wii. The only reason I think of for buying a PS3 is FFXIII. Thinking about it makes me sad.:smallfrown:

In other words, I would recommend the Wii or 360.

Wii has some very strong titles, but tons of craptacular license-based kiddie games as well. It also has a disturbing amount of full price minigame-based titles that would have been oldschool in the 80's. Unfortunately, most third-party developers see only the popularity of the wii and make the equation:
Gimmicky wii-mote game + 3 weeks' work = quick money.
As for multiplayer: Again, it's there and it's good, but only a few titles has anything to offer. Multiplayer is also very restrictive because it's child friendly.
Virtual Console: Very awesome if you weren't around to play the titles back then or you want the nostalgia. Definitely a big plus. The downside is that IMO you often pay more than the games are actually worth and you could probably emulate 90% of them for free instead.

360. I think they nailed it pretty well, especially the controllers. As for its reliability, no one I know personally has ever had any serious issues with it. While it seems like there were indeed huge problems at one point, it's not the serious issue it once was, and MS apparently has good customer service.
Multiplayer: It feels more like a community to me than wii multiplayer. Stuff like achievements, XboX live and live chat helps tie people together. The downside is that you have to pay to play online.
360 is console shooter heaven. If console shooters aren't your thing, there are still a lot of other games for it, but it's where it shines IMO.

Holammer
2008-06-03, 06:44 AM
I personally found that the games I wanted would turn up for the PS3 "later". So I bought the machine on the promise of Little Big Planet, Killzone 3, Metal Gear Solid IV, maybe Final Fantasy XIII. I believe the PS3 will get the best support from Japanese game developers and those are the games I usually prefer.
Whatever you buy, get the console your buddies got. Being able to borrow games is a classic argument but also because of online support in games.

Blue ray is a factor, but what is this "buying movies" people speak of?

SerenityKry
2008-06-04, 08:51 AM
You know, I'm very surprised at how many people who haven't experienced all of the next gen consoles are putting up a fight for what is 'better'

I happen to own all three consoles, I like certain things and I dislike certain things but I like all of my consoles equally. If someone held my consoles at gun point and told me to choose my favorite I wouldn't be able to. Haha!

These are my thoughts, I really do not attached fanboyism to any of my consoles.

Xbox 360 - Present day, this console is pretty solid. After my original console finally died of the red ring I bought an Elite. Haven't had a single problem with the system since buying it.

I love how Live is so widely used and so developed, I dislike paying for it. I also love the achievements, they're addicting, wonderful addition to just keep you buying games and playing. Even gets you to play games you wouldn't normally play.
Also with Live many Demos, many side games, many movies, many TV shows for you to download.

The thing is a bit of a jet engine when you're playing it, nothing turning up the volume can't fix though.

Not having wireless built in has been a very nagging thing. Because of this my 360 has a VGA cord hooked to a KVM so I can switch between my computer and the 360 an just use my monitor. Why? Because I have to have an ethernet cord going from the 360 to my router to get online. I'm not insanely excited about spending $100 on a wireless adapter.
There are ways to do it cheaper though!!

The 360 library is huge, of course because it has had an extra year. And the RPG genre has a decent line up.

Playstation 3 - I finally gave in and bought it earlier this year. I have yet to have any issuese with this console, no freezing, no over heating. Of course I keep my consoles out in the open so they can breathe.

Online is free, very big plus. Although at the moment, not very organized. Home looks very promising and their own achievement system looks to be very promising. I'm excited and holding out to see these fatures when they come and how they hold up to Live.

Quiet! I can't even hear this thing running half of the time. The controller is very light and is down right comfortable if you don't mind not having rumble. I really could care less. I'm there to play a game, not hold a vibrator. >.>

Wireless internet connection! My PS3 sits comfortably next to my HD-TV hooked up via an HDMI cord (that cord in itself is brilliance). I can go online free and from across the room.

The PS3 library is mediocre, it's growing though and starting to look very promising itself. Bigger things are yet to come.

Also, you can't deny the Blu-Ray player, it's the future. I myself have bought two Blu-Ray movies, luckily for dirt cheap, but be prepared to drop $35 if you feel like buying up a movie. Not really a HUGE difference, I could live without, but it's still pretty crisp and spiffy.

Wii - I haven't had any issues as of yet, knock on wood, I have heard mine making a clicking sound when spinning a disc after playing for about an hour. No freezing or any problem though.

Friend Codes, what can I say, they're annoying, but they are there for a reason, to keep the innocents away from the sickos. So I can't complain, not to mention... The less I have to listen to a kid use adult words because mom and dad aren't looking the better it can be. Wireless as well when getting online.

My Wii is a bit on the loud side but hey, it's one of the first Wii's. The controller options, now that's a plus. You can use the Wiimote in most games how ever you feel is the most comfortable, in some games the classic controller and the Gamecube controller are also options. YOU choose what you're holding and how you're holding it. (Let the gutter minds giggle, hehehe!)

The Wii's library is pretty decent, amazing if you're really into what Nintendo does best (horrible italian accent) Mario!
I'll admit, my Wii only gets time when I feel there is nothing I can do on my other consoles, or if I have someone who wants to play with me. Mulitplayer, it really shines in that area. I was playing WiiFit with my family last night. Bet your arse I snagged video of everyone trying to hola hoop, black mail!
3rd party isn't huge yet but I have a feeling the future might hold a lot.

Online is free and the downloads are plentifull. I've downloaded most of my favorites from back in the day. Not to mention WiiWare just hit the console.

Reliability. My PS2 OCCASIONALLY would freeze + crash, but it was quite rare. If my system has alot of issues (xbox), then I don't want the hassle. Period.
I feel at this stage in the game every console is reliable. If you buy a new Wii, PS3 or 360 the bugs have been pretty much worked out.

Multiplayer. I play games pretty seriously, and have been playing DotA competitively for the last year. I don't like the team-based shooters at all, but I do like fighting games (Soul Calibur 3 still is played every week with my friend).
Right now, 360 is at the top of it's game when it comes to multiplayer. You pay but you get the chance to play and chat/message.
For the future the PS3 and 360 will be the ultimate way to play multiplayer with the consoles.
I don't see the Wii revamping their system and will always utilize friend codes.

Titles that include RPGs (FF), mecha games like Armored Core, and good fighting games. Btw, Soul Calibur 4 is garbage and a huge dissapointment, as me and my friend are almost obsessed with the series.
Well at the moment 360 has a bit of a bigger line up of RPGs, but only by a bit. Their RPG line up had barely started to take off. PS3 is very close behind but I feel it may pull foward with RPGs in the near future.

Cost matters somewhat, I dont want to drop $1k here. $800 for an xbox + multiplayer attachments is not acceptable to me (+ game costs).
O.O
Good luck!
Gaming is expensive these days, there is no way around it. If you stick with cheapassgamer.com you may havee some luck in scoring something for cheap. But irrigardless, there is no way this is going to be cheap. Even with the Wii. $250 plus multiple WiiMotes AND Nunchucks plus $50 games. Next Gen is going to be expensive.

Well, there are my mixed up thoughts, I hope it helped.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-06-05, 07:12 PM
My suggestions:

360. Software OS makes the slight hardware advantage vanish and then some, since it's based on a stripped-down version of XP. I can't wait until some hacker figures this out and starts D/Ling viruses onto X-Box Live. Bill Gates strongarms people into either going exclusive with 360 or getting blackballed, which is why they have any titles at all. As it is, just wait six months after a title releases on the 360 and it'll probably be out on the PC.

PS3. You'll also need some sort of heat sink system to keep it from catching on fire if you plan on playing it for very long, and it has a LOT of problems with the overpowered processor not firing on all circuits, which causes it's own problems. It's also the most expensive, thanks to the Blu Ray reader installed in each and every one. Also, not a very interesting game lineup.

Wii. Controller aside, it wins my vote. I personally wouldn't get it, simply because I don't feel like looking even more stupid while playing a game than I have to, and the controller kind of requires it, but it has a solid lineup of RPG's, good multiplayer capability, and the ability to access all the old 'blast from the past' NES games we all loved so dearly back in the 80's.

Triaxx
2008-06-05, 07:49 PM
You want to talk about Shooters on consoles? I can recommend no better comparison than RE4 on the Wii. Play a stretch with the GC controller. Then play the same stretch with the Wiimote. Now tell me which is easier to play with.

Geno9999
2008-06-06, 02:34 PM
My suggestions:

Wii. Controller aside, it wins my vote. I personally wouldn't get it, simply because I don't feel like looking even more stupid while playing a game than I have to, and the controller kind of requires it, but it has a solid lineup of RPG's, good multiplayer capability, and the ability to access all the old 'blast from the past' NES games we all loved so dearly back in the 80's.

Objection! SNES game are better. It had Super Metroid and LoZ; Link to the Past. But MAN! Why can't we play Super Mario RPG? "it's the only one just for me... When I play the game I get lost in the maze, then I find out I'm stuck in Geno's maze!" *continues to sing along with the song*

Oregano
2008-06-06, 02:50 PM
Geno9999: I think they've come to an agreement with Square-Enix and it'll soon be released for the Virtual Console.

By the way, i like to add about reliability that one of my friends who had both(purchased both when they first came out) has no issues whatsoever with his 360 but his PS3 has had constant problems and has already had to be replaced(luckily it was under guarantee) so both the PS3 and Xbox 360 seem to have the same problems it's just that Microsoft will admit it where Sony won't.