PDA

View Full Version : Cardcaptor Sakura in D&D?

kwanzaabot
2008-05-31, 05:49 PM
While browsing my Spell Compendium earlier today I came across the Binding Winds spell. Instantly, I was reminded of the Cardcaptor Sakura anime.

While some people don't like anime in their D&D, i've been trying to find an excuse to do this for ages. See, my best friend and my sister both love shoujo anime (well, so do I :smalltongue:), but unfortunately neither plays D&D. My best friend is particularly adamant about this for some reason, even though he loves fantasy movies, anime/manga and video games, for some reason he won't play some dice with me. :smallfrown:

That is, until now. If I can convert the Clow Cards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clow_card) into a D&D 3.5 format, I think I just may be able to win them over!

So, I ask you, my fellow pasty nerds dice-rolling compadres, please help direct me to spells that I can use as Clow Cards! :smallbiggrin:

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-31, 05:51 PM
While browsing my Spell Compendium earlier today I came across the Binding Winds spell. Instantly, I was reminded of the Cardcaptor Sakura anime.

While some people don't like anime in their D&D, i've been trying to find an excuse to do this for ages. See, my best friend and my sister both love shoujo anime (well, so do I :smalltongue:), but unfortunately neither plays D&D. My best friend is particularly adamant about this for some reason, even though he loves fantasy movies, anime/manga and video games, for some reason he won't play some dice with me. :smallfrown:

That is, until now. If I can convert the Clow Cards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clow_card) into a D&D 3.5 format, I think I just may be able to win them over!

So, I ask you, my fellow pasty nerds dice-rolling compadres, please help direct me to spells that I can use as Clow Cards! :smallbiggrin:

You want to make everyone Binders.

Which is an excellent idea.

kwanzaabot
2008-05-31, 06:13 PM
You want to make everyone Binders.

Which is an excellent idea.

Ooh. Ooh. Very cool.

That's what I get for not reading Tome of Magic properly until now. It's just a matter of adjusting the flavour, and that's easy enough.

Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

seedjar
2008-05-31, 07:37 PM
I'm interested - maybe you should start a development thread in the homebrew section?
~Joe

PS - Ditch the wands, at least for folks that have a Spellcraft check.

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-31, 07:57 PM
If you do make everyone binders, you might want to do a Gestalt Game, so individual characters have some more distinct abilities. I don't think it would be necessary though.

Jayngfet
2008-05-31, 08:44 PM
some card ideas

The arrow:acid arrow

The big:Enlarge person

The change: Mind switch

The dash:haste

The earthy:Earthquake

The fight:Tensers transformation

The firey:Fireball

The fly:fly

The Freeze:Cone of cold

The glow:Dancing lights

The Illusion:Persistent image

The light:Daylight

The Lock:Arcane lock

The maze: Maze

The shield:Shield of faith

The shot:Magic missile

The sleep:sleep

The through:ethreal jaunt

Its not a complete list but I still like it...

...Wow, has my life reached the point where I convert anime to tabletop already?

kwanzaabot
2008-06-01, 09:16 PM
I gotta admit, i'm not totally familiar with the mechanics behind the Binder. I really like the class, so i'm definitely using it, but I don't know how balanced it is to let the Clow Cards grant the user a bunch of spell-like abilities. Here's the first one I did, The Windy.

The Windy

Vestige Level: 4th
Binding DC: 20
Special Requirement: Must possess the appropriate Clow Card.
Granted Abilities:
Bind: The Windy takes the form of a yellowish, almost opaque tornado, which wraps itself around a single creature, trapping it. This acts like a Binding Winds (Spell Compendium) spell. Caster level equals your effective Binder level.
Gale: The Windy can be used to command the element of air, and as such acts like a Wind Wall spell. Caster level equals your effective Binder level.
Combat: The Windy may be summoned into battle, if desired. This acts like a Summon Nature's Ally spell, except that it summons a single, medium-sized Air Elemental. Caster level equals your effective Binder level.

That's what I got so far. The rest are probably going to follow a similar pattern. I don't think there'll be much in the way of offensive magic, except for the element cards, which'll summon an elemental (and probably The Freeze, The Thunder, The Wood and so on).

Also Jayngfet, thanks for those spells. They'll come in handy. :D

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-01, 09:27 PM
It seems fine. But ware Control winds. If it's the one I'm thinking of, the one that lets you create a Tornado, take it out, because with four binders, that's four battles that are autowon.

Revanmal
2008-06-01, 09:27 PM
I gotta admit, i'm not totally familiar with the mechanics behind the Binder. I really like the class, so i'm definitely using it, but I don't know how balanced it is to let the Clow Cards grant the user a bunch of spell-like abilities.

You could give the players only one card at first, and then make them capture the rest.

kwanzaabot
2008-06-01, 09:40 PM
It seems fine. But ware Control winds. If it's the one I'm thinking of, the one that lets you create a Tornado, take it out, because with four binders, that's four battles that are autowon.

Good point. It's gone. :D

You could give the players only one card at first, and then make them capture the rest.

That's the plan. I was actually thinking of making the "guardian of the seal" (Kero/Spinel Sun) the first vestige thingy they get- maybe letting it act as a familiar.