PDA

View Full Version : Best Warlock Gestalt

evisiron
2008-05-31, 05:50 PM
It is possible that I will be playing in a gestalt game in the future. My main class choice is the Warlock, but have yet to choose a second class.

An arcane calss might be fun, a rogue might work well for sneak attack damage on Eldritch blast (and at will invisability) and a Barbarian would stack on the hitpoints.

I still want to keep it fairly ranged orientated as opposed to the Glaive melee builds I have seen.

So, what do you think would be the best class to gestalt with a warlock?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-31, 05:52 PM
Factotum with FoI. Because Extra actions are good for EVERYONE.

monty
2008-05-31, 05:57 PM
My favorite build is either Warlock 20 // Rogue 18 / Chameleon 2 or Warlock 18 / Chameleon 2 // Rogue 20. Great skill monkey, pretty good damage output, and UMD cheese dripping from every orifice (You need WHAT? Ok, give me a second to make it).

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-31, 06:46 PM
Warlock 18/Chameleon 2(for the rotating feat)//Rogue 19/Scout 1. Not for effectiveness, per say, more for the "You get to roll how many d6s on that attack!?!" If the Shadowrun player doesn't have enough, then you're probably good. :smallbiggrin:

Chronicled
2008-05-31, 09:14 PM
Warlock 18/Chameleon 2(for the rotating feat)//Rogue 19/Scout 1. Not for effectiveness, per say, more for the "You get to roll how many d6s on that attack!?!" If the Shadowrun player doesn't have enough, then you're probably good. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, the Swift Ambusher combo works quite nicely with Warlocks.

For even more d6's, PrCing into Hellfire Warlock (and possibly taking the level in Binder as your method of keeping the Con damage away) would do nicely.

mabriss lethe
2008-05-31, 09:45 PM
warlock/spellthief/chameleon in some combination.

I'd rather take warlock all the way to 20 and then split spellthief and chameleon 18/2, but the other way works just as snazzy.

Either way, you can cast dark invocations, absorb 9th level spells, cast a few 4th level spells that would normally be beyond your scope, and get a 5d6 sneak attack out of it too.

FlyMolo
2008-05-31, 09:50 PM
Warlock 20 on one side. Rogue/Chameleon sounds amazing, especially that rotating bonus feat. Extra invocation is a great choice, as is bind vestige or shape soulmeld or whatever you need for the day.

Fun stuff.

quiet1mi
2008-05-31, 10:25 PM
sorcerer because of the charisma synergy and it is cool...

Hexblade for the fluff,d10 hit dice,full BaB and the martial training and curses (later for "mettle" and the "+cha to saving throws")

Chronos
2008-06-01, 12:01 AM
Note that Warlock counts as an "arcane spellcasting class", so it's eligible for Master Spellthief. Which means that you only need 9 levels of Spellthief in the build to be able to steal everything.

Rogue/Chameleon sounds amazing, especially that rotating bonus feat. Extra invocation is a great choice, as is bind vestige or shape soulmeld or whatever you need for the day.By the rules, Shape Soulmeld isn't a good feat for a day; it's a good feat forever. Even after you switch the feat, you keep the meld until you choose to unshape it (or until someone uses one of those spells from Magic of Incarnum that unshapes it). But check with your DM before trying that.

And cool though that rotating feat may be, the rest of Chameleon is pretty nice, too. You should at least consider taking all ten levels.

JaxGaret
2008-06-01, 12:14 AM
It's certainly not close to an optimized build, but you could go Warlock//Dragonfire Adept to nearly double up on the Invocations, and to have another at-will magical attack type at your beck and call.

Another fun choice is Warlock/Binder/Hellfire Warlock/Fiend-Blooded(or Legacy Champion)//Warmage, for blaster goodness. Also not optimized but enjoyable as heck.

Warlock20//Druid20 is of course quite powerful, and if you want to be really cheesy, throw in 10 levels of Planar Shepherd. Any powerful Wizard build will of course be great on the other side of any gestalt.

Ned the undead
2008-06-01, 10:13 AM
My personal favorite warlock trick is this:
Round1: Retributive Invisbility
Round2: Fell Flight
Round3: Fly over my opponents, then let off a Quickened, Maximized, Empowered, Sneak Attack, Vitriolic, Chain, Eldritch Blast. You can hit up to 5 enemies with 23d6 and at the beggining of their next turn they take 13d6 acid damage.

Burley
2008-06-02, 12:39 PM
Ned, hate to burst your bubble, but Quicken/Maximize/Empower Spell-like Ability Feats don't work that way. I believe you can only add one per use of the spell like ability.
And, even if you can put more than one on there, you can only apply any of those three to something that is equal to a spell level of half your caster level -2. That means, adding one of those allows you to use a 8th level equivalant invocation, if you're a 20th level character. Adding all three... Why waste three feats to do the same thing three times a day when you could do way stonger things with the three rounds you used.

If you're wanting to do damage, take the rogue, any invisibility invocations you can and Fell Flight. That's the best way, everyday. Barbarians are cool, and the hit points would help, but you lose the ability to Blast when you Rage. Where's the fun in losing one ability in order to do another? Why not pick a class that stacks both?

Scouts are cool, the AC boost is helpful, but taking Warlock20//Scout20 and you'd lose 4d6 damage in the process, and you won't be getting hit too often with flight and invisibility (at least, not without things losing a turn to get rid of those things.)

Ned the undead
2008-06-02, 12:58 PM
Ned, hate to burst your bubble, but Quicken/Maximize/Empower Spell-like Ability Feats don't work that way. I believe you can only add one per use of the spell like ability.
And, even if you can put more than one on there, you can only apply any of those three to something that is equal to a spell level of half your caster level -2. That means, adding one of those allows you to use a 8th level equivalant invocation, if you're a 20th level character. Adding all three... Why waste three feats to do the same thing three times a day when you could do way stonger things with the three rounds you used.

If you're wanting to do damage, take the rogue, any invisibility invocations you can and Fell Flight. That's the best way, everyday. Barbarians are cool, and the hit points would help, but you lose the ability to Blast when you Rage. Where's the fun in losing one ability in order to do another? Why not pick a class that stacks both?

Scouts are cool, the AC boost is helpful, but taking Warlock20//Scout20 and you'd lose 4d6 damage in the process, and you won't be getting hit too often with flight and invisibility (at least, not without things losing a turn to get rid of those things.)
Your right. I was looking this up and was comming to fix my mistake when I saw your post. Though the core concept of stacking SA damage with ED damage, Chain blast, and Vitrilouc is still there. The only thing buggin' me is your refernce to Barbarians. Are suggesting that they might help the build or that they are a poor choice?

Burley
2008-06-02, 01:02 PM
I say Barbarians are a poor build choice for a Gestalt Warlock. However, after thinking about it, and looking up the Unearthed Arcana alternate class junks: Trading your rage (and all things associated with it) for the Ranger's Favored Enemy and Archery Combat Focus (and all it's subsidiaries) would be a great decision.

Frosty
2008-06-02, 01:03 PM
how about Warlock/Cleric1/Hellfire Warlock // Bard4/Crusader16?

You want d6s? you've GOT 'em with Dragonfire Inspiration. And now, you get to swing those damage around as melee TOUCH attacks with Eldritch Glaive. One level of Cleric is to get Turn attempts (go CHA syngergy!) so you can fuel Travel Devotion and move as a swift action and do a full-round attack with your eldritch glaive of disgusting-damage-ness.

monty
2008-06-02, 01:05 PM
Warlock20//Druid20 is of course quite powerful, and if you want to be really cheesy, throw in 10 levels of Planar Shepherd. Any powerful Wizard build will of course be great on the other side of any gestalt.

Anything // Druid 20 is powerful, Anything // Druid 10 / Planar Shepherd 10 doubly so. You could apply that to any build (unless there's alignment restrictions - this one would have to be CN or NE) and call it more powerful.

Duke of URL
2008-06-02, 01:24 PM
Okay, you're going ranged, so that answers the big question.

Now it comes down to what you want. Better saves? Look for a class that covers Fort and Reflex (Ranger, Monk, Favored Soul, etc.). More HP? Barbarian or Knight. Skills? Rogue or Factotum.

An arcane second side really hurts on all three fronts, as most arcane classes have low HD, high Will saves, and lower skills. A divine second side, on the other hand... well, Favored Soul gives you not only the good saves, but also a bunch of really, really nice buffs and healing.

Person_Man
2008-06-02, 01:47 PM
My current favorite tank build is Barbarian 2/Paladin of Freedom 3/Hellreaver 5 (Fiendish Codex 2). You get full BAB, respectable hit points, Rage, Pounce, Uncanny Dodge, Cha to Saves, Immunity to Compulsion, Immunity to Disease, Immunity to Fear, Mettle, and the ability to heal 20 points of damage every round as a Swift Action, plus some other minor benefits. Pick up a Ring of Evasion, and you're defensively set for pretty much anything. Combine with your standard Glaivelock (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=820872) build on the other side of your gestalt, and you become a melee monster with a flexible ranged backup (wands, Eldritch Blast), and respectable social Skills.

If you want to go overboard, you could combine it with a Warlock's cheesy ability to pick up Hide in Plain Site every round as a Swift Action (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57352), and you can't be targeted - though I wouldn't suggest that - because you'd be begging your DM to throw enemies with Swift Action Hide Plain Site against you.

JackMage666
2008-06-02, 03:28 PM
Warlock 20//Soulknife 20

"What, of course I'm unarmed!"

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-06-02, 04:51 PM
Warlock/hellfire warlock // Warblade.

With Eldritch Glaive and Combat Expertise / Trip / Knock-Down, You Win DnD. all you have to do is something that does not have SR like Eldritch Blast and it's various invocations.

Or...

Warlock // DruidZilla? Would that even work? Can you be a Dire Bear with Invocations? Or better yet, Warlock // clericzilla.

JaxGaret
2008-06-03, 01:36 AM
Anything // Druid 20 is powerful, Anything // Druid 10 / Planar Shepherd 10 doubly so. You could apply that to any build (unless there's alignment restrictions - this one would have to be CN or NE) and call it more powerful.

Right. I tossed off two flavor builds, and then decided to actually answer the OP's question as to what is the "Best Warlock Gestalt". I posted what I thought was one of the the best Warlock gestalt builds, since the Druid one of the Big Five and also has synergy with the Warlock (yes, Invocations work with Wild Shape).

The other insane Warlock gestalt is Warlock20//Archivist20.

Can you say access to every spell in the game?

DownwardSpiral
2008-06-03, 01:52 AM
Talic posted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4248799&postcount=32) a gestalt warlock build for those Gestalt build challanges that duke of url was doing a bit back. I always thought it was neat. Involves being undead, which you may or may not like. =D

Solo
2008-06-03, 02:48 AM
Glaivelock/Hellfirewarlock//Melee oriented Bard

monty
2008-06-03, 08:34 AM
Talic posted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4248799&postcount=32) a gestalt warlock build for those Gestalt build challanges that duke of url was doing a bit back. I always thought it was neat. Involves being undead, which you may or may not like. =D

That's where I originally posted my suggestion (it was a different challenge, though). Whatever happened to those, anyway?

Duke of URL
2008-06-03, 09:09 AM
Whatever happened to those, anyway?

I was running low on good ideas, and was getting discouraged by getting only 3 or 4 total votes cast in each contest. Plus, I'm a busy guy. :smallcool: