PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Pondering some things

InaVegt
2008-06-01, 01:43 AM
There have been a couple of things I've been pondering about.

1. Let's say your world doesn't just feature gods, but also pantheons. And we have a pally/cleric which worships that pantheon. And let's say, for the purposes of game mechanics, that you refluffed the divine feats to fit your pantheon. Would it be reasonable to allow a player to take multiple divine feats (from differing gods)? (These feats give a new half-power based on your god, and only when you have a class feature which already gives you two of those)

2. I was toying with the idea of fighting a near endless array of mooks, while trying to convince the BBEG to stop hir evil plans.

Say, we have a bittered human intent on destroying one of the safe places in the world, because it's baron is, in hir eyes, responsible for the death of a loved one. He used some dark ritual to bring the rats from under the sewers to his command, and he sends Giant Rats at the players to deal with while the players try to convince him he should stop. This would be a skill and combat challenge at the same time, and, let's say it's a move action for the average talking to try and convince skill check.

I really like this idea, but would it be feasible?

JaxGaret
2008-06-01, 01:59 AM
1. Let's say your world doesn't just feature gods, but also pantheons. And we have a pally/cleric which worships that pantheon. And let's say, for the purposes of game mechanics, that you refluffed the divine feats to fit your pantheon. Would it be reasonable to allow a player to take multiple divine feats (from differing gods)? (These feats give a new half-power based on your god, and only when you have a class feature which already gives you two of those)

Since you can only use Channel Divinity 1/encounter, no matter how many different types of it you have, then certainly, this would be balanced, if not underpowered. It's rather similar to expanding the Wizard's spellbook - the Wizard can still only prep one Daily spell, but they have a choice of three instead of two. The Cleric would be able to spontaneously cast any of the Channel Divinities that they know, but only 1 per encounter.

2. I was toying with the idea of fighting a near endless array of mooks, while trying to convince the BBEG to stop hir evil plans.

Say, we have a bittered human intent on destroying one of the safe places in the world, because it's baron is, in hir eyes, responsible for the death of a loved one. He used some dark ritual to bring the rats from under the sewers to his command, and he sends Giant Rats at the players to deal with while the players try to convince him he should stop. This would be a skill and combat challenge at the same time, and, let's say it's a move action for the average talking to try and convince skill check.

Absolutely. The 4e system would shine in just such an encounter scenario, IMO.

Jarlax
2008-06-01, 06:23 AM

its completely feasible. what your looking at is simply two things going on during initiative. everyone rolls their initiative. then each player on their turn can opt to perform the skills needed to participate in the skill challenge or use their actions to defend the party from the rats.

in a classic 4man group you would probably see the fighter and wizard dealing with the rats while the cleric and rouge switch between diplomacy and bluff to try and talk down the BBEG

the XP gained at the end of the encounter is simply the number of rats killed (if your still running with the endless horde concept) + the XP received from the skill challenge. if it was me i wouldn't go past a complexity 3 or 4 skill challenge because you don't want the fight to drag out so long the minions overrun the party. at complexity 4 if you have two party members to can participate in the skill challenge its going to go for at least 5 rounds with the party members involved in the challenge not contributing as much to the fight.