PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Roles

Godric
2008-06-01, 11:05 AM
So I've heard a bit about secondary roles, like this:

Fighter: Defender/Striker
Wizard: Controller/Striker
Paladin: Defender/Leader

What are the other classes somewhat primary/secondary roles?

JaxGaret
2008-06-01, 11:08 AM
Fighter: Defender/Striker
Wizard: Controller/Striker
Paladin: Defender/Leader
Ranger: Striker/Controller (but mostly just a Striker)
Rogue: Striker/Controller + Skillmonkey
Warlock: Striker/Controller
Warlord: Leader/Defender
Cleric: Leader/Controller

Charity
2008-06-01, 11:17 AM
I agree with most of those ^,
I'll add
Cleric as a Leader/controler

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-01, 11:18 AM
Yep. The first mention of that idea was courtesy of yours truly, Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81962)

Basically, you have a role, and then you have the way you approach it. THAT is what the secondary roles are.

For example, the fighter. He's a defender, but if you look at his powers, most of them do a damage only beaten by pure strikers. Like Dragon's Fang or Storm of Destruction, which are, far and away, the most powerful powers outside of Rogues, Rangers, and Warlocks, in regards to damage.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-01, 11:20 AM
Hmm, Cleric can also serve as Defender, depending on power selection.

The Necroswanso
2008-06-01, 11:32 AM
Last night me and my group started a second level game, where, through higher stats and better rolls than me, our monk became our heaviest fighter. Dealing a butt ton of damage every combat while I was constantly missing with my manuevers.
So, if built right the PHB monk could be a Grappler/Disarmer/Tripper/SpellSaveAgainster/Heavy Striker.

JaxGaret
2008-06-01, 12:23 PM
Last night me and my group started a second level game, where, through higher stats and better rolls than me, our monk became our heaviest fighter. Dealing a butt ton of damage every combat while I was constantly missing with my manuevers.
So, if built right the PHB monk could be a Grappler/Disarmer/Tripper/SpellSaveAgainster/Heavy Striker.

We're assuming average performance over lots of iterations, and the same ability scores as everyone else.

JaxGaret
2008-06-01, 12:27 PM
Hmm, Cleric can also serve as Defender, depending on power selection.

No, they're rather clearly Leader/Controllers. I don't see many, if any, aggro mechanics for the Cleric.

The Necroswanso
2008-06-01, 12:37 PM
We're assuming average performance over lots of iterations, and the same ability scores as everyone else.

Well, if a monk had the same stats as a fighter, from what I saw yesterday they'd be on the same level.

Sir_Dr_D
2008-06-01, 12:40 PM
Without hearing anything about the rangers abilities I would expect it to be a a striker/defender.

Can a rogue be considered a controller with its ability to move enemies around the battle field?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-01, 12:41 PM
Hey, that could be it's role.

JaxGaret
2008-06-01, 12:43 PM
Without hearing anything about the rangers abilities I would expect it to be a a striker/defender.

Can a rogue be considered a controller with its ability to move enemies around the battle field?

That's a good point. I totally missed that.

Alright, I'll change Rogues to Striker/Controllers too.