PDA

View Full Version : 4e - The Melee Attack

XBobbis
2008-06-01, 02:44 PM
I think I might be missing something, and I'm assuming the Q&A is still only 3.5, so here's my question.

Is there any good reason that a normal melee attack would be done instead of an at-will power for some classes?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-01, 02:46 PM
No reason. It's there so that you can't make some ubercheese using the warlord's trick to grant you extra attacks.

Scintillatus
2008-06-01, 02:46 PM
Opportunity attacks, Warlord attack-granting powers, when you don't have access to your power source, etc. There are many reasons.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-01, 02:48 PM
Opportunity attacks, Warlord attack-granting powers, when you don't have access to your power source, etc. There are many reasons.

Nope, no reason. If I could, bet your socks I'd pick Cleave or Reaping strike for those.

Nikolai_II
2008-06-01, 02:48 PM
Well, attacks of opportunity might still be "simple attacks", as might the attacks triggered by Warlord abilities. (I think I heard they would get such ones.. feather me yon oaf etc)

And since everything hits different defences, and your wizard might have picked up the fighters magical sword.. well, sometimes. Probably not very usual, though.

JaxGaret
2008-06-01, 02:50 PM
Nope, no reason. If I could, bet your socks I'd pick Cleave or Reaping strike for those.

No, opportunity attacks and extra attacks granted by other classes are always basic attacks, and don't use attack powers.

Terraoblivion
2008-06-01, 02:51 PM
From what i gather attacks of opportunity use standard weapon attacks and not powers. That and the extra attacks granted by warlords seems to be the only real reasons to use those attacks barring all but the most contrived circumstances.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-01, 02:56 PM
No, opportunity attacks and extra attacks granted by other classes are always basic attacks, and don't use attack powers.

Exactly. Why do you think they are there? Because EVERYONE would be using their at wills instead of the basic attack if they could. A rogue would be nigh unkillable in melee, if he used Sly Flourish or whatever was the name and moved.

XBobbis
2008-06-01, 04:08 PM
Thank you all for the quick replies, short follow up question:

Certain feats (Weapon Focus, for instance) give a bonus to damage rolls. Does this apply to each [W] or at the end?

I.E. Weapon Focus gives +1 Bonus to damage rolls with the chosen weapon group; when I do an attack that's 3[W] with that type of weapon, is it:

3[W]+1 or 3[W+1]?

Edit: Further, power attack specifies melee attacks, does this include at-will powers using weapons?

Scintillatus
2008-06-01, 04:20 PM
Always afterwards unless stated otherwise, I believe? Otherwise the damage bonus becomes much more potent.

Powers are also always included when it says "increases melee damage" or "increases ranged damage" etc.

JaxGaret
2008-06-01, 04:22 PM
Exactly. Why do you think they are there? Because EVERYONE would be using their at wills instead of the basic attack if they could.

Ah, my apologies, I misread your previous post somehow. I'm a bit sleep-deprived at the moment :smallsmile:

A rogue would be nigh unkillable in melee, if he used Sly Flourish or whatever was the name and moved.

Deft Strike.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-01, 04:23 PM
Aah, so that was the name? I stand corrected.

XBobbis
2008-06-01, 04:27 PM
Always afterwards unless stated otherwise, I believe? Otherwise the damage bonus becomes much more potent.

Well, that's kinda what I was thinking. The only problem was the "I believe." I was trying to figure it out for sure; the best I could get to was a similar "I think."

Edit: But then again, even at the most powerful daily powers, it's what, +10 damage on one attack when you're fighting enemies with HP in the multi-hundreds, sometimes even above 1000?

Johnny Blade
2008-06-01, 04:31 PM

Powers are also always included when it says "increases melee damage" or "increases ranged damage" etc.
That's right.
The exact order is weapon dice -> ability modifier -> other stuff.

Page 276 PHB, by the way.