PDA

View Full Version : Tyrants of the playground

Inhuman Bot
2008-06-01, 03:38 PM
Hey, so I was wondering what RTS game peopl elike and why.Could be anything from FFTA to Warcraft to Ebberon Dragonshard to Ganaraa. Also a place to discuss startegy for games and see if anyone else will join a game of impossible creatures. (that would Double the online size currently! :smallwink:)

Rayzin
2008-06-01, 03:43 PM
Warcraft. I watch people playing professionally, an kicking ass at it, and im not bad at ladder myself. It's made for competition and thats what i like about it.

Ronsian
2008-06-01, 04:32 PM
I used to like Warcraft, but got bored by the 15 minute build-up and 30 second battles where you win or lose. Or the enemy rushes and you're doomed. Company of Heroes is awesome. The expansion kinda screwed it over, but they should work out balance changes soon.

MeklorIlavator
2008-06-01, 04:33 PM
Dawn of War: Chainswords+synch kills=awesome. Plus, its fast, which is nice.

Supreme Commander: This game is pretty slow, but building the massive bases bristling with defenses is always nice. Plus, it handles air, land and sea units well, which doesn't happen very often.

Sins of a Solar Empire: This is also a slower game, and its something of a hybrid between turn based 4x games and RTS, but combat looks beautiful and the game flows rather well.

Eakin
2008-06-01, 05:01 PM
FFTA is turn based...

But as for RTS, I'm going to get Sins of a Solar Empire at some point, and that should hold me over until Starcraft 2. Haven't bought any in the last few years, at least since Warcraft 3

Oregano
2008-06-01, 05:10 PM
I have Eberron Dragonshard somewhere never even played it, I'm not a big fan of RTS really, I prefer turn based strategy but one RTS I oddly enjoyed was Star Trek Armada 2, I liked being Romulans and using Phoenix Class ships to totally annihilate the enemy(the be honest Phoenix class were overpowered, they had cloak and a self desturct that made a black hole.)

SolkaTruesilver
2008-06-01, 05:17 PM
Dawn of War: Chainswords+synch kills=awesome. Plus, its fast, which is nice.

I totally do not agree with you.

Baneblade + 2 Leman Russ + 3 Hellhound is the sweetest combo in the world.

With that, you have your company of Orgryn, 3x Heavy Weapon teams with autocannons, and about 5-6 Guard Units to hold the line and whatever the ennemy may try to sneak around your mechanized hammer.

Inhuman Bot
2008-06-01, 05:20 PM
ah yes, SoaSE is a good game. Also I'am really looking forward to SC 2. One thing I dislike is that in RTS games, its boils down to this: resource. army. Attack. win. Forgetting that ingame however, makes it funner.

Pronounceable
2008-06-01, 05:51 PM
The only RTS I've ever really liked is Dungeon Keeper. Take that, you wretched do gooders! Get a taste of your own medicine, you looting bastards! Who's laughing now?

I didn't have to spoonfeed my evil hordes. They were smart enough to live and kill by themselves without any direct intervension on my part (except for the occasional smack).

Sequel is also good, but not anything as good as the original. I also enjoyed Evil Genius as well.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-06-01, 06:39 PM
Sequel is also good, but not anything as good as the original. I also enjoyed Evil Genius as well.

Ahh.. evil Genius.. the fun to create Byzantinely complex traps was a game in itself. Nothing gave me greater pleasure than trap a 7-man elite commando in one of my false entrance..

(off course, I always made sure that when they really wanted to open the High-Security door, it simply "unlocked" right in front of them. The leading mand would then get in.. and I always calculated that the first one would trigger the complex trap killing the whole team..

good times..)

Inhuman Bot
2008-06-01, 07:10 PM
Yeah dungeon keeper is fun. Too bad they didn't end up making DK III.

Maxymiuk
2008-06-01, 07:54 PM
I really like Rise of Nations. Even though they kinda flubbed the naval units, and it becomes more and more problematic to keep your army maneuverable as you advance through the ages - specifically, I mean Enlightment where your crossbowmen become light infantry and join their row, in my case often doubling the formation's width, and then in Industrial Age and onwards where cavalry become vehicles and make the problem worse.

Dawn of War I like mostly for letting me set up specialized strike teams that can plow through (theoretically) stronger enemies. But I avoid multiplayer (this goes for most RTSes - Starcraft and Warcraft in particular) due to the requirement of becoming a speed fiend to even stay competitive.

Shogun: Total War endeared me with its adherence to realistic tactics. Probably because I enjoyed winning against 4 to 1 odds with minimal losses due to creative use of high ground, maneuvering and (in one case) plowing heavy cavalry straight into the lead unit, making the enemy general the first casualty of the battle.

Winterwind
2008-06-02, 05:07 AM
*points to signature*
StarCraft for its nigh constant (and possibly multi-front) action when experienced players face another, the mix of micro and macro, the perfect balance and the incredible variety of strategies.

WarCraft for its focus on micro and the hero mechanic, which is simply fun to play with.

And both for their competetiveness and their depth, the huge potential to improve in them.

Bago!!!
2008-06-02, 05:28 AM
Warcraft III is fun, though its sad that if you lack a hero unit you will lose. I play most of the custom maps on that one than the actuel gameplay.

Starcraft is fun, but I am far too slow to really play it to its full potential. I played on this team with one pro, and by the time I got 5 hydra lisks, he had +20 hydralisks, ??+ Zerglings, and so many buildings with a tunnel about half way destroying the other team.

Stronghold 2 ROCKS! My personal favorite tactic is sending burning carts out at the enemy like crazy, Sending the whole fields ablaze. If only it worked, but still... THE FIRE!!!!

The Heroes of Might and Magic games totatlly rock. Necromancers all the way!

Xefas
2008-06-02, 05:46 AM
I totally do not agree with you.

Baneblade + 2 Leman Russ + 3 Hellhound is the sweetest combo in the world.

With that, you have your company of Orgryn, 3x Heavy Weapon teams with autocannons, and about 5-6 Guard Units to hold the line and whatever the ennemy may try to sneak around your mechanized hammer.

You're both wrong! Chaos Heretics are the greatest unit in the whole game. "Why", you ask?

"Finally, my second squad of tactical marines is complete! Now for the Force Commander! Wait...whats...whats THAT?! OH GOD, WHY?! THIS IS TIER 1! AHHHH, WHY DOES HE HAVE THREE DEFILERS ALREADY?! BLARGH" *die*

Slightly exaggerated, but indicative of the point. Two Heretics on Forced Labor equals a 450% build rate. With that, it's something like 12.7 seconds to build a Chaos Temple and 10 seconds to build a Machine Pit.

Winterwind
2008-06-02, 06:50 AM
Warcraft III is fun, though its sad that if you lack a hero unit you will lose. I play most of the custom maps on that one than the actuel gameplay.Well, I have seen replays in which somebody won without using heroes, though I strongly suspect his opponent was of... sub-par quality. But yeah, it is difficult to accomplish. Personally, I don't mind, since I like using heroes. :smallbiggrin:
Still, there are quite a lot of people who share your preferences. In the GitP WC3 group we play almost solely custom maps as well (*hint, hint :smallwink:*), even though I wished we played a bit more melee every now and then.

Starcraft is fun, but I am far too slow to really play it to its full potential. I played on this team with one pro, and by the time I got 5 hydra lisks, he had +20 hydralisks, ??+ Zerglings, and so many buildings with a tunnel about half way destroying the other team.The key to that is the word "now". Instead of saying "I am far too slow" you should say "I am far too slow now", and proceed to figuring out what that guy did differently than you (build-order-wise) :smallwink:. That alone should help a lot; the rest is practice.
This is kinda my main reason why I like StarCraft in the first place - I enjoy seeing how I get better, and StarCraft offers so much room to get better...

Inhuman Bot
2008-06-02, 08:46 AM
*headdesk*:smallfurious: I can't get onto battle.net for WC SC or diablo. Is this happening to anyone else?:smallconfused:

Winterwind
2008-06-02, 08:59 AM
Sorry; my BNet's working just fine. :smallfrown:
You should check whether the Blizzard support page (http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=20792&searchQuery=telnet&pageNumber=1) Leper_Kahn linked you to in the WarCraft thread is of any help; that's the only suggestion I can think of.

LBO
2008-06-02, 09:12 AM
Total Annihilation. Among the oldest, still the best.

LordVader
2008-06-02, 01:46 PM
Dawn of War and Sins kick ass.

Inhuman Bot
2008-06-04, 08:06 PM
Hmm, so dpes anyone know if "overlord" is worth it? I kinda liked what I played of it, but I'd like your opinion.

Cynan Machae
2008-06-04, 08:12 PM
Same as Winter here, I really enjoy SC and play a lot, for all the things he said (Balance, stategy, how the game evolved, it'S complexity to master, etc). I enjoy a bit of WC3 too but I suck at it :smalltongue: (well, I'm not bad, but compared to most people I played with, yes :smallwink:)

Rayzin
2008-06-04, 08:40 PM
Dawn of War was great except when I play online the people suck, and also i only have Dawn of War. No expansion.

Fri
2008-06-06, 05:55 AM
No one mentioned Company of Heroes? The best RTS hand down. I wish there would be more game with COH engine. Like, a sci-fi one, or fantasy one.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-06, 06:23 AM
Myth II - Soulblighter.

Best. Strategan Game. Ever.

bobothegoat
2008-06-06, 08:39 AM
Myth II - Soulblighter.

Best. Strategan Game. Ever.
QFT. Too bad I lost my CD for it years ago...