PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler Dip

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-06-01, 05:00 PM
I'm starting a Gnome Beguiler shortly for an IRC game, and I need a dip to delay my 2nd advanced learning. I'm hitting Shadowcraft Mage at 9, but my skills are all allocated till then(dang spellcraft), so I can't go Mindbender. I've got 2 free feats, and am taking Greater/Spell Focus Illusion, Heighten, and Shadow Weave already(though I can drop one of those). Help?

Kurald Galain
2008-06-01, 05:13 PM
For a random suggestion, Warlock, and take the Beguiling Influence invocation. It's certainly fitting...

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-06-01, 05:36 PM
I wish I could, but I need a PRC that advances my Beg. casting on the first level, so that when Beguiler 7 hits I have 4th level spells, and can take Shadow Conjuration to make it into Shadowcraft Mage at 9th instead of 12th.

Damurxac
2008-06-01, 05:42 PM
Hm... I'd consider Mage of the Arcane Order. It'll cost you both feats, but give you (limited) access to all sorc/wizard spells of third level or lower.

Of course, it's also (without some major re-fluffing, at least) tied to some kind of organization, so it may not fly for reasons other than the purely mechanical ones.

Failing that, take a look at rainbow servant. (Assuming your GM is using the text trumps table errata - otherwise it won't increase casting at first level.) For obvious reasons, you shouldn't even be considering taking ten levels in it - but a one level dip is certainly reasonable if the alignment matches.

There are probably a few other viable options in books I'm not as familiar with, but that's what I can come up with off the top of my head.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-06-01, 07:56 PM
Mindbender requires a few cross-class skills to enter, but unhindered casting progression and telepathy goodness (mindsight, anyone?) would make you an invaluable asset to the party.

Lemur
2008-06-02, 12:09 AM
What are your skills, anyway? Unfortunately, a lot of the better prestige classes require some, and it would help a lot if you had 8 or 12 points available by 6th level. Mage of the Arcane Order and Incantatrix probably have the easiest entry requirements based on your specifications assuming you already have Knowledge (Arcana).

Unseen Seer would be good, but I imagine that it would be invalidated for the same reason as Mindbender, as the skill requisites are fairly steep. However, it's worth a look if you already have your ranks in hide, search, spot, and some sense motive. Another option is Wild Mage, which still requires some skill investment on your part, but is also worthwhile. If you do take Wild Mage, I'd recommend putting your last free feat in Practiced Spellcaster, as this will negate your caster level penalty from Wild Mage entirely.

Chronicled
2008-06-02, 12:34 AM
Mindbender requires a few cross-class skills to enter, but unhindered casting progression and telepathy goodness (mindsight, anyone?) would make you an invaluable asset to the party.

+1. The only cross class skill is Intimidate, and that's not a huge problem.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-06-02, 12:38 AM
Well, my skills just got much better, as we now have a Rogue to hep share th load. I'm taking Balance and Bluff to 5, max Concentration for the near future for casting, as well as Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Spot, and UMD. Start Tumble as soon as possible, and Hide was just for the 4 rank pre-req. The problem is, most of the skills I want are opposed, so I can't get to a reliable point and then stop.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-02, 01:20 PM
Can't you just ask your DM if you can wait a bit before using your Advanced Learning? It probablt wouldn't be that gamebreaking if you did that.

monty
2008-06-02, 01:25 PM
Ask your DM if he'll let you use the Heighten trick to qualify with a lower-level spell.