PDA

View Full Version : Eberron DMing Tips

Samakain
2008-06-01, 06:50 PM
http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/1001_and_more_Things_that_the_worst_party_in_Eberr on_is_forbidden_from_doing

Just found this highly valueable resource

thought i'd share XD

if there where a top 10 things-you-cannot-do you could issuse to your gaming group without appearing like a gimp, what would they be? both IR and in-game?

bosssmiley
2008-06-02, 05:31 AM
*real* Eberron GMing tips

1) Watch the Indy trilogy, the two Mummy films, National Treasure, The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, oh and the opening animations for a few JRPGS
2) Take lots of speed (or just IV caffeine :smallwink: )
3) GM
4) ???
5) Profit!

d-dave
2008-06-02, 05:49 AM
As for top 10 good things I can/could think of:

1. Have a reoccuring villian
2. Have the characters betrayed by an NPC, or for fun, another character
3. Use the dragonmarked houses, a lot
4. Use the eberron exclusive transportations for flavor
5. Adventuring in the Mournland is so much fun as a DM.
6. Adventuring on Xen'Drik is even more fun as a DM!
7. Adventuring on Agronessian is even double-plus fun for a DM!!!1!
8. Try to tie campaign hooks into multiple character back grounds. The more complex, the better.
9. The Draconic Prophecy is there to give you a "Because I said so" for free card
10. Changlings. Enough said there.

Devils_Advocate
2008-06-02, 04:38 PM
Eberron is filled with so much espionage, counterespionage, subtle manipulation of events, and other clandestine activities by so many groups -- half of which most people don't even know exist -- that the PCs are bound to stumble across some sort of secret plot sooner or later.

Often the people responsible will be good guys. There will also often be conflicts of interest that don't have clear bad guys or good guys. And due to the secretive natures of the parties involved, the PCs may not even be able figure out what's really going on, at least right away, and may even wind up completely mistaken about any number of things.

quiet1mi
2008-06-03, 09:47 PM
what would you recommend for a Dm that is new to Eberron and has newish players.

sonofzeal
2008-06-03, 10:00 PM
what would you recommend for a Dm that is new to Eberron and has newish players.
Prepackaged modules are always a nice start. Play those until you feel confortable, then discard whatever the others say and take the plot in your own direction, with liberal use of Eberron Campaign Setting for locations, NPCs, organizations, and general political landscape.

Do note that Eberron is, by some measures, a "low magic" setting. Magic has a profound impact on civilization there, to be sure, but serious spellcasters are extremely rare and even the most legendary of the listed NPCs hardly ever get above 7th lvl spells.

Tokiko Mima
2008-06-04, 12:52 AM
Do note that Eberron is, by some measures, a "low magic" setting. Magic has a profound impact on civilization there, to be sure, but serious spellcasters are extremely rare and even the most legendary of the listed NPCs hardly ever get above 7th lvl spells.

So by "low magic" you mean "magic in Eberron is not as earth shatteringly powerful and universally applied and used as would be possible with a strict reading of the PHB" and "It's just used to make trains run and ships fly as well as shaping the entire fabric of society?" That kinda low magic? :smalltongue:

tyckspoon
2008-06-04, 01:07 AM
So by "low magic" you mean "magic in Eberron is not as earth shatteringly powerful and universally applied and used as would be possible with a strict reading of the PHB" and "It's just used to make trains run and ships fly as well as shaping the entire fabric of society?" That kinda low magic? :smalltongue:

I'm sure somebody will point out how this is wrong by strict (and not universally-agreed upon) definitions, but I would call Eberron high fantasy, low magic. No, that's not oxymoronic. It's certainly very fantastic; magic is woven into the reality of daily life. But the scale of those magics is fairly limited. Eberron doesn't have the world-conquering grand mages and near-deific priests that you get pretty regularly in traditional D&D settings. In that respect, it's low magic. You could fairly accurately call it high magic as well, but you'll need to add a third term to define the potency of the magic in order to distinguish it from high-magic, high-magic-power settings.

Tough_Tonka
2008-06-04, 01:30 AM
If I might venture to be more specific with my advice, I might suggest you start out you game with some relic hunting/exploring.

At low levels (1-5ish) I'd suggest goblin ruins or old battle fields, testing labs and ruins form the last war. Initial patrons could be Morgrave University (trying to get goblin relics or reports on more recent history) or interested nobles and Dragon Mark Families (trying to reclaim relics or weapons lost during the last war).

At mid (5-10) anywhere on Khorvaire is prety much fair game you could also give places like Xen'drik, Arenal, Frost Fell and even the Khyber a try. Reasons for adventuring could still be academic (searching ruins for a University), but could also include stopping some bad guys or evil organization (Emerald Claw Anyone) from getting hold of a deadly ancient or recently developed super weapon or from releasing a terrible evil force. Remember by this point the characters should be pretty well known in at least some parts (or organizations) of the world.

High (10+) Feel free to go anywhere including the planes. Every dump the characters take at this point is well documented in the prophecy at this point . The fate of nations hang in the balance, war can start or be prevented by what the heroes do now. Examples Finding a means (ancient relic, ritual, or just killing the hidden BBEG) to prevent an invasion from Sarlonna, Xoriat , Qal Quar.

You can expand these expeditions can be complicated with some of the following:
1. The heroes have to deal with the locals (perhaps hostile savages, but not necessarily, they could easily be farmers whose farm is build over an ancient temple) the heroes might have to fight/run away from them or deal with them in a peaceful manor for there aid or permission to excavate.

2. The heroes run into another band of adventures. They could be rivals or they could be allies. They might seem to be helping but eventually betray the heroes. They try to follow the heroes and wait for them to bring the treasure to the entrance and try to take it from them.

3. Politics (note 2 can just be a part of 3). A rival scholar/noble/organization wants the treasures the heroes have been hired/decided to search for. They might try to hire the heroes themselves or send 2 or soldiers to stop them. They might claim (with or without validation) the objects the heroes have just plundered through legal means (just trial adventure) and illegal means (assassins and thieves). The items found could cause political upheaval, causing people to rise (heroes patrons usually) or go down in station. Example heroes find out the sir whatshisname sold out his own troops for gold pieces or an ambitious (hob)goblin want to find a Dhakaani relic to further his station in the court of Darguun.

It took a while to write so I hope you appreciate it :smallsmile:

Edit: I should have quoted quiet1mi