PDA

View Full Version : eschew materials,somatic,vocal...

quiet1mi
2008-06-01, 08:05 PM
quick question regarding the conceal spell casting form complete scoundrel (page 85ish)...

Does it ignore the required things (vocal,material,somatic) necessary to cast a spell...

Does conceal spell casting conceal the vocal,somatic and the drawing of materials?

Do the enemies monsters notice that i am reaching into my spell component pouch to cast sleep at them? (maybe this is what the spot check is for)

Is eschew materials worth the 1st level feat for a changeling beguiler that does not want to be noticed as a spell caster?...

The alternative to Eschew materials is improved initiative to catch my enemies off guard (surprise casting ups the DC by 1)(we are starting at level 2)
This is a little bit unrelated but can a changeling take 20 on his disguise check if there is someone to check to see if it will work (normally it is a full-round action to change yourself)(6 seconds).

Chronos
2008-06-01, 08:18 PM
1: You still need all the components; it just means that enemies don't notice them. Otherwise, it would make Still Spell and Silent Spell completely obsolete (getting both of those effects, with no adjustment to the spell level, for less than the cost of a single feat, would be insanely unbalanced).

2: If successful, it conceals all aspects of spellcasting. It wouldn't be much use if your opponents could still tell that you were getting things out of your spell component pouch, saying magic words, and making funny gestures.

3: Isn't this the same question as 2?

4: This is much a matter of taste, but I would recommend against it. The only time that Eschew Materials really becomes significant is when the DM throws you in a prison without any of your equipment, or something like that, and those situations are rare.

5: Improved Initiative is a useful feat for anyone. But depending on where you're planning on taking the character, there may be better choices.

6: As long as you finish up the disguise before anyone you're trying to fool sees you, there's no penalty for failure on Disguise, and you're allowed to try again. Therefore, you should be able to take 20.

quiet1mi
2008-06-01, 08:37 PM
Thanks Chronos for answering all my questions so quickly...

wow you would not believe what spells do not require material components...

alright improved initiative instead...unless there is a better feat to take at level 1 for a general beguiler (using a bit of illusion and a bit of enchantment)

banned books include BOed and BOvd...

Aquillion
2008-06-01, 08:56 PM
6: As long as you finish up the disguise before anyone you're trying to fool sees you, there's no penalty for failure on Disguise, and you're allowed to try again. Therefore, you should be able to take 20.No, you can't.

You get only one Disguise check per use of the skill, even if several people are making Spot checks against it. The Disguise check is made secretly, so that you can’t be sure how good the result is. You don't know when you've done badly (until one of the guards is charging at you screaming "Hey, stop, you're not the Duke!"), so you can't retry until you do well, and therefore you can't take 20. You can 'retry' in that if one guard spots you you can rush off, hide somewhere, and disguise yourself again, but obviously you can't "grind" that in the fashion necessary to take 20.

Chronos
2008-06-01, 10:11 PM
He specified that he has an ally looking over the disguise and critiquing it, so he presumably does know when he did badly.

UserClone
2008-06-01, 10:13 PM
With its limited scope of spells (at least in terms of school selection) SF/GSF actually become somewhat attractive to Beguilers.