PDA

View Full Version : The Cooking Pot: Recipe Sharing Thread!

Dryken
2008-06-01, 09:42 PM
Share all sorts of yummy recipes here!

So today I made some pretty yummy things for dinner. Kale Chips (which are VERY addictive) and a creamy garlic chickpea soup. And...here is the recipe!

Kale Chips
1-2 big bunches of kale
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon oil
coarse salt (to taste) or favorite seasoning blend (we love hot n' spicy Spike)

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350.
Wash and de-stem kale. Chop or tear into "chip" size pieces.
Spread onto baking sheet. Pour the apple cider vinegar, oil and seasoning (1-2 tablespoons) onto kale. Mix to coat all pieces.
Bake for 10 minutes or until crispy. Serve immediately!

Creamy Garlic Chickpea Soup
4 cups cooked chickpeas
3 large carrots
3 large stalks celery
1 large white onion
1 large red bell pepper (capsicum)
1 large ripe tomato
1 bulb fresh garlic (yes, an entire bulb)
6 medium to large button mushrooms
6 cups water
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp poultry seasoning (a mixture of sage, thyme, rosemary, parsley, pepper)
1/2 tbsp each paprika and cumin
salt and pepper to taste

optional:
~up to 2 cups plain soy milk (not heavily sweetened)
~1/2 cup white wine
~croutons (i make my own)
~vegan "cheese" for garnish

Clean, trim, peel etc. all veggies and coarsely chop them. Add them (except for the tomato) to a large pot along with the chickpeas, the water, and all the seasonings. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for about half an hour. Strain the soup, reserving the broth. Puree the cooked veggies and chickpeas with the chopped tomato and enough of the broth to make a creamy paste. Return to the pot with the remaining broth and heat on low. Add your white wine at this point, if desired, as well as enough of the soy milk (or extra water) to thin the soup to the consistancy you desire. Serve in bowls topped with a dollop of Earth Balance, a handful of the croutons, a sprinkling of the "cheese", and a few sprigs of fresh parsley. Easy and delicious!

reorith
2008-06-01, 10:02 PM
i recognize the kale chip recipe from vegweb.com

Brickwall
2008-06-01, 10:05 PM
Since you're probably a veggie, what with those meat-free recipies, I warn you that I'm about to offend your sensibilities, whether you're in it for health or animal-saving.

Take one hot dog.
Take one slice of roast beef.
Take some cheese, mozzerella is best.
Wrap hotdog in beef.
Sprinkly cheese.
Microwave a bit longer than you normally would a hotdog.
Place in bun or eat with fork and knife.

That, my friends, is a Brickwall sandwich. :smallbiggrin:

You can add lots more, like onions or saurkraut or ketchup or other meats, but the basic concept is wrapping a hotdog in other meat.

Jack Squat
2008-06-01, 10:17 PM
I've got some recipes that I'll dig up when I've got more freetime.

Also, if anyone's interested, there was a thread on this before; well past the "make a new thread" deadline, but still a good place to grab recipes from.

Recipes to share! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45162&highlight=recipe)

There's a few others...but this is the one I remembered.

Agamid
2008-06-01, 10:46 PM
Haloumi, Tomato, Cucumber and Mint Salad
This is one of my favourite dishes. Just love it.

Serves 4.

Ingredients:
100g Haloumi, thinly sliced (1/2cm or so, tinner is better)
2tbs olive oil
2 Lebanese cucumbers
250g cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup of mint leaves, chopped
1tbs balsamic vinegar

Method
1. Peel cucumbers and slice lengthwise and then into thirds and place onto a serving platter.
2. In a bowl combine mint and tomatoes and toss until tomatoes are covered.
3. In a separate bowl combine remaining oil and vinegar before adding to tomatoes.
4. Place 1tbs of oil in a fry pan and heat over high heat. When hot add Haloumi and quickly brown on both sides. Place Haloumi on paper towels to soak excess oil. Season with pepper.
5. Drizzle salad with vinegar/oil dressing before topping with tomato mix.
Serve at once.

If you haven't had haloumi before, it might be an idea to practice cooking it a couple of times first - it's really good just eaten with a bit of pepper on its own - as it can be a bit scary to cook. You seriously just want to brown both sides of it.
I've found Haloumi that's at least a week old cooks so much better than fresh haloumi as it crumbles and gets all crispy and nice.

Felixaar
2008-06-02, 06:44 AM
Agamid, what is haloumi?

This ones a really great budget meal, it gets lots of nutrients into you while still being cheap.

Felix's mega-cool ultimate pasta! woo!
(yes, it really is called that.)

Okay, so you'll need...
Pasta (duh), any kind will do but cheap stuff from the supermarket is what I use.
A large can of tomatoes whole or chopped, not puree'd.
A carrot thicker better than thinner, shorter better than longer.
A zucchini same as above
Broccolli! best vegetable after potatoes
Any meats you may wish to add not necessary, but some of us are more canivourous than others. I reccomend Kabana, lightly fried in butter.
Herbs and Spices I reccomend Garlic, Oregano and Basil but its up to you.
Oil/Butter for frying, only if you have meat.

Alright, now...
1 Get a pot boiling to cook up your pasta, simple enough - I basically assume you know how to make pasta (boil water, put pasta in till it's limp, take it out again (With a strainer! Not your hands, a strainer!))
2 Alright. If you decided to include meat, get out a frypan, and melt some butter or add some oil, get the pan hot, and toss in your meat. Cook it well.
3 In the meantime, blend your tomatoes together in a blender. For some extra flavour, try adding some garlic, oregano, basil, or whatever (those three are my usual mix) for flavour.
4 Once your tomatoes are well blended, pour the sauce into the frypan with the meat - get it nice and hot so that it's bubbling, and leave it to simmer.
5 Okay, now you grate your carrot and zuchhinni and toss them into the simmering sauce, stir them up nicely. Then get your broccolli, hold it over the sauce, and just sort of shave off the florets with a knife - try to get it in smaller, rather than bigger, peices. Brocolli is great because it really soaks up the sauce... excellence.
6 Add the pasta to the sauce, stir it around, and serve! Woo!

Agamid
2008-06-02, 08:52 AM
Agamid, what is haloumi?
It's a rather hard Cypriot cheese that's served (usually) either panfried or grilled.
It's quite salty and 'meaty', but just amazing. You can cook it and serve it just with pepper (or pepper and lemon juice), or do something more elaborate like the salad i posted.
I know that in Oz you can buy it in most regular supermarkets (Woolworths, IGA, etc) but i'm sure you could get it in a specialty deli else where in the world.

Mushroom Lasagne
My signature dish.

Serves 8

Ingredients:
Lasagne Sheets
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 onion, finely chopped
500g tinned tomatoes (chopped)
Salt and pepper
675g mushrooms
75g butter
2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
Juice of ½ lemon
1 ½ cups cheddar & Parmesan cheese
4 cups béchamel sauce

Béchamel Sauce
160g butter
160g flour
1.6ltr milk

1. Melt butter in saucepan
2. Take of heat and stir in flour until paste
3. Slowly add milk, continuing to stir, place back over heat
4. Stir constantly until thickens

Lasagne

1. Butter large baking dish (lasagne dish)
2. In small fry pan heat oil and simmer onions until translucent. Add tomato and cook for 6-8 min, stirring often. Season and set aside.
3. Wash mushrooms then slice finely. Heat 40g butter in large frypan, when bubbling add mushrooms. Cook until mushies begin to exude juices. Add lemon juice, garlic and seasoning. Cook until liquids are almost all evaporated and mushies begin to brown.
4. Make béchamel sauce:
5. Preheat oven to 200°C (that's about 390F)
6. Assemblage:
➢ Spread one large spoon of béchamel sauce over dish base
➢ Arrange layer of pasta sheets
➢ Mushrooms
➢ Béchamel sauce
➢ Sprinkle with cheese
➢ Pasta Sheets
➢ Tomato
➢ Béchamel
➢ Cheese
➢ Pasta
7. Repeat, ending with a layer of tomato topped with béchamel sprinkled with cheese and dotted with butter.
8. Bake for at least half and hour before removing and allowing to cool for 5 min before serving.

Just as good reheated the next day. Can take up to an hour to cook, depending on your oven, whether you use dried or fresh lasagne sheets, and how cold the various layers get before they're all assembled.
My tip for the B-sauce is to, after mixing the melted butter and flour together mixing the milk in slowly (about a cup at a time) and well (no lumps!) before returning it to the stove-top.

-----------------------

Fettucini Aglio
A really quick and easy pasta dish that can be whipped up in a matter of minutes, and the heat of which can easily adjusted to individual tastes.

Serves: 4

Ingredients
350g fettuchini (or spaghetti, and the amount can be adjusted if you're a big, or little eater)
Olive oil
2 - 4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp of hot dried chillies
salt and pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley
Grated parmesan for serving

(Optional)
Rocket and Cherry Tomatoes for serving

Method
Cook pasta as per usual, then set aside.
Heat a generous splash of olive in a pan and add the garlic and chilli.
Fry gently for 2 minutes.
Add the pasta and parsley and season well.
Toss until pasta is well coated and serve with freshly grated parmesan.

This is just as good cold the next day. Lived off it at my last job - would make it in the evening for dinner, then eat left-overs for lunch at work the next day.

... i'm full of recipes... am the cook of the house and the only vego in the house, so i have to invent or find all my own.

Tom_Violence
2008-06-02, 09:15 AM
Since you're probably a veggie, what with those meat-free recipies, I warn you that I'm about to offend your sensibilities, whether you're in it for health or animal-saving.

Take one hot dog.
Take one slice of roast beef.
Take some cheese, mozzerella is best.
Wrap hotdog in beef.
Sprinkly cheese.
Microwave a bit longer than you normally would a hotdog.
Place in bun or eat with fork and knife.

That, my friends, is a Brickwall sandwich. :smallbiggrin:

You can add lots more, like onions or saurkraut or ketchup or other meats, but the basic concept is wrapping a hotdog in other meat.

Adventurous. I see why you felt that deserved a name. :smalltongue: Here's mine:
Take a pizza.
Put another pizza on top of it.
Eat.

InaVegt
2008-06-02, 09:37 AM
Warning, someone's favourite meal coming up.

French Bean Mash Pot.
Cheap and tasty.

Serves 6.

Ingredients
1 kilogramme of potatoes
250 grammes of rasped cheese (Use more if you want a vegetarian meal)
500 grammes of french beans
200 millilitres of milk
Two large teaspoons of salt

Preperation

Cook the potatoes and the beans, in seperate pans, add the salt to the potatoes while cooking.
Get rid of all the water.
Throw everything together, and mash it.
Heat up a little to recover the lost heat.
Serve, with meat of your own.

Ionizer
2008-06-02, 10:24 AM
Not so much a recipe as a method, but I'll post it anyway:

Ionizer's Better Ramen Noodles.

Ingredients: Ramen noodle package (personal favorite:Cajun Chicken), water.

Method: Boil water a medium pot. Add Ramen noodles (I usually make two packages at once, but I'm a fatty) to boiling water, set flavor pack aside. Cook noodles until they are done (I like mine to still have a little bit of a bite to them). Drain almost all of the water from the noodles. Mix in flavor packet (if you drained too much water, you're gonna have a brick of soggy, sticky noodles with a lump of seasoning on top, not good). I personally like to mic in the flavor packet in 3-4 installments so I get a coating of seasoning on all the noodles. Enjoy! The benefit of making the Ramen noodles this way (instead of the standard way) is that you get flavored noodles. The other way, you get limp, soggy noodles in slightly-flavored water.

Okay, that was stupid. Try it if you want.

BTW, that hotdog wrapped in deli meats is a good idea. I'll try that next time I get hotdogs and deli meat.

Felixaar
2008-06-03, 06:12 AM
It's a rather hard Cypriot cheese that's served (usually) either panfried or grilled.
It's quite salty and 'meaty', but just amazing. You can cook it and serve it just with pepper (or pepper and lemon juice), or do something more elaborate like the salad i posted.
I know that in Oz you can buy it in most regular supermarkets (Woolworths, IGA, etc) but i'm sure you could get it in a specialty deli else where in the world.

I live in Cairns and (used to) work in Woolworths, so easy enough. Ill make sure yo try some. is it edible uncooked?

also, IGA is the devil!

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-03, 06:54 AM
Add either ketchup or Sate to anything you eat from the BBQ.(I'm dutch, not american)

Not sharing recipes, if I did. Everybody could, like be better then me and I would suck and stand alone in a corner.

Agamid
2008-06-03, 09:23 AM
I live in Cairns and (used to) work in Woolworths, so easy enough. Ill make sure yo try some. is it edible uncooked?
Awesome, well you can buy it from most Woolworths in the section with all the packets of special cheeses (the bries, jarlsberg, etc). A company called Lemnos makes it and it looks like this:
http://www.kyodo-inc.co.jp/english/food/lemnos/img/p_haloumi2.jpg
I've bought it from the deli counter before but it was WAY too salty.
I don't think you can eat it uncooked... certainly i've never tried and i've never seen any recipes asking for it raw...

also, IGA is the devil!
haha, well that may be true, but they're certainly better than coles.

Inhuman Bot
2008-06-03, 07:18 PM
I tried some of these, and there pretty good. I'll look for a recipe to post now.

Ah!
I can't find my no-bake cookie recipe but heres:
Peanut marshmellow slice
Ingrediants
1/2 Cup of butter, 1 cup of butter, 2 cups of butterscotch chips, 3 Cups of minimarshmellows.

Instructions: Place butter, peanut butter& Butterscotch chips in a double boiler to Melt. Cool-fold in Marshmellows. Place in buttered 12x8 pan. Refrigerate. Eat. yum :smallsmile:.
I'll do more later.

Mauve Shirt
2008-06-03, 07:21 PM
I put this in the last recipe thread. Delicious cake!

The Game of Life Cake

Mix together: 2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened powdered cocoa

Add to cocoa mixture: 2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Add to the above: 2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup coffee, brewed and cooled

Add gradually: 1 cup boiling water (may be boiled in microwave of stovetop)

Pour mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan, bake at 350 degrees (preheat oven)
for 30-35 minutes. Top with powdered sugar for the REAL Game of Life
Cake, or your favorite icing. This recipe halves easily for an 8x8 pan.

ZombieRockStar
2008-06-03, 08:38 PM
Hmm...*looks in recipe file for some good ones*

Zombie's "I swear this is the only way to make eggplant taste good" Eggplant in a Pita

Eggplant Croquettes

1 medium-sized eggplant
Approx. 1½ cups breadcrumbs
1 small onion, or even a couple of shallots, finely diced
½ cup grated Parmesan
2 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
Some chopped parsley (fresh, preferably, but whatever)
Salt and pepper to taste
As much vegetable oil (canola or peanut) as you need for frying

Slit the eggplant in a couple of places to let the air out, then boil in (somewhat heavily) salted water for about 15 mins, or until soft. Drain and let cool for a while until you can hold it comfortably. Then cut off all the peel. Put in a bowl and mash into a pulp (or maybe just use a food processor/blender to cut it up).

Combine the pulp with the breadcrumbs, onion, cheese, eggs, parsley, baking powder, S&P. Shape into small patties or croquettes and roll in some extra breadcrumbs.

Heat the oil in a frying pan (should be at least a couple cm/½-inch deep), and fry the patties until GB on both sides. Drain on some paper towel.

Sauce

1 cup vegetable stock (or chicken, if you must)
6 tbsp tomato paste
Some chopped parsley and cilantro
½ tbsp cumin
1 tbsp lemon juice
Maybe just a dash of chili powder if you want some zest, but this isn't supposed to be a hot sauce

Heat the vegetable stock, then stir in the tomato paste. Add the rest of the ingredients and heat until it has thickened.

Place the eggplant croquettes in an opened half pita (what works best is if you cut the pita in half and just microwave it for 15 secs to open it up). Add some sauce and garnish with lettuce or whatever else you think might be good. I just likes the lettuce.

And personal favourite ('cause I likes Mexican food):

Bean Quesadillas

Olive oil
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 15oz. can of black beans (rinse...definitely rinse)
½ package of frozen corn (or just a small package...whatever)
1 green bell pepper
2 tomatoes, cut into pieces
Salt, pepper, coriander, chili powder
Enough tortilla shells as needed (this recipe makes about 6 whole quesadillas)
Shredded cheese mix (Cheddar/Monterey Jack)

Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Sauté the garlic and onions for a few minutes, then add the pepper, beans, corn, and tomatoes. Cook until heated through, then mix in the spices.

Heat a little bit of oil in another, smaller pan. On one tortilla, place some cheese, some of the mix, some more cheese, then another tortilla. Place in the frying pan and cook until one side is brown and the cheese is melting. Carefully flip, and cook the other side. Serve with copious amounts of sour cream and salsa on top, or not. Whatever.

And, for dessert:

Lemon Meringue Pie

Note: I keep adjusting this crust recipe. My dad is of the opinion that you can't get a good flaky pie crust without lard. I disagree; I have made a perfect crust at least once...now, if I could only remember the exact measurements. :smallsigh:

Second note: Not over-mixing the pie crust and then keeping it cool is key (if you have naturally warm hands like me, wash them in cold water and dry off right before actually handling the dough).

Crust

1½ cups all-purpose flour
⅜ cup shortening
½ tsp salt
5 tbsp cold water

Mix flour with salt. Add in the shortening and cut into it with a fork and mix with the flour. Add the cold water and mix together just enough to mix it together (remember, don't over-mix). Cover and put into the fridge for about half an hour.

When ready, roll out on a flat surface covered with flour...with a rolling pin covered in flour. Just keep covering it with flour. When you think you have enough flour, keep covering it. :smalltongue.

Put it in the pie dish (my trick is to wrap it around the rolling pin and then unwrap it over the dish, and carefully set it in place without stretching it). Don't flute the edges, just tear off the excess. Perforate the bottom a dozen or so times with a fork. Put into the oven at 450 F for about 10 minutes.

Filling

1¼ cups white sugar
¼ cup flour
3 tbsp corn starch
¼ tsp or so of salt
2½ cups boiling water
3 egg yolks
1 tbsp butter/margarine
½ cup lemon juice
Zest of one lemon

Whisk the sugar, flour, corn starch and salt in a sauce pan. Beat the egg yolks while adding some of the boiling water to temper them (so they dont scramble during cooking). Add the water, eggs, butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest to the pan in that order and heat over medium-high heat until thickened.

Meringue

6 egg whites
3 tbsp white sugar

Beat together with an electric beater of some kind...immersion blender, whatever. Just...not with a hand blender. >_< Beat until very stiff (best way of telling is to lift up the beater and see if there's a small cone of meringue that still sticks even sideways).

Put the hot filling into the cooked pie crust, then immediately pour the meringue on top and let it spread out. Place back in the oven just until the meringue is golden on top.

I gots dozens more...most of them just cribbed off the Food Network. >_> I love Everyday Italian.