PDA

View Full Version : Order Of The Stick Series On TV?!

P.Mina
2008-06-02, 01:32 AM
What happens if there was an Order Of The Stick cartoon On TV?!
Your ideas. I must break wind.:biggrin:

Regneva
2008-06-02, 03:35 AM
Very very old...

ref
2008-06-02, 05:53 AM
V would be voiced like Baron Ashura

Beholder1995
2008-06-02, 06:08 AM
I've thought about this. I've also thought about a series of OotS movies. The problem is, where would they break off? I mean, could one epidsode cover 5 strips? 10? 30?

Benj
2008-06-02, 02:56 PM
I thought you might divide the episodes like so

Series 1
1 (from start to eugene first appearing)
2 (from end of 1 to first sight of linear guild)
3 (from end of 2 to Nale stabbing Elan)
4 (from end of 3 to Call of Banjulluh scene)
5 (from end of 4 to first sight of Xykon and the throne room horde)
6 (from end of 5 to end of first story arc)

Series 2
1 (from end of series 1 to setting of into the forest)
2 (from end of 1 to tying up Samantha and bandit leader and abondoning them)
3 (from end of 2 to first sight of Miko's face)
4 (from end of 3 to leaving the dirt farmers)
5 (from end of 4 to Miko dragging them off in chains)
6 (from end of 5 to Shojo 'in the beginning of time')
7 (from end of 6 to end of second story arc)

Series 3
1 (from end of series 2 to first sight of Nale's sending)
2 (from end of 1 to leaving Cliffport)
3 (from end of 2 to Elan using gift voucher)
4 (from end of 3 to Beginning of battle)
5 (from end of 4 to Xykon casting meteor swarm)
6 (from end of 5 to end of third story arc)
Havn't really though after that, Series 4 isn't completely written

Beholder1995
2008-06-02, 03:15 PM

Series 1

Series 2

Series 3

Ooh! Very nice! (clapping)

T-O-E
2008-06-02, 03:18 PM
Rich wouldn't do a cartoon unless he had full creative control, as stated in an interview I've read. Although I do like the idea of an oots animated series.

Sir_Elderberry
2008-06-02, 05:13 PM
I don't know that it would work very well. The D&D humor just wouldn't appeal to a large enough audience, and it'd be Firefly all over again.

Lupy
2008-06-02, 08:22 PM
I like your idea, but it should start with the prologue from DCF maybe. I'd like an animated series maybe on the site instead of TV then released to DVD.

David Argall
2008-06-03, 02:10 AM
My knowledge of comic to show is rather defective, but a casual guess is that we have way too little material. We might get thru one season, but I'd say we need to expand the material a lot, and that means our writer is going to have to yield control, at least to some extent.

Benj
2008-06-03, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure, I think some comics could easily warrant a minute or two film, (some, like the one where Miko kills Shojo could probably have more). In my assignment i usually give at least 20 stripos per episode, so this ought to easily make half-hour episodes. If anything some, like from Xykon casting meteor swarm to the end of the battle for Azure City, might even run long.

Beholder1995
2008-06-03, 05:41 PM
I'm not sure, I think some comics could easily warrant a minute or two film, (some, like the one where Miko kills Shojo could probably have more). In my assignment i usually give at least 20 stripos per episode, so this ought to easily make half-hour episodes. If anything some, like from Xykon casting meteor swarm to the end of the battle for Azure City, might even run long.

Right. But at 20 strips per episode, even if there were 1000 strips there'd only be enough material for three seasons, tops. (1000/20=50, right?) Although... in the world of animated TV shows that's still pretty impressive. But as stated before, a lot is D&D/gaming humor. Even if it was centered on a nerdy audience (Spike TV... maybe?...) it still wouldn't be very popular. And how would it be animated? Would it still be stick style, or would it be more lifelike? (See images in the Artist's block thread in Arts&Crafts.)

Firestar27
2008-06-03, 09:55 PM
Reading the strips out loud takes a long time. About 1 hour for the first story arc. It wouldn't work as a TV show (the breaking points aren't spaced evenly apart). But it might work as a straight to DVD movie (because there aren't enough fans for it to work on the big screen). The fight scenes would have to be expanded. In the comic, we often see the beginning and end of a fight, except for the major battles. That clearly wouldn't work in a movie. Also, the jokes would need to be spread out. A punchline (with multiple jokes) per page wouldn't work in movies, because that is a punchline every few seconds. At first it would be great, but it would become tiring. Rich would need to add a lot of material. Also, once it has to deal with producers, Rich loses creative control over at least a small part, if not more. And we know that Rich doesn't want to lose any control (it's his creation, he rightfully should control it). A straight to DVD movie might work, if Rich was fine with someone else handling publication (Rich would want to work on advertisements, I would guess, because they are creative representations of OOTS, but someone else could handle the business aspect to save time). It would be very hard to pull off. Especially because some scenes follow the "talking is a free action" rule. It is a good joke, but hard to pull off in real time.

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-06-04, 01:07 AM
Actually, flash animations might do better than TV. Think Homestar Runner...but with OOTS!

An Enemy Spy
2008-06-06, 02:44 PM

Series 1

Series 2

Series 3

If it was an english show that would work, but Rich lives in the USA and over here one season has around 15-25 episodes instead of 6

Benj
2008-06-07, 05:36 AM
You could combine it into just one big season, not all shows have to return, plus prequels which I didn't mention, (you could churn out 3 episods of OtOotPCs and 5 for SoD) that surpasses the 25 mark, plus Oots is grow remember, a TV show would be even slower than the comic in production and by the time it was done we would have seen the last OOTS strip ever (depressing thought). I reckon you could make at least 2 American series out of it.

Anyway, whats wrong with England?

An Enemy Spy
2008-06-07, 11:09 AM
I didn't say anything is wrong with England (other than roundabouts of course:smallyuk:) I just said our TV is different

Oregano
2008-06-07, 11:39 AM
Roundabouts aren't as bad as you Americans seem to think, they're also not uniquely British. A series could work but I'd be concerned about the animation(it would have to be animated).

Benj
2008-06-10, 12:13 PM
I don't see that it would have to be animated. It's just you could never get enough of an audience to fund A-movie actors, so what, they aren't the only ones in the world who can act.

As for the content thing, I believe somebody pointed out that many fight scenes jsut show the beginning and the end, they could be expanded, thus also spacing the jokes further apart. Maybe I didn't put enough episodes in. Secondly you have to remember we're only about halfway through the whole story.

jimpoplyr
2008-06-13, 10:16 PM
My take on it is that 1)Rich needs to have full creative control; 2)it would have to be something that runs in it's own time frame "season-wise"; and 3)you'd never be able to agree on who should do the voices for each character, so...
WAIT! I have it!
He could do it as an online comic strip!