PDA

View Full Version : A ninja-related conundrum

Dave Rapp
2008-06-02, 01:51 AM
I've been trying to figure this one out for ages. If you were to put a ninja inside* of a force field, with the generator OUTSIDE the field so the ninja can't get to it, can the ninja escape?

It's sort of a colliding juggernauts situation. One on hand a ninja can escape from pretty much anything, but I can't picture a realistically outlandish method for the ninja to do so.

*assume that the field surrounds the ninja on all sides, so it can't just jump or dig its way out either

Felixaar
2008-06-02, 02:14 AM
exactly what does the forcefeild DO when touched?

Dave Rapp
2008-06-02, 02:50 AM
I suppose that would make a difference. Let's divide this into two scenarios; one where the field is just an impassible barrier that can only be turned off by turning off or destroying the generator, and the other where it's one of those fields-of-death that fatally burns/electrocutes you on contact.

ghost_warlock
2008-06-02, 04:15 AM
Why can't the ninja just wait a bit for one of his buddies to let him out. After all, if you see one ninja you can bet there are others lurking nearby.

BisectedBrioche
2008-06-02, 04:56 AM
Ghost's right, he just needs to wait for some help.

Solo
2008-06-02, 04:59 AM
He pops into roguespace and then back out on the other side of the field.

Felixaar
2008-06-02, 05:23 AM
the quesiton, guys, is not WILL the ninja be freed, it's CAN he escape - so waiting for help doesnt qualify.

Now, if the forcefield simply causes whatever passes through it to die, then easy, shuriken.

If it's an impassable forcefield, then it's more difficult. The only way I can think of is if said ninja already KNEW this would happen, or atleast suspected, and had a contingency plan, such as some explosives or like, a special call to summon help.

Thus, much like the Wolverine V. Jedi matter, it depends on how GOOD the ninja (or Jedi) is.

randman22222
2008-06-02, 05:26 AM
Here's the answer. If such an impassible force field did exist, then no ninja could ever be caught inside one; simply by knowing they exist would make them cautious enough not to get caught in one.

Reinboom
2008-06-02, 05:33 AM
The ninja cons another to destroy it for them, by making a cunningly attractive disguise. Or by just being attractive... whatever.
I would rule this as an escape, and not assistance, given there was no friendlyness before the incident.

A more difficult scenario would be one involving two forcefields. One with, say, a 20 foot diameter and one with a 40 foot diameter. The two generators are both in the gap on alternate sides of the interior of the larger forcefield. Thus, the generators themselves are ultimately protected as well.

Here's the answer. If such an impassible force field did exist, then no ninja could ever be caught inside one; simply by knowing they exist would make them cautious enough not to get caught in one.

Alternative scenario: The knowledge of the forcefield means that in this case the forcefield is, in fact, fake and is being utilized for an "innocent bait" trap scenario.

Phase
2008-06-02, 05:33 AM
Randman is right. If it exists, ninjas prepare for it.

unstattedCommoner
2008-06-02, 05:38 AM
A single ninja will escape easily, 4 with difficulty, 8 or more will never escape.

Felixaar
2008-06-02, 05:44 AM
you overestimate ninja's. that and the problem is "if you were able to catch the ninja in...", it's hypothetical.

edit: I also agree with sweetie's analysis.

Freshmeat
2008-06-02, 05:54 AM
Randman is right. If it exists, ninjas prepare for it.

Ninjas don't have Batman's powers of contingency planning!

I think everything depends on:

which nationality the ninja is (is it an American Ninja, a Scottish ninja or a Japanese Ninja?)
how menacingly they can stare into the camera
how much their bandana blows in a dramatic wind (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DramaticWind), even indoors

HeroicSociopath
2008-06-02, 05:58 AM
The ninja would just use the force to turn the force-field generator off from the outside.

Note: Jedi are ninja in space.

BisectedBrioche
2008-06-02, 06:11 AM
Actually the Jedi have more in common with Samurai. The Sith a more ninja-like.

Felixaar
2008-06-02, 06:27 AM

I think everything depends on:

which nationality the ninja is (is it an American Ninja, a Scottish ninja or a Japanese Ninja?)
how menacingly they can stare into the camera
how much their bandana blows in a dramatic wind (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DramaticWind), even indoors

Or australian ninja's. Australia: We could have ninjas.

ghost_warlock
2008-06-02, 08:33 AM
Or australian ninja's. Australia: We could have ninjas.

With their dreaded boomerang-shuriken and caltrops made from 'gator teeth, Australian ninjas also have some of the most deadly poisons in the world.

Additionally, some Australian ninjas train their spider familiars to piggyback on the boomerang-shuriken and then attack unsuspecting foes with poisonous fury.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-02, 08:45 AM
SCOTTISH NINJA'S! (http://www.drmcninja.com/)

Player_Zero
2008-06-02, 09:14 AM
The ninja doesn't need to escape, you were tricked into believing that he was in the forcefield when, in fact, he was behind you.

truemane
2008-06-02, 10:25 AM
Okay, a couple of things that we need to get out of the way first:

1. Ninja can escape from anything. Therefore, if you have a ninja trapped in an inescapable situation, by definition, the prisoner is NOT a ninja. QED.

2. If it WERE possible for a ninja to be trapped in an inescapable situation, the situation, by definition, is not inescapable. QED II.

So that leaves us with the Ninja and the Force Field. First of all you have to contet with the Ninjistu Uncertainty Principle, which says that you can know a Ninja's location OR Method of Escape, but never both.

So if you know for certain that the Ninja is IN the force field, it's imposisble to know how he will escape. If, on the other hand, if you know how he plans on escaping, you can't know where he is and it's possible that he's not even in the force field after all.

And the problem is that, just by looking in the Force Field to see if he's still there, you decide, in the act of looking, whether or not he has already escaped.

randman22222
2008-06-02, 10:32 AM
<snip> First of all you have to contet with the Ninjistu Uncertainty Principle, which says that you can know a Ninja's location OR Method of Escape, but never both. <snip>

Sigged. That was EPIC.

Telonius
2008-06-02, 12:11 PM

Well, not necessarily. Ninja-ness and Batman-ness aren't necessarily separate from each other. In addition to being a millionaire and a scientist, Batman is also a ninja. But obviously not all ninjas are Batman. I would think that if the ninja in question happens to be Batman, the force field doesn't have a chance. And other ninjas may have planning abilities similar in magnitude to Batman's. So at least some ninjas could escape.

NinjaHippy
2008-06-02, 04:36 PM
With their dreaded boomerang-shuriken and caltrops made from 'gator teeth, Australian ninjas also have some of the most deadly poisons in the world.

Additionally, some Australian ninjas train their spider familiars to piggyback on the boomerang-shuriken and then attack unsuspecting foes with poisonous fury.

*adopts Steve Irwin accent* See this little fellah here? This guy can leap onto unsuspecting prey from a distance of 12 meters, and immediately eviscerate him with over sixteen different kinds of bladed weaponry, all in the space of under 3 seconds. But don't let that fool ya, they're really quite friendly once you get to know them.
*takes a katana in the chest, then dies*
Aww, bugger...

Lu-Tzao
2008-06-04, 08:25 PM
Frankly, part of what this is, is *how* was the ninja trapped in this forcefield? Was he teleported in? Did he trigger a trap and the forcefield formed around him? Either way, assuming that he has to somehow enter the forcefield, it is more likely that he would not be in it in the first place. I mean, assuming he triggered a trap, did he not see the generator? Nor the trap? If not, he is not a ninja. Or, has he always been inside the forcefield? In which case, how did he become a ninja without ever leaving it? There are many questions. But only one answer.

The ninja is/is not/might be inside the forcefield/outside the forcefield/in a parallel dimension and he is behind you.

Felixaar
2008-06-05, 07:23 AM
*adopts Steve Irwin accent* See this little fellah here? This guy can leap onto unsuspecting prey from a distance of 12 meters, and immediately eviscerate him with over sixteen different kinds of bladed weaponry, all in the space of under 3 seconds. But don't let that fool ya, they're really quite friendly once you get to know them.
*takes a katana in the chest, then dies*
Aww, bugger...

That was terrible. And yet, I still laughed.

You non-australians really need to come to Australia and get out of the stereotypes... and thats when we shove you into the cage with the ROBOTIC POISONED SNAKES!!! (the cage is also evil).

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-05, 07:30 AM

You non-australians really need to come to Australia and get out of the stereotypes... and thats when we shove you into the cage with the ROBOTIC POISONED SNAKES!!! (the cage is also evil).
And I'l come to visit and then torture you while you are starve by eating delicious cookies and milk.!

Felixaar, I must admit, we make admirable theories and plans toghetter.

NinjaHippy
2008-06-05, 05:41 PM

Haha, I actually have quite the healthy respect for Australia. Any continent with more methods per square mile of killing you quickly and painfully can't be ALL bad.:smallbiggrin:

Lu-Tzao
2008-06-05, 05:53 PM
Haha, I actually have quite the healthy respect for Australia. Any continent with more methods per square mile of killing you quickly and painfully can't be ALL bad.:smallbiggrin:

So.... you like the Vatican City? I mean, if they have *one* method of killing you quickly, they must be winning, right? :smalltongue:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-06-05, 08:20 PM
Continents. Not countries.

Paragon Badger
2008-06-06, 12:54 AM
Technically, it's a city-state. :smallbiggrin:

...And the ninja teleports out.

Dryken
2008-06-06, 01:37 AM
Now would this be an imprisonment scenario where the ninja WILL eventually starve to death or does someone want information from the ninja? Because I have the answer for both:

1) If it is a matter of wanting information, the captor will have to turn the forcefield off or at least weaken it in order to get food to the ninja. That will be the ninja's time to strike. Kills the people delivering the food, kills the captor and escapes.

2) If the ninja is just left to die, the ninja can go in to a meditative state in which they lower their pulse to the point where the ninja shows all the signs of being dead. When someone turns off the forcefield to get the ninja out, bam. Kill the lackeys, kill the captor and escape.

Funkyodor
2008-06-06, 04:01 AM
I like the meditative state idea. But go one step further. Through martial arts meditation involving smuggled in incense, the Ninja can "out of body experience" him/her-self toward the generator and disrupt it. Followed by a cool & awe inspiring Ninja escape sequence, a fake double can be left behind so the world can still think the Ninja is still in the force field prison.