PDA

View Full Version : Bardic Help - I leveled!

SamTheCleric
2008-06-02, 07:03 AM
So, after surviving an 8d6 breath weapon at 3rd level (!!!)... I managed to eek out a level... the whole party leveled to 4...

I need to pick spells!

I get 2 second level spells known... and if it helps the decision making process... I'm the party "face", my combat usefulness is usually relegated to singing and shortbow-ing... (though I recently bought a whip and have been tripping and aiding-other on our beefer fighter types)... I do serve as backup healer as our cleric is fighter 1/cleric 3 (now). The rest of the party is: Rogue 1/Dragon Shaman 3, Fighter 4, Ranger 1/Scout 3, Conjurer 4.

Currently, My spells known at first level are: Cure Light Wounds, Inspirational Boost and Ironthunder Horn.

Pretty much any 3.5 book is fair game, as long as I bring the stinkier cheese to the DM for his approval first... which is generally easy to get because his philosphy is "If the PCs can use it, so can I."

Thanks in advance, my friends.

Solo
2008-06-02, 07:09 AM
Alter Self and Mirror Image

May I once again point out that the Battledancer (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=55571) is fully capable of buffing his party up, debuffing the enemy, then charges in for the slaughter?

And he's a skillmonkey afterwards. Yay.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-02, 07:11 AM
So by pick 2... you meant... pick the 2 that aren't Haste (it's bard 3)

I was actually looking at Tongues as one of the two... then get an in combat or more generally useful spell. Maybe Tongues and Mirror Image?

Solo
2008-06-02, 07:13 AM
So by pick 2... you meant... pick the 2 that aren't Haste (it's bard 3)

Trifling details!

I was actually looking at Tongues as one of the two... then get an in combat or more generally useful spell. Maybe Tongues and Mirror Image?

Why would you want Tongues?

SamTheCleric
2008-06-02, 07:16 AM
... because I'm a semi-diplomancer half-elf bard with the racial substitution level that lets me talk a calm emotions into someone?

There's also Magical Savant from Complete Mage... rounds per level, +4 insight on UMD and you can take 10 on your UMD check. Of course, at 4th level, I have 1 wand... and I know what it is.

Ranis
2008-06-02, 07:18 AM
If you have the spell compendium, look up a couple of the most useful bard spells evar: Disquietude and Miser's Envy. Shatter's also something that shouldn't be overlooked.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-02, 07:20 AM
:smallsmile: And what fantastic things do these spells do, pray tell.

Person_Man
2008-06-02, 09:40 AM
I suggest:

Alter Self: You can take many forms with this. Look through the various monster manuals, and you can easily gain big stat bonuses, Fly/Swim/Climb speeds as needed, special abilities, etc. Helps massively with Disguise.

Calm Emotions: If your Diplomancy is high enough, Calm Emotions can often let you delay combat and get a couple of extra attempts to make an enemy a friend.

Detect Thoughts: More roleplaying fun. Great for a circumstance bonus to social Skills.

Shatter: Destroy any enemy's weapon (or whatever). Very useful, especially at mid levels. Though I generally avoid it, because you're often destroying your treasure.

Jig of the Waves: Stormwrack: Enemies (HD up to your Caster Level) must Save or DANCE! They take a -2 penalty to attacks/saves/AC/etc, and each round they move at half speed in A RANDOM DIRECTION. This limits them to a Standard Action every round, and creates a ton of AoO opportunities. Tell your party members to use reach weapons and Combat Reflexes.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-02, 09:42 AM
Jig of the Waves: Stormwrack: Enemies (HD up to your Caster Level) must Save or DANCE! They take a -2 penalty to attacks/saves/AC/etc, and each round they move at half speed in A RANDOM DIRECTION. This limits them to a Standard Action every round, and creates a ton of AoO opportunities. Tell your party members to use reach weapons and Combat Reflexes.

That's -perfect-. I'm a Half-Aquatic Elf!

Keld Denar
2008-06-02, 11:34 AM

The spell is great, but the name needs work...I'm partial to:

Periwinkle’s Precarious Promenade

its just more....evocative, especially since a promenade is a move in certain styles of dance that includes movement, often in pairs, but sometimes solo.

Maybe:

Hendrigo's Hillarious Hammerdance

Verbal components include shouting STOP! Hammer Time! and a dance which includes much shuffling back and forth.

Man, if only to see the faces of the other players faces when you shout STOP! Will save TIME! Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh.

Person_Man
2008-06-02, 12:23 PM
That's -perfect-. I'm a Half-Aquatic Elf!

Flufftastic!!!!

Definitely read through Stormwrack then. It has a lot of great options for water themed PCs.

Also, have you thought about PrC? Or are you sticking with strait Bard?

SamTheCleric
2008-06-02, 12:25 PM
I'm gonna go Lyric Thaumaturge, I think. I didn't exactly plan on a prestige at the start, so I need to pick up Melodic Casting at 6 and then step in Lyric at 7.

Yeah, my feats are far from optimal, but they fit the fluff I created. (Water Adaptation, Versatile Performer).

holywhippet
2008-06-02, 04:04 PM
... because I'm a semi-diplomancer half-elf bard with the racial substitution level that lets me talk a calm emotions into someone?

Since you are a bard you have languages as a class skill. They only cost one point so every level grab a new one or two.

I'd go for cure moderate wounds and enthrall. Heroism and invisibility are good choices also.

Chronicled
2008-06-02, 04:20 PM
It seems the perfect spell has already been mentioned, but I'll add one more that I love to get when able: Entice Gift from the SpC. If the target fails their will save, they spend their next turn moving to you (if able to in a move action) and handing you whatever they're holding. There's all manner of use for this, my favorite being to force the BBEG to hand over the McGuffin (and then turning invisible/running away fast/using it on BBEG/other profitable things). Or you can cripple that spiked chain fighter. Or just use it for general mischief. Whenever someone has something you want... now you do!