PDA

View Full Version : Oots videogame

poxjedi
2008-06-02, 07:18 AM
The Rain-Slicked Precipice of Darkness, or 'The Penny Arcade Game' has just been released on xbox live for about $20. What do you think about a game like this released for OotS? What would you pay for it? Would it just follow along the story of the comics an release new episodes every time another 100 comics was finished, or would it be a separate adventure entirely? Would it be a D&D-based game, or would it be a JRPG or RTS? And of course, would you play it?

Beholder1995
2008-06-02, 07:37 AM
Aaah... we were due for our monthly OotS video game thread.

I think the instalments of an OotS video game should cover the books, like "The Dungeon of Dorukan" Then, if that was succesful, then behold the sequel: "OotS II: No Cure for the Paladin Blues". And then, if the main series was succesful, we could go into prequel games, strategy OotS games, puzzle games, novels, bobbleheads, amusement parks, etc.

I think an OotS game would make for a good RPG, or maybe a tactical RPG. Or possibly a small-scale RTS. I made a thread about this a couple months ago, and I wondered what features it'd have. I think a video game should also include the ability to toggle between OotS characters.

meowwise
2008-06-02, 08:14 AM
I agree, I think if OOTs was made into a video game though , an RPG would be kinda hard to cover the story. I like the Idea of the whole "dorukan's dungeon" thing. If some one made an OOTS game, god, I would so buy it.

Kurald Galain
2008-06-02, 08:18 AM
I think an OotS game would make for a good RPG, or maybe a tactical RPG. Or possibly a small-scale RTS. I made a thread about this a couple months ago,

I can has link please?

Beholder1995
2008-06-02, 08:53 AM
I can has link please?

Erm... how do you make links?....

If you really, desperately need to find it, just use the search tool. (I believe my thread was titled "OotS Videogame", or maybe "OotS Video Game". Try both. (We at this forum, apparently, aren't very creative.))

Ionizer
2008-06-02, 09:58 AM
I'd be happy with any D&D themed game that doesn't suck.

poxjedi
2008-06-02, 06:58 PM
I'm thinking of a 2D side-scroller (after all, they are stick figures) based on the D&D SRD. Of course, if that ever happened, would you be allowed to level the characters any way you wanted? For example, when Roy claims to have only one rank in Ride. If the player chooses to max out Roy's Ride skill, would that joke then become ruined? Also this would necessitate Burlew statting out all the characters, and furthermore allowing the players to meddle with his creations. One more problem is that the XP-Level chart is not a part of the SRD, and so a new scale for the improvement of characters would be needed (although you could just have characters level up when the comic dictates).

Perhaps a Final Fantasy style JRPG, where the chance to hit and damage are calculated using D&D rules. Maybe even have a little die-rolling animation whenever a character does something.

hrak
2008-06-02, 07:15 PM
I would by it faster than you can reply to this thread!

DraPrime
2008-06-02, 07:32 PM
I'd like it if it was made by the same people who made Baldur's Gate. Those people knew how to make a damn good D&D game.

dragoncmd
2008-06-02, 07:44 PM
Whats wrong with the flash one?

Mauve Shirt
2008-06-02, 07:49 PM
Whats wrong with the flash one?

1. It doesn't cost at least $30
2. One exists? Please link.

Asarth
2008-06-02, 07:55 PM
2. One exists? Please link.

This (http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/abardam/stuff/ootsgame-15.swf) flash one, I believe. I don't remember who made it; but the thread title was something about boredom and flash. Have fun.

TARINunit9
2008-06-03, 01:16 AM
This topic has been "threaded" before. Quite a few times if memory serves!

Anyway, if there were to be an OotS video game, I think it should be a DnD engine. And the game should follow the comic's story, with maybe some extra programmer-generated side missions. Most importantly, the game needs to be freeware, or at least free. Why pay for a game about OotS when I read the comic for free?

Firestar27
2008-06-03, 09:48 PM
This (http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/abardam/stuff/ootsgame-15.swf) flash one, I believe. I don't remember who made it; but the thread title was something about boredom and flash. Have fun.

It was made by Abardam. It's in the URL path.

DreadSpoon
2008-06-03, 11:25 PM
A few talented folks could put together the OOTS plot into a NWN module. Maybe a NWN2 module. Some (increasingly rare) talent could be used to make a Baldur's Gate module.

There are plenty of ways for fans with relatively little time or financial backing to make an OOTS game.

Copyright would of course be an issue, but there are legal (if not necessarily ethical) ways around that if you really feel the need to have a fan game.

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-06-04, 01:13 AM
Haha, that was awesome.

I think an OOTS videogame would have to be pseudo-RPG. Not actually statted or anything. But instead filled with stuff that has little to do with the game. You get skills and such that have amusing effects on the game, etc...

The 1HP Wonder
2008-06-04, 02:27 AM
I'm thinking of a 2D side-scroller (after all, they are stick figures) based on the D&D SRD.
Oh, come on now, don't you think 3D-rendered stick figures would be funny?

- 1HP

Jube
2008-06-04, 04:45 AM
One of the best things about the PA Game is that it doesn't follow any of the comics, it tells it's own (Excellent) story and appeals to everyone.

Could an OoTS game do that? Eh probably.

Have the game follow the story of the comics would be all well and good, but for the most part it'd seem a little repetitive. I mean, it'd be just like reReading the comic archives.

Better if it started off with the comics beginning (For non fans) and then went off on a side quest, nothing(or little) to do with the overall OoTS story, that was still excellent in it's own right.

That said, animation kind'a works against it. A stick figure comic? Sure, especially one like this. A stick figure game? Eh. Not so much.

Deathwisher
2008-06-04, 12:39 PM
One of the best things about the PA Game is that it doesn't follow any of the comics, it tells it's own (Excellent) story and appeals to everyone.

Could an OoTS game do that? Eh probably.

Have the game follow the story of the comics would be all well and good, but for the most part it'd seem a little repetitive. I mean, it'd be just like reReading the comic archives.

Better if it started off with the comics beginning (For non fans) and then went off on a side quest, nothing(or little) to do with the overall OoTS story, that was still excellent in it's own right.

That said, animation kind'a works against it. A stick figure comic? Sure, especially one like this. A stick figure game? Eh. Not so much.

Would you want to keep the comedy part? Doing that in a video game is extremely difficult, unless you want to railroad the player into following a strict predetermined storyline, which is not much appreciated. Plus, insisting on comedy makes a strategy part almost impossible, since part of the fun is in watching OOTS characters make foolish mistakes that any half-decent player would avoid in a real game.

On the other hand, leaving out the comedy would take away a lot of the fun of OOTS. You'd end up with just another RPG.

Beholder1995
2008-06-04, 12:46 PM
Would a game like this have any boss fights? Well... I hope so. What if the game, instead of starting from where the OotS start (level seven or whatnot), the game starts at the very beginning of the Dungeon of Dorukan? That would be interesting. You could also incorporate a maze level (something I'm always fond of) like that.

chiasaur11
2008-06-04, 12:54 PM
Would you want to keep the comedy part? Doing that in a video game is extremely difficult, unless you want to railroad the player into following a strict predetermined storyline, which is not much appreciated. Plus, insisting on comedy makes a strategy part almost impossible, since part of the fun is in watching OOTS characters make foolish mistakes that any half-decent player would avoid in a real game.

On the other hand, leaving out the comedy would take away a lot of the fun of OOTS. You'd end up with just another RPG.

Comedy? In a video Game? Unheard Of?

Cough, Paper Mario, Portal, Psychonaughts, even some of the banter in Halo, Cough

Jops
2008-06-04, 01:21 PM
Putting humor in a game is actually a very easy thing. There're 101 different ways to introduce gags and other hilarious goodies, without spoiling the gameplay.

The real issues for a OotS games would be:
1) D&D references. Atari (or better, whoever bought Atari) holds the exclusive over every D&D title for PC or consolle. This means that, to avoid legal problems, an OotS game gotta be D&D-free. This is not impossible, but since OotS is strongly D&D-related, it's surely problematic. The risk could be that, in order to avoid a lawsuit, the game is spoiled of the true nature of the comic.

2) The art. I actually love D&D sticky figures, but the average videogamer would find a 2D minimalistic graphic not appealing enough. And even if the comic got really a lot of fans, I'm afraid we don't make a large enough target audience.
Yeah, it can be possible to revise the graphic design of an OotS videogame so to make it more appealing to non-OotS fans, without twisting it too much... but i'd feel really sorry for the artist who got to do the job: it gotta be a real pain.

T-O-E
2008-06-04, 02:07 PM
I'd like it if it was made by the same people who made Baldur's Gate. Those people knew how to make a damn good D&D game.

I've heard neverwinter nights and icewind dale (other dnd games made by bioware) were awful. Hopefully dragon age will be better.

Schulzy
2008-06-04, 07:11 PM
I've heard neverwinter nights and icewind dale (other dnd games made by bioware) were awful. Hopefully dragon age will be better.

Never speak against Neverwinter Nights or Bioware. Ever. It's the ninth deadly sin.

Ned the undead
2008-06-06, 11:08 AM
Fire Emblem style.
But you can choose power attack before you attack and all that.
Battlefield control spells we be handled on the would be show on the screen where you choose your movement and Area spells flash to each enemy taking the damage.

Killersquid
2008-06-06, 11:26 AM

You'd better start running.

Beholder1995
2008-06-06, 11:45 AM
Never speak against Neverwinter Nights or Bioware. Ever. It's the ninth deadly sin.

What's the eighth? :smalltongue:

Starhammer
2008-06-06, 12:41 PM
What's the eighth? :smalltongue:

It's either ignorance of deadly sins or telling people what the deadly sin they don't know is... I forget which...

Blanth
2008-06-06, 12:55 PM
Oh, come on now, don't you think 3D-rendered stick figures would be funny?

"I finished the OOtS game last night. It was easy."
"EASY? I spent six days trying to pass the first boss!"
"Yeah. It was easy."
"How?"
"Well when you are in combat..."
"Yeah?"
"Turn sideways."
"GAAAAAAAAH!"

David Argall
2008-06-06, 02:25 PM
Now one problem with jokes in videogames is that jokes are funny the first time, but the 15th? So if you play a game a dozen times, the jokes are just clutter. Of course, a lot of games aren't played that often, but it still is a limit.

An Enemy Spy
2008-06-07, 11:22 AM
It should be a side scroller for the Dungeon of Dorukan then switch to an RPG Then be an RTS for the battle AC and then revert to RPG

Beholder1995
2008-06-07, 11:34 AM
It should be a side scroller for the Dungeon of Dorukan then switch to an RPG Then be an RTS for the battle AC and then revert to RPG

Nah, games that constantly change genres are really tacky, in my opinion. I think it should be a 3-D, RTS style game where you can only control one player at a time, and toggle between the players.

Also, should the first boss be Trigak or the Mind Flayer?

Lissou
2008-06-07, 11:51 AM
I have to say my preferred style would be a point&click adventure game. It fits with the humor well and allows many funny jokes depending on which items you look at, try to pick up or try to combine.

As for the stick figure "problem", well, Paper Mario played well on something like that so it doesn't seem impossible. Plus, p&c games are about the plot, the graphism rarely matters.

To be good, though, it would need to have a plot that is not follwing the storyline. It would also either allow you to choose your character at the beginning and have a slightly different story, or allow you to switch between characters like Day of the Tentacle did.

An Enemy Spy
2008-06-13, 09:51 PM
You play as Roy and command the other characters but as you beat levels you can unlock the rest of the OotS

xyzzy
2008-06-14, 08:59 PM
Just do a simple adventure game - cel-shaded stick figures with relatively thick arms and legs in a 3D world would look perfect.

Begin in the Dungeon of Dorukan, and let the player control one character at a time with the others controlled by other people or the computer. Have lots of mazes in a variety of environments, put a small town nearby where we can talk to a few NPCs that say various funny things, with stuff to buy that gradually becomes better as you get deeper in to the Dungeon, with lotso f different routes, and put lots of interesting, varied bosses inside.

Gamerlord
2008-06-15, 05:58 AM
I think a final fantasy RPG whould be awesome,eatiher that or a RTS,