PDA

View Full Version : Kelgore's Grave Mist

SamTheCleric
2008-06-02, 08:31 AM
Is it just me... or is this spell rediculously overpowered for what it does? Second level wizard spell, Medium Range, 20' radius... 1d6 cold damage per round and fatigue. No save.

An AoE auto fatigue just strikes me as way too good for what it does (the fatigue is standard fatigue, no duration... so it lasts until resting... -2 strength and dex, can't run or charge)

KillianHawkeye
2008-06-02, 09:23 AM
As a DM who has a PC that really likes using this spell, I can say that it's not as bad as you think. The damage is negligible, and the status effect is minor. The Str and Dex bonus each go down by 1 point, and they can't charge or run? Not bad at all.

Unless they're able to stack fatigue effects to turn the targets exhausted, or it gets used against an uber-charger. Hmm... that's actually a really good way to defuse a charge-built character. My players aren't exactly huge optimizers, though, so I haven't had to worry about that one. :smallbiggrin:

SamTheCleric
2008-06-02, 09:26 AM
Well my thought was a Grave Mist followed by a touch of fatigue... :smalltongue:

Gorbash
2008-06-02, 09:32 AM
Waves of Fatigue is a 5th lvl spell and does the same (except the damage) in a 30 ft cone. I don't get it. :smallconfused:

SamTheCleric
2008-06-02, 09:39 AM
Waves of Fatigue is a 5th lvl spell and does the same (except the damage) in a 30 ft cone. I don't get it. :smallconfused:

This is a -second- level spell that has a bigger effect that that 5th level spell.

KillianHawkeye
2008-06-02, 09:40 AM
Well my thought was a Grave Mist followed by a touch of fatigue... :smalltongue:

I would say that touch of fatigue being (I assume) a single target touch spell would be a limiting factor, unless your strategy is to follow that with running away and doing ranged attacks.

My stance on that strategy is you deserve to get an advantage if you come up with a good combo like that. YMMV.

EDIT: Maybe the spell is underleveled or overpowered, but I wouldn't say it's RIDICULOUSLY so without the aid of other combined effects.

Gorbash
2008-06-02, 09:48 AM
This is a -second- level spell that has a bigger effect that that 5th level spell.

My point exactly. HOW? :smallconfused: Where's that spell from?

SamTheCleric
2008-06-02, 09:52 AM
My point exactly. HOW? :smallconfused: Where's that spell from?

Players Handbook 2. Lasts ROUNDS per level... whereas WoF is an immediate thing.

Blanks
2008-06-02, 10:12 AM
Perhaps its the 5th level spell that is wrongly placed? (*don't know either spell, just a thought*)

Douglas
2008-06-02, 10:38 AM
Waves of Fatigue is instantaneous - anyone hit by it is fatigued and stays fatigued until something happens to change that, and you only have to worry about who's in the area when you cast it.

Kelgore's Grave Mist is 1 round/level in a persistent spread. All your enemies have to do to not be fatigued any more is move out of the fog, and if any of your friends want to move into melee with fatigued enemies, they get fatigued too.

I'm not sure Waves of Fatigue is really worth a 5th level spell slot, but Kelgore's Grave Mist has enough drawbacks that I don't think it's overpowered.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-02, 10:39 AM
The duration listed is for the mist itself. The condition of fatigue has an 8 hour duration...

Unless the intent was the fatigue only lasts rounds per level, which would be much better.

MammonAzrael
2008-06-02, 10:44 AM
Or maybe Wave of Fatigue sucks and we should note that this is now where near Shivering Touch. Just a nifty useful spell. And mixed with other spells or effects to get exhausted is just good thinking. After all, Exhausted isn't an auto-win button.