PDA

View Full Version : Is there any kind of procedure for requesting an avatar?

Beholder1995
2008-06-02, 12:21 PM
I mean, do I PM an artist, go to the "request an avatar" thread, or start my own request thread? All three? Which is most common?

Roland St. Jude
2008-06-02, 12:30 PM
I mean, do I PM an artist, go to the "request an avatar" thread, or start my own request thread? All three? Which is most common?

I would recommend that you go to the "request an avatar" thread. That way your request can be seen by people looking to make avatars right away.

You could PM artists whose work you like, but recognize that they may not be taking requests, may not be interested in drawing what you want, or may not be frequenting the boards much any more.

Please don't start a new thread. That's what the request thread is for.

Beholder1995
2008-06-02, 12:54 PM
What if I don't like the first avatar offered? Is it considered rude to decline an offer? (I'm guessing yes) If so, is there any way to politely decline an avatar?

Charity
2008-06-02, 06:13 PM
That is for your conscience to decide...

but remember
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/7525/wigcathm0.jpg

BRC
2008-06-02, 07:07 PM
What if I don't like the first avatar offered? Is it considered rude to decline an offer? (I'm guessing yes) If so, is there any way to politely decline an avatar?

Yes, You accept it, say "Thanks" and "forget" to use it, then wait abit and try PMing an avatarist with "PM me" in their sig.

Haruki-kun
2008-06-02, 07:46 PM
Yes, You accept it, say "Thanks" and "forget" to use it, then wait abit and try PMing an avatarist with "PM me" in their sig.

It IS, however, perfectly fine to request small changes from the artist (make the hat bigger, different coloured clothes, more cowbell....) as long as you ask politely.

BRC
2008-06-02, 08:10 PM
It IS, however, perfectly fine to request small changes from the artist (make the hat bigger, different coloured clothes, more cowbell....) as long as you ask politely.
Of course, that's even expected. I was answering what one should do if they request an avatar from the thread and, rather than just not likinga few details, one dislikes the avatarist's style in general.

Serpentine
2008-06-02, 11:58 PM
I'd prefer that, if someone decides that they just don't like my style or the way I did it or plain-and-simple think it's crap, they give me the reason and politely decline it. I'm a fan of constructive criticism, though, and I'm sure other people wouldn't mind not being given a reason other than "it's just not what I'm looking for". I think it's ruder to lie.
edit: There's also the matter that if someone doesn't want to use one of my avatars, whether they've used it before or not, I'd like to take it back and put it up for adoption.

If you look at the first post in the Request thread (if I recall correctly...) it mentions a 3-repost limit (no more than one repost in... 48 hours?) and that if noone takes it up, you should try PMing the avatarist of your choice. I also suggest having a look through the Adoption thread, too. Avoid actually posting in there, though, unless you have some avatars to put up for adoption.

Whatever you do, be polite, appreciate that they're going to some effort for you, and remember to mention them in your sig.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-06-03, 02:02 AM
... one dislikes the avatarist's style in general.

Why it is also a good reason to have a look at the person's other work before commissioning one. :smallwink:

Beholder1995
2008-06-03, 06:02 AM
Sooo.... I found a really good avatar that I like... but how do I get it up? I went to "edit options" and it looks like it's asking for a website. Is there any way I can get my new avatar up from My Pictures? How do I do it?

I am soooo clueless.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-06-03, 06:12 AM
No you need to have the avatar hosted on a website. If you found one here it is already hosted somewhere and you can link to that location (If you show us where you found it we can give you the address), but you can also upload the picture yourself to one of the many image hosting sites on the internet like Google, Photobucket, Imageshack etc.

Serpentine
2008-06-03, 06:46 AM
Guide time!

If it is on your own computer, you need to host it somewhere. I use Photobucket (www.photobucket.com), but there's plenty of others. They're pretty straightforward, just get yourself an account and follow the instructions to upload it from your computer.
If it's already on the internet, say on the forums, you can do one of two things.
1. Use it straight from the other person's account. I don't mind if people do that with mine, but there's always the risk that I'll start rearranging my galleries, which means links will be broken and you'll have to go find it again. In some cases you may also be using their own bandwidth. Find Image URL and Change Avatar
2. Host it yourself, on your own account. Find your hosting site of choice and get an account. Find Image URL, and (in the case of Photobucket) select "from web URL". Paste the URL in the appropriate place. There will be a list of addresses near the uploaded image. Select the direct URL, Change Avatar.

Find Image URL: Right click the image and select "Properties". Copy the URL and take note of the dimensions.
Change Avatar: Go to UserCP, then Edit Options. Scroll down to Miscellaneous Options. Paste the URL into Custom Avatar URL. Tick "custom" under Avatar. Put in dimensions. Select Save Changes.

Etiquette (assuming you already have what you want):
1. Be polite.
2. Always attribute your avatar correctly.
3. I personally prefer to be told if you don't want to use it anymore.
4. DO NOT go altering someone else's work without their express permission.
Umm... I'm sure there should be more. Oh well.

Did I get everything important?

Beholder1995
2008-06-03, 07:35 AM
I think so... thanks! But tell me... do I need sign up to use photobucket?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-06-03, 07:45 AM
Yes, most requires that you create an account.

... Photobucket (www.photobucket.com), but there's plenty of others. They're pretty straightforward, just get yourself an account ...

Beholder1995
2008-06-03, 07:47 AM
Alright, I created an account on Photobucket. What do I do? Do I just select the image I want, then under "custom avatar" just type in the address it's at? I tried that, but it didn't work.

EDIT::: forget it. I got it to work! Now to credit the artist....

Serpentine
2008-06-03, 08:04 AM
My guide, 'twere ignored/misread twice :smallfrown:

just get yourself an account

Find your hosting site of choice and get an account.
There will be a list of addresses near the uploaded image. Select the direct URL

Paste the URL into Custom Avatar URL. Tick "custom" under Avatar. Put in dimensions. Select Save Changes.*sniff* :smallfrown:

Charity
2008-06-03, 08:35 AM
Cheer up Serp

http://www.nik.co.uk/weblog/images/2005_happy_nuts.jpg

Emperor Tippy
2008-06-03, 08:43 AM
Just FYI: Imageshack doesn't require an account to upload.

Beholder1995
2008-06-03, 11:33 AM
My guide, 'twere ignored/misread twice :smallfrown:

*sniff* :smallfrown:

I feel utterly ashamed for my thoughtless skimming. :smallfrown: But if it makes you feel any better, after it didn't work the first time, I re-read your post carefully, so you did help a lot. :smallwink:

One last question- Qwernt made gave me three Beholders- one red, one dark orange, and one orange. I'd like to use the two I'm not using as sigatars. How do I get images to appear in my posts/signature?

Oregano
2008-06-03, 11:40 AM
When you edit yor sig, or post even, there's a little mountain picture, click on it and type the web address of the image and then it's done or just usehttp://www.imageaddress.com

Beholder1995
2008-06-03, 11:42 AM
Got it.

Magical white text! Oooo!

Serpentine
2008-06-03, 11:45 AM
You got it? I didn't :smallconfused:
It's the URL code, yep. And you just put that in User CP -> Edit Signature.

Beholder1995
2008-06-03, 11:56 AM
'Kay. Got it all figured out. Check out my sig to see my Beholder friends!