PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Weapon Damage

Yakk
2008-06-02, 01:02 PM
So your character has 20 strength (+5), and has a longsword.

He attacks and hits with a power that does 2[W]+StrengthBonus damage, but does it two-handed.

How much damage does he do?
2d8+6 or 2d8+7?

I can't find a quote either way in the rulebooks, and this could change game-balance at mid/high levels significantly...

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-02, 01:04 PM
So your character has 20 strength (+5), and has a longsword.

He attacks and hits with a power that does 2[W]+StrengthBonus damage, but does it two-handed.

How much damage does he do?
2d8+6 or 2d8+7?

I can't find a quote either way in the rulebooks, and this could change game-balance at mid/high levels significantly...

2d8+6. The bonus is applied on top.

That's why Three-in-One Shot or Storm of destruction are awesome. The more times you can apply bonuses to a power, the better it is.

Yakk
2008-06-02, 01:14 PM
Can you actually cite a quote? Because I can find parts of the PHB that seem to back both assumptions, but nothing that goes out and says it... so I'm looking for actual evidence instead of just assumptions.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-02, 01:19 PM
Versatile: Versatile weapons are one-handed, but
you can use them two-handed. If you do, you deal an
extra 1 point of damage when you roll damage for the
weapon.

You're rolling for the damage once. It's no 1W+1W, but rather 2W. Since it's a combined result, the damage is only applied once.

Dark Tira
2008-06-02, 01:23 PM
Page 276 handles damage stacking.

Yakk
2008-06-02, 03:41 PM
Hmm. The wording is slightly different (When you roll your weapon damage) as opposed to (added to damage rolls), but it is probably an example of just variant wording.

Sad. That means that Ver. weapons become more and more obsolete as you gain levels.

Starbuck_II
2008-06-02, 04:48 PM
Hmm. The wording is slightly different (When you roll your weapon damage) as opposed to (added to damage rolls), but it is probably an example of just variant wording.

Sad. That means that Ver. weapons become more and more obsolete as you gain levels.

True, that means that while at low levels a longsword (2h) is just as good Greatsword. Slowly, Greatsword evens up being better (as it should).